can't spell Lebkuchen liebkuchen's Avatar
    liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10) liebkuchen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Effects of too little protein in diet

About to embark on first proper lifting plan on Monday aiming to build muscle with minimum fat gain. Reading around the subject, seems I'm short on my daily protein intake so will try protein shakes to begin with and see how it goes. In for the long haul. All fine and dandy.

However, looking at my typical eating patterns, until now it appears I've normally only been eating about 50% of my recommended protein amount despite coming from a meat and 2 veg home.

1) Are there any side effects of eating too little protein in your diet? I know that too much can be harmful on your kidneys.

2) If I continued with this deficit when I start my new plan 4 weight sessions a week, 3 cardio (for fun/enjoyment/health), 1 yoga class, 1 pilates class (since I've just started yoga a month ago and love them both) what would be the effect (or lack thereof) if my calorie intake was otherwise bang on?

Ta!
    'It's so easy to say, 'That'll do.' Everyone's in a hurry. People are intellectually lazy, morally lazy, ethically lazy...' Stephen Fry

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by liebkuchen View Post
    1) Are there any side effects of eating too little protein in your diet?
    Yes. Generally poor overall health for one thing.

I know that too much can be harmful on your kidneys.
    Not true for anyone with normally healthy kidney function.

2) If I continued with this deficit when I start my new plan 4 weight sessions a week, 3 cardio (for fun/enjoyment/health), 1 yoga class, 1 pilates class (since I've just started yoga a month ago and love them both) what would be the effect (or lack thereof) if my calorie intake was otherwise bang on?
    As above, general poor health, frequent illness, and certainly no muscle/strength gain.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anthony5649 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You really have to feed your body for it to function at its best. You may get by for a while but it wont be optimal and you'll get partial results.