Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10)

This is Bicep Workout Routine fine? (For a starter)

►I just started going to the gym. Today will be my 7th day there.

I am a really skinny guy. My Biceps are really small and I am only able to do 13kg for a full 10 reps on the 'Bicep Curl Machine.' ( I am able to do 18-23kg but it will be around the range of 3-5 Reps only)

☻Because of that, I am working the Biceps using 13kg of weight; 6.5kg each arm for 3-4sets ( I even struggle)
    ☺Then I will drop the weight down to 9kg and keep on whacking the biceps until the biceps are tired out then I will go home.

►►What do you guys think of this routine? Should I keep doing this "drop-set" routine or switch to heavier weights but lesser Reps?

rudeboi805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OliverPranks View Post

I am a really skinny guy. My Biceps are really small and I am only able to do 13kg for a full 10 reps on the 'Bicep Curl Machine.' ( I am able to do 18-23kg but it will be around the range of 3-5 Reps only)

☻Because of that, I am working the Biceps using 13kg of weight; 6.5kg each arm for 3-4sets ( I even struggle)
    ☺Then I will drop the weight down to 9kg and keep on whacking the biceps until the biceps are tired out then I will go home.

►►What do you guys think of this routine? Should I keep doing this "drop-set" routine or switch to heavier weights but lesser Reps?

Good way to start. Hammer curls with dumb bells as well as seated incline curls work for me. When doing standing curls I try and make sure to "supinate" the forearm or turn over the forearm at peak contraction.

helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) helpfit101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just keep doing that.

Don't over think it you're new.

I assume you're working out other muscles too besides biceps?

Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joonyer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No disrespect intended to the other posters, but why are you recommending he starts with various dumbell curls? As a beginner he should be focusing on learning the key compound lifts and focusing on building a base of strength before worrying about isolating tiny muscle groups.

Do yourself a favour mate and look up the Starting Strength routine - do that for 6 months and eat a lot.

Matt
    Nutella.

OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10) OliverPranks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by helpfit101 View Post
    Just keep doing that.

Don't over think it you're new.

I assume you're working out other muscles too besides biceps?
    Originally Posted by Joonyer View Post
    No disrespect intended to the other posters, but why are you recommending he starts with various dumbell curls? As a beginner he should be focusing on learning the key compound lifts and focusing on building a base of strength before worrying about isolating tiny muscle groups.

Do yourself a favour mate and look up the Starting Strength routine - do that for 6 months and eat a lot.

Matt
    >>I assume you're working out other muscles too besides biceps?

Yes I do Shoulder Press/Chest Press together with the Biceps on the same day. (I do hammer curls of 4kg of light weight, 6kg of heavy weight too)

>>>Do yourself a favour mate and look up the Starting Strength routine - do that for 6 months and eat a lot.

I have heard of people talking a lot about SS/ Babylovers.

Do you recommend me to start SS? Some people recommended that I build up my arm strength for a month before doing something serious though.

gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't worry about how much you're curling. I like hammer curls too but if you're only doing 4kg it just isn't worth it. If you can get your bench and deadlift up, your curls will surely improve

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do you recommend me to start SS? Some people recommended that I build up my arm strength for a month before doing something serious though.
    I definitely would, you'll be amazed the difference it can make, going from your own routines, to a consistent, proven 1, so long as your diet's in check, make sure it is before doing something serious. You don't need to build strength before starting Starting Strength though, it's partially aimed at people in their late teens, who are borderline underweight, very little muscle mass or strength, and who've never lifted before in their lives, there's no prerequisite to SS, provided you're in average general health, and can lift the bar.

smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

At your training level, screw direct bicep work. Get on a beginner routine (SS or Stronglifts), focus on your compound lifts, and eat like a viking.

Originally Posted by gaz1980 View Post
    Don't worry about how much you're curling. I like hammer curls too but if you're only doing 4kg it just isn't worth it. If you can get your bench and deadlift up, your curls will surely improve
    Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    I definitely would, you'll be amazed the difference it can make, going from your own routines, to a consistent, proven 1, so long as your diet's in check, make sure it is before doing something serious. You don't need to build strength before starting Starting Strength though, it's partially aimed at people in their late teens, who are borderline underweight, very little muscle mass or strength, and who've never lifted before in their lives, there's no prerequisite to SS, provided you're in average general health, and can lift the bar.
    Originally Posted by smittygo3 View Post
    At your training level, screw direct bicep work. Get on a beginner routine (SS or Stronglifts), focus on your compound lifts, and eat like a viking.
    >>I like hammer curls too but if you're only doing 4kg it just isn't worth it. If you can get your bench and deadlift up, your curls will surely improve.

