olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)

168 Lbs lost Pics and story (my transformation)

I thought I would share with you my story of a lifestyle change/makeover. If you have spent any time on these kinds of sites you have read your share of stories and it becomes sort of cliché or redundant but the simple truth is, the recipe for success is pretty cut and dry and works every time its tried if a person is consistent and committed so I suppose I am no different. The short version is I was fat and in poor health and now I am fit and leaner and in the best health of my adult life.

Now the long version. In June of last year (2012) there was a trailer/display setup in the parking lot at the office where I work at so I walked over to see what the fuss was about. It turns out they were pricking fingers to check for diabetes. Like most work places ours is on a wellness kick and offers these awareness opportunities. Having no recollection of the last time I had been tested and since I was there, I offered them my finger and then watched a diabetes awareness video while I waited for the results. An A1C test result of 5% means you are not at risk of diabetes, a result of 7% or more means you are diabetic. Sadly mine came back at 6.7%.

I was on the doorstep of type 2 Diabetes and having older relatives with type 2, I knew I wanted nothing to do with that. The folks in the truck told me the local YMCA and my employer were jointly offering a 17 week diabetes awareness/action class at no charge, on site and during my work day. They made it so easy I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. The class was to begin in 3 months.

On Sept 20th, I attended the first class and was greeted with a scale. The results were grim. I weighed 365 pounds (165 Kg) and I had a 50 inch waist size. The focus was of course on healthy eating, exercise and a goal of losing 7% of your current body weight as that has shown to reduce the onset of type 2 diabetes. That meant losing 25 pounds but I knew my personal goal was to lose much more. I set as a goal to lose 165 pounds to get down to 200 Lbs.

My starting stats were

Weight: 365 pounds (166 Kg)
    Height: 5 foot 11
    BMI: 51
    Body fat percent: 51%
    Waist size: 50 inches
    Shirt size: 4 XL
    Bad knees (bone spurs and arthritis in both)

I did the right thing and checked with my doctor and told him my plans and had a health check including blood work. My employer provides a fitness center (also on site) that I planned to use to help me drop the weight and get fit. I didn’t have a time frame for reaching my goal weight and knew such folly is ripe with disappointment so I resisted setting myself up for failure with a date I couldn’t possibly guess at. It took years to get this out of shape so I couldn’t expect to get fit in a speedy fashion. One day and one step at a time became the motto backed up with “no bull**** excuses” and using the “ELMM” diet which stands for Eat Less Move More.

I visited the fitness center 5 days a week after work and reduced my calorie intake considerably. Not surprisingly, it worked, I took in less calories than I used in a day and began dropping weight through lots of cardio. My goal was to start strength training/weight lifting but the Doc said to drop 100 pounds before getting underneath a barbell. I didn’t care for this prescription but I obliged and daily used the treadmill and the stationary bike and ate less while eating better quality food than I had been eating in the past. I was losing fat and I know I was losing lean tissue as well.

It was tough at first but we all know a road with no obstacles probably doesn’t lead anywhere. Wisconsin winters are long and cold but daily I worked out at the indoor facility and during Oct, Nov, Dec, January and Feb I watched the snow fly through the big windows of the fitness center from the belt of the treadmill. During that time I used a website called my fitness pal to track everything I ate and all the workouts I did. I was very conscious of my nutrition macros and every 3 months I had blood work done to ensure I was getting proper nutrition and I shopped and cooked some great food because I am not a rice cake and celery guy. If this is to be a habit forming lifestyle commitment that I am to sustain I have to eat foods I like. Everything is on the table (literally) because I know denial leads to withdrawal and cheating and failure. The same is true of working out. Consistency is key. Not skipping workouts is key.

During this process I gave up only one thing and that was Soda, (pop) including diet sodas. My dentist thanked me as well. Everything else was fair game but in moderation. Exactly 5 months later (late Feb), I had meet the doctors requirement of losing 100 pounds (45.3 Kg) before I could start lifting weights. Sadly when we lose weight we don’t just lose fat, we lose muscle and other important things and since I was not doing any strength training that’s exactly what happened. I was lighter (but still fat) but I was far weaker than I cared to be. At nearly 50 years old I was already losing muscle just because of my age so my weight loss and no strength training only compounded my loss of strength and condition. I was just plan weak.

