meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Sad deadlift grip...

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help on this one! I'm starting to get frustrated with deadlifts because I can't actually lift as heavy as I believe I'm capable of because my grip isn't strong enough. I've been trying to do 5 sets every time, but when I put it at only 155lbs I end up dropping it in the middle of the second set because I feel my calloused skin being ripped from my hands. I use a mixed grip and I touch and go; no resets. Is there anything I can change to get more out of the exercise, besides using straps? (Don't really want to rely on them). Or should I focus on strengthening my forearms first? I searched the forum and there's some stuff about squeezing exercises...
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158655833

WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are lots of ways to improve grip.

The best is to do static holds. Just load up a bar, try 135 if your deadlift 155, and deadlift it double overhand, squeeze the hell out it and try to hold it for 60 seconds or however long you can. Repeat.

If you give up and use straps, your grip will never get stronger.

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by meimonsta View Post
    Hey guys, would really appreciate some help on this one! I'm starting to get frustrated with deadlifts because I can't actually lift as heavy as I believe I'm capable of because my grip isn't strong enough. I've been trying to do 5 sets every time, but when I put it at only 155lbs I end up dropping it in the middle of the second set because I feel my calloused skin being ripped from my hands. I use a mixed grip and I touch and go; no resets. Is there anything I can change to get more out of the exercise, besides using straps? (Don't really want to rely on them). Or should I focus on strengthening my forearms first? I searched the forum and there's some stuff about squeezing exercises...
    Any reason why you refuse to use straps? Unless you're a powerlifting it doesn't make sense to let your grip hold your progress. Deadlifts ISN'T grip strength exercise and using straps won't magically eliminate your grip. If you want to strengthen your grip for whatever reason try heavy holds, farmer walks and other grip strength exercises.

Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Magicbox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try using chalk if you don't already. Your grip should improve tremendously.

Else do some heavy farmers walk, static holds - preferably with a thick bar.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post
    If you give up and use straps, your grip will never get stronger.

Complete BS

Originally Posted by DivaJana View Post
    Any reason why you refuse to use straps? Unless you're a powerlifting it doesn't make sense to let your grip hold your progress. Deadlifts ISN'T grip strength exercise and using straps won't magically eliminate your grip. If you want to strengthen your grip for whatever reason try heavy holds, farmer walks and other grip strength exercises.
    Bolded

Your forearms and grip strength are tiny muscles compared to your back. Don't let your grip hold you back. DL as much as you can with a double over hand grip and when you can't hold on any more, use straps. I don't recommend mixed grip bc there have been too many incidents of the under hand bicep tearing badly, I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but why even risk it. Your grip strength will gradually increase, but there's no reason to let your back suffer now bc you can't hold the weight. Use straps---versa grips are the best money can buy IMO.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smithe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As you deadlift more your grip will strengthen, believe it or not. You don't have to do forearm curls or any crazy exercise to build your grip. Doing static holds as whoever suggested is a good idea. You can do them with dumbells as well, which I actually find more effective.

InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) InsanelyFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stroke a cawk with a tighter grip.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have found kroc rows to be pretty helpful. I do them one day a week. I also use an eco ball and mixed grip. I start w/ double overhand and save the mixed grip for my heaviest sets. I think the bicep tear thing is overblown- kind of like overtraining. It can happen, but I think the hype is bigger than the actual risk.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10) UTCasey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try pull ups, playing on monkey bars, and hanging from a pull up bar. 155 isn't too much heavier than your weight listed.

ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like previously mentioned, relying on straps really isn't a big deal. What's more important to you, having definition in your back, or being able to hold onto things tighter? I recently adopted this way of thinking and my back has seen huge gains from straps.

WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Complete BS
    how does using straps strengthen your grip?

there is nothing wrong with using straps if you are not a powerlifter, but using them is going to eliminate any chance that deadlifting will strengthen your grip.

meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks a ton guys, I've taken note of some of your suggestions. This morning, when I went to DL, I tried out static hold. I might look into straps. Also, I did better today because I spent less time bringing the barbell back to the floor, which lessens the time I have to grip total. I think that was also a large contributing factor before...I used to lower it super slowly

Edit: will spread some reps on recharge.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158655833

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

there is nothing wrong with using straps if you are not a powerlifter, but using them is going to eliminate any chance that deadlifting will strengthen your grip.

what makes you think that straps eliminate the forearms gripping the bar... Straps help pull the bar to the hand, so it makes gripping to be more efficient, it still takes your forearms to hold the weight. If you were to get stronger with straps over a very long period of time, believe me your "non straped" grip strength will also increase over time.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 4EVERstrong21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by meimonsta View Post
    Work on your grip strength until it is able to handle the weight, and once your grip fails then use straps to continue lifting. Grip strength will come with time and training, but you shouldn't let it stop you from lifting heavier with straps for a while.
    ~ Strength and Honor

Deadlift 405 1RM
    70lb Kettlebell 15RM

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Your forearms and grip strength are tiny muscles compared to your back. Don't let your grip hold you back. DL as much as you can with a double over hand grip and when you can't hold on any more, use straps. I don't recommend mixed grip bc tre have been too many incidents of the under hand bicep tearing badly, I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but why even risk it. Your grip strength will gradually increase, but there's no reason to let your back suffer now bc you can't hold the weight. Use straps---versa grips are the best money can buy IMO.
    I agree with this.

I'll utilize either a mixed grip or double overhand with straps.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Using straps doesn't eliminate the requirement to grip the bar. As the load on the bar gradually increases over time, so does grip strength, even if using straps.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    not sure why it is bad to "rely" on straps. unless you are a competitive powerlifter i see absolutely no reason to avoid using straps. i do all my deadlift sets with Double overhand grip and use straps for every set over 315. no way could i get more than a couple reps w/o straps, yet with straps i can do so many more.