Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    anonymous

Talking Don't worry Bernice, she'll grow out of it

I've never done a journal in my life, so chalk this up to yet another new experience in a long, long line of new adventures. I have decided to share my weight-training journey because....well, I am a woman of "a certain age" (ok, 61, if you must know), and I think my experiences might be helpful to others in the same boat. I got on the weight training express because of a moment.....looking at my wonderful little mom, who is now very fragile, tiny and stooped over from lack of muscle and proper exercise (she walks MILES, very healthy, but never eats enough, never lifted a weight...ever), and I thought, if there is a way to delay/avoid that, then I am going to do whatever it takes.

Some background: you can always look at my bodyspace and see the stats, but I am now 61, 5'4", presently weight in at 116 lbs (yay, I've gained!), take no meds, have been a dancer/runner/work-out cadio fanatic for most of my life. I don't sit still very well, and I was not an attractive child (skinny, frizzy hair, very shy - hence the title of this journal - gotta love the relatives!). I crave activity, so my job is very physical - massage therapy, laser hair removal (that machine is heavy!), and I need to be strong in order to work.

Post-menopausal issues for me have more to do with skin issues - ladies, sorry but you WILL have to deal with lost of elasticity/sagging skin if you get too thin, other not-so-nice issues if you are too heavy.....it stinks, but there you go. The reality of getting older necessitates, well.....a reality check. Even if in my mind I am 35, my body has a nasty way reminding me otherwise - no more running, for one thing, and any jumpy kind of cardio (Zumba, kick-boxing, etc) is totally out of the question! sigh.......What's a woman to do?

Well, look at all of those interesting weights - barbells, dumbbells (no, not the people....well, maybe some of them?), Smith machines, leg presses, hack squats (what?!?)....I needed a new direction! A friend, who is a competitor, has the body I would love to achieve, and I jokingly asked one day how to do just that (thinking, of course, she would throw a couple of exercises my way, maybe diet advice - hahahahahahah!!!! What did I know, right?!)

Well, 4+ months later, I am training with heavy (for me, anyway) weights, right there, in the testosterone pit, with the BIG guys! Thankfully, they ignore me.......I am eating more (clean) food than I have ever eaten in my adult life (except when I was pregnant, but that doesn't count, right?), I am gaining some little baby muscles (sloooooooowwwwly) and really changing the shape of my body - what fun!!

Now what? I need a goal - and it has been suggested to me by several people, that I should compete. I don't think I am anywhere near being ready, but I will let you all be the judges. My pre/post pics so far are on my bodyspace, but tomorrow we are using calipers to measure my bodyfat (stupid impedance scale!), taking new pic and measurements. I will post them ASAP.

In the meantime, thank you for reading this, comments are welcome, and rest assured, I have absolutely no intentions of ever "growing out of it"!!! Ciao, y'all

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey there, fellow post-menopausal weightlifting massage therapist. I'll be following
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

anonymous
    Originally Posted by dreahere View Post
    Hey there, fellow post-menopausal weightlifting massage therapist. I'll be following
    Hi Drea: saw your journal and read as well - welcome to my world, lol! I will try to post regularly - just updated my stats, but my current pics won't load (damn IPhone!). As soon as I get my technology fixed, pics will be up

anonymous
    Sorry I haven't posted a new entry in a few days - life certainly gets in the way! However, new progress pics are below (if I have done things correctly), and I have posted new stats in my bodyspace as well. It's nice to have a more accurate BF% reading - I couldn't seriously believe that it was that high!
    More organized about charting my workouts, too. I don't really follow a set plan, but try to do set areas 2x a week - ie, legs, chest/arms, back/abs, mostly compound exercises, 4 sets, some in ascending order of weight. I seem to be tweaking this every once in a while, adding a different exercised occasionally so my muscles don't get.....complacent? lol!

Will be visiting family in California soon - so that means...........WINE and sourdough bread! The food is soooo good out there, my diet will definitely be going by the way side. On the other hand, I have found a privately-owned gym nearby that I will be using, so I won't be a total slug while I am out there. Strange, there are no LA Fitness gyms in Norther California?!