As I approached the 100 pound weight loss mark I began building my home gym. I had months to assemble a home gym. I got a couple of Olympic barbells and 700 Lbs of cast iron plates and built a lifting cage and a few cable machines so I could work out at home. The plan was to lift weights on Mon, Weds, Friday and Sunday and use the fitness center for cardio on Tues and Thurs. While I was building the gym waiting to reach the goal weight to starting weight training I searched for a weight lifting program for an old, out-of-shape and weak 50 year old with no real knowledge of how to properly lift weights without injuring my old, weak self. I needed a beginner program so I didn’t end up hurting myself by lifting wrong or starting with too much weight.

I discovered stronglifts 5x5. 5 x 5 in a linier progressive strength training for beginners and since I hadn’t touched a barbell in about 30 years, I qualified as a beginner. The 5 x 5 program centers around 5 lifts, Squat, Dead lift, Bench press, Overhead press and bent over barbell rows. In short, you start with an empty bar (which weighs 45 Lbs) and every time you lift you add 5 pounds. The goal is to lift light as you learn to lift right and because I was weak as hell, starting light was a good move. As I lifted through March, April, May and June I continued to lose weight and I kept adding weight to the bar as the lifts increased. From a weight loss standpoint, at no time did I stall or plateau or gain any weight. Every week was a steady weight loss. My strength was returning but not as fast as I would hope but that’s understandable since I was on a caloric deficit. Even though I was taking in lots of protein, in terms of my progression in lifting weights, I was trying to both lose weight while gaining strength which runs counter to one another.

When I started lifting I wanted to at least establish how much I could bench press. (it’s a guy thing) Sadly I could only bench 125 Lbs (57 Kg). I had never squatted before and really struggled. I recall how sore I was after squatting the empty bar 25 times. I was sore for a week. The other lifts were not a problem except for my lack of strength.

My beginning stats after losing 100 pounds and starting the 5x5 program

Weight: 265 pounds (120.2 Kg)
    BMI: 37
    Body fat percent: 38%
    Waist size: 42 inches
    Shirt size: 2XL

Squat: 0 Lbs
    Bench: 125 Lbs
    Row: 0 Lbs
    Deadlift: 0
    Overhead press: 0

I began lifting and was sore as hell but stuck with it. I was still focused on weight loss so my daily calorie goal was 1,400. This is low and not conducive to making strength gains but my primary goal was fat loss and my secondary goal was strength gains so I stuck with the caloric deficit and slowly built up my strength. A few months in I increased my calorie intake to 1600 daily. Now as I write this, 6 months have elapsed.

My stats after 6 months on the 5x5 program

Weight: 197 pounds (89.3 Kg)
    BMI: 27
    Body fat percent: 17%
    Waist size: 34 inches
    Shirt size: Medium

Squat: 220 Lbs
    Bench: 180 Lbs
    Row: 140 Lbs
    Deadlift: 310 Lbs
    Overhead press: 115 Lbs

During this time I increased my calorie intake to 1600 because I was working out 10 hours a week. The fat was still coming off and the strength was increasing steadily. When I reached my original goal body weight of 200 Lbs. (91 Kg) I reevaluated and changed my goal body weight to 190 Lbs. (86.2 Kg). I don’t know what my new caloric intake will be when I reach my goal weight and have to eat more to stop losing weight. That will take a bit of trial and error to find a maintenance caloric intake. Im hoping this will aid me in lifting more and increased strength during workouts.

Its clear the strength training is paying off in multiple ways. I was losing weight and gaining strength. I was NOT putting on tens pounds of muscle (although that would have been nice) But at nearly 50 years old and eating light I am happy not to be losing the 3% of muscle a year that older folks tend to lose. I credit lifting with my lack of loose skin. I still have some loose skin but suspect I would have had more loose skin and lack of muscle tone had I not lifted weights. I look forward to the changes I will see over the next 6 months and the 6 months after that.

Don’t give up. Let the success of others motivate you. If I can do it you can too.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #30 -!!!---!!!-

jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100) jakebrownvb is not very well liked. (-100)
    was 168 pounds 8 weeks ago.. the moment someone says they lost you in fat... good job!

stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000) stang53188 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congrats man!

