Registered User thereisnocowlev's Avatar
    thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100)

Stalling early on stronglifts 5x5 (Barbell Rows)

Hello. I have a huge problem with Barbell Rows. The starting weight for Barbell Rows as recommended is 65lb (29kg).

**Note: Add 5kg to all weights listed below, I estimate the weight of the barbell at my gym to be 2-5kg.

I started out with 10kg on Barbell Rows, which is already extremely low. Problem is, I can't add weight without compromising on form. My Squat is already at 40kg, Overhead/Bench Press at 20/22.5kg respectively. Even when I do 20kg Barbell Rows I simply can't complete more than 3 reps. The muscles at the part behind and slightly below my shoulders seem to be the main culprit, they refuse to continue working after a few reps and I have to 'shrug' the weight up. Even then I can't make my arms go parallel to my chest let alone make the barbell touch it.

So what do you guys think? Cut back to 10kg and start again with 2.5kg weight increments per workout? Or continue (trying) to lift 20kg Barbell Rows?

teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thereisnocowlev View Post
    Hello. I have a huge problem with Barbell Rows. The starting weight for Barbell Rows as recommended is 65lb (29kg).

**Note: Add 5kg to all weights listed below, I estimate the weight of the barbell at my gym to be 2-5kg.

I started out with 10kg on Barbell Rows, which is already extremely low. Problem is, I can't add weight without compromising on form. My Squat is already at 40kg, Overhead/Bench Press at 20/22.5kg respectively. Even when I do 20kg Barbell Rows I simply can't complete more than 3 reps. The muscles at the part behind and slightly below my shoulders seem to be the main culprit, they refuse to continue working after a few reps and I have to 'shrug' the weight up. Even then I can't make my arms go parallel to my chest let alone make the barbell touch it.

So what do you guys think? Cut back to 10kg and start again with 2.5kg weight increments per workout? Or continue (trying) to lift 20kg Barbell Rows?
    You could do two things, drop the weight but not by much and do more reps with good form.

Or

Do accessory moves such as T-Bar rows and Hammer Strength Rows until you get stronger, it should help you with strength and carry over.
    www.JakeTiesler.com

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just keep at it. Barbell rows with strict form are going to be one of your weakest lifts other then overhead press.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Option 3, eat more. These programs are designed so that a beginner can easily keep up with the linear progression if they are recovering adaquately. You need to get your sleep and/or diet in check would be my guess.
    "Strength is the product of struggle. You must do what others don’t to achieve what others won’t" – Henry Rollins

The stronger you are, the lighter the world feels.

Recovering from surgery on my femur.
    Going for 300/400/500 by 9/11/2014.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160872501

Raw Nats 2014 comeatmebro DDon1996's Avatar
    DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A) How the **** do you have a 2kg barbell?

B) Flex more at the hips, you sound too upright.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159714881&p=1213186101

PowerliftingtoWIN.com

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

-- Paracelsus

teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50) teezlr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rjohndrew13 View Post
    Option 3, eat more. These programs are designed so that a beginner can easily keep up with the linear progression if they are recovering adaquately. You need to get your sleep and/or diet in check would be my guess.
    Forgot to add this...
    www.JakeTiesler.com

thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100) thereisnocowlev is not very well liked. (-100)
    A) The barbells at my gym are most definitely not Olympic barbells, they seem to weigh slightly less than a 5kg plate when I hold them upright in my hand. The squat rack also wobbles when I put the barbell + weights back into it rofl.
    B) Maybe. If I lower my hips they go up again when I try to pull the weight up.

BTW I am eating like twice what I used to eat. There is a small pile of chicken bones on my plate every meal, after cleaning two small bowls of rice, I do 2 liters of full cream milk a day (any more and my mother freaks out), I stopped skipping breakfast and eat 3 eggs fried for it, I eat peanut butter sandwiches or a large banana in the afternoon. So far it has worked out, my upper body has definitely seen gains and I can squat twice what I started with and not even feel shaky afterwards.

