deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

New Ironmaster half rack - IM1500

At risk of coming across like an Ironmaster fan boy after my posts in recent threads - I noticed this new product showed up on the Ironmaster website:

http://www.ironmaster.com/IM1500-Weight-Lifting-System/

Looks like it has a few things going for it - 2" hole spacing, band pegs, weight storage and bar storage. But it's still a half rack - I wouldn't be happy with it.

I don't pay too much attention to the US market as I can't get most stuff here. How does this compare with the likes of Rogue's S-2?

The S-2 would be $560 with spotter arms - but no weight storage or band pegs. The IM1500 is $599.

I think based on weight they must be a similar guage steel (S-2 is 153lbs at 92" tall, IM1500 is 210lbs at 84.5"- but allow for extra steel in weight storage.) The IM has a larger footprint (51"x51") vs the S-2 (48"-48").

The S-2's optional spotter arms are 24" long - IM doesn't specify how long the IM1500 safety arms are but I think they are significantly shorter. The hole spacing for both is 2", but the S-2 has westside style 1" spacing in the bench area.

If one was planning to do some serious band work with the IM1500, I would assume one would want to put a bunch of weight on or bolt it down.

I think the additional features the IM offers over the S-2 certainly put up a strong case - I could forgo the westside hole spacing but I think the short spotter arms on the IM1500 could be a deal breaker if I was looking for a half cage.

On another note - sweet CAP barbell set in the IM showroom lol!

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah those spotters look iffy but overall it looks pretty cool. Might be a good rack for a very small space.

They should just do a full rack.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The plate & bar storage is neat, but it attaches to the pullup bar? Really? That's where I uh, you know, CHIN?!
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SkinnySquats View Post
    The plate & bar storage is neat, but it attaches to the pullup bar? Really? That's where I uh, you know, CHIN?!
    Maybe that's not really a pull up bar. But it could have been.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If the bar in the back, and the bar at the top, came out relatively easily (say, attached with handscrews), it could be very interesting. Want to work out in your living room? Move the couch of the the way, assemble the rack, do your workout dissassemble it, move the couch back. You'd need to be ok with the aesthetic of having it leaned up against your wall when not using it, but that's a lot easier to live with than losing half your living room permanently. Or same thing with lifting in your garage.

(Note - some of the following critisms also apply to the previous post, just to lazy to list out which ones do an don't apply).

However.

As a permanent rack, it seems useless to me.

1. Cost - costs just as much as a power rack.
    2. Space - takes up just as much permanent floor space as a power rack.
    3. Safety - not quite as safe a power rack. But since #1 and #2, you don't gain anything in exchange for less safety.
    4. Safety Catches - they look like they're about 14 inches long.

With a power rack, you would any movement covered by the safeties. Here you don't - and you get no advantage for losing them.
    5. Storing the weights in the back middle looks less safe if you fell forward.
    6. 2" spacing isn't bad, though 1" would be nicer around the bench press area.

Their pictures make it look relatively nice, but other than that I just don't see the advantage here over a regular power rack.

P.S. #7 - I think moving plates from the storage in the back middle to the bar on the catch on the front would be a little annoying. Having the heavy weights right next to the bar on a power rack makes it easier, and with this one you're tripping over the rack that's on the ground every time. It's just an annoyance, but one more thing a power rack does better.
    Last edited by PaulRivers; 08-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Plate and bar storage looks like a gimmick. Also the paintjob looks uglier than Rogue's powdercoat.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...9617743&page=1

Rogue's 2 pins for storage seem adequate. They'd interfere with rack pulls but you can just take them off for that.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10) DugB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would like to point out that the Rogue is made in the USA. Remarkable that they are so close in price, given that labor costs are much higher in the US.

I'm no Rockefeller/Kardashian, but I would, and have, ponied up the extra bucks for a product made in the USA.

