Kurama1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting or bulking....again!

I know this has been discussed a lot. I read a lot too but I am still not sure what to do. I have been working out regularly for a couple of years now, but just to stay somewhat fit. Lately I am taking this more seriously but am nowhere near what I want to look like. I tried to loose all the fat and be ripped before building more muscle but just can't seem to loos the last bit. I'm at point now where i need to change something... Question is, should I eat more and build up right away and then cut or really start counting calories now do more Cardio and start building when I'm where I want to be bodyfat wise?

I don't want to make massive Arnold Schwarzenegger gains here... I just want to be fit and well build. Gain about 10-20 Pound especially on my legs since they really are too skinny.

I am 6.00 feet and weigh 153 Pounds at the moment. Skinny fat type of person.

Attached a pictures too (post workout). Any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been exactly where you are. I'd do a slow controlled bulk, perhaps follow the LeanGains protocol. Get the muscle mass built that you want and then cut off whatever little BF you want once you've gained some of that lean mass. At least that's what I'm trying
    Michael

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    bulk- slowly- for several months, run a good routine
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Tomsinite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    agreed with michaelkb slow clean bulk

Okay so bulking is the way to go I guess. I will see where it goes the next couple of weeks/months and try to put on some
    weight and then cut and hope to loose the fat but not the muscles. I always thought this would be pretty easy if I only took
    the time and actually tried, turns out it's a "little" harder... not the workouts but eating right
    really is a pain in the a ss...

Thanks for the replies!

MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10) MichaelKB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It truly is a pain in the d!ck to diet the right way. Losing weight is easy. Losing weight at a calculated pace while maintaining muscle is a b!tch. I try to motivate myself to lift and give that extra 10% in the gym while dieting thinking "my body/cns better f*cking get the signal that it's okay to lose fat, but the muscle is still indispensable". Try BCAA's (XTend) to help you maintain your muscle while at a caloric deficit
    Michael

tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10) tonkabass is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to bulk and gain mass. For like 8 months at least or until you start gaining some size. NIce physique though

Yup....really is a b!tch! I'm turning 30 next year in April and want to be in the best shape I can + maintain as long as possible before I bite the dust. It's fun seeing the changees, but like I said I've been stuck for a while now so motivation isn't too great ... spent the weekend stuffing my face with beer, donuts and all kinds of ****ty foods cuz I'm like f*ck it ... -.-! So I really need to make some gains before I start thinking of throwing the towel again.

I'm using Creatine and a whey isolate right now and never thought about anything else yet... might try it, but I think I can still make some gains before starting something else.

SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SamWatson87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is the attatched picture you? You are def not skinny fat, and there is no way you are 6'0 153. 180 at least, unless your legs are really that bad

Originally Posted by SamWatson87 View Post
    Is the attatched picture you? You are def not skinny fat, and there is no way you are 6'0 153. 180 at least, unless your legs are really that bad
    Yeah picture is really me and yeah, the legs are that bad... -.- Like I said, I've been lifting for a while now,
    but never really did anything for my legs. It's really time to change that. Problem is I have Patella Tendonitis
    due to playing to much basketball after being an office monkey for too long and going from doing nothing to
    trying to be Kobe. So right now I am doing a lot of recovery stuff, stretching, strengthening and starting tomorrow
    I'll have a leg day once a week but skip squats for now. Just workout the calves, glutes, quads.... and hopefully
    I can start doing squats by the end of the year.

u mirin beard gains brah? bobshmob123's Avatar
    bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bobshmob123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agreed with the other guy...you are definitely not skinny fat, at all. You have a good physique, and a great base to go on a really nice, long clean bulk.

OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree that you should do a controlled bulk - 153lbs is scary light at 6'. You definitely should add some mass to your legs as your upper body looks solid - I definitely didn't expect 153... That being said be careful - I used to hoop all the time, but decided to dedicate more time to building the physique I always wanted - now I'm slow as all hell after lifting heavy for a solid year or so. I focused on heavy compounds and left out any explosive training (sprints, jumping, plyo, etc) and got slow. Now I'm embarrassed to hoop with people I used to dominate.

My reservations are around why you want to stop what you are doing - you want to change something because you don't feel like you can lose those last pounds. I would be wary of that attitude because after you bulk, you'll cut again and those last pounds to get to be really lean are the hardest (and get progressively harder). It takes a specific mental toughness to keep cutting and pushing through plateaus.

Lastly, if you are really serious, I'd recommend tracking calories and macronutrients. Once you get to <10% bf or so and you are cutting, maintaining muscle while losing bf becomes a balancing act. Some people can be successful without tracking or tweaking - but not me. I don't make progress if I'm not on top of my diet.

Thanks for the great replies. I'm motivated and started my bulking process yesterday... Legs really suck and I will have to get used to it but I will stay motivated and
    be the fittest version of myself by the end of next year!

@OkashiiKen: sooner or later I'll have to start counting calories I know, but for know I just keep myself in check with sweets and alcohol and it does the trick. Just whole wheat carbs, no sugar, lots of protein etc.. I'll try an bulk for 6 months now and then cut for 2 months. My body adapts quickly and like I said, I don't need to look like the Terminator so I hope doing 1 or 2 cycles is enough and then I'll try to maintain...

Thanks for the great replies. I'm motivated and started my bulking process yesterday... Legs really suck and I will have to get used to it but I will stay motivated and
    be the fittest version of myself by the end of next year!

@OkashiiKen: sooner or later I'll have to start counting calories I know, but for know I just keep myself in check with sweets and alcohol and it does the trick. Just whole wheat carbs, no sugar, lots of protein etc.. I'll try an bulk for 6 months now and then cut for 2 months. My body adapts quickly and like I said, I don't need to look like the Terminator so I hope doing 1 or 2 cycles is enough and then I'll try to maintain...

Just keep in mind why legs suck. They're the biggest muscle group. By working those big SOB's, you're sending a clear signal to your body and your CNS "growth required!". I don't particularly enjoy leg day, but I wobble out the gym after knowing that I've given as much growth stimulation to the bod as possible. I eat WELL on leg day, and by well I mean LOTS of CLEAN foods. I feel like it compliments my leg slaughter. My body has the signal to grow from the workout, and with my diet, I give it the tools it needs With that kinda logic in my noggin, leg day is a lil easier to swallow!
    Michael