socaliboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Feeling Sick After Weight Training

Hi Guys & Gals.

I hope I'm positing this in the right place.

I know this is a long post but please read it through as I’m hoping maybe someone out there may have some answers for me on what’s going on.

I’m a 42 year old male who has recently decided to get in good shape. I’m 6’0 tall and currently weigh 260lbs. What I’m trying to achieve is a toned “cut” look. I’m eating lean meats (mostly grilled chicken), eggs, nuts, and complex carbs mostly in the form of veggies. I also drink plenty of water and am using “Muscle Milk” shakes pre and post work outs. My body I notice doesn’t do well with breads, grains, and pastas (even the wheat or “brown” types) as they make me gain weight quickly. I also eat Kashi Go Lean cereal which is high in protein & fiber but not fat, and I eat it with 1 cup of almond milk which has a lot of nutrients including lots of calcium.

I have been told by coaches in high school and personal trainers in the past that I have a “V” shaped body type, perfect for weight lifting. I have also been told I am big boned. Even though I am 260lbs, most people think I weigh less. Most of my weight is concentrated in my belly, man boobs, and love handles. Everything below my belt is very toned (most likely because of years of carrying weight on me – I used to weigh 315 lbs).

I started my program last Thursday 9/5 and began with 2 days of cardio (45 min elliptical workouts with varying intensity) before I started my resistance training on 9/7.

The resistance program that I am using is the "Best Beginner Weight-Training Guide With Easy-To-Follow Workout" that I found on this website.

My first weight training session went really good. I did the exercises and figured out what weight felt appropriate (not too much, not too little). During my work out I was drinking Mio Fit (B Vitamins and Electrolytes mixed with water). I drank my muscle milk shake before and after the workout and also did 20 minutes of cardio after lifting, stretched and then called it a day. I did have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) 24 hours after the workout which lasted for 48 hours. During the following 2 days I did my cardio routine that I mentioned above.

Yesterday 9/10 my muscle soreness wasn’t too bad so I decided to hit the gym for my resistance training. I was really pumped up as I had received some good news earlier in the day and was looking forward to a good workout. I did not drink my muscle milk before working out but I did eat a full bowl of Kashi Go Lean (2 servings) about 1.5 hours before the workout. I also ate about 40-60 peanuts earlier in the day and that was all I had to eat.

I grabbed my Mio Fit and squirted into 32 Fl. Oz. of water and hit the gym. I was so pumped up for my workout that I blasted out 10 mins on the elliptical to get warmed up and then hit the resistance training. I honestly did more than the normal 2 sets that I usually do. I didn’t increase the weights any higher than I did from my first workout but I did do in some cases up to 4 sets of between 10-15 reps on my different body parts.

Part of this was due to the machines that I used the first time being busy and trying different machines (i.e. – The chest press machine I used on Day 1 was busy so I used a different bench press machine and did 2 sets of 10 reps on it and didn’t like it so I used a different bench press machine and did another 2 sets of 20 on that one). This happened with a few of the machines as it was really busy in the gym so I was doing extra sets because I was testing out different machines.

Everything was fine until I got about 70% of the way through my workout and I started feeling dizzy after completing my sets (this started happening as I was doing the bench press exercises and continued through the rest of my workout). I was trying to stay within in the 30-60 second rest periods per set and 1-2 minutes rest between different exercises as per the routine.

I pushed myself to finish the end of my workout and by the time I finished it I felt really sick. Keep in mind that I was drinking my Mio Fit drink all throughout the workout (B Vitamins & Electrolytes) and was finished with all 32 ounces by the end of my lifting. By the time I was done I felt dizzy, nauseated, and felt like I was going to pass out. I went to the elliptical to do my 20 minutes of cardio post lifting and felt like I was in a “zombie/dream state” in my head. I couldn’t shake the feeling of light headedness, dizziness, and feeling like I was going to drop. Even climbing the stairs to go up to the cardio room felt really weird. I got on the elliptical machine and did 5 minutes and then stopped because I felt like I was going to pass out. I decided to just go home.

I did a quick stretching routine and then left the gym. On the drive home I couldn’t concentrate. I felt like I was going to pass out and felt dizzy. I also felt sick to my stomach and thought I was going to puke.

When I got home I drank my Muscle milk shake and felt a little better afterwards. I ate a bowlful of Kashi Go lean and almond milk and then sat on the couch and just rested. My heart was still beating strong and somewhat fast in my chest. After about 30 mins of rest I felt a lot better but not 100%. I still felt out of it and I had a mild headache. I ate grilled chicken, veggies, and cottage cheese for dinner. I went to bed still feeling kinda out if it with a mild headache.

