Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Do you use lifting straps?

Just your average wrist strap:

I like to use them for rows (bent over and cable) and pulldowns.

Do you guys think its too much of a "cheat"? For example, I can row 235 with the straps but I struggle with 205 if I don't use them.

Thoughts?
    Nothing is impossible to he who doesn't have to do the work.

Decide to be fine til the end of the week. Make yourself smile because you're alive and that's your job. And do it again the next week. I call it being professional. Do it right, with a smile, or don't do it.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RyGuy14 View Post

Do you guys think its too much of a "cheat"? For example, I can row 235 with the straps but I struggle with 205 if I don't use them.

Thoughts?
    Assuming you're training for bodybuilding, if you didn't use straps, you'd be "cheating" yourself out of some back development.

I'd use straps, duct tape, super glue, zip ties, or anything else I could think of that would allow me to pull one extra rep.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RyGuy14 View Post

Thoughts?
    There is no "cheating" - if you like them and are progressing, then by all means.

And you're using them for "accessory" type movements. Now if you were following a powerlifting routine and using them on your deads and you hadn't had a grip failure without them, then you might be cheating yourself.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    There is no "cheating" - if you like them and are progressing, then by all means.

And you're using them for "accessory" type movements. Now if you were following a powerlifting routine and using them on your deads and you hadn't had a grip failure without them, then you might be cheating yourself.
    ^^^ Just what he said. I use them for things like heavy shrugs and would definitely use them for bent over rows. You can go to a junk yard and cut seat belts out, as they make great straps. Just loop them around your hands and wrap the doubled strap around the bar, it's a Mark Rippetoe idea and works great. Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    ^^^ Just what he said. I use them for things like heavy shrugs and would definitely use them for bent over rows. You can go to a junk yard and cut seat belts out, as they make great straps. Just loop them around your hands and wrap the doubled strap around the bar, it's a Mark Rippetoe idea and works great. Good luck.
    Just to add onto this, straps made from seat belts last about a bazillion times longer than the ones you pictured above. You could also use webbing that is used for rock climbing if the junkyard idea skeezes you out.

Cleveland, that was about the most sensible response I've ever heard to the "straps vs no straps" debate. I'd rep both of you, but I am on spread (as usual).
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RyGuy14 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Awesome, thanks for the reply guys!
    Nothing is impossible to he who doesn't have to do the work.

Decide to be fine til the end of the week. Make yourself smile because you're alive and that's your job. And do it again the next week. I call it being professional. Do it right, with a smile, or don't do it.

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally never use them, but I am training for raw powerlifting, so I see no point in using them personally.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xephonics View Post
    I personally never use them, but I am training for raw powerlifting, so I see no point in using them personally.
    Olympic lifters use straps routinely in their training, often for a huge majority of the time. I don't know as much about how powerlifters prefer to train but I can imagine the benefits would be the same.

Some assorted ideas to consider:

> Stressing your grip depletes your whole body's energy and is disproportionately draining, taking a lot of recovery. This isn't always a good thing.

> Training something "more" never necessarily means it will improve more, or faster. In fact the opposite can be true.

> The forearms, hands and fingers are small muscles and perhaps can't take as much work as the rest of your body. Even if your grip doesn't actually fail during training, it will be interfering with how much you can train the larger muscles per set, per workout and per month/year/lifetime.

> Artificially augmenting your grip with straps will allow more weight to be used, for more reps, more sets and more often - on any exercise that taxes the grip (deadlifts and variations, rows, pullups, etc.) and to train those muscles more effectively.

> At a meet you only need to perform up to three reps of a deadlift, say, which is completely different to dozens and dozens of reps of deadlifts or other movements during a workout, and a completely different grip situation. You don't need to use a "raw" grip every time just because you have to do it at a meet. Very little of what we do in training is quite the same as what we do in competition.

> One doesn't have to get one's grip training only through grip-demanding lifts. Unlimited extra grip training is available if a trainee feels that using straps has left his forearms and hands needing more work (though this is unlikely).

> Sparing your grip during normal lifting, by using straps, may leave you with more grip-energy left to do more of that novel and different grip training which could lead to new gains, unlike the same old stimulus from just holding onto barbells and dumbbells.

> Grip can easily be over-worked and get worse, being beaten up nearly every workout and never fully recovering. Giving it a rest might actually help it a lot, immediately, and give you fresher, stronger grip for meets.

Just some ideas.
    Could have been a slayer.

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use them for shrugs. I'm not going to let my grip hold back my traps. I train my grip separately, including static holds.