I did 6x20/25 of 4kg hammer curls today and realised that it is too light for me. Can I simply increase the weight to 6kg/8kg instead of doing deadlifts? I heard that the bar itself is 20kg. ( I might struggle to lift the bar)

>>>...so long as your diet's in check, make sure it is before doing something serious. You don't need to build strength before starting Starting Strength though, it's partially aimed at people in their late teens, who are borderline underweight, very little muscle mass or strength, and who've never lifted before in their lives, there's no prerequisite to SS, provided you're in average general health, and can lift the bar.

I need 2300 Calories for my maintenance and I added an extra 300 calories.(My friend told me not to be stingy and just eat 4000+ calories, is this okay?)
    ☻For my diet, I am eating 4 slices of whole-meal(grain) bread with peanut butter and tuna in it and 2 medium bananas for Breakfast. After my breakfast, I will go to the gym and workout.
    ☺Will then come back in time for my lunch. I usually have staple food and meat for lunch such as Fishball Noodles/ Chicken Wings with Rice. At around 3pm-4pm I will have another 2 slices the Tuna Peanut butter bread.
    ☻Then at night, I will eat a lot more than I usually do. (Because of what my friend said. I try to exceed 2600 Calories)

►For the bar, if you are talking about the Bench Press Bar which is 20kg on its own, I think I will try it tomorrow. But if I can barely lift it, should I still do the SS workout routine?

>>>> At your training level, screw direct bicep work. Get on a beginner routine (SS or Stronglifts), focus on your compound lifts, and eat like a viking.

☻For an ectomorph like me, should I do SS or the 'Stronglifts'? Also, the 20kg Bar, I will have to see if I can lift it without much difficulty. Will you still recommend me to do SS if I can barely life the bar?

► For the Diet, my maintenance is 2300 calories. It is fine to just add 300 calories to it? Or just eat 4000+ calories like what my friend said?

gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaz1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, I don't know how to deal with that crazy formatting going in your reply. So I've trashed all that and italicised your comments ..

- I did 6x20/25 of 4kg hammer curls today and realised that it is too light for me. Can I simply increase the weight to 6kg/8kg instead of doing deadlifts? I heard that the bar itself is 20kg. ( I might struggle to lift the bar)

Come on, man. You can lift a 20kg bar in a deadlift position, trust me. Watch videos, and practice. If you can do sets of *25* reps for hammer curls, the weight is ridiculously low. Try doing 8 reps of the 10kg DB.

- I need 2300 Calories for my maintenance and I added an extra 300 calories.(My friend told me not to be stingy and just eat 4000+ calories, is this okay?)

2300 cals sounds slightly high for maintenance at your weight, though I could be wrong. Can you work this out properly? I'd eat 500 above and gradually increase.

- For my diet, I am eating 4 slices of whole-meal(grain) bread with peanut butter and tuna in it and 2 medium bananas for Breakfast. After my breakfast, I will go to the gym and workout.
    Will then come back in time for my lunch. I usually have staple food and meat for lunch such as Fishball Noodles/ Chicken Wings with Rice. At around 3pm-4pm I will have another 2 slices the Tuna Peanut butter bread.
    Then at night, I will eat a lot more than I usually do. (Because of what my friend said. I try to exceed 2600 Calories)

You need to know how much protein, carbs and fat you're getting.

- For the bar, if you are talking about the Bench Press Bar which is 20kg on its own, I think I will try it tomorrow. But if I can barely lift it, should I still do the SS workout routine?

You will be able to bench 20kg bar no problem.

- For an ectomorph like me, should I do SS or the 'Stronglifts'? Also, the 20kg Bar, I will have to see if I can lift it without much difficulty. Will you still recommend me to do SS if I can barely life the bar?