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This thing is just not that impressive, I'll stick with my Rogue stand. The spotters do look weak. What is the point of double J-hooks?
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rythex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah, kind of looks cheap, I only have a S1 but at least the hooks / arms look better than this.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If Bowflex made half racks...this is what they would look like.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SkinnySquats View Post
    This thing is just not that impressive, I'll stick with my Rogue stand. The spotters do look weak. What is the point of double J-hooks?
    I made double hooks for my rack so I wouldn't have to move the hooks for flat ->incline bench. Lazy I guess.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Registered User onelifetolive33's Avatar
    onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looks OK to me

I get the half rack criticism but there is a lot here I could like, given the price point. The brand does make me give it the benefit of the doubt to its quality. It has 3x3 construction. The design does seem odd somehow though. I like the rubber floor pads (don't have to bolt it down). At approx. 7 feet it is just high enough for overhead lifts and will fit nicely with my 8' ceilings while still allowing clearance for chinning. The product description says you can lift inside or outside so it seems you could take the plates off the storage and lift inside the rack when you're going heavy. I'm not entirely sure I'd feel comfortable doing that though ... would probably be visualizing getting my head squashed on those plate storage bars. The safeties do look short and yet they do look strong. I'd probably be comfortable with their length for bench pressing. For squats, I could tie a rope to the ends of the bar to catch it if it went forward ... sailing has taught me how to utilize rope. My concern might be that if I was actually to fail I'd likely have all the plates I own on the bar so the rope could potentially pull the un-weighted rack forward. Obviously I would size up the rope and inside-the-rack solutions carefully before relying on either. The 2" spacing is adequate and I could get an in-between adjustment using some wood if needed. These are accommodations I would be willing to make since the price is less than a cage of similar 3x3 construction and there is much I do like.

A half rack would be less invasive to the room and it will be easier to move the bar between the rack and platform. My gym is starting to feel a bit cramped (17 feet x 10 feet space, super bench, accessory rack, spotting stand, IMDB stand, treadmill, C2 rower, olympic bars and bumpers with no storage yet, and a platform). The invasive size of a full power cage or the need to anchor a shallow cage has been the main reason I've put off getting one. Caveat: i enjoy strength training alone 4 - 6 days a week (have never had a gym membership) but I'm not really interested in progressing to massive amounts of weight (marathon runner); however, I am past due adding barbell squats to my routines. Floor space for stretching and jumping rope, etc. is a difficult choice to encroach on too. Not sure I'll ever progress to bands but at least I'll have the option or so the description says (would have thought you'd need a full rack for bands... as I said "odd design"). Maybe I don't belong on this forum with all of you serious lifters, lol. In fact, this is my first post ... have been reading for a few years.

Hmmm, I've talked my way into buying this. If I remember and am again up at 2am on a Friday, I'll update you on the actual length of those safeties and any other general observations ... such as whether lifting inside is feasible and as weird as I expect.

prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000) prepremed is just really nice. (+1000)
    safeties too short/10

I really like half racks, but that will make the rack mostly useless

for the price, you can get a squat stand with a pullup bar and long safeties. There are some decent plate storage solutions on amazon for $30. band pegs aren't essential at all

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by onelifetolive33 View Post
    The invasive size of a full power cage or the need to anchor a shallow cage has been the main reason I've put off getting one.
    Rogue is starting to offer shallow cages which don't need to be bolted down. The RM-390F has a footprint that's only 3" deeper than the IM1500.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DugB View Post
    I would like to point out that the Rogue is made in the USA. Remarkable that they are so close in price, given that labor costs are much higher in the US.

I'm no Rockefeller/Kardashian, but I would, and have, ponied up the extra bucks for a product made in the USA.
    Robots don't get labor..
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Rogue would have had to spent big on a laser tube cutter (most probably a Trumpf) but they can spit out perfectly cut parts super fast someone just has to load the steel onto the side of it.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
    Rogue would have had to spent big on a laser tube cutter (most probably a Trumpf).
    Judging from the Rogue factory video, the bender they are using is almost certainly by Trumpf.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

Registered User onelifetolive33's Avatar
    onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ironmaster