I don't need straps for anything else - maybe because my deadlift sucks, but so far no problem with mixed grip.

I don't think of anything as cheating, because I'm training, not competing. Whatever works.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Maluket View Post
    . Whatever works.
    Exactly ! If it works for Rippetoe, it should work for everybody, lol.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, I use straps. I've never seen the benefit of shortchanging a large muscle group in favor of working a smaller one that I can easily supplement exercises in afterwards.

It's important to train for what you're actually doing. If you're training for a sport or powerlifting or something then using straps can have obvious drawbacks in your performance. If you're strictly lifting to look good then it makes all the sense in the world to use them. Everybody has an opinion on straps, which is drawn simply from their own personal needs and preferences. Determine your needs and work towards them.

brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brbacquiring is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    If you're training for a sport or powerlifting or something then using straps can have obvious drawbacks in your performance.
    How so?

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    I personally don't use them. Wrist straps and wraps have caused me more issues with my wrists then years of sitting behind a keyboard for 8+ hrs a day.
    Like what was said, "whatever works". For me, I'm fine not using them and helping build grip strength for combat sports.....but I'm not a bodybuilder and am honestly not looking to get bigger at this point. Shoot, I only lift "heavy" twice a week anyways.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by brbacquiring View Post
    How so?
    You're relying on a tool or equipment that you won't have access to during competition.

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    You're relying on a tool or equipment that you won't have access to during competition.
    nice pop-in, why don't you stick around a bit?
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

I don't understand why that's a problem. Don't we use all kinds of things during training that we don't use during competition? So long as it benefits (or doesn't harm) our performance during competition we can do anything we like during training.

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you can't hold onto your standard work, with a few exceptions, it means you have a weak grip. We are training, and should be trying to develop weak points. Oly lifters use straps because of high-intensity/high volume lifts can stress their technique if their grip fatigues; powerlifters and strongmen might use them for select parts of their training too. I might use them on some heavy pulls or shrugs occasionally, but if you rely on them for things like lat pulldowns or anything that weighs less than you do, your grip is just weak. Train it.

Straps are just a tool. There is no moral dimension here (good or bad). Use your tools for better training. Don't use them as a crutch.
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post

Straps are just a tool. There is no moral dimension here (good or bad). Use your tools for better training. Don't use them as a crutch.
    Nice ! spoken well, and is all that is needed to know.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    Nice ! spoken well, and is all that is needed to know.
    Agreed--this is up there with Cleveland's comment above.

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    nice pop-in, why don't you stick around a bit?
    I like to "hit n' run"
    lol

I don't understand why that's a problem. Don't we use all kinds of things during training that we don't use during competition? So long as it benefits (or doesn't harm) our performance during competition we can do anything we like during training.
    You may....but, I don't.....
    For me, I can't use straps to hold onto someone's wrist, or grip someone's neck, arm, leg etc. So using straps (to me) is stupid. For what I do/enjoy, I want to be able to grip and hold whatever weight I'm using...be it DB, BB or a person.
    Personal decision. You asked a question, and I gave an answer *shrug*

Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post
    There is no moral dimension here (good or bad). Use your tools for better training. Don't use them as a crutch.
    Yep....like I said, personal decision. I don't like them, but if I see someone using them in the gym I don't give it a second though.
    Last edited by cgc; 09-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In 5x5 or 5/3/1, I never have had my grip hold me back, so I never have seen a use to use straps. I think my non-use of straps has helped my grip never be the issue.

But it as it has been said, it all boils down to how you want to train. But, if your grip is limiting you on even lighter weight stuff, then your grip might need some training.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10) El_ganso is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had an injury recently on my right arm and started using them because my grip was failing on right hand (just used one).
    I was lifting heavy (for me) and I needed it on Chin Ups and Dead Lifts.

I'm not using them anymore since I changed to a different routine and lowered the weight on some exercises. My grip is much better by the way.
    In don't mind using them as the weight goes up again to get that extra rep.

For me, I can't use straps to hold onto someone's wrist, or grip someone's neck, arm, leg etc. So using straps (to me) is stupid. For what I do/enjoy, I want to be able to grip and hold whatever weight I'm using...be it DB, BB or a person.
    Personal decision.
    Is it that you don't like the feel of them and just don't enjoy using them, or do you think that using straps on some exercises will actually weaken your grip strength?

Is it that you don't like the feel of them and just don't enjoy using them, or do you think that using straps on some exercises will actually weaken your grip strength?
    I think CGC is saying that using straps doesn't make sense for what he does, because he is training for MMA fighting, which requires, er, "gripping" opponents. He prefers to train in the way that he would fight.