I've never done SS. Stronglifts worked well for me. If you have a smartphone, download the app, it's good and will help with motivation - as you can plan ahead and see what you'll be lifting, if all goes to plan. You can lift 20kg bar.

- For the Diet, my maintenance is 2300 calories. It is fine to just add 300 calories to it? Or just eat 4000+ calories like what my friend said?

Eating 300 calories above maintenance will only gain you about half a pound a week. 500 calorie surplus should gain 1lb a week. And so on. Depends how quickly you want to gain weight, and how much fat you want to pick up. My guess is you won't be able to stomach 4,000 calories without gorging on junk.

Wow, I don't know how to deal with that crazy formatting going in your reply. So I've trashed all that and italicised your comments ..

- I did 6x20/25 of 4kg hammer curls today and realised that it is too light for me. Can I simply increase the weight to 6kg/8kg instead of doing deadlifts? I heard that the bar itself is 20kg. ( I might struggle to lift the bar)

Come on, man. You can lift a 20kg bar in a deadlift position, trust me. Watch videos, and practice. If you can do sets of *25* reps for hammer curls, the weight is ridiculously low. Try doing 8 reps of the 10kg DB.

- I need 2300 Calories for my maintenance and I added an extra 300 calories.(My friend told me not to be stingy and just eat 4000+ calories, is this okay?)

2300 cals sounds slightly high for maintenance at your weight, though I could be wrong. Can you work this out properly? I'd eat 500 above and gradually increase.

- For my diet, I am eating 4 slices of whole-meal(grain) bread with peanut butter and tuna in it and 2 medium bananas for Breakfast. After my breakfast, I will go to the gym and workout.
    Will then come back in time for my lunch. I usually have staple food and meat for lunch such as Fishball Noodles/ Chicken Wings with Rice. At around 3pm-4pm I will have another 2 slices the Tuna Peanut butter bread.
    Then at night, I will eat a lot more than I usually do. (Because of what my friend said. I try to exceed 2600 Calories)

You need to know how much protein, carbs and fat you're getting.

- For the bar, if you are talking about the Bench Press Bar which is 20kg on its own, I think I will try it tomorrow. But if I can barely lift it, should I still do the SS workout routine?

You will be able to bench 20kg bar no problem.

- For an ectomorph like me, should I do SS or the 'Stronglifts'? Also, the 20kg Bar, I will have to see if I can lift it without much difficulty. Will you still recommend me to do SS if I can barely life the bar?

I've never done SS. Stronglifts worked well for me. If you have a smartphone, download the app, it's good and will help with motivation - as you can plan ahead and see what you'll be lifting, if all goes to plan. You can lift 20kg bar.

- For the Diet, my maintenance is 2300 calories. It is fine to just add 300 calories to it? Or just eat 4000+ calories like what my friend said?

Eating 300 calories above maintenance will only gain you about half a pound a week. 500 calorie surplus should gain 1lb a week. And so on. Depends how quickly you want to gain weight, and how much fat you want to pick up. My guess is you won't be able to stomach 4,000 calories without gorging on junk.
    ►2300 cals sounds slightly high for maintenance at your weight, though I could be wrong. Can you work this out properly? I'd eat 500 above and gradually increase.

I used the calories calculator and it showed 2307 calories. So should I add in 300 or 500 calories or even more?

►You need to know how much protein, carbs and fat you're getting.

I reside in Singapore, an Asian country. Some food such as the Chicken Rice, Nasi Lemak etc has some food ingredients that didn't EXACTLY appear on the Diet Planner's menu. Is there a way to "estimate" the protein, carb and fats of each ingredient?

►You will be able to bench 20kg bar no problem.

Okay I will try it tomorrow!

(P.S thanks for the detailed reply!)

CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Agree with everything Gaz said, good answers to all your questions.

Yeah, you should definitely be capable of a 20 kilo deadlift, a lot of people start at 40-60 or above, your deadlift should be your heaviest lift, the bar is nothing. Run SS/SL for a few months, and you'll likely soon find yourself deadlifting 100-150 kilos, maybe even higher maybe if you stay on the program for a nice time.

I suggest you read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183 here, it'll tell you almost everything you need to know, in terms of diet, for optimal results.