Let's see if I can post my pics:
    Attached Images

anonymous
    Aaaah, pics posted - sideways!? The story of my life, lol. Can't seem to fix it either.....oh well.

This is going to be a crazy week - working on as many private massage clients as possible, banking money since I will be on vacation for a week. The joy of being self-employed!

Did legs today - my favorite body part(s) to work. I used to dance, a million years ago (roughly the Pleistocene era?), and my legs/glutes were soooo muscular and strong. I HATED the way they looked, because I wanted to look like the skinny, airey-fairy anorectics that were so prevalent back then - how stupid, right? I am hoping dim (very dim) muscle memory will bring some of that muscularity back......well, that and a LOT of heavy weight!

I change the types of workouts I do slightly every time I go to the gym. I have a very tweaky back, and my knees complain a lot too, to I can't really do intense sets of lunges or squats. So this was today's schedule:

15 minutes cardio on treadmill, just to warm up
    Stretch

Glute machine 50 lbs x 15, 62.5x15, 70 x 15, 15, 15
    Leg Press 90 x 15, 15, 110 x 12, 12, 12
    Ham curls 30 x 15, 50 x 10, 10, 10
    Leg Extension 50 x 12, 12, 55 x 10, 10, 70 x 9
    SL Deadlifts 60 x 12, 12, 70 x 10, 10, 10
    Calf raise My body weight, doing the classic ballet releve, 20, 20, 20 (hey, it worked back in the day!)

I have had a hard time hitting my macros - I just can't seem to scarf down 2200 calories (2000 plus 10%) every day....sigh. And I love to eat!

I have had to give up yoga for two months - the extreme forward bending in typical Ashtanga/vinyasa style class is causing some very painful issues in my spine. Not happy.....not happy about this at all! But, I got to do what I got to do, and hopefully, my back will get stronger and I will have less pain.

On a good note, a trainer friend said I could be ready for Bikini comp in the Florida Gold Cup on Nov. 16......I still haven't committed, but I am seriously entertaining the ideas. Going to see the Ruby Classic on Sept. 28 and see what it's all about.

Monday is coming fast! Time for bed - good night

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aw, only two of your pictures are sideways. You look great!

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do not beleive for one minute that you are 61!! You can't possibly be a day over 30!

suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50) suzyschnitz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whoa. Good things are going to happen in here. You look great.
    Move along. Nothing to see here.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156234363

Instagram: suzyschnitz

anonymous
    Good morning world! I am back from vacation, with only 2 lbs. of bloat and a sinus infection - not too shabby, considering I ate my way through Norther California, lol! I did train every day - found a great family-owned gym in Sacramento, not too far from where I was staying, all kinds of equipment, very mellow atmosphere, mostly older crowd, and only $25 for 2 week pass - what's not to love, right!?

I think the daily workout while on vacay saved me from too much damage in the diet department - you simply cannot NOT eat the great food available out there - Farmer's Markets abound, with wonderful fresh fruit/vegs, fresh-caught seafood from the Pacific Northwest, grass-fed beef.....sigh, I could go on and on ......what's interesting is that I never hit my calories for the day, but I was eating all the wrong things, so I did put on a couple of pounds, but now that I am back on schedule, that should take care of itself shortly.

Did legs last night - a little difficult, since I can't breathe very well from the sinus thing, but I finished out and even added about 10% to some of my sets. This is what I did last night:

15 min. cardio/stretch ( I am very stiff from traveling)

Glute machine 37.5 x 15, 67.5 x 12, 13, 12, 12
    Leg Extension 30 x 15, 50 x 10, 10, 70 x 10, 10
    Glute Bridge 60 x 15, 15, 70 x 15, 13
    Leg Press 90 x 10, 110 x 10, 10, 10 (last set was tough)
    Straight leg deadlift 60 x 10, 70 x 10, 10, 10
    cool down and stretch

I am SORE today! But in a good way - thanks for the positive props, ladies. Yes, I really am 61 - wish it wasn't so, but it is, lol! I want to see what can be done with a body at this point in life, so the journey should be interesting. Still on the fence about competing - will have a better idea later this month.
    ciao for now

anonymous
    Good morning! It's going to be a long work day, so no gym for me tonight. Dealing with arthritis flare-up for the last 3 weeks, although vacation time did help tremendously, but now it's back to the grind. Let's see how those joints deal with it....

