apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50)

pre contest macros

i am currently cutting down for a contest and was curious how others might approach their macros before a show. This year so far i use and fluctuate between

protein 210-230 grams
    carbs 80-170 grams depending on the workload of the day
    overall calories 1600- 2200 daily
    currently175lbs .
    currently 3 weeks away from the first show and 7 weeks away from the second

this has worked so far for me, but the low carb days feel like hell. i am wondering if upping the carbs a bit will slow down my progress? just looking to get some ideas/ thoughts
    desel diego

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If it's working then I'd say there's no reason to change it. Calories seem pretty low to me, especially if you're doing any kind of cardio, but I'm not your coach and I don't know where you started.

You didn't mention fats at all. Where are they at?

apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50) apinian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by red_cat View Post
    If it's working then I'd say there's no reason to change it. Calories seem pretty low to me, especially if you're doing any kind of cardio, but I'm not your coach and I don't know where you started.

You didn't mention fats at all. Where are they at?
    yea its working but i feel like **** on low carb days, calories are low, but i feel like if i keep it at baseline i probably wont be cutting. As far as fats, i dont really count it, the only fats i have is from oats and occasional protein bars. i hear some guys go as low as 30 grams of carbs 2-3 times a week, i dont see how they function this way.
    desel diego

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Part of the reason you feel so bad is that your carbs are in that "no man's land" area of too many to be fat adapted and not enough to keep blood glucose stable. You system is searching for fuel and not finding either ketones or glucose.....the low calories are not helping either. I am your size and rarely dip below 2200-2400 on the lowest days. I would either raise the carbs and keep fats low, or drop the carbs completely and drastically increase fats.
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador

keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10) keramon02 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by apinian View Post
    yea its working but i feel like **** on low carb days, calories are low, but i feel like if i keep it at baseline i probably wont be cutting. As far as fats, i dont really count it, the only fats i have is from oats and occasional protein bars. i hear some guys go as low as 30 grams of carbs 2-3 times a week, i dont see how they function this way.
    You've got it way backwards.

Get a baseline of protein (.8 to 1.2g per lb) and fat (.4 per pound or more, though for brief periods you can go as low as .3 g per pound) then fill the rest with carbs or some other mix of macros.

Don't do an extremely low fat diet unless on gear, refeeding, or it's only for a short period of time...or you just really really know what you're doing.
    "The action required to sustain human life is primarily intellectual: everything man needs has to be discovered by his mind and produced by his effort." -Ayn Rand

Check out my quest to the 2012 MABBA Novice Championships and all the weird siht that goes on in my mind here:

toliftperchancetothink.blogspot.com

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by apinian View Post
    Yikes.

I'd set protein at 210 grams. Your fats are dangerously low and that's probably half of the reason your feel like crap (your body relies on fats to maintain basic hormonal functions). Ideally you would set fats around .45-.5 grams/lb of bodyweight, but that would be an astronomical increase in fats compared to what you've been doing.