If you can't lift the bar, go see a doctor. Seriously though, even a young, completely untrained individual should be able to bench 20 kilos, if you can't, that's quite a big impediment, come back here if you find 20 kilos to be an issue, but I'm betting you'll be fine.

Unlike Gaz, I've never done SL, but I did Starting Strength, and it worked well for me. They're both great programs, I'd say it's entirely your choice, so long as your diet's good, either of them will give you great results. If you decide to go with SS, make sure you follow the newest version, from SS BBT 3E, this http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength here, squat, press, bench, dead, clean, pull, chin. If you decide to go for SL, I think the main site offers the most up-to-date routine, easy to find.

►2300 cals sounds slightly high for maintenance at your weight, though I could be wrong. Can you work this out properly? I'd eat 500 above and gradually increase.

I used the calories calculator and it showed 2307 calories. So should I add in 300 or 500 calories or even more?

►You need to know how much protein, carbs and fat you're getting.

I reside in Singapore, an Asian country. Some food such as the Chicken Rice, Nasi Lemak etc has some food ingredients that didn't EXACTLY appear on the Diet Planner's menu. Is there a way to "estimate" the protein, carb and fats of each ingredient?

►You will be able to bench 20kg bar no problem.

Okay I will try it tomorrow!

(P.S thanks for the detailed reply!)
    You should probably add about 10-20% of your TEE on top, so if your maintenance is 2300, I'd say add on about 500, maybe even slightly more, be on the safe side, you're very light weight at the moment, and you'll need all the extra calories you can get to add on weight, build muscle, and support an intense strength program like SS or SL. You should be aiming for ideally about 1 pound of weight gain per week, if you find you're far below or above then, then you can adjust your calories further as time goes on, but for now, it's all about picking a good starting point, and then watching the scales, and 2800-3000 seems like a good start. As I said before, considering your light weight, and the programs you're going on, you'd be much better off even starting slightly too high, and dropping it down later on.

Diet Planner? It should be a requirement to have detailed nutritional information on most products sold, which you can then look to, and if necessary weigh out, to find exactly what you're getting.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 09-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Yeah, just try getting close to 3000 kcal.

I know where Singapore is Been there in fact!

Packaged food (your tuna, peanut butter etc) should all contain protein/carb/fat breakdown? If you eat out, you're gonna have to estimate, based on say 100g of noodles, 100g of rice, chicken etc. Doesn't have to be all that accurate, main thing is just getting the calories and protein into your body at this stage, and trying not to eat too much crap.

You should probably add about 10-20% of your TEE on top, so if your maintenance is 2300, I'd say add on about 500, maybe even slightly more, be on the safe side, you're very light weight at the moment, and you'll need all the extra calories you can get to add on weight, build muscle, and support an intense strength program like SS or SL. You should be aiming for ideally about 1 pound of weight gain per week, if you find you're far below or above then, then you can adjust your calories further as time goes on, but for now, it's all about picking a good starting point, and then watching the scales, and 2800-3000 seems like a good start. As I said before, considering your light weight, and the programs you're going on, you'd be much better off even starting slightly too high, and dropping it down later on.

Diet Planner? It should be a requirement to have detailed nutritional information on most products sold, which you can then look to, and if necessary weigh out, to find exactly what you're getting.
    STRONG BUMP! Off to sleep.

Will check back tomorrow! ^_^

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do a few sets of barbell curls and you're good to go.

The advice to not do any direct arm work is awful.
    Who was this love of yours?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

►►What do you guys think of this routine?
    I don't see one; post it.

All I see here is a few sets for arms, and it's pretty meaningless unless in the context of your entire routine.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGainsBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you a beginner?

If yes, then I suggest focusing more on compound exercises such as deadlifts, bench press, squats, over head press etc. rather than isolating muscle groups.

Also read the stickies.

Good luck!

Yeah, just try getting close to 3000 kcal.

I know where Singapore is Been there in fact!

Packaged food (your tuna, peanut butter etc) should all contain protein/carb/fat breakdown? If you eat out, you're gonna have to estimate, based on say 100g of noodles, 100g of rice, chicken etc. Doesn't have to be all that accurate, main thing is just getting the calories and protein into your body at this stage, and trying not to eat too much crap.
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Do a few sets of barbell curls and you're good to go.

The advice to not do any direct arm work is awful.
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I don't see one; post it.

All I see here is a few sets for arms, and it's pretty meaningless unless in the context of your entire routine.
    Originally Posted by TheGainsBrah View Post
    Are you a beginner?

If yes, then I suggest focusing more on compound exercises such as deadlifts, bench press, squats, over head press etc. rather than isolating muscle groups.

Also read the stickies.

Good luck!
    ►Packaged food (your tuna, peanut butter etc) should all contain protein/carb/fat breakdown? If you eat out, you're gonna have to estimate, based on say 100g of noodles, 100g of rice, chicken etc. Doesn't have to be all that accurate, main thing is just getting the calories and protein into your body at this stage, and trying not to eat too much crap.

May I know what is the difference between protein breakdown/ Protein? I will go back to the diet planner and estimate it. Also for Cheat Meals, can I eat some fast food once in a while?

►Do a few sets of barbell curls and you're good to go. The advice to not do any direct arm work is awful.

Many others recommended me to try out SS. I guess I will do it today and take a step at a time from there on.

►I don't see one; post it. All I see here is a few sets for arms, and it's pretty meaningless unless in the context of your entire routine.

Ouch..

►Are you a beginner? If yes, then I suggest focusing more on compound exercises such as deadlifts, bench press, squats, over head press etc. rather than isolating muscle groups.Also read the stickies.
    Good luck!

Yes I will be trying out SS today. Thanks for the tips!

►Unlike Gaz, I've never done SL, but I did Starting Strength, and it worked well for me. They're both great programs, I'd say it's entirely your choice, so long as your diet's good, either of them will give you great results. If you decide to go with SS, make sure you follow the newest version, from SS BBT 3Et...(Links that I couldn't quote)

Thanks for the helpful links. I went on to read the article on SS first. It seems like the website is trying to promote a Book/DVD ? Is the Book/DVD COMPULSORY? Or is following the article from week 1 till the end just as okay?

Update for 12 Sept 2013 (8th day at the gym)

I started SS for the first time. Did Deadlifts, Squats and "Bench Press".(I substitute Bench Press out, will explain why below)

I went to do the Deadlifts with no weights. 1x5 (Seemed easy enough. Will have to add more weights the next time)

I tried to do 1 Bench Press but I felt like I didn't have the strength to do one Rep. (Might be because I did Shoulder Press the day before)
    I will try to do some Bench Press again tomorrow. (Are there any workouts that I can substitute in if I can not do a single Bench Press?)
    Went to do some Bicep/Hammer Curls instead.

Was about to do 3x10 squats of 25kg.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! Do add me as a friend too. I need all the help that I can get

►Packaged food (your tuna, peanut butter etc) should all contain protein/carb/fat breakdown? If you eat out, you're gonna have to estimate, based on say 100g of noodles, 100g of rice, chicken etc. Doesn't have to be all that accurate, main thing is just getting the calories and protein into your body at this stage, and trying not to eat too much crap.

May I know what is the difference between protein breakdown/ Protein? I will go back to the diet planner and estimate it. Also for Cheat Meals, can I eat some fast food once in a while?

►Do a few sets of barbell curls and you're good to go. The advice to not do any direct arm work is awful.

Many others recommended me to try out SS. I guess I will do it today and take a step at a time from there on.

►I don't see one; post it. All I see here is a few sets for arms, and it's pretty meaningless unless in the context of your entire routine.

Ouch..

►Are you a beginner? If yes, then I suggest focusing more on compound exercises such as deadlifts, bench press, squats, over head press etc. rather than isolating muscle groups.Also read the stickies.
    Good luck!

Yes I will be trying out SS today. Thanks for the tips!
    He's just talking about how much protein is in the food, that's what he meant by protein/carb/fat breakdown, basically no difference, ignore the breakdown word altogether if you want. You can eat fast food once in a while, it's often high in calories and/or protein, and as long as you don't go crazy, enjoy em now and again. Why are you using cheat meals though? Usually that's something better suited for people dieting, cutting in a deficit, who need relief now and again. If you're bulking, you should just eat whatever helps you hit your calories, and fits your macros, you can keep it relatively clean, but I'm a bit confused on why you'd need cheat meals when you should preferably be eating almost whatever you want, every day, so long as it gets you to where you need to be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if you can, explain your reason for cheat meals.