I took your input about the IM1500 seriously. The arms are too short, etc. The Rouge unit that doesn't need to be bolted down is sold at a significant premium to the base R3 and was out of stock too. I decided to go with the IM2000. It will give me the ability to do cable and smith exercises, but with the free bar attachment it can double as a half rack. I will use straps from the top of the IM2000 to catch the barbell when I trip-up or fail, etc. This way, I maintain most of my floor space but gain the ability to put many additional exercises into the mix. I know the IM2000 has great reviews but gets criticized as well for being a smith-like machine. I like its small footprint, plate storage, upper and lower cable and that it will work with some of the attachments and the bench I already own. I'm not too worried about a smith machine's neglect of stabilizing muscles or about unnatural paths since I do a lot of balance exercises to enhance my running. I will also continue to focus heavily on dumbbell exercises and olympic lifts so the smith stuff is just gravy. If I find that I can't properly hang the straps off the IM2000, I will install railings on the ceiling for this purpose. My gym is in on the 2nd floor of a Victorian house and the support beams in the attic floor are impressive and strong enough hold a suddenly stressed railing. I've already hung a heavy bag and this works perfectly. However, Sam's fitness in Oz has posted some YouTube videos and spud extension straps look like they'll work just fine with the im2000. I know these are famous last words, but I feel that after this purchase, my home gym will be complete .... yeah right.

Finally the buy USA argument doesn't really resonate with me as a Canadian and staunch believer in free trade. Still the IM2000 is designed, marketed, warehoused and retailed from Washington, unloaded by US longshoremen, and shipped across the continent by US and Canadian truckers in trucks most certainly manufactured in Michigan and powered by diesel refined and purchased in the US from oil likely extracted in Alberta. My transaction was mostly done over Google's gmail and Bell's fiber-optic cable and finalized using a Canadian bank's credit card and Ironmaster's bank in Washington. That is a lot of employment by US workers. I don't have a problem with Chinese laborers, Filipino sailors, Danish shipping companies, British financiers, Australian miners for the iron ore, and maybe Canadian forestry workers for the cardboard packaging also getting a piece. Those people now have money to purchase what my home town produces. And that boat that brought my IM2000 from Taiwan now has capacity to carry something produced here to a market overseas. The money I saved can now be used to buy something else, likely something a US corporation's very well paid advertising staff in New York has convinced me I need. My job and my standard of living depends on trade; I'm sure yours does too.

deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deiphid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by onelifetolive33 View Post
    Finally the buy USA argument doesn't really resonate with me as a Canadian and staunch believer in free trade. Still the IM2000 is designed, marketed, warehoused and retailed from Washington, unloaded by US longshoremen, and shipped across the continent by US and Canadian truckers in trucks most certainly manufactured in Michigan and powered by diesel refined and purchased in the US from oil likely extracted in Alberta. My transaction was mostly done over Google's gmail and Bell's fiber-optic cable and finalized using a Canadian bank's credit card and Ironmaster's bank in Washington. That is a lot of employment by US workers. I don't have a problem with Chinese laborers, Filipino sailors, Danish shipping companies, British financiers, Australian miners for the iron ore, and maybe Canadian forestry workers for the cardboard packaging also getting a piece. Those people now have money to purchase what my home town produces. And that boat that brought my IM2000 from Taiwan now has capacity to carry something produced here to a market overseas. The money I saved can now be used to buy something else, likely something a US corporation's very well paid advertising staff in New York has convinced me I need. My job and my standard of living depends on trade; I'm sure yours does too.
    Excellent summary of why I don't give a lot of thought to place of origin when buying equipment. Quality of the product is of more concern to me.

I do have some reservations around working conditions in Asia and I wouldn't call myself a believer in free trade but I hardly think its fair how some members of this board write off anything made in China as being poor quality.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been looking at this half rack, since I have a lot of other Ironmaster equipment and came across this thread. I've also read this rebuttal: samsfitness .com.au/blog/ironmaster-im1500-review to some of the criticisms. I don't agree with many of the points in the rebuttal, but whatever - everyone has their opinions.