I was 308.6 @ 23 years old when i decided to make my change. Push on my brother.

A long time ago I came across a quote in someone's sig that I like so much I got it tatted across my shoulders when I hit my -100lb mark(since bounced up and down but headed down again)

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."

Keep up the hard work.

ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToshiroAki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    crazy awesome!

hope the skin settles back in a bit more for you though, but hell i will take lose skin if it means being healthy any day.
    90 day transformation challenge,

May-1 (394.4) May-8 (385.3) May-15 (371.6) May-22 (362.1) May-29 (356.2)
    June-5 (347.8) June-12 (341.6) June-19 (337.3) June-26 (333.4)
    July-3 (325.0) July-10 (320.1) July-17 (316.3) July-24 (312.2) July-31 (306.9)
    August-1 (306.1) final weigh in

---
    Former 500lb club
    Former 400lb club
    Former 300lb club
    Former 200lb club

abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10) abridgel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Only 6 mths from 265lbs to 197lbs congrats man - I was 265lbs last summer and still plugging away slowly.
    ON MY WAY!!!!!

12/01/14 -> 236.7lbs
    03/02/15 -> 221.1lbs
    03/13/15 -> 217.3lbs
    06/05/15 -> 208.2lbs

How becoming a father changed my view on fitness, wellness and life
    http://thedaddysutras.com
    https://********.com/thedaddysutras
    https://instagram.com/thedaddysutras

poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow, you are one much stronger than I am mentally to be able to do 1400 ish calories a day (not saying I support it at your size). Truly an inspirational story, congrats pal!

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good job so far, truly inspiring to see someone of your age making such a huge change and striving to improve. Most your age would just give up or not even bother to try change their habits.
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) olebuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by poker27 View Post
    Wow, you are one much stronger than I am mentally to be able to do 1400 ish calories a day (not saying I support it at your size). Truly an inspirational story, congrats pal!
    1400 was tough and Im glad to be past that. 1600 is better and I expect to be at 1800 or 2000 cals a day as soon as I hit 195 pounds.

HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000) HILMAN76 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great job,man!

Awesome work, your dedication is really showing!

dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dcmix5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great job man, really...it is nice to see someone commit and believe in the process. One day at a time is the way to approach it

Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gatorrr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    wow absolutely amazing, great job man keep it up!!!!

Registered User RocknRollMuscle's Avatar
    RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kong rats. You did everything right.

Just some points:

1) You could've avoided any muscle loss with high amounts of protein and weight training. However don't fuss - obese people rarely loss muscle when they cut. There's just so much fat there (and leptin resistance) that there's no need for body to become catabolic. Muscle loss is more an issue with leaner folks. Tell your doc this.
    2) Excess skin will be improved once you get to LOW levels of bf first. Most images you see of folks with excess skin - they're still relatively fat. Once you get to 15-12-9 whatever, body will start ravaging your skin. Also helps is of course building muscle. Give it time.

Do't worry about the skin - you gained years to your life and that's cause to celebrate. kudos again.
    Weight Loss: Go carnivore or keto combined with 16/8 IF. It'll create easy calorie deficit. Meat is good and heals, stop being lied to.

Youtube Dr. Shawn Baker to change your life today.

elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    great job OP...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=655657063&posted=1#post655657063 = first cut back in 2010

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153696761&p=1064656001#post1064656001 = second cut 2013

Update. Today I am down another 3 pounds. Im at 192 and only 2 more pounds to go to reach goal.

Update. Goal reached. I hit 190 pounds today. Time to maintain. 175 pounds total loss.

RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000) RoboBob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by olebuck View Post
    Update. Goal reached. I hit 190 pounds today. Time to maintain. 175 pounds total loss.
    That's awesome! Congrats!

Now, go pick up 175lbs to feel what you've lost.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    awesome work. best part is you'll suffer minimal loose skin it looks like. keep it up.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rbdbld will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good job man, congrats! Keep updating.

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Haha, nice.

Pics? BF%?
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)

Originally Posted by unleashthelion View Post
    Haha, nice.

Pics? BF%?
    Look up. Lots of pics. BF is about 15% now.

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by olebuck View Post
    Look up. Lots of pics. BF is about 15% now.
    I've seen those -- I was hoping for some goal achieved pics

Good stuff, man.
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)