Direct arm work isn't all bad, but at the moment it's not entirely necessary, your arms will benefit heavily from compound exercises, things like press, bench, pull, chin, to name the ones included in SS.

►Unlike Gaz, I've never done SL, but I did Starting Strength, and it worked well for me. They're both great programs, I'd say it's entirely your choice, so long as your diet's good, either of them will give you great results. If you decide to go with SS, make sure you follow the newest version, from SS BBT 3Et...(Links that I couldn't quote)

Thanks for the helpful links. I went on to read the article on SS first. It seems like the website is trying to promote a Book/DVD ? Is the Book/DVD COMPULSORY? Or is following the article from week 1 till the end just as okay?
    Yeah, Starting Strength, there's a book, 3 books actually, and also a DVD, so it seems. I've never seen the DVD, but I have read the book, and it's pretty good. It's not compulsory, but it does teach you near-perfect form on all the exercises, to mitigate almost any risk of injury, and encourage proper execution, to allow you to move the most weight, while giving you a very in-depth explanation into the lifts, the body, a good read not only for people doing SS, but anyone getting into weight training in general. It's 400 pages long, the 3rd edition. It's not compulsory, but it is useful, however you can definitely run the routine without it, and still see amazing results.

Update for 12 Sept 2013 (8th day at the gym)

I started SS for the first time. Did Deadlifts, Squats and "Bench Press".(I substitute Bench Press out, will explain why below)

I went to do the Deadlifts with no weights. 1x5 (Seemed easy enough. Will have to add more weights the next time)

I tried to do 1 Bench Press but I felt like I didn't have the strength to do one Rep. (Might be because I did Shoulder Press the day before)
    I will try to do some Bench Press again tomorrow. (Are there any workouts that I can substitute in if I can not do a single Bench Press?)
    Went to do some Bicep/Hammer Curls instead.

Was about to do 3x10 squats of 25kg.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! Do add me as a friend too. I need all the help that I can get
    Did you calculate your starting weights correctly? This http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program here will tell you everything you need to know that isn't explained in the previous article. It tells you how to find your starting weights, how much weight to add each session, what stalling is, what to do when you stall, you need to know these things before you run the program. Read that, and find out those 4 things, starting weights/first workout, how much weight to add each session, what stalling is, what to do when you stall. Also, this http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts here might be beneficial for you, in learning how to properly perform the exercises.

How did you get your feet under the bar for deadlifts with no weight on it?

Why did you do shoulder press yesterday? You're supposed to have a rest day between each workout, as the article shows, you do shoulder press Monday for example, bench press Wednesday, with Tuesday for rest, and shoulder press again Friday, with Thursday as rest. These rest days are essential on this program. You can't bench 20 kilos for 1 rep? There must be a reason why. What happened? You shouldn't have done curls instead, deviating from this program as it's written will lead you down the wrong path, you'll have serious problems very soon if you cut out a major part of this program, to do something else unrelated.

Why 3x10 squats, you should be doing 3x5. What do you mean was about to?
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 09-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Yeah, 'about to' but didn't doesn't really cut it If it's just the bar, you can bench it, don't care if you're 100lbs, never mind 124.

As for Stronglifts, just take a look at http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/ - read it all, and download the report. Don't rush off and say "Right, I'm going to do that today". Sit down for a morning or afternoon and read it all, write it down, make an Excel spreadsheet, whatever you need to do, so it sinks in. Then go to the gym, work out your starting weights and plan ahead.

It's this simple:
    Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5×5 Squat 5×5
    Bench Press 5×5 Overhead Press 5×5
    Barbell Rows 5×5 Deadlift 1×5

Week 1 you do A, B, A (Mon/Wed/Fri). Week 2 you do B, A, B (Mon/Wed/Fri). Weight goes up 2.5kg every time. Start very light.

As a beginner @ 126 lbs, you should eat as much as you can on a strength-based routine, you'll probably find it difficult to over-eat as you can't be that big an eater at that size.

And don't think that there's not enough in the workout or it will be too easy, etc. At the end of the day, it's 225 reps per week of compound exercises which use most of your main muscles. You'll be finding it difficult after a few weeks, guaranteed. Just remember to start very light.