I believe that Xephonics is saying the same thing. He won't be able to use straps in a powerlifting competition, so it doesn't make sense to him to train that way.

For myself, I occasionally use straps--I'm just looking to build overall strength. I only use them on my heaviest deadlift sets, as my grip is adequate for everything else that I do. In reality, I haven't even used them for deadlifts in a while.

magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magsnus1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont think for example your lats should have to suffer for weak wrists. work your wrists separately instead if its a problem to you.
    instagram @magsnus1122

Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Divall213 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've ordered some straps should I go to using them on all my sets of deads or just when my last one (I do 1x5 working the weight up).

I don't have problems with my grip but hoped straps would give me an extra 15-20lbs on my max

Originally Posted by Divall213 View Post
    I've ordered some straps should I go to using them on all my sets of deads or just when my last one (I do 1x5 working the weight up).

I don't have problems with my grip but hoped straps would give me an extra 15-20lbs on my max
    I think a lot of guys only use straps on their heaviest set--that way they are still using their natural grip on their warm up sets. Your warm up sets should be increasing as your work sets increase, so you still build grip strength.

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I think CGC is saying that using straps doesn't make sense for what he does, because he is training for MMA fighting, which requires, er, "gripping" opponents. He prefers to train in the way that he would fight.

I believe that Xephonics is saying the same thing. He won't be able to use straps in a powerlifting competition, so it doesn't make sense to him to train that way.

For myself, I occasionally use straps--I'm just looking to build overall strength. I only use them on my heaviest deadlift sets, as my grip is adequate for everything else that I do. In reality, I haven't even used them for deadlifts in a while.
    Hmm, I'm not sure I follow. It seems that people assume strap use means that you have to completely neglect your grip training, which just isn't true. Using straps on certain lifts doesn't have to mean that your grip strength will get worse/not get better/not get better as fast, etc. There's a lot more to grip training than just holding onto the weights you use for the rest of your workout. Separating the two things can allow BETTER training of both, not sacrificing one for the sake of the other.

I avoided straps for ten years or so because I thought the same way and never really questioned it, but I'm glad I looked into it and concluded that it didn't really make sense.

Let me paste something - this relates to the theorised disadvantages of using straps, but doesn't talk much about the theorised advantages of using them:

-----------
    ""Your grip won't improve/will get worse/forearms won't grow" etc.

This is rather like supposing that if you do squats on the floor instead of balancing on a ball, your abs won't get trained. The best approach is to separate the two ideas and squat effectively, standing on firm ground, and then train your abs on their own, instead of arbitrarily trying to combine the two. Why not do calf raises at the top of your squats, as well? Because we can better train calves separately later, without interfering with the squats.

Grip/forearms can be trained separately with a whole host of specific exercises, as much as you like. This is arguably more effective than just getting incidental grip training through other exercises, allowing you to choose from a wider range of movements (instead of just a simple supporting grip) and develop your grip in a more focussed and thoughtful way.

And no matter what, the small muscles involved in your grip will NOT develop as fast or as far as the rest of your body can. Waiting for your grip to catch up is quite simply a waste of time when you could be getting stronger all over without slowing your grip progression. If you do reach a point where your grip strength is matched perfectly to what the rest of your body can lift, it will be because you've intentionally left the rest of your body under-developed by allowing your grip, the weak link, to limit your progress elsewhere.

If, though, your only grip training does come from holding onto whatever you happen to be lifting during the rest of your workout, then perhaps you're not particularly interested in grip in the first place, and so using straps shouldn't pose any moral dilemma - go ahead.

"I can't use straps during competition, so shouldn't use them in training."

Firstly, it's arbitrary to apply this concept to strap use while permitting countless other things in training that we don't do or use in competition. A powerlifter doesn't bench with dumbbells at a meet, so shouldn't he use them in training? He doesn't compete with boards, bands or chains, so shouldn't he use those? He uses only single reps in competition, so should he only train with singles as well? There are countless examples from any sport - training is not supposed to always precisely replicate competition (though that is part of it) - it's just supposed to make you better at competing, when the time comes.

Returning to the point - this usually relates to the deadlift in powerlifting. Other lifts don't appear in competition at all so using straps for, say, dumbbell rows isn't relevant to this concern. The fear is that using straps will change your technique and then, come a meet, your performance will be worsened.
    For most, the deadlift is not an especially technical lift - in fact many powerlifters don't train it at all, or very little. Olympic lifters use straps for a huge proportion of their snatch training, a far more technical lift than the deadlift - presumably a certain amount of strapless training towards competition is more than enough to undo any bad habits which may have crept in - though with attention perhaps this can be avoided in the first place. It is felt that the benefits of using straps (saving their grip and permitting a much higher training volume on other muscles) outweighs the negative effect of slightly changing the nature of a competition lift.

