16viii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hypoglycemia during keto adaptation

Hi guys, today is my day #10 of keto adaptation. I woke up with 2.3 of blood ketones and glucose at 63. I felt good the whole day except around 3pm, started to feel weak. I got another coffee (3 total) and went to a meeting. When i got back i was kind of hungry but not that much but had a big headache and felt very very weak. I checked my blood sugar and was at 53.

I just ate but still feel very weak, what can i do to make me feel better?

Is it normal to have this drop in the blood sugar or not? and i read it might be due to too much caffeine, what is your experience of it?

Thanks!

alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 16viii View Post
    Hi guys, today is my day #10 of keto adaptation. I woke up with 2.3 of blood ketones and glucose at 63. I felt good the whole day except around 3pm, started to feel weak. I got another coffee (3 total) and went to a meeting. When i got back i was kind of hungry but not that much but had a big headache and felt very very weak. I checked my blood sugar and was at 53.

Is it normal to have this drop in the blood sugar or not? and i read it might be due to too much caffeine, what is your experience of it?

Thanks!
    I replaced my coffee with caffeine pills, its cheap and gets the job done when needed. Oh, and 0 carbs

I went to md to check my blood a few months ago. In morning, fasted i was 47. This was lab work not finger stick* If you are in day 10 of keto adaptation your (i think) your body is in the final stages of adapting to ketosis. It is leaving the old and accustomed way of using glucose as energy and entering the using ketones as energy. I would hold strong and ride it out. Limit coffee to maybe twice per day, i would recommend none if you dont need it. Also, if your used to coffee or stimulants, when you dont give your body the stimulant this gives you a headache and the symptoms you are describing. Might be to much caffeine as well. Got some MCT oil and coconut oil, this will help.

Alex

FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks!
    overload yourself in fats, buy some macadamia nuts or buy some MCT oil.

Other solution is to make bullet proof coffee. Alot of people swear by this in the morning.
    Im pretty sure blood sugar gets really low for anyone in ketosis

alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexg5775 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/k...d-state-part-i

Look at graph towards end of article. Great great ready if you have the time

Originally Posted by alexg5775 View Post
    I replaced my coffee with caffeine pills, its cheap and gets the job done when needed. Oh, and 0 carbs

I went to md to check my blood a few months ago. In morning, fasted i was 47. This was lab work not finger stick* If you are in day 10 of keto adaptation your (i think) your body is in the final stages of adapting to ketosis. It is leaving the old and accustomed way of using glucose as energy and entering the using ketones as energy. I would hold strong and ride it out. Limit coffee to maybe twice per day, i would recommend none if you dont need it. Also, if your used to coffee or stimulants, when you dont give your body the stimulant this gives you a headache and the symptoms you are describing. Might be to much caffeine as well. Got some MCT oil and coconut oil, this will help.

Alex
    Thanks for the feedback! I feel way better day after day but its funny how i can feel great at one point in the day and a few hours later feel like crap again. (the more the days pass, the less frequent). Did you experience these low and highs too?

For the caffeine, I wondered if I should stop, but I looove my black coffee the morning. But I will have to try at one point because i wanna see if i sleep and function better without.

I got 2 tbsp of coconut oil this afternoon before my meeting for work because i felt i would fall asleep, not the best especially when you are freelance like me!

Anyway, quick question though alex, what do you think about eating cheese. I think i might be intolerant,, but i feel like i would have to give up something i really love, and its a hard decision to take. But if it improves my brain fonctions and well being, will do it. WHat do you think?

Somebody told me it make him feel like sh*t everytime he eats it, and my problem is i have no idea if how i feel is because of carb flu or intolerance to cheese ( i thought all my life how i was feeling after a meal - which means pretty much like sh*t all the time because high carbs was normal, so i kind of learn what is normal and not..)

Originally Posted by FAPTROCITY View Post
    overload yourself in fats, buy some macadamia nuts or buy some MCT oil.

Other solution is to make bullet proof coffee. Alot of people swear by this in the morning.
    Im pretty sure blood sugar gets really low for anyone in ketosis
    What is a bullet proof coffee? Sorry i have no idea if i dont know about it because im from france or not!