The one thing I don't understand, is why they don't line the J-hooks and the spotter arms with UHMW plastic to protect the rack and equipment? Especially in a home setting, where many of us (is it just me?) care about how our equipment looks and ages.

I'm really debating between this rack and the Rogue SML-1 w/spotter arms: www roguefitness com/sml-1-rogue-70-monster-lite-squat-stand

It has heavy duty 24" spotter arms, beefier metal, made in the US, cheaper, etc. Sure, it doesn't have storage, but I can always rig something up or upgrade it with an HR-2 conversion kit. With the conversion kit, the price would be higher than the IM1500, but it would be way more useful by having both spotters as a half rack and a small cage (if needed). The optional plate storage bars could also be turned inside to save on space at home.

The only reason I haven't bought the Rogue is the height. it's either 72" with no pullup bar or 92" with pullup which woudln't work with my ceiling. The IM1500 is 84" which is almost perfect for me. The design/size of the Dick's Fitness Gear Pro Half Rack would also work excellently, but I've read that people aren't too impressed with its construction. If it were 11ga steel, I'd probably just go in that direction.

Still trying to figure out what's best for me, but thought I'd bump up this thread to see if anyone else has any more opinions. I haven't read any real-world reviews of the IM1500 since it came out. Anyone own one?
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bobcat255 View Post
    The only reason I haven't bought the Rogue is the height. it's either 72" with no pullup bar or 92" with pullup which wouldn't work with my ceiling. The IM1500 is 84" which is almost perfect for me.
    My ceiling is only 83", and I bought the SML-2. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut away 10", then filed away any stray shavings. It wasn't that difficult. I can't use the pullup bar to do pullups, but I can hang rings from them, and it adds lateral stability to the rack.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ichthis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've been looking at this half rack, since I have a lot of other Ironmaster equipment and came across this thread. I've also read this rebuttal: samsfitness .com.au/blog/ironmaster-im1500-review to some of the criticisms. I don't agree with many of the points in the rebuttal, but whatever - everyone has their opinions.

The one thing I don't understand, is why they don't line the J-hooks and the spotter arms with UHMW plastic to protect the rack and equipment? Especially in a home setting, where many of us (is it just me?) care about how our equipment looks and ages.

I'm really debating between this rack and the Rogue SML-1 w/spotter arms: www roguefitness com/sml-1-rogue-70-monster-lite-squat-stand

It has heavy duty 24" spotter arms, beefier metal, made in the US, cheaper, etc. Sure, it doesn't have storage, but I can always rig something up or upgrade it with an HR-2 conversion kit. With the conversion kit, the price would be higher than the IM1500, but it would be way more useful by having both spotters as a half rack and a small cage (if needed). The optional plate storage bars could also be turned inside to save on space at home.

The only reason I haven't bought the Rogue is the height. it's either 72" with no pullup bar or 92" with pullup which woudln't work with my ceiling. The IM1500 is 84" which is almost perfect for me. The design/size of the Dick's Fitness Gear Pro Half Rack would also work excellently, but I've read that people aren't too impressed with its construction. If it were 11ga steel, I'd probably just go in that direction.

Still trying to figure out what's best for me, but thought I'd bump up this thread to see if anyone else has any more opinions. I haven't read any real-world reviews of the IM1500 since it came out. Anyone own one?
    I don't own one but I've used similar setups before. Without question, those shorty spotter arms pretty much would take it off my list (although I do think Ironmaster in general is a good company that makes good products). If you think about it, the j-hooks extend at least 2 inches, maybe more, which means you really have about 9 or 10 inches of working space, which for me is at best barely enough to do a variety of benches comfortably, and not enough for me to squat without paying too much attention to where I'm at with respect to the spotters. Better than powertec's certainly, but still not enough IMO.

throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) throwaway3441 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The one thing I don't understand, is why they don't line the J-hooks and the spotter arms with UHMW plastic to protect the rack and equipment?
    When I asked them about that they said, IIRC, that it was to keep the price down.