Worked on my back at the gym last night - I am still so surprised at how much I look forward to being there. Although last night was particularly frustrating - very crowded, even at 8 pm, and lots of waiting for machines and weights. I admit, I got a little spoiled at the gym in Sacramento - multiples of everything, never too crowded, very friendly group......sigh. LA Fitness is, well......LA Fitness. 'Nuff said.

And here is what I did last night:

15" cardio/ and stretching

Lat Pulldown 55 x 15, 65 x 10, 70 x 10, 75 x 10
    Dumbbell Rows 30 x 10, 35 x 8, 8, 10, 45 x 5 (that last was for fun, I think, lol)
    Low Row 50 x 15, 60 x 12, 70 x 10, 10
    Assisted Pull up 40lb x 8, 8, 8, Fail!
    Iso Front Lat Pull Down 45lb plates x 8, 8, 8, 8
    Barbell Row 70 x 8, 8, 8, 8,

stretch, and then.............collapse! I am still not getting my calories in, but I am definitely back on the clean eating plan - vacation did a number on my weight/bloat, lol!

Will need to measure and post new progress pics shortly. Remember, today is a good day to say a prayer, meditate, hug a loved one or do a good deed. Have a wonderful day!

anonymous
    Wednesday rest day did me good - I felt more energy, and really looked forward to working arms/chest/shoulders tonight. Working in a cosmetic/health/wellness center definitely has its perks - got some amino acids to try out, and a really good chondroitin supplement for my achey bits - I am not a pill taker, so this will be an interesting experiment, lol!

Still not really sure about competing in November - I want to give my very best, and even though I see great improvement in my body (actually LOVE the way it looks right now!), I just don't think it will stand up very well against more seasoned competitors. I will be attending the Ruby Classic at the end of the month to see what it's all about - then, it's decision making time!

So......(drumroll!) this is what I did tonight:

15" cardio (treadmill), and then some serious stretching - I am getting increasingly less flexible with all this weight training, got to keep a good ROM for healthy joints when I get older (whenever THAT is, lol!)
    Pec Fly 25 x 15, 30 x 15, 40 x 10, 10
    Rear Deltoid fly 25, x 15, 15, 40 x 10, 10
    Triceps OH DB 25, x 15, 15, 30, x 10, 10 (last set was killer)
    Skull Crusher 20 lb DB x 8, 8, 8, 8 (another killer - I am so weak!)
    BB Curls 20 x 15, 10,10,10
    BB Upright Row 20 x 15,15,15,15
    Incline BP 25lb plates x 8, 8, 8, 6 (whew!)
    More insane stretching and handstand practice. This last is a yoga hold-over. All of us have a particular exercise or, in the case of yoga, pose that is our nemesis. For me, handstands have been a royal pain in the *ss! Every time I work out, I end with at least 3 attempts at handstand. I am usually upside-down, legs flailing in the air, body crashing to earth with the only injury to my pride (although I did actually break my big toe a couple of years ago, doing this same thing - not one of my most stellar moments, and that broken toe REALLY hurt!). Lately, I am able to kick up and........STAY UP! My upper body strength has helped me maintain my balance and core stability - this is so cool!!!! Can't wait to see how I do in aerial trapeze this season - oh, did I forget to mention that I am addicted to flying on a trapeze?! One day I will grow up and run away to the circus, lol!
    Time for bed - sweet dreams, y'all

anonymous
    TGIF! Well, sort of......I still have to work tomorrow, but only half a day, so it seems like a day off...aaaaannnnd, I will be joining some of my friends to see Maroon 5 (and the ever-so-ripped and tatted Adam Levine!) and Kelly Clarkson tomorrow night. I love concerts, this one should be great, and yes, there will be BEER AND BAD FOOD involved!! I will plan my diet accordingly.