I woke up this morning with the same headache and still feel kinda out of it. I am debating on going to the gym and doing cardio (since this is my cardio day) or just resting all day.

I am wondering if any of you fitness pros can tell what your opinion is on what you think happened / is happening to me. I read somewhere that Gatorade powder mixed with water is good at replenishing carbs while working out.

Did I not have enough “fuel” in my system?
    Did I not eat enough?
    Did I over do it?
    Whats up with the lingering headache?
    Why am I still feeling out of it the next day after sleeping 8 hours?

Also I have experienced only very mild muscle soreness so far today.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks..!

P.S. - If you are asking yourselves why I am not working with a personal trainer it is because I recently got laid off from my job and money is tight. I figured I could find the information online (like on this site) and implement the programs myself. Also I watch videos of all the exercises before performing them as to make sure I am using proper form. I also am trying to lift not to heavy as to over do it but not to light as to not get any results. Thanks again for your advice..!!

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Go to the nutrition section and read the stickies. All that you had during the day was less than 1000 calories. You need to figure out your daily caloric needs and slightly start to cut calories.

WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I'm not sure of your previous medical history but the dizziness is normal especially if you are going very intense with the weights. Maybe you pushed a for the last rep really hard in a specific set?
    Now while I did say dizziness was normal ON occasion, If it persist seek medical attention.

Another cause could be that your pre and post workout nutrition may not be up to par.. The foods you named were very good especially the chicken breast. However before you begin any cardio session as well as weights you need CARBS. Carbs are the fuel your body primarily runs on!!
    Even you yourself admitted to feeling a bit better once you had gotten some food into you.

Your calories or Macros could be incorrect. Remember to eat around 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and the rest should be carbs.

You could be overtraining by doing to much intense cardio before lifting.. Cardio burns and enormous amount of calories and you will lose some of your energy that should be dedicated to resistance.

My question to you is, what is your ideal physique? I know you mentioned the V taper, but are you lacking muscle and wishing to build??? What is your bodyfat percentage?

Originally Posted by WillD1123 View Post
    Well I'm not sure of your previous medical history but the dizziness is normal especially if you are going very intense with the weights. Maybe you pushed a for the last rep really hard in a specific set?
    Now while I did say dizziness was normal ON occasion, If it persist seek medical attention.

Another cause could be that your pre and post workout nutrition may not be up to par.. The foods you named were very good especially the chicken breast. However before you begin any cardio session as well as weights you need CARBS. Carbs are the fuel your body primarily runs on!!
    Even you yourself admitted to feeling a bit better once you had gotten some food into you.

Your calories or Macros could be incorrect. Remember to eat around 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and the rest should be carbs.

You could be overtraining by doing to much intense cardio before lifting.. Cardio burns and enormous amount of calories and you will lose some of your energy that should be dedicated to resistance.

My question to you is, what is your ideal physique? I know you mentioned the V taper, but are you lacking muscle and wishing to build??? What is your bodyfat percentage?
    Hi will,

Thanks for the input. I was pushing hard on the weights to get to the last rep (lifting to failure) on chest press, biceps, triceps, and shoulder press. It was only those last 4 exercises where I started to get the dizziness after each set.

From what I have been reading online, I think I didn't have enough Carbs (fuel) in my system to sustain me through the entire workout and that's possibly why I felt feint, lightheaded, and like I was going to puke or pass out (or both).

I am trying to eat more protein than carbs (maybe a mistake?). My ideal physique I am trying to achieve is a lean cut look. I know that my body is weird when it comes to grains, pastas, rice, etc. Even if it is wheat based (i.e. brown rice and pasta) I seem to gain weight (or have a harder time losing weight). I'm not quite sure why.

I'm also trying to figure out why today I still feel kinda out of it. I got 8 hours of sleep and have eaten healthy throughout the entire day. I even took the day off of the gym. Is it normal to not feel quite right the entire next day..?

Also, I don't have the same level of soreness I had on my first weight training session and I did more lifting (more reps). The level of soreness in my muscles currently is very mild.

I'm going to check out the nutrition section on this website but I am just hoping I feel back to normal by tomorrow.

I'm really dedicated to reaching my goals, I just want to make sure that I am doing the right things and not harming myself.

Thanks again for your reply.

helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree you probably didn't have enough carbs an hour or an hour and a half before your workout. Eat some brown rice or oats or wheat bread.

Also, I don't think you need to be replenishing electrolytes if you do a little bit of cardio and weight training. Ditch it and drink regular water.

While you are doing cardio sip water.

While you are doing weight training sip a little bit water every 5-10 minutes but don't drink too much. You don't want your stomach sloshing with water.

I also agree you may have been eating too little in general that day or the day before and have felt weak / had a headache because of that. Make sure you don't eat too little. 500 calories below maintenance is fine for 1lbs/week of weight loss.

