Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Riva87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Will taking a caloric surplus but doing too much cardio reduce bulking progress?

The title has it all.

Will doing cardio burn protein too? And when it runs out of carbs, fats and proteins take protein from the muscles too?

Baby questions most of you might think they are.

Choc Milk Connoisseur SacramentoZach's Avatar
    SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Riva87 View Post
    The title has it all.

Will doing cardio burn protein too? And when it runs out of carbs, fats and proteins take protein from the muscles too?

If your cardio takes you below you goal surplus, yes it will hinder your progress.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The title has it all.

I also echo Sacramento's opinion. It is true.

Cardio doesn't 'burn' protein btw.

Cardio will burn your muscles if you are eating in a caloric deficit, all depending on steep it is and what program you're using.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can chew faster than I can run, I bet you can to OP. Just track your progress and adjust intake as needed.

If your stamina, energy are tanking a bit, move cardio away from training.

Other than that party on.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000)
    IMO - you wouldn't be in surplus if you are doing "that much" cardio
    everything is fine when you get up by nine
    -----------------------------------------
    today is Tuesday July 1st 2014.
    The weather forecast for Zagreb on Wednesday is sunny 80 degrees with a 100% chance of rock n rolling all night long.

Originally Posted by SacramentoZach View Post
    If your cardio takes you below you goal surplus, yes it will hinder your progress.
    Ah I see. Ty.
    So it's really not easy to gain muscles considerably and lose fat at the same time considerably is it? Yes I guess you can lose fat but anything at an advance level is risky because one would start consuming proteins and muscles if overdone.

One last question from you is, is it advisable to do cardio at all for someone trying to gain and gain? And do advanced body builders refrain from doing cardio during gaining periods and only do cardio during the shedding stages?

I usually workout during the morning before taking breakfast. And after resistance training do about 10 minutes of hiit on the eliptical machine. Works out for about 4-5 days a week. These days I do pre-exaustion on heavy duty. Started hd because my arms aren't growing as much as I would like. Have progress on chest (though I hit a platue on strength), legs and traps. I've noticed that hd is disliked on most forums like a curse but started it anyway since my arms aren't showing much progress. I will stop it if it doesn't work on me.

Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    I also echo Sacramento's opinion. It is true.

Cardio doesn't 'burn' protein btw.

Cardio will burn your muscles if you are eating in a caloric deficit, all depending on steep it is and what program you're using.
    Ah thanks. I thought cardio burns protein once it runs out of carbs. Is it body calories first, fat and then muscles when it comes to cardio? If so i'm probably safe because I'm around 15% body fat. Will doing cardio in the morning eat away the calories the body had, the fat and then the muscles? I'm talking about doing 10 mins of hiit although the op was a question for too much cardio.

RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000) RedeemerZG is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Ah I see. Ty.
    So it's really not easy to gain muscles considerably and lose fat at the same time considerably is it?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

this explains things pretty well... also, you can find calculator on his page...
    but to achieve results - this requires a lot of dedication and experience

bottom line: catch is in caloric cycling through a week
    The weather forecast for Zagreb on Wednesday is sunny 80 degrees with a 100% chance of rock n rolling all night long.

Ah thanks. I thought cardio burns protein once it runs out of carbs. Is it body calories first, fat and then muscles when it comes to cardio? If so i'm probably safe because I'm around 15% body fat. Will doing cardio in the morning eat away the calories the body had, the fat and then the muscles? I'm talking about doing 10 mins of hiit although the op was a question for too much cardio.
    why in the world would body prefer muscle over fat if muscle is being used?
    - if muscle is not being used - than yes - body will eat it, because muscle burns more calories than fat... evolution.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RedeemerZG View Post
    IMO - you wouldn't be in surplus if you are doing "that much" cardio
    lol what? I'm in a surplus daily and doing 2-3 hours worth

why in the world would body prefer muscle over fat if muscle is being used?
    - if muscle is not being used - than yes - body will eat it, because muscle burns more calories than fat... evolution.
    So basically I wouldn't have to worry if I carry enough calories and my fat stores are minimum (maybe less than 5%) and I am using my muscles!? If that is so I guess I don't have to worry too much unless i'm super skinny and running a marathon everyday?

I'm 6 feet and around 80kgs with a body fat level of probably more than 15%. I love doing cardio/hiit/sprinting because I feel so strong/powerful and light when I do it.

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    lol what? I'm in a surplus daily and doing 2-3 hours worth
    Well the op was directed more towards people like you (and not to mine). How would you know you are in a caloric surplus?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well the op was directed more towards people like you (and not to mine). How would you know you are in a caloric surplus?
    by eating more than I would burn

So basically I wouldn't have to worry if I carry enough calories and my fat stores are minimum (maybe less than 5%) and I am using my muscles!? If that is so I guess I don't have to worry too much unless i'm super skinny and running a marathon everyday?
    - IMHO - pro BBs use serious supplements to cut down below 4- 5% and preserve muscle mass

I'm 6 feet and around 80kgs with a body fat level of probably more than 15%. I love doing cardio/hiit/sprinting because I feel so strong/powerful and light when I do it.
    why are you bulking on 15% bf?
    - i'm asking because i have some mental issues around bf% ... so i would really want to know what do other people think about their bf% and look

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    - IMHO - pro BBs use serious supplements to cut down below 4- 5% and preserve muscle mass
    - i'm asking because i have some mental issues around bf% ... so i would really want to know what do other people think about their bf% and look
    Real serious supplements if you know what I mean.