You see, at my advanced age I have discovered a few things....one being that we ALL have an expiration date. So sad, but true. And if you haven't done the things you have always wished, or said, that you wanted to try, well time is running out. I have also learned that, truly, there are very few things that are "life and death" in life, and we all know what those things are. While I strive to always learn, always do my best, always keep my nose to the proverbial grindstone, yada, yada, yada.... I will always have FUN. I will never shirk responsibilities, but if I have the chance to do something I consider fun, be it trapeze, weight-lifting, travel, concerts, theater, learning or doing something exciting or new, I'm IN! Sure, I want to try a competition, but it's not a life or death proposition - I simply cannot take myself that seriously, lol! So to the concert I go, beer I will drink, bad food I will eat - and I will not experience one iota of guilt or bad feelings at all. That crazy diet will still be on the boards, I will get back on the wagon and keep refining this old bod.

Keeping that in mind, I did work my legs tonight - an may be walking funny tomorrow
    This is what I did:

15" cardio and lots of stretching (again)
    Glute Raise machine 62.5 x 15, 75 x 10, 12, 12
    Leg Press 90 x 15, 110 x 10, 10, 10
    Leg Extension 50 x 12, 60 x 10, 70 x 8, 8
    SL Dead Lift 60 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    Glute Bridge (the crazy one with shoulders on bench) 50 BB x 10, 10, 10, 10 This one kills!
    I wanted to do more, but honestly, my legs were fried, so I stretched and did my handstands. Another rockin' Friday night awaits to do laundry, and up early for work.
    Have a good one - Ciao!

I refuse to believe that anyone anywhere EVER thought on their deathbed, "geez, if only I had dieted a few more weeks and lost five more pounds..."

Have a great time at the concert!

anonymous
    I refuse to believe that anyone anywhere EVER thought on their deathbed, "geez, if only I had dieted a few more weeks and lost five more pounds..."

Have a great time at the concert!
    Drea - you are soo right! Concert was great, we were all extremely hot and sweaty (it IS S. Florida, after all), a lot of beer and junk food consumed! I love my friends

anonymous
    So, I have been a busy girl - work has been crazy and my hands are killing me. If I don't take it easy, my career as a massage therapist will be over as well. Have been doing contrast therapy on hands - for those of you who have tennis/golfer's elbow, submersion in ice bath for 2 minutes, then hot water for 2 minutes, repeat 3 times. Painful in the ice bath, but very effective in reducing inflammation and speeding healing.

Sunday after the concert, like a crazy person, I worked out in the morning, and did the (stormy) beach in the afternoon. This was the game plan for Back:

15 minutes cardio
    Lat Pull-down 65 x 15, 15, 70 x 12, 12, 75x 10
    Dumbbell Rows 35 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 40 x 8 (yikes!)
    Pull-up (assisted) 40lbs assist x 8, 8, 8, 8
    Iso Front Lat row 90 x 10, 10, 10, 110 x 8, 8

and then I collapsed, stretched and went home to die.

I was so wiped out from concert hi-jinks and training on Sunday, I took Monday off from gym and went to bed early - just can't do that "stay up til all hours thing" anymore, lol!

Tuesday wasn't such a heavy work day, so I trained LEGS!!! My favorite area to train

20 min. cardio and lots of stretching (more cardio to get rid of concert bloat, hah!)
    Leg Extension 60 x 15, 70 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    Leg Press 90 x 15, 110 x 12, 12, 12
    Romanian Split Squat 20 lb db each hand x 8, 8, 8, fail
    Glute machine 62.5 x 15, 75, 12, 12, 12, 12
    Romanian Dead Lift 70, x 10, 10, 10 10
    LOTS of stretching

Wednesday was a HEAVY massage/laser day - no gym, too tired and glutes were crippled from the new exercises I did (those Romanians are crazy!)

