amn101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg training recovery - any tips?

Hi all

I have been weight training properly for about 8 months and am loving it!

Currently I do a four day split, just wondered does anyone have any tips to speed the recovery of legs?

I always try and make a point of going hard on legs, I want to build them up and hate the 'big chest chicken legs' look! But lately I am finding that my legs are in bits for about four or five days after I train them. Is this normal?

I sit at a desk all day and feel like I'm ceasing up I suspect I need to get them moving a bit!

Any help appreciated, cheers!

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    More muscle mass, more weight on the bar, more lactic acid, more muscle to repair, longer recovery time. Try BCAAs mid workout and a stationary bike for about 1 mile after workout, stretching, foam rolling

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have found for me personally that stretching and foam rolling immediately after completing my leg workout has abated soreness to a good degree. If you're going the low frequency route, you'll prob never get rid of it, but perhaps trying that may help.
    Who was this love of yours?

Thanks guys ill give that a try.

muffinman51432 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad i'm not the only one. ICF 5x5 is PAINFUL.

Registered User SportsScience52's Avatar
    SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportsScience52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by amn101 View Post
    Hi all

I have been weight training properly for about 8 months and am loving it!

Currently I do a four day split, just wondered does anyone have any tips to speed the recovery of legs?

I always try and make a point of going hard on legs, I want to build them up and hate the 'big chest chicken legs' look! But lately I am finding that my legs are in bits for about four or five days after I train them. Is this normal?

I sit at a desk all day and feel like I'm ceasing up I suspect I need to get them moving a bit!

Any help appreciated, cheers!
    When my athletes have heavy strength days we try to start the recovery process ASAP. We do this multiple ways. First take a recovery (protein) supplement as soon as you can. Whey protein is fast absorbing. If you have access I highly recommend contrast baths! 2 min in hot water (100f) and 2 min in cold water (40f) do this 4 or 5 times through. This constricts and expands your blood vessels which acts as a pump to help clear lactate and other by products from your muscles. Make sure to end on the cold tub, ending in the hot or only doing the hot will increase inflammation and soreness. Also stretch and foam roll your muscles. Spend enough time on this! Not just 5 min. Finally cool down properly the day of training for 10-15 min to clear your muscles of by products and do light cardio the following day
    "We must get strong before we get exotic"

ullrstrength.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by SportsScience52 View Post
    When my athletes have heavy strength days we try to start the recovery process ASAP. We do this multiple ways. First take a recovery (protein) supplement as soon as you can. Whey protein is fast absorbing. If you have access I highly recommend contrast baths! 2 min in hot water (100f) and 2 min in cold water (40f) do this 4 or 5 times through. This constricts and expands your blood vessels which acts as a pump to help clear lactate and other by products from your muscles. Make sure to end on the cold tub, ending in the hot or only doing the hot will increase inflammation and soreness. Also stretch and foam roll your muscles. Spend enough time on this! Not just 5 min. Finally cool down properly the day of training for 10-15 min to clear your muscles of by products and do light cardio the following day
    Thanks bret,

The problem is I train on a morning before work and only have an hour. I may need to make sure leg day is a weekend so I have time to try these out. I could barely put my socks on today!!