I started at 16% and was bulking.

I went up to 22% at my heaviest.

It's personal preference, and unfortunately, if you were skinny fat like me, cutting is not an option.

Ouch good point. I guess bulking is the wrong word. Bulking = muscles + fat? Well I simply meant gaining muscles. Is that generally considered a bad idea if one has a bf level of more than 15%. You do have a point. There is no point of trying to mass-up if you look out of shape. Shed first and bulk up? Is that the norm.

Ouch good point. I guess bulking is the wrong word. Bulking = muscles + fat? Well I simply meant gaining muscles. Is that generally considered a bad idea if one has a bf level of more than 15%. You do have a point. There is no point of trying to mass-up if you look out of shape. Shed first and bulk up? Is that the norm.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

read it

Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    Real serious supplements if you know what I mean.

I started at 16% and was bulking.

I went up to 22% at my heaviest.

It's personal preference, and unfortunately, if you were skinny fat like me, cutting is not an option.
    Not an option?
    Skinny fat I guess the word I have to use on myself too. The issue here is when skinny fat no matter how much you've gained there is nothing much to show when one takes the shirt off.

If my goals are to gain muscle, lose fat (below 10% - so that I would atleast look lean mean ) would taking supplements and would atleast one of the goals above be futile?

read it
    Haha thanks and I will read it when I get a chance and get back to you.

Not an option?
    Skinny fat I guess the word I have to use on myself too. The issue here is when skinny fat no matter how much you've gained there is nothing much to show when one takes the shirt off.

If my goals are to gain muscle, lose fat (below 10% - so that I would atleast look lean mean ) would taking supplements and would atleast one of the goals above be futile?
    Stop focussing on supplements unless you're talking about steroids, they won't do much

Not an option?
    Wrong. After 8 months of bulking, I feel more confident because I don't only just have a gut, I now have mass on my body too so it proportionate out. Now I'm finally ready to do my first cut to see what it gives me, then I'll rebulk.

Skinny-fatties have no choice but to bulk, cut and bulk.

You cannot simultaneously build muscle and gain fat if you're in a deficit. Taking supplements does not give you any edge on cutting or bulking. They may help you minimally but that's it. Perhaps multi-v, and fish oils would be what I'd look at.

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Stop focussing on supplements unless you're talking about steroids, they won't do much
    i meant on that stuff... but considered not to write it down

read it
    Read it. Thanks that was helpful esp abt the abbs. It has mentioned than gaining and losing at the same time is really hard/to calculate. However it hasn't mentioned whether taking the required calories and doing cardio would (1) provide for the necessary muscle building (2) create a caloric deficit needed to lose excess fat.

I could only assume (1) the protein one takes gets burnt while doing cardio or (2) a carb surplus is also needed significantly for muscle building for the website to have mentioned that it's too hard to do both (build and shed) together.

^ if not why do cardio if one needs to simply gain muscle?

Just eat the correct caloric requirement, do weight training and then do cardio maybe once every 4 months to lose the few pounds of fat gained?

google carb/calorie cycling

try shorter periods of bulking/cutting

2 weeks each ?
    Please stop posting

Nice attempt to get rid of the post lol but I got it

Choc Milk Connoisseur SacramentoZach's Avatar
    SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SacramentoZach has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    google carb/calorie cycling
    I have to disagree here.

It won't have any different effect over eating at an average surplus.

Originally Posted by SacramentoZach View Post
    I have to disagree here.

It won't have any different effect over eating at an average surplus.
    sure thing - if he is in surplus - with or without carbs

what if he tries CKD (for maintainance) ?
    ---

bottom line, what would you recomend him to do?

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sure thing - if he is in surplus - with or without carbs

what if he tries CKD (for maintainance) ?
    ---

bottom line, what would you recomend him to do?
    Anyone who knows what they're talking about will simply suggest meeting macro/micro requirements while meeting calorie targets everyday.

Now please stop encouraging all this carb/calorie cycling nonsense.

Now i'm confused. It would be great if someone can answer my last two posts.

(1)Caloric surplus is all nutrients together and not just proteins? (2)If so there will always have to be an excess calorie intake to build muscle? (3)It's not a good idea to do cardio hoping it would burn calories because it might eat away the calories required to build muscle? (4)Since it's hard to know the perfect intake amount it will be likely that we would take an excess of calories more than what the body requires therefore inevitably gain a few lbs of fat anyway?