P.S. I have terrible form on bench press, the bar always wobbles when it is moving. Is it normal for my arms to exert an unequal amount of force? This seems to be the root cause of the problem for me.

RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10) RileyLS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    as you bench more your arms wont shake as much. its just a beginner thing. i still dont know how you have a 2kg barbell, but w/e

T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) T4ZZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Add in some extra back work. unless you're severely undereating it shouldn't be a problem with lack of cals as a beginner. Although tbh if this is your first program i'd recommend doing pretty low weight and aim for 8-12 reps rather than something so devestating to the CNS. Could substitute the barbell rows with some rack pulls and build up back strength if you can't get enough out on the lowest available weight. Just don't give up and go to machines becoz you're a greek champion not phucken robocop
    183cm 95kg

I just tried doing pushups today, I don't see any improvement over my previous performance. The last time I did pushups was before I started going to the gym (2.5 weeks ago). Which muscle group is at fault, and should I do some additional exercises to strengthen it? (Currently on Stronglifts 5x5)

Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jovaye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sounds like you might be pulling with your traps and not your back

Originally Posted by Jovaye View Post
    Sounds like you might be pulling with your traps and not your back
    I don't know how to pull with my back as you say. And I think you are right, I use upper arm/shoulder strength to pull. Which part of my body should feel 'engaged' if i am using my back correctly as you say?

Went to the gym again today.

barbell weight included
    5x5 Squat 50kg- Completed. Bad form on the last two sets (couldn't squat down to full depth - just bounced up again at parallel). Noticed my upper abs getting one hell of a workout - used to be only my legs that were sore. Shoulders ached a little.
    5x5 Overhead Press 25kg - Had trouble locking my arms after the barbell went over my head. Bar speed noticeably reduced over last time Failed rep 3 on set 3, could not even lift the barbell past forehead on 4th set. Rested for about five minutes, took a snack, reduced weight to 22.5kg and completed set 5 with reasonably good form although bar speed was even slower and I think the barbell was skewed to one side.
    1x5 Deadlift 70kg - Terrible. Felt dizzy after first two reps, had to take a long break. A fellow gym-goer pointed out that my back was severely rounded on rep 3 - good thing he did. I will have to pay more attention to my form. Failed rep 4, took 5kg off the barbell, rested another while and completed two more reps.

Total time at gym: 1hr 10minutes

Does this mean I am stalling on all my lifts? Should I continue with the current weights (no increase) for the next workout or drop all weights by 5kg?

Lower back pain is gone now, so didn't get a hernia or something...yay

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Went to the gym again today.

barbell weight included
    5x5 Squat 50kg- Completed. Bad form on the last two sets (couldn't squat down to full depth - just bounced up again at parallel). Noticed my upper abs getting one hell of a workout - used to be only my legs that were sore. Shoulders ached a little.
    5x5 Overhead Press 25kg - Had trouble locking my arms after the barbell went over my head. Bar speed noticeably reduced over last time Failed rep 3 on set 3, could not even lift the barbell past forehead on 4th set. Rested for about five minutes, took a snack, reduced weight to 22.5kg and completed set 5 with reasonably good form although bar speed was even slower and I think the barbell was skewed to one side.
    1x5 Deadlift 70kg - Terrible. Felt dizzy after first two reps, had to take a long break. A fellow gym-goer pointed out that my back was severely rounded on rep 3 - good thing he did. I will have to pay more attention to my form. Failed rep 4, took 5kg off the barbell, rested another while and completed two more reps.

Total time at gym: 1hr 10minutes

Does this mean I am stalling on all my lifts? Should I continue with the current weights (no increase) for the next workout or drop all weights by 5kg?
    Don't increase weights unless you complete all the reps 5x5 with good form.

It sounds like you need to work on mobility. Start video taping yourself to make sure your back isn't rounded and such. When deadlifting arch your back before every pull and tighten your abs.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1