He's just talking about how much protein is in the food, that's what he meant by protein/carb/fat breakdown, basically no difference, ignore the breakdown word altogether if you want. You can eat fast food once in a while, it's often high in calories and/or protein, and as long as you don't go crazy, enjoy em now and again. Why are you using cheat meals though? Usually that's something better suited for people dieting, cutting in a deficit, who need relief now and again. If you're bulking, you should just eat whatever helps you hit your calories, and fits your macros, you can keep it relatively clean, but I'm a bit confused on why you'd need cheat meals when you should preferably be eating almost whatever you want, every day, so long as it gets you to where you need to be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if you can, explain your reason for cheat meals.

Direct arm work isn't all bad, but at the moment it's not entirely necessary, your arms will benefit heavily from compound exercises, things like press, bench, pull, chin, to name the ones included in SS.

Yeah, Starting Strength, there's a book, 3 books actually, and also a DVD, so it seems. I've never seen the DVD, but I have read the book, and it's pretty good. It's not compulsory, but it does teach you near-perfect form on all the exercises, to mitigate almost any risk of injury, and encourage proper execution, to allow you to move the most weight, while giving you a very in-depth explanation into the lifts, the body, a good read not only for people doing SS, but anyone getting into weight training in general. It's 400 pages long, the 3rd edition. It's not compulsory, but it is useful, however you can definitely run the routine without it, and still see amazing results.

Did you calculate your starting weights correctly? This url here will tell you everything you need to know that isn't explained in the previous article. It tells you how to find your starting weights, how much weight to add each session, what stalling is, what to do when you stall, you need to know these things before you run the program. Read that, and find out those 4 things, starting weights/first workout, how much weight to add each session, what stalling is, what to do when you stall. Also, this url here might be beneficial for you, in learning how to properly perform the exercises.

Why did you do shoulder press yesterday? You're supposed to have a rest day between each workout, as the article shows, you do shoulder press Monday for example, bench press Wednesday, with Tuesday for rest, and shoulder press again Friday, with Thursday as rest. These rest days are essential on this program. You can't bench 20 kilos for 1 rep? There must be a reason why. What happened? You shouldn't have done curls instead, deviating from this program as it's written will lead you down the wrong path, you'll have serious problems very soon if you cut out a major part of this program, to do something else unrelated.

Why 3x10 squats, you should be doing 3x5. What do you mean was about to?
    Yeah, 'about to' but didn't doesn't really cut it If it's just the bar, you can bench it, don't care if you're 100lbs, never mind 124.

As for Stronglifts, just take a look at url - read it all, and download the report. Don't rush off and say "Right, I'm going to do that today". Sit down for a morning or afternoon and read it all, write it down, make an Excel spreadsheet, whatever you need to do, so it sinks in. Then go to the gym, work out your starting weights and plan ahead.

It's this simple:
    Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5×5 Squat 5×5
    Bench Press 5×5 Overhead Press 5×5
    Barbell Rows 5×5 Deadlift 1×5

Week 1 you do A, B, A (Mon/Wed/Fri). Week 2 you do B, A, B (Mon/Wed/Fri). Weight goes up 2.5kg every time. Start very light.

As a beginner @ 126 lbs, you should eat as much as you can on a strength-based routine, you'll probably find it difficult to over-eat as you can't be that big an eater at that size.
    Sorry it was a typo. Able to* not about to :l

Why 3x10 squats, you should be doing 3x5.
    I started deadlifts first by lifting it slightly off the ground, placed my feet under then executing it. (Will be putting weights on when I officially start it on 16 September 2013, Monday)

I think it was because I had the wrong technique and form while doing the bench press and/or I went to do shoulder presses on rest day.
    However, I went to try the bench press today and SUCCESSFULLY completed 1x6reps without weight. I added 5kg to each side and was only able to do 5 reps with the HELP of my friend. I dropped to 2.5kg on each side and did 10reps on my own( I was only testing how much weight I can lift without help was why I managed to do 10 reps instead of 5) I did the last set with the same weights and only managed to do 7 reps with HELP. (Should I put more weight? Like add another 1.25kg to make it 3.75kg?)