If you do believe that all of your heavy deadlifting should be done in an exact competition-simulating style then I think that's alright. You can still benefit from strap use elsewhere, where required. Personally I prefer to avoid straps for heavy, low-rep deadlifting because it interests me to see what I can lift "raw", whereas how long I can hold on during a set of rows isn't something I note in my list of PRs.
    "

I don't think anyone is saying straps "weaken" your grip....For me personally, I know my grip is stronger without using straps. And in most cases, if I hook my thumb, I can pull just as much weight as if I were wearing straps.

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Yep....

Hmm, I'm not sure I follow. It seems that people assume strap use means that you have to completely neglect your grip training, which just isn't true. Using straps on certain lifts doesn't have to mean that your grip strength will get worse/not get better/not get better as fast, etc. There's a lot more to grip training than just holding onto the weights you use for the rest of your workout. Separating the two things can allow BETTER training of both, not sacrificing one for the sake of the other.

I avoided straps for ten years or so because I thought the same way and never really questioned it, but I'm glad I looked into it and concluded that it didn't really make sense.

Let me paste something - this relates to the theorised disadvantages of using straps, but doesn't talk much about the theorised advantages of using them:

-----------
    ""Your grip won't improve/will get worse/forearms won't grow" etc.

This is rather like supposing that if you do squats on the floor instead of balancing on a ball, your abs won't get trained. The best approach is to separate the two ideas and squat effectively, standing on firm ground, and then train your abs on their own, instead of arbitrarily trying to combine the two. Why not do calf raises at the top of your squats, as well? Because we can better train calves separately later, without interfering with the squats.

Grip/forearms can be trained separately with a whole host of specific exercises, as much as you like. This is arguably more effective than just getting incidental grip training through other exercises, allowing you to choose from a wider range of movements (instead of just a simple supporting grip) and develop your grip in a more focussed and thoughtful way.

And no matter what, the small muscles involved in your grip will NOT develop as fast or as far as the rest of your body can. Waiting for your grip to catch up is quite simply a waste of time when you could be getting stronger all over without slowing your grip progression. If you do reach a point where your grip strength is matched perfectly to what the rest of your body can lift, it will be because you've intentionally left the rest of your body under-developed by allowing your grip, the weak link, to limit your progress elsewhere.

If, though, your only grip training does come from holding onto whatever you happen to be lifting during the rest of your workout, then perhaps you're not particularly interested in grip in the first place, and so using straps shouldn't pose any moral dilemma - go ahead.

"I can't use straps during competition, so shouldn't use them in training."

Firstly, it's arbitrary to apply this concept to strap use while permitting countless other things in training that we don't do or use in competition. A powerlifter doesn't bench with dumbbells at a meet, so shouldn't he use them in training? He doesn't compete with boards, bands or chains, so shouldn't he use those? He uses only single reps in competition, so should he only train with singles as well? There are countless examples from any sport - training is not supposed to always precisely replicate competition (though that is part of it) - it's just supposed to make you better at competing, when the time comes.

Returning to the point - this usually relates to the deadlift in powerlifting. Other lifts don't appear in competition at all so using straps for, say, dumbbell rows isn't relevant to this concern. The fear is that using straps will change your technique and then, come a meet, your performance will be worsened.
    For most, the deadlift is not an especially technical lift - in fact many powerlifters don't train it at all, or very little. Olympic lifters use straps for a huge proportion of their snatch training, a far more technical lift than the deadlift - presumably a certain amount of strapless training towards competition is more than enough to undo any bad habits which may have crept in - though with attention perhaps this can be avoided in the first place. It is felt that the benefits of using straps (saving their grip and permitting a much higher training volume on other muscles) outweighs the negative effect of slightly changing the nature of a competition lift.

If you do believe that all of your heavy deadlifting should be done in an exact competition-simulating style then I think that's alright. You can still benefit from strap use elsewhere, where required. Personally I prefer to avoid straps for heavy, low-rep deadlifting because it interests me to see what I can lift "raw", whereas how long I can hold on during a set of rows isn't something I note in my list of PRs.
    "
    Good Lord, you're taking this way to seriously and almost personally.

Good Lord, you're taking this way to seriously and almost personally.
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing. For God's sake, you train for strength and grip, why would you use straps ? I can't understand how this thread has gone on as long as it has .