If I don't eat enough I get headaches too.

helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah it's good you took the day off. Don't go in until you stop feeling dizzy / nauseous.

Don't worry about feeling sore or not (DOMS). It does not say anything about the quality of the workout.

Also, don't demonize carbs. Your body may not like carbs or like it, but you won't gain or lose more weight by eating carbs than you will eating protein or fats.

I always try to eat mostly protein and fats because they do other beneficial things for the body that carbs don't do. Carbs "just" provide energy. But that's something you should not neglect either. Obviously you need a good fuel source and that's carbs.

BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBohata has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Although one needs to keep hydrated through a workout, 32oz seems to be going a few miles overboard. Also, do eat more earlier in the day (as others have pointed out). Don't overdo the eating right before the workout as it takes energy to digest food-energy that could have been used for lifting.

Originally Posted by helpfit101 View Post
    Yeah it's good you took the day off. Don't go in until you stop feeling dizzy / nauseous.

Don't worry about feeling sore or not (DOMS). It does not say anything about the quality of the workout.

Also, don't demonize carbs. Your body may not like carbs or like it, but you won't gain or lose more weight by eating carbs than you will eating protein or fats.

I always try to eat mostly protein and fats because they do other beneficial things for the body that carbs don't do. Carbs "just" provide energy. But that's something you should not neglect either. Obviously you need a good fuel source and that's carbs.
    Thanks for the advice Helpfit...!!

Yeah, I might actually take tomorrow off as well if I still feel a "out if it" and nauseous. I was reading somewhere online about over-training and how it can make you feel like crap. Maybe that's what I did. They said the best thing to do is to rest until you feel better. I am also drinking a TON of water to flush my system.

I was also reading that the way I feel happens with over training and acids getting built up in my system that than imbalance my PH levels. Honestly, I am so new to weight lifting, I'm still learning....but I did read somewhere on a fitness forum about that.

I'm thinking maybe I will introduce brown rice and oatmeal into my meals especially before going in for a weight training session. I am just trying to stick with proteins, veggies, and dairy as much as possible as I was under the impression that in order to get the cut, lean "toned" look, it is highly dependent on your diet. I figured less grains and more protein, veggies, and diary would get me there. Am I wrong..?

Also, I read on these forums somewhere that drinking Gatorade while lifting is good as it replenishes carbs, electrolytes and sugars during an intense weight lifting workout. You have any thoughts on that..??

Thanks again for your advice. It helps..!!

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You aren't experiencing symptoms of over-training, but that of caloric deficiency and glycogen depletion.(maybe) You really need to figure out your daily caloric needs.

Originally Posted by DrunkonMilk View Post
    You aren't experiencing symptoms of over-training, but that of caloric deficiency and glycogen depletion.(maybe) You really need to figure out your daily caloric needs.
    Thanks for your reply. Being new to the whole weight lifting routine, how would you suggest that I start figuring out my caloric needs..?? Is there a place in the forums or on the site I can look..? I have already checked out the nutritional section of the website and found some good articles there.

Thanks again for your help. It's appreciated.

WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WillD1123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Being new to weight training can be very stressful on your body. I'm 23 and I still feel very drained at times.
    Another thing if you are wishing to put on muscle you must eat in a caloric surplus of about 300 (on average some higher). You will gain a bit of fat but you will put on muscle and wont remain skinny fat. However at your weight, it is possible to eat at your TDEE and still lose fat and gain muscle (if you are a newb). IT is VITAL that you calculate your TDEE and count your CALORIES! You have to fuel yourself for workouts. You cant exactly drive a car on empty and expect to get anywhere. If you are new to weight training a day off isnt out of the ordinary. However, don't over eat just make sure you are eating enough to maintain energy.
    I would also like to say, don't let heavy weights discourage you. Heavy weights build strength faster (assuming control and good technique) however it is wise to lift lighter (for about a week) and let muscles recover every month or so.

tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DrunkonMilk View Post
    Go to the nutrition section and read the stickies. All that you had during the day was less than 1000 calories. You need to figure out your daily caloric needs and slightly start to cut calories.
    This ^^^^^

I'm sensing a lot of Bro Science going on.

See Here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183
    Current Journal All Pro - http://bbcom.me/1gSrSvx

food Journal - http://bit.ly/1b6GVVc

9 out of 10 questions answered here - http://bit.ly/qw0jWT

Good resource for beginners - http://bbcom.me/16QKCtp

All Pro Beginners program; "All Pros" Answers to questions doc: http://bbcom.me/1h0GLMt

How much Protein DO YOU REALLY NEED: http://bbcom.me/1cvgMze