boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

dumbbell handles vs the adjustables

For home gym use since theres not too much room and money is tight what would you recommend I saw olympic db handles max weight 150lbs for $48 bucks online or $28 eatch at academy, or theres the brands like powerblock or bowflex that cost around 300+ and go up to 100lbs

my question is how are these too compared? Can both be droped on matts and not be damaged from failure sets at bench height (flyes, incline decline etc)?
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We made it all the way to mid-week this time before the inevitable adjustable dumbbells thread came along. Yippee!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do a search. Adjustable dumbbells are discussed a lot here. I doubt that anything new will be said with yet another discussion.

Here's a good place to start...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117628551
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I can give you my opinion. I did research this a few years ago here and the general opinion was to go with a Pro set, so I did.... I had a large pro style set, then I down sized to a smaller set (12-75). The problem with them for me was the room they took up, as I only have a 9ft x 12ft work out area. I sold all the fixed dumbbells and started using handles and standard plates. I found that with a few sets of handles I can make up pretty much anything I need . If I want to do drop sets etc. its not been a problem. I found that most of the time the few minutes rest between sets is plenty of time to adjust weight even if I just use one set of handles. I also have a lot of quality collars. My favorite collars for the 1-1/16th handles are Ivanko CL1/4. I don't currently have any 1-1/16th handles though. The same collars on 1" bars sort of munch the spring and I wasn't sure if it would ruin them over time so I started using plain single split shaft collars for the 1" stuff. The industrial shaft collars are thinner and the grip when tightened up is very safe. A secure dumbbell is really the most important thing as smashing loose plates into the face would probably be bad.

Here are a few blurbs of what I do use now. Other peoples options will vary. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155725083 I still use the Hampton set too. The very sloppy fit sucks, but I still do like the feel of the grip. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155421093
    Last edited by donforeman; 08-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.

srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had both bowflex and powerblock adjustable dumbell. I loved the powerblock for the grip and loved the bowflex for the easier selection of pounds. But both of them cant really be drop on mat.. I recommend you using fixed dumbell for dropping. And dumbell bar with good collar can be a option but i wouldnt put high load doing any vertical raise with it.

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by srgess View Post
    . And dumbell bar with good collar can be a option but i wouldnt put high load doing any vertical raise with it.
    Depending on what you're calling a "good collar" your fear maybe completely unfounded. Regular collars can loosen just by snagging them on clothing etc. The Industrial split shaft collars don't move when tightened with a wrench. Test them yourself if it worries you. I loaded 300lbs on one end of a standard barbell then turned it vertical and jumped on it. You can find similar collar tests on YouTube. There are several types of shaft collars so be sure that you look at the single split style as it clamps the whole bar, not just driving a single set screw into place.
    Last edited by donforeman; 08-21-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srgess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    Depending on what you're calling a "good collar" your fear maybe completely unfounded. Regular collars can loosen just by snagging them on clothing etc. The Industrial split shaft collars don't move when tightened with a wrench. Test them yourself if it worries you. I loaded 300lbs on one end of a standard barbell then turned it vertical and jumped on it. You can find similar collar tests on YouTube. There are several types of shaft collars so be sure that you look at the single split style as it clamps the whole bar, not just driving a single set screw into place.
    Agreed but if you are going to drop the dumbell the impact of it, drop in certain angle will at long loose the collar or brake it. I use myself cutted spring collar and do vertical raise without problem ( not using heavy plate there ) Save me money over having a big set of dumbell.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    THe only decent adjustable DB's that can really handle being dropped are Ironmasters. If you are looking to save money, standard plates with spinlock handles aren't a bad way to go. If you would damage a handle due to dropping, they are easy enough to replace.

I would avoid Bowflex under any circumstance, as they seem to be pretty fragile. Powerblocks are better made, and you can change the weight a lot faster, but you really can't drop them either.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Do a search. Adjustable dumbbells are discussed a lot here. I doubt that anything new will be said with yet another discussion.

Here's a good place to start...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117628551
    i read those and nothing on them talked about being able to drop them or the longevity of them if used with 70% towards max weight on db's

Agreed but if you are going to drop the dumbell the impact of it, drop in certain angle will at long loose the collar or brake it. I use myself cutted spring collar and do vertical raise without problem ( not using heavy plate there ) Save me money over having a big set of dumbell.
    Even on stall matts from bench height you think that impact is enough to damage them?