Today, glutes and hammies are STILL sore, but I am walking - right into the gym, where I worked back and chest tonight.
    Cardio 15"
    Lat Pull Down 65 x 15, 70 x 15, 15, 75 x 10
    Dumbbell Rows 35 x 10, 10, 10, 40 x 8
    Machine Row 70 x 10, 10, 80 x 8, 8
    Pec Dec 30, x 15, 40, x 12, 45 x 10, 10
    Pull-ups 40lbs assist, x 10, 10, 10, fail
    Iso front Lat Row 90, x 10, 10, 110 x 8, 8
    Dumbbell press 20 lbs each hand x 8, 10, 10, 10

Stretch, stretch, stretch and 3 handstands (staying away from the wall for a much longer time - yay!)

Still staying at around 2000 - 2200 calories a day, 40-30-30 split. Not drinking enough water, and it's a struggle to get the calories in. Time to listen to the rain and watch Ray Donavon (dvr'd). Keep lifting my friends, and HAVE FUN!!

anonymous
    Last night's work out was my least favorite - arms/shoulders. Don't know why, but I just get bored with them, even though they are looking better every day. Oh well... did them anyway. I have to work all day, then go to a work seminar this evening in Ft. Lauderdale - at least cocktails will be served, but certainly not the way I would prefer to spend a Saturday night, lol! Education is important in any line of work though, so I will make the best of it.
    I think I will pass on the November competition, but will be there to support my friend. I want to compete when I feel I am at my best, and at this stage, after only seriously training/dieting since April, I have a long way to go.
    Will be taking some new pics and posting - in the meantime, have a wonderful weekend - Ciao!

anonymous
    Ah, Monday - no work til 2:00 this afternoon, normally would be playing at the beach, but many errands, laundry and house cleaning take precedence. Even had to hit the gym at the crack of dawn ( for me, at any rate!), 7:30 am!! My air conditioning is acting up, something that you DON'T want happening this time of year in S. Florida - it's even hotter and steamier in September than August. Have a friend in the biz, he and wife will come over tonight after work to check it out - she and I will bond, he will work - sounds like a plan, right?

I am trying new things in my training, trying to mix things up to keep me (and my body) from being bored. Did some research on Pendlay Rows, and since I really want to strengthen and enlarge my back, I gave it a whirl today, using the Smith machine. Worked out better than I thought, and my back feels ok, so these will definitely stay on the list for now. I have been increasing my weight on everything, by at least 5 lbs, and it is certainly making me feel the DOMS! I have also succumbed to the weight-lifting gloves....I really think they are a little dorky, but the other day I almost ripped the skin off the palm of my hands, and the calluses are getting out of hand, sooooo......
    And I like them! They make grabbing the weight a LOT easier, less stress on my hands ( and skin!), and I feel like I handle the weight much better. So they make be dorky, but I will wear them

Time for work ( and more errands) - Y'all have a fabulous day

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Love your attitude in here, girl Yay for gloves. I just wish they made them with longer finger tips....I have calloused in the crooks of my fingers where the glove doesn't cover. Oh well, the price you gotta pay, right?? LOL!

anonymous
    Originally Posted by ms_mac View Post
    Love your attitude in here, girl Yay for gloves. I just wish they made them with longer finger tips....I have calloused in the crooks of my fingers where the glove doesn't cover. Oh well, the price you gotta pay, right?? LOL!
    Maybe the bike racing gloves have longer fingers? I haven't gotten the "crook of the finger" callus yet, but I am sure it's lurking, lol! I really like the gloves, particularly on a night like tonight - it was all about arms, so I was using a lot of free weights, and I get a much better grip, especially since I can't use my thumbs to grip anymore.

anonymous
    Oh, I SO wanted to bail on the gym tonight!! Started work at 9 am - all laser, all morning, then a short lunch break, and 8.... yes, 8 massages this afternoon/evening!!! And tonight was arm/shoulder/chest workout.......sigh. But, I dragged my tired buns to the gym, did 15 minutes on the treadmill to wake me up, and commenced to lift. And actually felt much better after! That's the nice thing about working out - even when you don't want to do it, but you MAKE yourself (usually very grumpily) do it, you end up being very happy that you didn't skip.

