EdenSeeker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Going from dumbbells to smith machine

My normal chest workout involves mainly dumbbell presses inclines, normal, and declines. I've been doing 45's for 5 sets each and between 6-10 reps each. But since my gym removed its free weight barbell I can only use the smith machine. I can barely do anything on it and everytime I do I can not feel it working my chest. Is there some way to maximize my workout on it, or a different position I could try? If its more effective to just use dumbbells and maybe a smaller bar for normal presses, would that work? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go to a real gym. Use heavier dumbbells if you don't go to a real gym.
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthStrongSC

Main Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155303583

After seeing a hard workout you may want to complain and want others to pity you for the work you have to do. Your mom will pity you. Your girl will pity you. I may pity you, but your competition will not pity you. They will step on you, walk over you and spit on you. � Boris Sheiko

THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10) THYWARZONE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EdenSeeker View Post
    My normal chest workout involves mainly dumbbell presses inclines, normal, and declines. I've been doing 45's for 5 sets each and between 6-10 reps each. But since my gym removed its free weight barbell I can only use the smith machine. I can barely do anything on it and everytime I do I can not feel it working my chest. Is there some way to maximize my workout on it, or a different position I could try? If its more effective to just use dumbbells and maybe a smaller bar for normal presses, would that work? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If possible, it would be best to switch gyms.

If this is not possible, I would not recommend using the Smith machine to replace your barbell pressing movements. Instead, perform your pressing movements with dumbbells. You can still develop a great chest, both in terms of mass and strength, with dumbbells (arguably more so than a barbell)! If your gym still has standard barbells available that are a sufficient weight for your pressing, use them as well.
    - J

napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The smith machine has a really bad reputation around here but I dont think it is bad as they make it to be. I actually find quite effective in insolating the chest

You might not be using proper form on it though. Try bringing the bar down to your upper chest, dont lockout or let it rest on your chest and squeeze your arms together on the way up then lower it slowly on the way down

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by NorthStrong View Post
    Go to a real gym. Use heavier dumbbells if you don't go to a real gym.
    This.

Also, a smith machine can be a useful tool, but you need to understand how the predetermined bar path can be an advantage instead of a limitation. It is great for very specific workouts, that you probably aren't ready for. Stick to heavy dbs until you get a new gym.
    Experience, not just theory

Ok thanks, I can go on base but thats a half-hour drive and this other gym is right around the corner. But I can probably head on base for my chest workouts. I can stick with dumbbells too, but can someone describe the proper method for using the smith machine? It seems that each time I use it my arms either are bent in a weird way so they cant push up or that it focuses all on my arms and not my chest.

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    honestly for the smith machine and benching you have to play around with the grip width and bench placement mostly. when i first started using the smith it was difficult to feel my chest, but now i know where to set the bench and i can move my hands around from close to wide to really feel my chest working. try using just a 25lb plate and messing with the placement of the bench and your hands until you find something that works for you. but the smith really is a great tool.

Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dbells and cables are all u need to batter your chest.
    DILLON! You son of a BITCH!

Are your wrists supposed to be straight or slightly bent? Mine always bend back so the bar lies on the palm instead of resting on my thumb.

Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Will2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wrists should be straight and bar should rest on the bottom half of the palm of your hand
    DILLON! You son of a BITCH!