Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice from home gym and POWER RACK owners.

I've been at this for over a year now, and LOVE feeling healthier and looking better. I have Powerblock dumbbells to 90lbs, and IronMaster bench and spotting stand. I thought I would be set, and those would be enough, but I have been making good gains, and feel that two things are holding me from gaining faster. One, I don't do deadlifts or squats. Yes, I know I can do them with the dumbbells. And second, I can never go to failure. I don't want to ALWAYS go to failure, but doing that sometimes, shows what you actually can do. I have jumped up in weight before, and realized that I could have jumped up earlier, but wasn't going to my full potential cuz I was afraid of failure and having to drop the weights.

By the way, I do NOT have time to join a gym.

Soo, I am thinking of dumping about $1,000 more into my home equipment and think a power rack would be a good idea, with Olympic weights and bar. My question is, can you suggest which one, out of these two?

Valor Athletics Inc. BD - 7 Power Rack with Lat Pull $465

Or

Valor Athletics Inc. BD - 11 Power Rack withOUT Lat Pull $481 (Altho I would still prolly get the Lat pull for another $250

The main difference that I can see, is that the BD-11 is much deeper. Making it easier to do squats and deadlifts. I don't plan to become a power lifter, so will never use HUGE weight. Do you think the extra depth is worth the extra cost?

Also, I am worried about my ironmaster bench. With the lat pull setup in the back, I can't slide the bench back far enough to do inclines. And the way the bench works, declines are on opposite side. I'm not familiar with power racks. Would it be ok to do inclines and seeted military presses from the front supports, facing the back?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Drayken View Post
    I've been at this for over a year now, and LOVE feeling healthier and looking better. I have Powerblock dumbbells to 90lbs, and IronMaster bench and spotting stand. I thought I would be set, and those would be enough, but I have been making good gains, and feel that two things are holding me from gaining faster. One, I don't do deadlifts or squats. Yes, I know I can do them with the dumbbells. And second, I can never go to failure. I don't want to ALWAYS go to failure, but doing that sometimes, shows what you actually can do. I have jumped up in weight before, and realized that I could have jumped up earlier, but wasn't going to my full potential cuz I was afraid of failure and having to drop the weights.

By the way, I do NOT have time to join a gym.

Soo, I am thinking of dumping about $1,000 more into my home equipment and think a power rack would be a good idea, with Olympic weights and bar. My question is, can you suggest which one, out of these two?

Valor Athletics Inc. BD - 7 Power Rack with Lat Pull $465

Or

Valor Athletics Inc. BD - 11 Power Rack withOUT Lat Pull $481 (Altho I would still prolly get the Lat pull for another $250

The main difference that I can see, is that the BD-11 is much deeper. Making it easier to do squats and deadlifts. I don't plan to become a power lifter, so will never use HUGE weight. Do you think the extra depth is worth the extra cost?

Also, I am worried about my ironmaster bench. With the lat pull setup in the back, I can't slide the bench back far enough to do inclines. And the way the bench works, declines are on opposite side. I'm not familiar with power racks. Would it be ok to do inclines and seeted military presses from the front supports, facing the back?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    read the power rack sticky. Valor fitness products are usually not recommended. Look into the body solid gor378 or powertec. Both of those would fit into your price point. Where are you located?

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wouldn't buy anything Valor either, but if you must choose between the two, always opt for the larger tubing. (BD-11) Unless you have limited space, deadlifting shouldn't be a concern. Most people DL outside of the rack. The 46x48" footprint is fine. (aside from your bench possibly not fitting.) If you can't squat inside of 46" uprights, you're doing it wrong.
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drayken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdforsy View Post
    read the power rack sticky. Valor fitness products are usually not recommended. Look into the body solid gor378 or powertec. Both of those would fit into your price point. Where are you located?
    I'm in Ohio, Akron/Canton area. Man, craigs list is SCARCE right now! No racks or even olympic weights for good price. I just noticed the power rack sticky, thx. I am looking into the body solid model you stated, GPR378, no accessory for dips tho . I take it that fitnessfactory is a good place to buy from?

My main limitations are:

-I rather not spend more than 500 for the rack (Willing to dump the extra $100 on the GPR378, but won't be getting the lat pulldown as soon. Plus I plan to buy a separate one anyways)

-My drop ceiling is 82 inches. I am fine with cutting part of it out, to allow the rack to go "up into" it. But my wood beams ar 86 inches. (my basement is finished, but we NEVER use it for anything other than my PC and weights)
    Last edited by Drayken; 08-24-2013 at 08:30 AM.

PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) PhillySteve will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    -My drop ceiling is 82 inches. I am fine with cutting part of it out, to allow the rack to go "up into" it. But my wood beams ar 86 inches. (my basement is finished, but we NEVER use it for anything other than my PC and weights)[/QUOTE]

I have the GPR378. The GPR378 height is mislabeled; it is actually 79" tall. A power rack is one of the most important equipment purchases. Do the research and spend the money here.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm in Ohio, Akron/Canton area.
    www.edgefitnessystems.com in Canton. He'll build you a custom rack starting at about $500.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    edgefitnessystems in Canton. He'll build you a custom rack starting at about $500.
    Wow, I may try to run up there, thx! Altho I think their price is too much for me. $550 with NOTHING on it. Looks like even the safety bars cost extra. Will have to call for more info. Thanks.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow, I may try to run up there, thx! Altho I think their price is too much for me. $550 with NOTHING on it. Looks like even the safety bars cost extra. Will have to call for more info. Thanks.
    Give him a call. He has a 2x2 econo rack that is under $500 and I think is complete. Its not on the site but ive seen pics of it. I'm sure he will work with you to get what you need on budget. The racks come with the basic equipment as far as I know, there is additional costs to upgrade things like safeties.

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Give him a call. He has a 2x2 econo rack that is under $500 and I think is complete. Its not on the site but ive seen pics of it. I'm sure he will work with you to get what you need on budget. The racks come with the basic equipment as far as I know, there is additional costs to upgrade things like safeties.
    So, lets say I can get that 2x2 for that price. You would suggest that, over the Body Solid GPR378 which is 3x3? Sorry, I'm not familiar with all that make these things sturdy and stability, but obviously understand that the 3x3 "should" provide more.

So, lets say I can get that 2x2 for that price. You would suggest that, over the Body Solid GPR378 which is 3x3? Sorry, I'm not familiar with all that make these things sturdy and stability, but obviously understand that the 3x3 "should" provide more.
    I'd only suggest the gpr378 if you had $400 and needed a rack shipped.

TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you don't have to bolt down the gpr378 but you would that 2x2. bear that in mind when choosing a rack. I have the gpr and have no regrets.

I suggest you pair it with the cap OB-86B barbell and whichever plates you want.

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    A good USA welded 2x2 power rack could be better just make sure of the specs.

Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
    you don't have to bolt down the gpr378 but you would that 2x2. bear that in mind when choosing a rack. I have the gpr and have no regrets.

I suggest you pair it with the cap OB-86B barbell and whichever plates you want.
    You don't need to bolt the 2x2 edge rack.

The GPR is a decent import rack with some serious limitations. I suggest avoiding it if you can. That said, I'm yet to see a better $400 rack. Lots of folks on here have them and have been able to work around its design issues.

OP If that's your budget, buy it. If you have a few bucks to spare you can do much better.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 08-24-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks everyone. I think you have not only helped me on this topic, but got me to stick around this site more often. The replies are quick and plentiful. I have waited for days for replies at other sites. I like the activity lvl here. I plan to give them a call and see what they can offer. A call can't hurt, and buying local is always a good thing. If that doesn't pan out, I will be getting the GPR. It is in my budget range, and altho it may have flaws, I'll be honest, I doubt I will need a better one. I am not, nor ever be a power lifter. I want to get stronger, yes, but I am basically a guy who was fat, lost about 75lbs of fat, put on about 10lbs of muscle, and would like to lose another 20lbs of fat, and gain 10lbs more of muscle. I don't want to get too bulky, and won't end up wanting to be a squating or benching hulk. I wanna be a "hey look, that guy must lift.", not, "damn, that guy must live in a gym". LOL.

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks everyone. I think you have not only helped me on this topic, but got me to stick around this site more often. The replies are quick and plentiful. I have waited for days for replies at other sites. I like the activity lvl here. I plan to give them a call and see what they can offer. A call can't hurt, and buying local is always a good thing. If that doesn't pan out, I will be getting the GPR. It is in my budget range, and altho it may have flaws, I'll be honest, I doubt I will need a better one. I am not, nor ever be a power lifter. I want to get stronger, yes, but I am basically a guy who was fat, lost about 75lbs of fat, put on about 10lbs of muscle, and would like to lose another 20lbs of fat, and gain 10lbs more of muscle. I don't want to get too bulky, and won't end up wanting to be a squating or benching hulk. I wanna be a "hey look, that guy must lift.", not, "damn, that guy must live in a gym". LOL.
    I see your point but take it from a pretty novice lifter, once you start to see results, you will be hooked on lifting and you never know how much weight you will progress to lifting. That said, it's better to get the best, strongest, sturdiest equipment you an afford now, so you don't have to upgrade later.

For best results look into a 3x5 or 5x5 program. Also, please don't EVER, EVER say "I don't want to get too bulky". A. This is something ill informed women say when weight training is recommended to them. B. If you choose a good strength training program, and not a hypertrophy program, you will get lean and strong, not big and bulky.
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]