Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Struggling with Bar Decision.

I'm in the process of building a home gym. Just seems the way to go.

So, I have scooped up a fair amount of plate weight as I've went along. I have been building sleds for myself and others for a while as well.

Last week, I built an Oly platform...the mats should be here tomorrow.

I'll be ordering a squat rack soon.

But, right now, I'm at a crossroads with buying a bar.

I have a beater bar for squats, deads, and bench, but I want a reasonably priced bar for the Oly lifts. I would like a decent whip on the bar since I already have a stiffer, heavier knurl bar.

I have my eye on:

- B&R Bar
    - The Rogue Bar
    - The Pendlay HD 20kg

All three of those bars are relatively close in price. Right around my price range.

But, an Oly lifter I know is getting rid of one of his bars...
    A York Elite Competition Bar (not the trainer bar.)

He wants $450 for it.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on a decent Oly Bar from either the list above or from personal experience? OR, do I save up an extra couple weeks and grab that York?

I asked this question a couple weeks ago in the Powerlifting/Strongman/Oly section, but it has since dawned on me that I should ask equipment questions to The Equipment Section

Thank you for your assistance.
    "The code of Bushido is harsh and relentless."

Olympic Lifting Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158765663

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Out of the bars you've narrowed your search to I would go with the Pendlay bar. They recently had 15% off plus free shipping. Even though the sale is over I would contact muscle driver and see if they would honor the sale.

The pendlay spins better and has greater whip from the reviews I have read from others. I had a rogue bar and it was a great bar but seemed to be built for all lifts i.e. not great spin decent whip etc. I have also heard there were spec issues with the B&R bar too.

Good luck!
    [II]---[II] Equipment Crew #49 [II]---[II]

[[[---]]] York Barbell Crew #35 [[[---]]] (DD, RH)

"The iron is with you for a while, and you will use it to get stronger, while preserving it and protecting it for the men and women who will come after you. You aren't a consumer. You're a brother of the iron. It's your duty. It's your calling." -AttyGuy

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What type of plates are you using? I've had both the Pendlay and B&R. Pendlay is a better oly only bar but you should be using bumpers. The B&R is a better overall bar.

I used Rogue bars but don't think I'd buy one.

$450 is too much for the Elite York comp bar. I sell them new for that price in Canada.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 08-19-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TakedaShingen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BIgOrange865 View Post
    Out of the bars you've narrowed your search to I would go with the Pendlay bar. They recently had 15% off plus free shipping. Even though the sale is over I would contact muscle driver and see if they would honor the sale.

The pendlay spins better and has greater whip from the reviews I have read from others. I had a rogue bar and it was a great bar but seemed to be built for all lifts i.e. not great spin decent whip etc. I have also heard there were spec issues with the B&R bar too.

Good luck!
    Just checked...they're still running 10% off and free shipping. We will see what other input we get, but that's a possibile winner.

Olympic Lifting Log:

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    What type of plates are you using?

$450 is too much for the Elite York comp bar. I sell them new for that price in Canada.
    Duly noted on the bar. I would honestly like to take that extra money and get a set or two of bumpers.

As for the plates...nothing fancy.

I picked up (6)-45lb plates, (4)-25lb plates, (4)-10lbers, (4)-5lbers, (2)-2.5lbers...ALL for $100.

I found the ad on craigslist. The guy was in a car wreck and isn't lifting anymore, and just wanted the plates to go to a good home that would use them. I assured him they will be getting their use.

Olympic Lifting Log:

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TakedaShingen View Post
    Duly noted on the bar. I would honestly like to take that extra money and get a set or two of bumpers.

As for the plates...nothing fancy.

I picked up (6)-45lb plates, (4)-25lb plates, (4)-10lbers, (4)-5lbers, (2)-2.5lbers...ALL for $100.

I found the ad on craigslist. The guy was in a car wreck and isn't lifting anymore, and just wanted the plates to go to a good home that would use them. I assured him they will be getting their use.
    Go with the B&R. It has the best steel of all 3 and can be used with iron plates. Its spins well and the quality issues have been resolved. The Pendlay is a great oly bar but its ribbed sleeves are kind of delicate and don't hold up with the cast plates.

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go with the B&R. It has the best steel of all 3 and can be used with iron plates. Its spins well and the quality issues have been resolved. The Pendlay is a great oly bar but its ribbed sleeves are kind of delicate and don't hold up with the cast plates.
    Have the q&a issues been worked out with the B&R? Saw they had some bad batches but that was when production first started...

Obviously the issues have been resolved. With iron plates the B&R may be a better choice. Either way both are quality products that should last a long time
    [II]---[II] Equipment Crew #49 [II]---[II]

[[[---]]] York Barbell Crew #35 [[[---]]] (DD, RH)

"The iron is with you for a while, and you will use it to get stronger, while preserving it and protecting it for the men and women who will come after you. You aren't a consumer. You're a brother of the iron. It's your duty. It's your calling." -AttyGuy

Yeah, I want a bar that can take a beating. Hopefully, one that will last me many years.

My only concern on the B&R is that it's too stiff to Oly Lift with.
    Last edited by TakedaShingen; 08-19-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Olympic Lifting Log:

KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000) KG4NEL is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're considering the Rogue Bar, I'd look into the Rogue Ohio as well

Yeah, I want a bar that can take a beating. Hopefully, one that will last me many years.