This was a week of "cleaning house" - both physically and emotionally. I have only lived in this condo for a year, but my dust bunnies were propagating like......bunnies! I don't know where all the fuzz and dust comes from, but I needed to do some deep cleaning. And then I really needed to make some decisions to clean up my life, socially and work-wise. I had the opportunity to add another part-time job at a country club this season - worked there last year, made lots of money.......and almost killed myself from exhaustion. I am really busy at my other jobs, and need to have some free time for private clients and....well, a social life! I was actually dreading working at the country club, so I let them know I couldn't do this season - and I felt soooo good afterwards. I truly believe that the universe sends us what we need - the extra money will come when I need it, and I certainly don't need to work myself to exhaustion in order to get it.
    Also let go of a "dead end" sort of relationship - it was going no where, and I didn't enjoy it, so why hang on? Felt real good about that decision, too.

My workout tonight:

15 minutes cardio
    Triceps Overhead press 30 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    Skull Crushers 20 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    DB Overhead Press 20 x 8, 8, 8, 8,
    BB Row 30 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    Pec Fly 40 x 15, 45 x 10, 10, 10
    Hammer curls 10 x 15, 15, 15
    Lateral Raise 10 x 10, 10, 10
    Front Raise 10 x 15, 15, 15
    Triceps extension 10 x 15, 15, 15

Stretch, stretch, stretch - and the handstands are getting easier! Now if I could only get my eating sorted out - still can't get the calorie/macro ratios right - oh well.
    Time for bed - Later!!

Wow, I can't believe you can do 8 massages in a row. Five is about my limit before I run out of mental energy and just want people OFF my table

anonymous
    Wow, I can't believe you can do 8 massages in a row. Five is about my limit before I run out of mental energy and just want people OFF my table
    I hear ya - I was totally drained when I left the office last night! Training at the gym sort of lifted me up out of the post-massage funk, so I was really happy that I didn't skip out, although the temptation was overwhelming, lol! No massages today, just light laser work - yay!

anonymous
    Btw, love your blog! Especially the one about Americans and lack of exercise - working at a cosmetic/health and wellness facility, I hear ALL the excuses. Everyone wants the magic "fairy dust" that gives them a lean, fit body - without all of that nasty effort that goes into achieving said body. Oh well......keeps us in business. But it's soooo hard not to scream in their faces, "it's DIET AND EXERCISE, people - not rocket science!!!!"

anonymous
    Yesterday was a rest day - I have found that 2 intense workout days necessitate a third day of rest for me - recovery is a lot slower when you are older, despite the fact that your head says you are only 35!! Rest means play for me, but first I attended the preliminary judging for the Ruby Classic with my friend, who will be competing in the Florida Gold Cup on Nov. 16. I have been playing around with the idea of competing in the same event, but have since decided that I am not ready, either mentally or physically. Sooooo glad I made that decision, btw - even if I will be in the Masters or Open Masters division, the competition will be at least 10 years younger than me - they look amazing!! I definitely need more work

Still, the whole process of preliminary judging was interesting, to say the least. Sadly, the event was poorly organized, so competitors and audience spent about 2 hours doing nothing - grrrrrr! When they finally got the ball rolling, it went by fairly quickly. And I can see why potential competitors (like me) are often told NOT to compete until really, really READY! It's almost painful to watch a competitor who is not up to snuff trying to out-do those who have very obviously put in the time and effort to bring on their best. I wish I could have gone to the main event in the evening, but I had planned some serious playtime with friends, lol.

Off to Miami, to meet my yoga girls and celebrate a birthday. We have made something of a tradition to celebrate birthdays at the Russian-Turkish Baths in Miami Beach, then dinner somewhere cool in South Beach. Just what the doctor ordered for me - I am seriously ache-y all over from training and massaging so many clients. Spent the afternoon in salt water jacuzzi, hammam, sauna, ice plunge, Swedish hydro massage, rain shower room, polar room, infra-red sauna....that place is fantastic! Shower and change, then off to a favorite Mexican restaurant near Lincoln Road - Fresh Lime, for any of you who make it down to this neck of the woods. Burritos, Guac to die for, Margaritas - ok, not really on the diet, but who cares!? It's a birthday, folks!!!!

Had such a wonderful time - love and miss my yoga crew, but my back is still tweaky, so I have to start back into practice very slowly, and discover what I can and cannot do - it's always a learning process. The nice benefit of weight training is that it has really strengthened my back muscles, so I feel more support for my spine, ergo, less pain - yay!!!

The beach and sun are calling to me - oh, and I will go to the gym.......LATER, lol! See ya

anonymous
    No rest for the wicked......it has been a crazy week for massage, which means I had less time for gym and working out. I have found that may be a good thing, though, because I seem to be stronger, and able to lift heavier, when I have had a couple of days rest.
    It has been an emotional week for the family as well - my nephew's wife, Michelle, has a rare form of Sarcoma, was invited to participate in a clinical trial in Baltimore, courtesy of NIH. Because of the government shutdown, the clinical trial is suspended indefinitely..........to say we are all upset is a vast understatement. She wrote/vented on the CNN website, and as a result, she was interviewed on Anderson Cooper 360, plus NBC and a couple of other news outlets......hoping this lights a fire under someone's *ss, and the shutdown stops!
    Link: http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/0...nts/?hpt=ac_t1

I so admire this girl, and her attitude reinforces my resolve to live life to the fullest

I have changed gyms - really have had it with LA Fitness! The particular facility I go to has gotten progressively dirtier and crowded - I spend more time hunting down weights and waiting to use equipment than I do actually working out! Found a smaller, less crowded gym near my home, less $$ as well, and signed up. I start there tonight - yay!!

My workout last night was BACK!!

cardio 15", then lots of stretching - I am extremely stiff these days

Lat. Pull Down 60 x 15, 70 x 10,10 75 x 10
    DB Row 35 x 10, 10 40 x 8, 8
    Asst'd Pull Up (40 lbs assist) 10, 10, 10, 10
    Pendlay Row (on Smith machine) 50 lbs (plus weight of bar?) x 10, 10, 10 70 x 8!!
    Iso Lat. Pull Down 110 x 6 (what was I thinking?!), 90 x 8, 8, 8
    Machine Row 70 x 10, 10 80 x 8, 8

At that point I was DONE!! Did lots more stretching, 3 handstands (staying up longer) and went home to crash. Treated myself to beer and potato chips, hahahaha!!!

New gym tonight - let's see how this goes - have a fabulous day

anonymous
    Well, that answers a lot of questions......but not the answers I wanted to hear, that's for sure. Finally got to see the chiropractor (who happens to be my boss at my one job), and have a full exam. My back always hurts, just more on some days....it doesn't interfere with my life too much, because I just don't allow it, but it certainly disrupts/alters things in ways I don't like. Got x-rays and...........wow, had no idea how much I have damaged it over the years!! Sigh, all of the ballet (dropped in partnering a couple of times - bruised/cracked rib as well), aerobics teaching, running (YEARS of running), and yes, even yoga (fell out of handstands flat on my back - twice) have taken their toll.
    I have two areas, cervical and lumbar, where vertebrae are starting to fuse, a lateral curvature in thoracic spine, and healing compression fracture.........and my only question to her was "what exercise/activity CAN'T I do?" Looks like yoga is still on hold, because I really can't do much forward bending, or twisting - which are 2 main moves in most forms of yoga. Lifting? Yep, but VERY CAREFULLY, especially deadlifts and overhead movements, so it looks like gym time is a go - yay! Started therapy last night - heat/stim (what a weird feel that electrical stim is!), Graston on lumbar spine, then gentle adjustment - I actually feel a little better, but very sore. We are hoping that continued therapy, massage and manipulation will ease the curvature, and give me more mobility in the areas that are fusing......Lesson to all you Crossfitters - this may be your future if you continue to beat your body up like that!!!

I WILL go to the gym tonight - it's been 2 days since I have worked out, and I am getting cranky, lol! Will be working chest/arms/shoulders, so not too much torture on my back - then off to watch the Bears beat whomever they are playing tonight?!

I really need to eat more calories - just spinning my wheels on muscle/weight gain.......sigh, when did eating become such a chore?

Have a fabulous day - the best is yet to come

anonymous
    Sorry I haven't been very active on journal - life does have a habit of getting in the way, right!?

It's been a very crazy few weeks in the family: niece-by-marriage in California fighting sarcoma, writes letter to CNN and before you know it, Anderson Cooper is interviewing her about the gov't shut-down and how it affects clinical trials. She has now been accepted into another trial in Boston, will be flying out next week, yay!! Needless to say, it's been a tough time for the California side of the family.

My son is in the last days of training for his first Ironman - he did a half Ironman a couple of years ago, with very sketchy training - finished, but not well, and ended up in the ER that night due to hypothermia and dehydration. He has been training for this race for a year in a MUCH more organized fashion - nutrition, sleep, training splits, the whole enchilada! I am so proud of him, and grateful that his fiancee is soo understanding! I have been helping out with periodic massages, so it's nice to be a part of this in a small way.

Seeing how important an organized training plan is has spurred me on to actually finding a trainer - I have gotten friendly with a couple of guys at my new gym, found out that they were training for competition, and they gave me some great information. Also gave me the name of a woman at the gym who has trained several competitors, and competed herself. They could not say enough good things about her, so I am calling her today. I have no idea how to get to competition level, or even WHAT competition (Figure? bikini?) I should train for. This will help me get organized and NOT waste time or money!

Still consistent with my workouts - increasing weights by about 5lbs. every 3 weeks or so - and weeding out the exercises that tweak my back. Also getting therapy for said cranky back 2 times a week - find that I love the heat/stim/traction so much I wish I could take it home with me, lol! Graston is painful, but is slowly loosening up tissue that is so tight it feels like a tabletop - adjustments are a little tricky because of that tightness. Getting older, especially when you have abused your body, isn't fun, but it certainly is a challenge that can be met. A little patience and perserverence goes a long way

Will be measuring and taking progress pics tomorrow - posting asap! That's all for now

In for progress pics. Awesome news about getting a trainer. And your son doing an Ironman! That is really amazing!

anonymous
    It's OFFICIAL!!! I am training for Figure comp. from here on.......my trainer said I could go either way, but I find that the Bikini posing routines are just NOT my style at all - I seriously don't think I could pull that off without making a total fool of my self, or cracking up on stage (the latter being the most likely scenario!). With some serious training, focusing on my trouble areas, I could be ready for May of 2014 - would go sooner, but my wonderful son is getting married on April 4 - can't be having a cranky, dieting/cutting, oompa-loompa Mother of the groom spoiling the party, can we?!!

And speaking of BULKING........did I really say that word!??? Yes, I have to put on more muscle, which means more weight, which means some........FAT! I am afraid that I am totally paranoid about the fat thing....and that fact that buying a new wardrobe to accommodate extra poundage is not really an option. I will really have to try to wrap my head around this one.... sigh ........So part of our first training session will be diet, and how to get me bigger. If you hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth this Thursday night, that would be me......facing reality. Wish me luck :/

I have been steadily progressing in my workouts, adding about 5lbs of weight on each exercise every 2-3 weeks. An example day for legs:

15 minutes treadmill warm-up (the only cardio I do) and stretching
    Leg extensions 75x 10,10,10,10
    Glute Machine 70 x 10 warm-up, 80 x 10, 12, 12, 85 x 12
    Smith Machine squats bar only warm-up x 12, 50 x 8, 8, 8, 8
    Romanian Dead Lifts 75 x 8, 8, 8, 8
    Leg Curl 35 x 10, 45 x 8, 8, 8, 8
    Leg Press 110x 12, 12, 12, 12
    At this point I can barely walk, so I stretch and crawl home....to eat, perchance to sleep

Progress pics.....where did I put them.....? Ugh, have to load them from the IPhone , grrrrrrr!

anonymous
    Now maybe I can post some pics.........technology, sheesh!!!!
    Attached Images