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    THe only decent adjustable DB's that can really handle being dropped are Ironmasters. If you are looking to save money, standard plates with spinlock handles aren't a bad way to go. If you would damage a handle due to dropping, they are easy enough to replace.

I would avoid Bowflex under any circumstance, as they seem to be pretty fragile. Powerblocks are better made, and you can change the weight a lot faster, but you really can't drop them either.
    the thing i was worried about with bowflex ones were that after a year or so and the few sets theyd be dropped is that if it would become lose and it affecting the interchanging of weight...
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

The problems you are mentioning do happen with your spring collars. Do yourself a favor and don't use those. There are MUCH MUCH better ways to secure the weight than with the spring collar. The spring collar being just about the worst!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    i read those and nothing on them talked about being able to drop them or the longevity of them if used with 70% towards max weight on db's
    Do you mean "used" or do you mean "dropped". If you're in the habit of dropping dumbbells, this is a habit you should break. Dropping dumbbells is not good for them nor for the floor nor anything else they happen to collide with.

You should read the manufacturer's warranty for each dumbbell system of interest.

I've looked over the Powerblock warranty; my recollection is that they warranty them for drops of up to one foot for the better dumbbells they sell and significantly less than that for the lower end models. If you're in the habit of dropping dumbbells a lot, this might be considered abuse in which case the warranty might not apply.

My recollection is that Ironmaster has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser and that they permit drops from any reasonable height.

I haven't looked at the Bowflex warranty. You're best avoid these anyway, especially if you think you might drop them on occasion.

Dumbbells made with separate plates and handles might be droppable depending upon the collar you choose to use. But again, you should read the warranty as this will contain valuable clues about whether the manufacturer thinks this is a reasonable thing to do or not.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My recollection is that Ironmaster has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser and that they permit drops from any reasonable height.
    Ironmaster does offer a lifetime warranty and permits dropping. I "drop" mine from below bench height (more of a quick set down I guess) during heavy bench days and they seem to hold up great.

Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    The problems you are mentioning do happen with your spring collars. Do yourself a favor and don't use those. There are MUCH MUCH better ways to secure the weight than with the spring collar. The spring collar being just about the worst!
    ya i havent liked those in a while since i got lock jaw collars they save time

Do you mean "used" or do you mean "dropped". If you're in the habit of dropping dumbbells, this is a habit you should break. Dropping dumbbells is not good for them nor for the floor nor anything else they happen to collide with.

You should read the manufacturer's warranty for each dumbbell system of interest.

I've looked over the Powerblock warranty; my recollection is that they warranty them for drops of up to one foot for the better dumbbells they sell and significantly less than that for the lower end models. If you're in the habit of dropping dumbbells a lot, this might be considered abuse in which case the warranty might not apply.

I haven't looked at the Bowflex warranty. You're best avoid these anyway, especially if you think you might drop them on occasion.

Dumbbells made with separate plates and handles might be droppable depending upon the collar you choose to use. But again, you should read the warranty as this will contain valuable clues about whether the manufacturer thinks this is a reasonable thing to do or not.
    i was referring to new dumbbell handles but if i used 70% of max 100lbs on db handles and slowly dropped it then if it would brake or damage the handle itself. Thanks for the info on the warranties that is what i started looking into now because last thing i need is to be lifting and half a dumbbell fall on top of me, only saying this cuz at daves gym here a guy was doing db bench and out of no where the plates landed on his jaw...YAAAA not a good day for him or the owner.....

which is why im being cheap right now cuz im waiting for this gym to get shutdown and have everything auctioned off it'll be like xmas for me haha
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fastsupra24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the Bowflex Select tech adjustable barbells and they have pros and cons. I have a home gym so space is a concern. I use them all the time, I think their great. Downside is you can't or I should say you shouldn't just drop them on the floor even if matted. You have to put them on the floor but not drop. This is my second pair because the first ones I would drop after doing a hard set. The gear which clicks the weight plates ended up not clicking because the plates were sometimes loose on the barbell. So, if you normally drop weights than this isn't for you.

Thanks for the advice thats exactly what i was wondering. Ya i dont normally drop them just on the last sets I try to push it and sometime cant do it in the most controlled manor but its not crazy either...i didnt want to get those new and they consider it abuse but then if i get a used set for cheap atleast i know what to look for
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI