dwightdegroff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Considering the BodySolid GPR378 Power Rack and BodySolid GFID71 bench... thoughts?

First post, subject says it all: I want to start building a home gym, and am thinking that a power rack is the best place to start.

I'm considering the BodySolid GPR378 power rack, without the lat attachment initially ($395 from fitnessfactory, incl. shipping/tax)
    I'm also considering the BodySolid GFID71 FID bench ($249 from fitnessfactory, incl. shipping/tax)

Anyone have experience with the rack or bench? Pros? Cons? Are there other racks that I should consider around that same price?

I have two concerns, so far:
    - the holes are 3 inches from center to center
    - I am hearing the holes aren't "standard" diameter, so I wouldn't be able to purchase third-party attachments(from NYBB, for example).

These don't feel like deal-breakers, but I want to be forward-thinking here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dwightdegroff; 08-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.

DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bench is a little on the tall side, but quite sturdy. Padding is nice, but I prefer it a little more stiff then it actually is. I was going to say rear crossmember would be an issue while benching, but since you're skipping the lat, you can hoist rear of the bench over crossmember if needed.

Holes are 1", you can have blackwidowtg make you add ons, or order add ons for the "force" rack from Williams strength.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #37 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #4──<//>─<\\>──

Damon, thanks for the reply. Good info on the bench.

I was looking at the rear crossmember as a potential issue, too. I've seen some people suggest that the hooks(they're longer, almost like mini-safeties) are long enough that they can help alleviate that problem, too, by giving you extra room without backing up against the crossmember.

Thanks again for the reply.

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The rack is kinda short if your doing pullups especially since your 6'2" and not to wide but if you dont have much space then its good. I just finished up my garage gym till i get more money and ya. What are you looking to get it for? You need a short bench or most excercises will have to be done facing in instead of out. Theres some lil things like having to mark the holes yourself etc you in texas you can buy mine i've only had it like 2 weeks
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TruKnight is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good start op. I bought that same rack from fitness factory myself this last month and am satisfied. I don't think youll find a better 3x3 rack for the price. may feel short for you at 6'2 but for me its the perfect height.

ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ubernoob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I own the power rack and I am 6ft 1in, works fine for me. I have had it for a few years now and have no regrets.
    Continually searching for that elusive runners high!

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #53 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #41 ||---||

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dwightdegroff View Post
    First post, subject says it all: I want to start building a home gym, and am thinking that a power rack is the best place to start.

I'm considering the BodySolid GPR378 power rack, without the lat attachment initially ($395 from fitnessfactory, incl. shipping/tax)
    I'm also considering the BodySolid GFID71 FID bench ($249 from fitnessfactory, incl. shipping/tax)

Anyone have experience with the rack or bench? Pros? Cons? Are there other racks that I should consider around that same price?

I have two concerns, so far:
    - the holes are 3 inches from center to center
    - I am hearing the holes aren't "standard" diameter, so I wouldn't be able to purchase third-party attachments(from NYBB, for example).

These don't feel like deal-breakers, but I want to be forward-thinking here.

Thanks!
    The three inch spacing isn't really the problem. Getting a bench that has just the right height so that 3" spacing matches up to a good benching height might be. One the flip side, a one inch spacing is a pain to line up when moving the spotter arms. I bought a used $40 Body Solid flat bench, cut off 2" in the band saw and reassembled it. Now I have a 18" high bench, a great match up to the rack and the 3" spacing lets me pretty much line up the arms on the first try. Don't take my bench measurements and think they will work for others though as everybody has a different thickness chest wise.
    The non standard hole size is a minor problem, but I think the best solution is posted here. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3925951&page=1

donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000) donforeman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DamonB82 View Post

Holes are 1", you can have blackwidowtg make you add ons, or order add ons for the "force" rack from Williams strength.
    For the GPR378 = 1 1/4"

DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DamonB82 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by donforeman View Post
    For the GPR378 = 1 1/4"
    Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realize that the rack was a slut with expanded holeage
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #37 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #4──<//>─<\\>──

smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't find this rack (gpr378) for any lower than 595 even on fitness factory.. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by smul View Post
    I can't find this rack (gpr378) for any lower than 595 even on fitness factory.. Am I missing something?
    http://www.fitnessfactory.com/ then email Matt. I emailed another sales person first and they offered me only 10% off. Matt gave me the better deal. The rack is a good deal for 395 shipped to your door in my opinion, it does have some faults too, so don't think you're getting an $800 rack quality wise for $395.

smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! That is a great deal that's why I've been looking for it haha. I appreciate it.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Now I have a 18" high bench
    wow i had no idea those bs benches are 20" tall. that's way too high.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Yes I agree, I think the only BS bench that is normal height is the GFI21. I was looking for one when I found the flat bench for $40, the BS flat bench is super easy to shorten. Two cuts and two holes and its almost normal size.

Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    You need a short bench or most excercises will have to be done facing in instead of out.
    Not really what really screws up the bench position on a GPR378 is when people add the lat pull down. That totally ruins the rack in my opinion because it severely limits where you can put the bench. I just lift the bench and straddle the rear cross member, If I need more room. Benches that are completely flat on the bottom like Ironmaster cant do this either.

Thanks for the replies, and especially the first-hand info with the rack. I think I'll be pulling the trigger sometime this week.

(Sorry for the double-post)

I'm now seeing that GFID71 bench might be a little bit too long (70") for my space, which is doubling as an "office".

I'm comparing the capabilities and dimensions of the GFID71 (19"H x 70"L x 28"W) with the GFID31 (22"H x 59"L x 27"W) I'd love to find something that's a similar length to the GFID31, but 22"H seems like it would be too tall...

Any advice? Maybe a different brand for an FID bench around the same price($249)?

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://www.fitnessfactory.com/ then email Matt. I emailed another sales person first and they offered me only 10% off. Matt gave me the better deal. The rack is a good deal for 395 shipped to your door in my opinion, it does have some faults too, so don't think you're getting an $800 rack quality wise for $395.
    Matt is the MAN, i wouldn't talk to anyone else Matt doesnt bs around with how about this price on this etc, and yes the lat attachment is a waste cuz you will need that room for the bench but hey i got a lat attachment if you wana buy it
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

I have been getting PMs with questions on how to contact Matt. Its not hard, if your emailing just state you want to talk to Matt. If you call instead = same thing. How my deal went was I emailed and got another sales person who didnt give me a deal at all. I wrote back and happened to get Matt and the price was much better. He told ask me to call him to complete the deal and I did and gave him the CC info over the phone.

Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceway is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought the body solid gpr today from that website. I have been in a chat with Terry and let him know that I was referred by somebody who spoke to Matt and Got a quote of 395. He first asked me for 420 but once I said that he told me no problem.

Curiously, I check my purchase order and said referred bodybuilding.com. So, they know about it.

valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) valetudo8080 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    Matt is the MAN, i wouldn't talk to anyone else Matt doesnt bs around with how about this price on this etc, and yes the lat attachment is a waste cuz you will need that room for the bench but hey i got a lat attachment if you wana buy it
    THANKS...i really appreciate the kind words

I have been getting PMs with questions on how to contact Matt. Its not hard, if your emailing just state you want to talk to Matt. If you call instead = same thing. How my deal went was I emailed and got another sales person who didnt give me a deal at all. I wrote back and happened to get Matt and the price was much better. He told ask me to call him to complete the deal and I did and gave him the CC info over the phone.
    DON...sorry everyone is asking you...so i came here to help take some stress off you....if you ever need anything just let me know and i'll see what i can do for you.

Originally Posted by Iceway View Post
    I bought the body solid gpr today from that website. I have been in a chat with Terry and let him know that I was referred by somebody who spoke to Matt and Got a quote of 395. He first asked me for 420 but once I said that he told me no problem.

Curiously, I check my purchase order and said referred bodybuilding.com. So, they know about it.
    Yes guys...I had the racks for $399 for a long time...we are sold out of them now.....I am sorry....we had about 200 racks we could sell at that price and they are now gone.

So just contact me here or email at mhunt@fitnessfactory.com and i'll see what i can do.....seems like $449 and free shipping is the best i can offer now....just mention this and I'll see if there is anything else i can do to help with pricing or maybe a freebie of something i can throw in.....like a bar attachment or something...i am not sure but i will take care of you guys somehow.