Also, should I invest on a belt when doing the deadlifts and the squats?

You were right Gaz! I managed to bench it today! (Will have to check on my form and technique though)

And okay eat like a viking (And it was a typo. Able* to not about to. My bad. )

>>>You can eat fast food once in a while, it's often high in calories and/or protein, and as long as you don't go crazy, enjoy em now and again. Why are you using cheat meals though? Usually that's something better suited for people dieting, cutting in a deficit, who need relief now and again. If you're bulking, you should just eat whatever helps you hit your calories, and fits your macros, you can keep it relatively clean, but I'm a bit confused on why you'd need cheat meals when you should preferably be eating almost whatever you want, every day, so long as it gets you to where you need to be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if you can, explain your reason for cheat meals.

Should be because of the theory of how precious fats will be used up by the body because it is afraid that I will starve by not eating fast food for a long time and only eating normal healthy food. (Or does this theory only apply to obese people who are trying to lose weight?)

>>>You can eat fast food once in a while, it's often high in calories and/or protein, and as long as you don't go crazy, enjoy em now and again. Why are you using cheat meals though? Usually that's something better suited for people dieting, cutting in a deficit, who need relief now and again. If you're bulking, you should just eat whatever helps you hit your calories, and fits your macros, you can keep it relatively clean, but I'm a bit confused on why you'd need cheat meals when you should preferably be eating almost whatever you want, every day, so long as it gets you to where you need to be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if you can, explain your reason for cheat meals.

Should be because of the theory of how precious fats will be used up by the body because it is afraid that I will starve by not eating fast food for a long time and only eating normal healthy food. (Or does this theory only apply to obese people who are trying to lose weight?)
    You never heard of IIFYM, If It Fits Your Macros? I ran SS, I ate whatever the **** I wanted, so long as I hit my calories, and it fit my macros, every day, and my lifts sky rocketed, and the size came fast. I'll admit, I kept it somewhat healthy, we still need vitamins, minerals and such, and to steer clear of certain things, I kept fast food to a minimum, chocolate and snacks were a privilege on the rare day to fill some leftover calories, still, there's no need to make bulking more difficult by eating only strictly healthy foods, as long as you hit your calories, fit your macros, get your daily vitamins and minerals from their respective sources, and don't consume too much ****, you should do fine. I don't understand what that last part in your post meant, are you able to rephrase it? No offence, but it sounds like that random bull**** people spread around, but it might just be because I'm interpreting it wrong, so if you could rephrase it, yeah.

As for the other bits, you "must" start with a weight that you can lift with relative ease for 5 reps, your form should be good, and the bar speed should be fast. You should be able to go 4 or so weeks before you hit your previous maxes. 30 kilos for 5 reps was too much for you alone, and you should be increasing bench by at least 2 kilos each workout for the first few weeks, 12 kilos in your first 4 weeks, so it looks like you should be starting at 18, but I'd say start at the bar. Your friend cannot help you, reps with assistance "do not" count. My honest suggestion would be to start at the bar, get your form down, you said it might be an issue. If you haven't read the FAQ for determining your starting weights, you should read it now, but I'd say starting at the bar will likely suit you best, otherwise you're likely to fail very early, and this will give you more of an opportunity to get your diet in check, get your form down, before it becomes too difficult.

Also, as for the belt, no. Not only is a belt not necessary at this stage, due to the very light weights you're going to be lifting, it would actually be detrimental. You need to learn how to engage your abs, keep your core tight during these lifts, before you get a belt. Bottom line, learn how to do it without a belt, and get a belt if you feel it's needed in the future, but that likely won't be for months and months, if at all on the time you run SS, depending on a lot of different factors, but you definitely don't need, or want 1, right now.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 09-14-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Also, is it possible for you to microload your lifts? Is 1.25 the lowest your gym's got? Later on in the program, only not all that late, you may find, especially your press, and maybe your bench, need to drop down to 2 kilo increases, and then 1 kilo increases, maybe even less, if it keeps you going. If the minimum you can add to the bar is 2.5, you might have a bit of trouble with those lifts, because a 2.5 increase is actually quite a lot to keep adding every workout, on those lifts, especially once they get high up. Hopefully you've got something a little less?