Look at graph towards end of article. Great great ready if you have the time

I love this website! and graphs and datas too (i might be some kind of a geek ) but do you speak about the graph of the person put to starvation for 40 days?

FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10) FAPTROCITY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I love this website! and graphs and datas too (i might be some kind of a geek ) but do you speak about the graph of the person put to starvation for 40 days?
    cant post link sweetie sorry.

I suggest googling it, any website related to ketosis will have instructions on how to make it.

Originally Posted by FAPTROCITY View Post
    cant post link sweetie sorry.

I suggest googling it, any website related to ketosis will have instructions on how to make it.
    yiiii butter in coffee? I hate butter! Do you drink it yourself?

I tried coconut oil in my coffee the morning, but it makes me feel sick, so i prefer to enjoy my coffee without and then have water and the coconut oil inside, at least it makes me feel sick also, but i can still enjoy my coffee!

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yiiii butter in coffee? I hate butter! Do you drink it yourself?
    Every morning. It's pretty awesome.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Thanks for the feedback! I feel way better day after day but its funny how i can feel great at one point in the day and a few hours later feel like crap again. (the more the days pass, the less frequent). Did you experience these low and highs too?

For the caffeine, I wondered if I should stop, but I looove my black coffee the morning. But I will have to try at one point because i wanna see if i sleep and function better without.

I got 2 tbsp of coconut oil this afternoon before my meeting for work because i felt i would fall asleep, not the best especially when you are freelance like me!

Anyway, quick question though alex, what do you think about eating cheese. I think i might be intolerant,, but i feel like i would have to give up something i really love, and its a hard decision to take. But if it improves my brain fonctions and well being, will do it. WHat do you think?

Somebody told me it make him feel like sh*t everytime he eats it, and my problem is i have no idea if how i feel is because of carb flu or intolerance to cheese ( i thought all my life how i was feeling after a meal - which means pretty much like sh*t all the time because high carbs was normal, so i kind of learn what is normal and not..)

I dont really remember experiencing ups and downs. Maybe i just dont rememeber. Might be the caffeine or might be you are just still in unduction phase. If in real ketosis should be smooth long lasting energy, contrary to carb diets which (for the most part) is known to have more ups in down in terms of energy..

I think you need to figure out if you are intolerant to cheese or not. Stop eating it, see how you feel, then eat it and see how you feel. You can eat cheese on keto diet, just like everything in moderation. I have about a svg of cheese a day. Just make sure it has no or very little carbs, some cheeses do have carbs.

When i first had coconut oil or MCT oil it can cause neasea or upset stomach but this fades over time. It really does help to put some mct oil or coconut oil in just about everything you eat making sure it fits in the macros. Makes induction easier, faster, more ketones produced and more energy, etc. Heres is a quick link on mct oil. It trully is awesome. I get NOW mct oil on amazon.

http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/Ketog...ts/MCT_oil.htm

Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Kiefer address this with a youtube video, his carb nite and carb back loading is keto eating first half of the day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeP8ToTWCOo
    he mentions, easy fix, 2 to 3 fried eggs in butter when you first wake up. or if you don't have an allergy to milk, drink some milk post workout

Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    Every morning. It's pretty awesome.
    Im going to try mct oil in coffee. Too bad I hate butter, it seems like a great way to start the day...!

I dont really remember experiencing ups and downs. Maybe i just dont rememeber. Might be the caffeine or might be you are just still in unduction phase. If in real ketosis should be smooth long lasting energy, contrary to carb diets which (for the most part) is known to have more ups in down in terms of energy..

I think you need to figure out if you are intolerant to cheese or not. Stop eating it, see how you feel, then eat it and see how you feel. You can eat cheese on keto diet, just like everything in moderation. I have about a svg of cheese a day. Just make sure it has no or very little carbs, some cheeses do have carbs.

