Thread: PL or BB?

BITW15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

PL or BB?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm also relatively new to weightlifting, only been training since January. I'm a trainee professional wrestler with extremely high ambitions. I potentially have a WWE trial date set for November 2014 providing I can build my physique to the required level. I'm 6'5'' so the minimum weight I want/have to be is 235lbs. I am currently 205lbs.

You all seem like a knowledgeable and helpful bunch and would just like some more opinions on which style of weightlifting would suit my needs best, power lifting or body building? I seem to enjoy power lifting more, hitting one rep maxes etc, but my lifts have kinda stalled in recent weeks.

I intake 4000 calories a day, however I feel like I should add another 500. I have tried that on a few occasions but seem to be accumulating a little too much body fat. Bear in mind, I've always been one of those naturally skinny, lanky, long-legged guys that has a stupidly fast metabolism.

I think I'm just lacking that guidance and direction that I need to progress further which is obviously frustrating as I'm on quite a strict time deadline. Would appreciate any advice that you have to give. Will look forward to browsing the forums further and hopefully continue to learn!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    6'5 and 205lbs? Is your nickname going to be Beanpole?

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which matters more strength or aesthetics to get your foot in the door?

Power/Olympic lifting worked well for Dough Hepburn to become a professional wrestler. Strongman training would also be very good seeing how you hoist people over your head.

Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    Which matters more strength or aesthetics to get your foot in the door?

Power/Olympic lifting worked well for Dough Hepburn to become a professional wrestler. Strongman training would also be very good seeing how you hoist people over your head.
    I'd say aesthetics. It's crucial to have 'the look' to succeed. But you're right, strength is very much needed too..

Registered User Horsefromhell89's Avatar
    Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Horsefromhell89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think powerlifting in general is a great way to learn the big three lifts. For me I wish I would have started with it, then moved onto something later. Its taught me a lot like being patient and learning form before loading the weight up. Plus who doesn't want to bench, deadlift and squat? Try to find a gym geared towards that (if that's what you want to do). I recently switched gyms and am training at a powerlifting specific gym and I learn a ton every time I go in there.

runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So basically you need about 20 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat over the next year or a lil better. Well then I suggest TTVF. The first two Ts I'm not allowed to discuss on here but the VnF we are so here ya go. You better get on an extremely high Volume training schedule and intake a load of Food. Sirloin steak is gonna become your new best friend along with loads of lean hamburger. Good luck cuz you are gonna need it.

Originally Posted by runtocatch View Post
    So basically you need about 20 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat over the next year or a lil better. Well then I suggest TTVF. The first two Ts I'm not allowed to discuss on here but the VnF we are so here ya go. You better get on an extremely high Volume training schedule and intake a load of Food. Sirloin steak is gonna become your new best friend along with loads of lean hamburger. Good luck cuz you are gonna need it.
    Appreciate this insight, thank you. Still can't work out what the two T's stand for! Is there a specific training schedule and/or diet plan that you recommend?

AKPisMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd alternate both training modes on a weekly or monthly basis. You need to eat your ass off- but make sure you look sharp leading into that trial. WWE is going to want definition with their size requirement. Remember, you need to be marketable to live and TV audiences. Nobody wants to look at a slob unless your personality and demeanor become larger than physique (Mick Foley, Vader, etc.)

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP - Do you like Roll Bread?
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs Thread

"I think most of us would pay good money to be able to fit a whole jar of the greatest thing known to man into our macros on a daily basis." - MikeK46

Originally Posted by AKPisMe View Post
    I'd alternate both training modes on a weekly or monthly basis. You need to eat your ass off- but make sure you look sharp leading into that trial. WWE is going to want definition with their size requirement. Remember, you need to be marketable to live and TV audiences. Nobody wants to look at a slob unless your personality and demeanor become larger than physique (Mick Foley, Vader, etc.)
    You're absolutely right, thank you.

Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Toostrainin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BITW15 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm also relatively new to weightlifting, only been training since January. I'm a trainee professional wrestler with extremely high ambitions. I potentially have a WWE trial date set for November 2014 providing I can build my physique to the required level. I'm 6'5'' so the minimum weight I want/have to be is 235lbs. I am currently 205lbs.

You all seem like a knowledgeable and helpful bunch and would just like some more opinions on which style of weightlifting would suit my needs best, power lifting or body building? I seem to enjoy power lifting more, hitting one rep maxes etc, but my lifts have kinda stalled in recent weeks.

I intake 4000 calories a day, however I feel like I should add another 500. I have tried that on a few occasions but seem to be accumulating a little too much body fat. Bear in mind, I've always been one of those naturally skinny, lanky, long-legged guys that has a stupidly fast metabolism.

I think I'm just lacking that guidance and direction that I need to progress further which is obviously frustrating as I'm on quite a strict time deadline. Would appreciate any advice that you have to give. Will look forward to browsing the forums further and hopefully continue to learn!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
    Novice: Strongman & Powerlifter

www.youtube.com/toostrainin

Stats S/B/D
    500/300/606 @200
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Marcus Aurelius

thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) thej21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hire mark bell from st as your coach, he will teach you the stink bomb, i'm sure. no one gets out of the stink bomb.

Last edited by thej21; 08-21-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Originally Posted by Toostrainin View Post
    Very helpful, thank you. I think I prefer the concept of powerlifting, however I'm adamant that bodybuilding is the way forward for me.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BITW15 View Post

Thanks in advance,

Matt
    Well now its not so much a matter what you enjoy, as to what look you want to portray in your new career path. If you enjoy powerlifting training more than bodybuilding, but they are looking for someone to look like The Rock, you may be forced to deal with the bodybuilding over getting as strong as you can. If they want you to be an Undertaker/Kane type human wall, the aesthetics aren't as important as how imposing your frame looks next to the smaller guys in the ring. This would call for more of a strongman/powerlifting approach to your weight training.

I think your first question should be "What is my wrestling persona" and this will dictate the training direction you go with. You know being a "big slow mountain" the higher body fat bigger frame but tons of muscle look compliments that. If you are going for more of an "energetic catch phrasing audience booster" the muscular but shredding with veins everywhere look compliments that personality a lot better. I don't know if these are even your choices to make or not but thats my opinion on how you should base your training.