BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Sourdough vs Wheat bread

I read that sourdough bread is also low GI like wheat...is there any reason to choose wheat bread over sourdough? I enjoy the taste of both but would like to eat some sourdough as I've been eating mostly wheat on my diets.

SoulOfKoRea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not sure, never really bought sourdough bread...

check the ingredients: look for butters/margarines, partially hydrogenated oils, enriched blah blah blah.... get the drift?
    I love SQUATS like a fat kid love cake.

LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiftNeat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BUMP id like to know about sourdough as well

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Actually, sourdough breads (proper sourdough), especially rye sourdough, has a lot better GI than wheatbread - usually down in the 40's.

Sourdoughs, dense grainy breads (as long as they are made with wholegrain flour) and pumpernickel bread are the best breads to eat in terms of GI.

They are usually the best breads from a nutritional point as well. For example, the rye sourdough I get, for 100g is:
    Cal: 250,
    Protein: 12g
    Carb: 45g
    Fibre: 5g
    Fat: 2g

Which means that a thick slice (40g) is:
    Cal: 100
    Protein: 5.8g
    Carbs: 18g
    Fat: 0.8g

Which is not too bad...

However, the grain sourdough is good too:
    100g
    Cal: 260
    Protein: 14g
    Carb: 40g
    Fat: 4g

So for a 40g slice:
    Cal: 104
    Protein: 5.6g
    Carb: 16g
    Fat: 1.6g

I don't eat wheat bread. I go for the sourdoughs, dense grain breads and pumpernickels every time.

BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlakeOleus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks bro

AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexPSU will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Okay... let me clear something up here. It's not the Calories, Fats, Carbs that matter... you should be looking at the fiber content and the ingredients. With any kind of bread the first ingedient should read 100% whole wheat, or 100% whole grain... if you see the word ENRICHED in the ingredients, RUN AWAY! Put that **** down and get something else.
    I was thirsty for everything, blood wasn't my style.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by AlexPSU
    Okay... let me clear something up here. It's not the Calories, Fats, Carbs that matter... you should be looking at the fiber content and the ingredients. With any kind of bread the first ingedient should read 100% whole wheat, or 100% whole grain... if you see the word ENRICHED in the ingredients, RUN AWAY! Put that **** down and get something else.
    I am perfectly aware of that That is why I always check the ingredients... (which is also why I commented above on the fact that it needs to be made with wholegrain flour). The breads I get I make sure they are wholegrain flours as the base. The grain bread is even better because it has grains in it as well.

Lots of people think that enriched means that it is 'better than average' flour, but it just means that it is normal sifted flour that they have added 4 of the B vitamins back in!!

As for the fibre contents of the above breads -
    For the rye sourdough, per 100g = 5.1g
    For the grain sourdough, per 100g = 22g (yes, I typed it correctly, 22g).