shap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how much weight is too much ???

Hey all ,

I got a question for all knowledgable fitness experts... I am in weight training class in highschool and one of my friends said he was watchin someone try to break the deadlift record by lifting 1700 lbs on TV or something, and the dudes knees and ankles snapped/caved ( another friend has also seen something similar with power cleans)... My weight training class is geared towards strength a lot more than it is towards size, and i have been told i lift a lot on squats and deadlifts for my size.
    So i was wonderin' ... pound/pound , how much is too much on all the core lifts ??? ( i realize im not superman and am not going to attepmt 1700 pounds, but i was wondering if too much weight pound/pound can put and unhealthy level of stress on bones ... because the day after maxing out on my deadlift my collar bones hurt like hell when i laughed) .

all and any help is appreciated , thanx

To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000) To(V) is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Snapping bones? Damn, that's nasty.
    Out of interest, what is (on average of course) the force needed to break a bone? From this I'm sure you can work the maximum weight a bone can handle.
    Hope someone can help.

Tom
    "In times of change the learners inherit the world whereas the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Geoff Hofer

Fear The Day That I Reach 200lbs.

Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In this place NO SUCH THING every one wants to be as big as the Marshmellow man but with muscle and very very cut.
    Last edited by Boxer; 02-22-2002 at 12:50 PM.

dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    theres no such thing!
    It’s right now. It’s hard, fast, and crisp. I’m not dinking around in there. I’m not a ****ing cream puff. I’m a hammer. I’m a lightning bolt.” (Tom Brands - World & Olympic Champion and Assistant Coach U. of Iowa)

Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    told you my man

T-T has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can defenitely snap your bones if too much pressure's applied to it/the muscle attatched. I've seen a video of two arm wrestlers, where one guy had gotten a spiral fracture in his upper arm. Took him something like two years to recover.

As for how much pressure it takes, it really depends on your bone structure. I'd imagine ectomorphs have the weakest bone structures, since they've got the lightest/smallest bone structure.

Either way, I wouldn't really put the poundages into the thousands unless it's *really* needed.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how strong your bones are varies with nutritrion, athletasism, and genetics. Just because you are an ectomorph doesnt mean you got weak bones, im ecto/meso and I got damn strong bones, never broke a bone in my life. I'd have fingers shut in huge garage doors in between the cracks where it folds and it didnt break. It also depends on how it is hit, it doesnt take much to break a bone if you hit it just right, everyone has design flaws in their body, thats why those martial artists will **** you up so bad There is no such thing as a certain amount that is too much. Just keep your form good. That's all you should worry about. At least at this point.

T-T has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    True Mc, it really does depend on genetics/nutrition.

Should've drank that milk as a kid eh.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    haha yeah, I used to drink a gallon per day as like a 5 year old. I was told by my doctor to stop drinking so much milk because it was causing me to produce too much muchous (didnt spell that right). I loved it so much.

SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    are you sure it was your COLLAR bones that hurt and not jsut the muscle around them? cuz i lifted yesterday and it hurts like hell in that area...it feels like my collar bone...but i can tell its just the muscle cuz i can feel when i poke with my finger that, thats whats hurting. lol

but i really wouldnt worry about it unless you are getting into SUPER high weights.

like i watched this one dallas cowboy put up 700 on the bench....now THAT might be enough to hurt your bones....but i think youd need more than that.

Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000)
    here is a little trivia for ya(I am not sure if its true or not)
    It only takes 8 pounds of pressure to crush a human skull.

BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000)
    To answer the ORIGINAL question..........

When you can no longer perfrom the exercise PROPERLY with GOOD form, the weight is too much. (i.e. using your back to help lift during a barbell curl.)
    I feel sorry for all those liars out there.

shap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thnx

thnx bigguns ... (and to all the rest that gave an answer that was useful at all)

BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000) BigGunns is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're welcome. Don't hurt yourself.

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes bump on what biggunss said

lol bump on me again

Trust me I'm super