Roadkill401 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trying to get myself fit again

Through my 30's I was very fit. Rode a mountain bike daily and weighed in around 185. I had really no upper body definition but I had killer legs from riding offroad up hills and single track. Then I got got into an accident where I was struck by a motor vehicle running a red light and my life and body went to hell. In 2 years I was up to 265lbs suffering from a raging depression and sugar was my only friend. I did get myself down to 230 in the beginning of 2011 but a vacation to Disney with a meal plan and my will broke.

I am back to give it another try. This time with more education about what I am doing and a driven will that I am going to get there. I have read up about this Ketogenic diet, and one of the things that draws me to this not only that you can burn off belly fat directly, but it has had very good results in reducing epilepsy. I am not epileptic, but I get violent migraine headaches since the accident. I am pretty much medication resistant so I just suffer. (again sugar was my only friend). If this type of diet will help eliminate or ever reduce the amount or intensity of my migraines then that will be a driving factor to keep this up as a lifestyle.

I do however have questions as I am no expert in this diet. My doctor really doesn't want to help (and I can't switch doctors). So the internet is my only source of answers. So far I have been on my diet for 1 week. I started off before I knew about ketosis in thinking just cutting down/eliminate eating sweet sugar based foods. I track my diet using looseit on my android. After two days I read about dropping carbs down to 8% and protein to 30% and the remaining 62% fat. It seemed to far fetched to be real, but I read up on it anyway. For the past three days I have been around 12% Fat 35% Protein 53% Fat. I have been drinking lots of water to make sure I don't dehydrate myself. I tested my pee with a ketostick and I show in the advanced level. So I guess I am well on my way.

But I read on this forum about carbing up for a day. What is that all about?

Are there other hints and tricks that will help be burn off this belly so that I can get to adding on my wanted 11 lbs of lean muscle mass onto my upper body mostly.

m.

Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000) Voxmusculus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You will hear varying responses on the Keto diet here, and while I can't speak to it personally, I will say that a keto diet is completely unnecessary and unwarranted for getting in shape. More importantly, it's also something that cannot be maintained for life, and you want something that's sustainable -- a lifestyle that helps you eat right and stay in good shape for the rest of your life.

Ultimately, losing fat is about calories in versus calories out, and keeping/gaining muscle is about sufficient protein intake and exercising those muscles. Being healthy is about maintaining a healthy balance of your macros (i.e. protein/fat/carbs) and ensuring that you get an adequate, full-body workout.

At the end of the day, do not try and do "fad" diets. Try and maintain a healthy but moderate lifestyle and eating habits. It is good that you're already tracking your diet, and I am not sure of what Loose It does. I would personally recommend something like My Fitness Pal or LiveStrong My Plate where you can track your calories and your macros, and make sure that you are hitting your calorie goals as well as your macros.

I would strongly suggest that you read the losing fat thread right here before you go any further: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

The other thing I would suggest is joining one of the competition threads that we have going, such as this one: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156559073 -- it's good motivation, and it's a forum to ask questions and receive candid feedback.

Good luck!