When I was interested in it I wanted longer safeties and UHMW lining on the j-hooks and safeties. They wouldn't modify anything but they would sell the rack for $100 less without the safeties j-hooks. That's when I saw the post about the failed weld on the Ironmaster lat attachment and decided to look for something else.

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post
    My ceiling is only 83", and I bought the SML-2. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut away 10", then filed away any stray shavings. It wasn't that difficult. I can't use the pullup bar to do pullups, but I can hang rings from them, and it adds lateral stability to the rack.
    That's a great idea, I'll have to consider that. So you're able to attach the fat/skinny bar anywhere along the uprights? I.e. the hole spacing on the inside of the tubing allows you to just move it X inches down? I'd love to see pictures if you have any. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by throwaway3441 View Post
    When I asked them about that they said, IIRC, that it was to keep the price down.

When I was interested in it I wanted longer safeties and UHMW lining on the j-hooks and safeties. They wouldn't modify anything but they would sell the rack for $100 less without the safeties j-hooks. That's when I saw the post about the failed weld on the Ironmaster lat attachment and decided to look for something else.
    Keep the price down or keep the margins high? Rogue's construction and spotter arms are beefier/better/more modular in every way and it costs less. Granted, it has a few less features (weight holders, bar holder, etc) at that price point, but the fact that it's manufactured in US vs China should be factored in. No excuse as far as I'm concerned. It's not even offered as an option for those willing to pay more.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

Check out what I found:

worcester.craigslist.org/for/4649981479.html
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

Originally Posted by weisgarb View Post
    That's a great idea, I'll have to consider that. So you're able to attach the fat/skinny bar anywhere along the uprights? I.e. the hole spacing on the inside of the tubing allows you to just move it X inches down? I'd love to see pictures if you have any. Thanks in advance!
    Scott,

Just wanted to thank you for the idea once again (repped!). I actually called Rogue to see if they'd do it for me and they would for ~$50. However, they do it AFTER powder coat. Kind of a bummer - anyone can cut it after powder coat.

Again, if you do end up seeing this, I'd love to see pics of your setup.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Scott,

Just wanted to thank you for the idea once again (repped!). I actually called Rogue to see if they'd do it for me and they would for ~$50. However, they do it AFTER powder coat. Kind of a bummer - anyone can cut it after powder coat.

Again, if you do end up seeing this, I'd love to see pics of your setup.
    I don't have any pictures at the moment but can take some this week.

If you look at the picture on Rogue's site, you'll see they have extra holes at the top of each upright to allow you to adjust the height of the pullup bar. If I remember correctly, I was able to install my bar 12" lower than the "default" setting without having to drill additional holes.

If you decide to go with one of the Rogue racks (or any rack) and want to cut it yourself, the angle grinder worked considerably better than I had expected, if you have one. If you mark all the way around the uprights where you want to cut and take it slow, you won't even notice that the tubing was cut when looking at it from below.
    Attached Images
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

Here are a few close-ups of the pullup bar and upright after it was cut. My ceiling is about 83" high. I added the carriage bolts at the top to hang the rings from when I'm not using them.

Here's the current set of just the rack and bench. It looks a little stark because until 1.5 weeks ago the wall used to be dark walnut paneling, and I just put the final coat of paint on a couple days ago and am waiting for it to cure before I hang anything on the wall. By the way, if you ever get the brilliant idea that filling in all the seams in paneling with joint compound so it looks like drywall after painting is something you should do, give yourself a day to come to your senses before you try to actually do it.

Attached Images

Registered User Curbside_Quiche's Avatar
    Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)
    This was posted on our youtube channel on our Lee Priest gives some bench press tips -

"Hi, Sam. I own Ironmaster stuff (& lots of it) here in USA. I bought the IM1500 last month. Wow, it rocks! Super solid pull up bar even dip-belt weighted, gr8 weight plate storage, and love the hooks and safeties. Even bought the removable dip bars, perfect! Rock firm even without bolting to floor. Thanks for designing it, Sam. Highly recommended!"

In regards to spotter length, I will post a video of Lee squatting at some stage to show where you end up in relation to the spotters. You have plenty of room.
    Attached Images