When i first had coconut oil or MCT oil it can cause neasea or upset stomach but this fades over time. It really does help to put some mct oil or coconut oil in just about everything you eat making sure it fits in the macros. Makes induction easier, faster, more ketones produced and more energy, etc. Heres is a quick link on mct oil. It trully is awesome. I get NOW mct oil on amazon.
    Thanks for the link, I just read it, and Im definitely convince. I tried coconut oil, but I cant stand the smell anymore, I drink it like it would beadisgu\t\ng medi\ati\n i have to drink with water. But I really feel the boost of energy when i drink it! So, im going to buy some MCT from amazon, and try it with my morning coffee!

Today, I went to the gym and did some HIIT (Im just not patient enough to do a gym session for too long, and I love HIIt, it helps me to get the energy out and feel great after), but today, wow, after I was dead! However, I feel also the good stream of energy but its very ups and downs for me right now. I think (hope) it will get better after the induction phase.

I didnt eat cheese today, will do for a week and see how I feel when i reintroduce it, thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Kiefer address this with a youtube video, his carb nite and carb back loading is keto eating first half of the day

he mentions, easy fix, 2 to 3 fried eggs in butter when you first wake up. or if you don't have an allergy to milk, drink some milk post workout
    Thanks for the link, I didnt know this guy! I will try the eggs in mct oil as I hate butter.

I read about carb backloading that it was for more intense trainings like weight or HIIT/HIT, did i understand well? Im not sure i wanna do that even if I wanna keep on doing my HIIT every day. Do you think its possible?

Thanks!

Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for the link, I didnt know this guy! I will try the eggs in mct oil as I hate butter.

I read about carb backloading that it was for more intense trainings like weight or HIIT/HIT, did i understand well? Im not sure i wanna do that even if I wanna keep on doing my HIIT every day. Do you think its possible?

Thanks!
    yes CBL for guys who lift, CN is for more getting leaner, lose weight, which is basically keto 6.5 days, then carb nite, eat hi Glycemic carbs, his reasoning the insulin spike is quck with HI GI carbs and then our GH release at night will come qicker, Kiefer says the lower GI carbs have a longer insulin spike, which woul interfere with GH release when sleep.

jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks!
    This sounds a lot like when I first started true keto. I realized my electrolytes were too low and giving me a lightheaded feeling because my body wasn't retaining any water. I started drinking a lot of powerade zero but try to stay away from artificial sweetners. I use a lot of Mortons lite salt which has sodium, potassium and magnesium and since then I feel amazing and I dont feel like I eat as much at all. I dont think this is a problem with most ketoers because they stick to a lot of prepackaged keto foods but I mainly eat fresh meats and veggies with very low sodium.

Originally Posted by jrharvey5923 View Post
    This sounds a lot like when I first started true keto. I realized my electrolytes were too low and giving me a lightheaded feeling because my body wasn't retaining any water. I started drinking a lot of powerade zero but try to stay away from artificial sweetners. I use a lot of Mortons lite salt which has sodium, potassium and magnesium and since then I feel amazing and I dont feel like I eat as much at all. I dont think this is a problem with most ketoers because they stick to a lot of prepackaged keto foods but I mainly eat fresh meats and veggies with very low sodium.
    Thanks for the electrolytes reminder. This morning I bought a bottle of powerade zero... It was great for the headache, its the first day my mind was really clear of them. BUT... the tase was so sweet, it was too chemical and the worst is that it gave me a f*** craving and I went to buy some atkins bars. I ate 3 in a raw, my brain felt like on drugs... I checked afterwards on internet if these bars were ok, and people say its not low carbs, its a fake 'net carb count' that they advertise and i believe them when i see how i became obsessed by eating more...

The good thing is now i know i need to balance better my electrolytes because this is clearly what caused my headaches and lightheaded feelings. But now i know also I should stay away of sweeteners even if its not sugar. Im mad at myself that i cheated today because its been already almost 2 weeks that i feel like crap and i just made it longer..

I went to run right after, alternate jog and a few sprints. I feel much better now, but still, I hope I wont have to go through everything i went through again, that would really be torture... Sorry for being that dramatic, but this induction phase is really the worst physical state I ever went through in my whole life. I have never been that weak and low mood. Im usually pretty much always ok, by that I mean Im almost never sick (flu and things like that).

