Registered User thatguyinthegym's Avatar
    thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000)

"Cheating" on Skullcrushers

I've always believed that lowering the bar behind your head increases the stretch of the triceps muscle, as well as increasing the ROM and making the exercise more difficult.

Obviously, because of this the shoulder joint does tend to bend a bit towards the head, which would increase lat involvement in the exercise.

I have always felt that this wasn't necessarily "cheating", because I would outweigh the weight I'm able to use on the exercise against keeping form completely strict and lowering the bar to my forehead. I feel you get very little power performing it this way.

Normally I am a stickler on form and never increase weight until I'm able to with perfect form, but I have always used this as a bit of an exception because I still feel my triceps doing most of the work.

Is this cheating, and should I stop lowering the bar behind my head?

mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i always thought they were different exercises; french press when you lower it behind your head

with that said, i prefer french press: seems to be more elbow friendly in my case
    Always pick 4

Registered User thatguyinthegym's Avatar
    thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000) thatguyinthegym is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mickydees View Post
    i always thought they were different exercises; french press when you lower it behind your head

with that said, i prefer french press: seems to be more elbow friendly in my case
    It is also definitely easier on your elbows.

I always thought French press was with an EZ curl while seated?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by thatguyinthegym View Post
    ........ I still feel my triceps doing most of the work.

Is this cheating...........?
    If you still feel the work in your triceps, then for you, it's not "cheating."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Taking the movement to behind your head and then extending outwards will hit both heads of the tricep. Ripp can explain it much better than I can:

http://www.allthingsgym.com/back-to-...eps-extension/
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

Registered User JayScottFitness's Avatar
    JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000) JayScottFitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Arnold Style (in his encyclopedia) say to lower behind the head. I like those a lot - but I also like the one where I lower the bar straight to the forehead. I can't do as much weight, but I feel they are both worthwhile. Treat them as 2 separate exercises. I feel the behind the head version higher on the triceps, and the straight to the forehead version more around the elbow/lower triceps.

superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50) superstylr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The triceps extend both the elbow and the shoulder joints

Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jbreezee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do whatever feels best for your triceps. There is no universally correct form on any exercise.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    as long as you are able to increase your strength on that it doesnt matter. it does involve some shoulders and lats but feels good stretch on triceps too. i think for triceps extension you will get good results from that version too.

MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MWorkz18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It isn't "cheating" at all, so no worries, but everyone else is right... it is just simply a different exercise, or even a modified version of the skullcrusher... also by not bringing your arms below your head, your isolating the tricep, and not using lats or even chest to help the bar back in front of you head. Either way its a great exercise, so go with what you prefer.