My only concern on the B&R is that it's too stiff to Oly Lift with.
    Stiffness is only related to the diameter, regardless of the bullchit marketing that you hear about whip and other nonsense.

The B&R (29mm) will be stiffer than the Rogue(28.5mm), and the Rogue will be stiffer than the pendlay(28mm). I believe the difference in stiffness would be negligible but the actual bar diameter would be more of a factor in the pull due to grip. I've seen the flex tests of the rogue vs B&R and they are near identical at 600lbs.

The B&R also uses the EXACT same steel spec as the Elite comp bar you mentioned earlier. That bar is more than fine for oly lifting.

Rogue, Rogue Ohio, same 150K steel spec. Not in the ball park of the other bars.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personally, if I was in the market for a bar that I'd be dedicating to O-lifts, then I would not even consider anything other than a 28mm bar.
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

Originally Posted by BIgOrange865 View Post
    Have the q&a issues been worked out with the B&R? Saw they had some bad batches but that was when production first started...

Obviously the issues have been resolved. With iron plates the B&R may be a better choice. Either way both are quality products that should last a long time
    They were not really QA issues, more design issues. The B&R is a 32004 with 32002 sleeves. The B&R was not built the way it is marketed. It's just a power bar with oly sleeves. They just took great bars and tried to make a new one. It took some time for York to get the bushings right for the sleeve to fit the bar.

Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Personally, if I was in the market for a bar that I'd be dedicating to O-lifts, then I would not even consider anything other than a 28mm bar.
    Same here. But because the OP is limited by cast plates, I don't want him to buy a Pendlay and destroy it.

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Same here. But because the OP is limited by cast plates, I don't want him to buy a Pendlay and destroy it.
    Did someone say Rep Fitness Excalibur (or get your friend to give you a fair price on the York Elite bar)?

Did someone say Rep Fitness Excalibur?
    Thought about it, wasn't sure if the were ribbed for his displeasure.
    Last edited by GarageIron; 08-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Might as well throw the link in here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ness+excalibur

The specs on that Rep bar look solid.
    And for that price? Hmmmm.

Anyone here run some field tests on it? Someone has had to have had their hands on this bar.

Olympic Lifting Log:

The specs on that Rep bar look solid.
    And for that price? Hmmmm.

Anyone here run some field tests on it? Someone has had to have had their hands on this bar.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3365501&page=1

EDIT: beaten

And over time...like, 6 months type time...

I'll be looking at uniform plates as well. I'll be asking more questions later on that one

Right now...just making due. And, I have a feeling that since this bar is specifically for Snatches and C&Js, that the bumpers I order from wherever I order a bar, will be seeing most of the action.

Olympic Lifting Log:

More research I require.

I honestly haven't heard of this company til now. I'm not opposed to a nice piece of equipment though.

Olympic Lifting Log:

More research I require.

I honestly haven't heard of this company til now. I'm not opposed to a nice piece of equipment though.
    Then you'll have to do it yourself. That thread is the best info that's available at this point (afaik).

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Pendlay bars spin like **** so if you are serious about oly lifts look elsewhere.
    *Muay Thai*
    *Brazilian Jiu Jitsu*

Then you'll have to do it yourself. That thread is the best info that's available at this point (afaik).
    There is some about it on the crossfit equipment boards but I try not to go there as it promotes hair loss.

There is some about it on the crossfit equipment boards but I try not to go there as it promotes hair loss.
    Yeah, keyboard kipping can be really hazardous to one's health.

Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, keyboard kipping can be really hazardous to one's health.
    WOD- 10min AMWAP(as many words as possible) typing about non sense paleo diets, gymnastics, not doing curls, and how many kettle bell swings they can do before passing out.
    PR's at 180-185lbs
    Bench-275
    Squat-455
    Deadlift-455

Certainly. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm glad I started this thread though. It's helping me sift through the possibilities. I've been looking at bars for weeks. Info, reviews, comparisons, specs.

I'm just trying to lift lol.

Olympic Lifting Log:

Originally Posted by Cimino36 View Post
    WOD- 10min AMWAP(as many words as possible) typing about non sense paleo diets, gymnastics, not doing curls, and how many kettle bell swings they can do before passing out.
    I shudder at the thought.

And NT? South Buffalo bro checkin in.

Olympic Lifting Log:

Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cimino36 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I shudder at the thought.

And NT? South Buffalo bro checkin in.
    Small world WNY is haha
    PR's at 180-185lbs
    Bench-275
    Squat-455
    Deadlift-455

Bar:
    http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...te-olympic-bar

Plates:
    http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...-bumper-plates

Bundle:
    Excalibur Bar/260lbs training bumpers

http://www.repfitness.com/featured-p...rep-weight-set

^^That's a really solid deal right there. Of course, I'd email and wait until their house bar was available again.^^

Olympic Lifting Log:

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bar:
    http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...te-olympic-bar

Plates:
    http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...-bumper-plates

Bundle:
    Excalibur Bar/260lbs training bumpers

http://www.repfitness.com/featured-p...rep-weight-set

^^That's a really solid deal right there. Of course, I'd email and wait until their house bar was available again.^^
    Solid choice. Repped.