Anyway, if anyone has a tip for me to be able to limit the damages i did today, let me know!

Thanks

jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the electrolytes reminder. This morning I bought a bottle of powerade zero... It was great for the headache, its the first day my mind was really clear of them. BUT... the tase was so sweet, it was too chemical and the worst is that it gave me a f*** craving and I went to buy some atkins bars. I ate 3 in a raw, my brain felt like on drugs... I checked afterwards on internet if these bars were ok, and people say its not low carbs, its a fake 'net carb count' that they advertise and i believe them when i see how i became obsessed by eating more...

The good thing is now i know i need to balance better my electrolytes because this is clearly what caused my headaches and lightheaded feelings. But now i know also I should stay away of sweeteners even if its not sugar. Im mad at myself that i cheated today because its been already almost 2 weeks that i feel like crap and i just made it longer..

I went to run right after, alternate jog and a few sprints. I feel much better now, but still, I hope I wont have to go through everything i went through again, that would really be torture... Sorry for being that dramatic, but this induction phase is really the worst physical state I ever went through in my whole life. I have never been that weak and low mood. Im usually pretty much always ok, by that I mean Im almost never sick (flu and things like that).

Anyway, if anyone has a tip for me to be able to limit the damages i did today, let me know!

Thanks
    Give this a try on your food. It helped me a lot.
    Attached Images

Give this a try on your food. It helped me a lot.
    I will, thanks for that!

jrharvey5923: I have to really thank you for pointing that one again, I bought the nuun tabs to make water with electrolytes. It radically changes my experience!

Thanks again!

jrharvey5923: I have to really thank you for pointing that one again, I bought the nuun tabs to make water with electrolytes. It radically changes my experience!

Thanks again!
    No problem. Ive never heard of nuun tabs but Ill try it out. You always here about the negative effects of dehydration but a lot of people don't realize you can become extremely dehydrated even if you drink TONS of water like I did. You need something to help you retain all that water.

No problem. Ive never heard of nuun tabs but Ill try it out. You always here about the negative effects of dehydration but a lot of people don't realize you can become extremely dehydrated even if you drink TONS of water like I did. You need something to help you retain all that water.
    Totally, and I read that sometimes the more you drink, the worst it becomes, because you eliminate all the sodium, potassium etc.. and i drank A LOT.

Here is what NUUN tabs look like, I bought them in the vitamin shoppe:
    I only bought 1 tube to try, and i really like it!
    Attached Images

Totally, and I read that sometimes the more you drink, the worst it becomes, because you eliminate all the sodium, potassium etc.. and i drank A LOT.

Here is what NUUN tabs look like, I bought them in the vitamin shoppe:
    I only bought 1 tube to try, and i really like it!
    Actually Emergen-C - electro mix - seems better as it has 0 carb 0 calories, when nuun has less than 1 carb and 3 cals per tab.

I bought also some of the emergen-c but didnt try yet and just realuzed for the carbs so im gonna go with these instead.

elgranchango has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello, not trying to hijack this thread but since my symptoms are similar I will try with the electrolytes , maybe you have some other advice... this is my 13th day on a low carb diet and I wasn't even able to work out the whole time because of my dizziness and muscular weakness, also feeling sometimes my heart pounding faster and stronger, last night I woke up due to a huge cramp in my calf so now I think I might be missing water and potassium, don't know how I didn't see it before :S. Anyway today I decided to carb myself up and try again 2 more weeks to check if I am able to manage it better, and I bought some mineral water now with sodium and potassium among other things... The sodium content is 4.2mg/l and the potassium is 3.0mg/l my question is if drinking from this water will I flush more than I am getting or not ??. Also today I bought the ketostix and try them out around 6:00 pm (it is around 12:00 around here now) expecting to see no ketosis or traces but I was on the second color, one more than traces, is this normal or is my metabolism some how messed up for all this years of sugar ?.. PS. I have 4 cm less in my belly so a great success so far.