Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blessmygains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Rep range for Hypertrophy

I was just wondering what everyone's personal opinion was. Personally from my experience I have seen better result's in adding mass with the range of 6-8 reps. How about everyone else?
    Lift hard, there is no tomorrow.

Bench - 260
    Squat -350
    Dead lift - 350 just started inb4 flamed

Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    depending on the exercise, but around 8 i find best generally
    Australian Natural Bodybuilder.
    Instagram: BrendonHiscocks
    Snapchat: thicktightsolid
    Email: Brenjam@hotmail.com < Coaching, plans, support, questions, email me! >
    #BRENZILLA

ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100)
    Iv learned over the years that 6-8 key for strength building (strength = size = muscle hypertrophy). Although the lower end of the rep rage may give you the quickest results, it may have an effect on your form and technic. Causing imperfect muscle growth. Iv found my best and most well-rounded results with the 8-10 to even 12 rep range, this, if done right, will ensure muscle hypertrophy and long, balanced muscle fibers.
    Also keep in mind everyone is different. We're all made up of entirely different genetic codes and what might be the perfect lift routine for me or you may not be the optimal for another.
    #no cats aloud

ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ghjk24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It honestly depends on the person, body part, and exercise.
    please bro not in the AM

Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brenjam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ScronnyJonny View Post
    Iv learned over the years that 6-8 key for strength building (strength = size = muscle hypertrophy). Although the lower end of the rep rage may give you the quickest results, it may have an effect on your form and technic. Causing imperfect muscle growth. Iv found my best and most well-rounded results with the 8-10 to even 12 rep range, this, if done right, will ensure muscle hypertrophy and long, balanced muscle fibers.
    Also keep in mind everyone is different. We're all made up of entirely different genetic codes and what might be the perfect lift routine for me or you may not be the optimal for another.
    #no cats aloud
    wot is this
    #BRENZILLA

120lbs here we come johndoejd54's Avatar
    johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) johndoejd54 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hypertrophy can be meet many ways, you need to experiment with what Is best for you

StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StackingPlates has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here are some references for you to begin self experimentation...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html

http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_158907702.pdf (Schoenfeld's great writeup on the underlying mechanisms of hypertrophy)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17326698 – (Wernbom et al review suggests that 60-85% of 1RM tends to cause the highest rates of hypertrophy. Extrapolated further, highest rates of hypertrophy for elbow flexors was in the 75% of 1RM range and quads at 60% of 1RM)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11828249 – ACSM latest position stand

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pa...&type=abstract – (Goto et al compared three groups, a hypertrophy group, a strength group, and a combination group. Hypertrophy group did 10RM with a rest period of 60 seconds. The strength group did 90% of 1RM and the combo group did a combination of each. The last worked best for maximal gains as well as endurance, although not to a statistically significant degree)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11079527 – (Bemben et al compared six months of high-load vs. high reps protocols and found no difference in hypertrophy although upper-body strength increased most in high-load group. High-load was 80% of 1RM using 8 reps and high-reps was 40% of 1RM using 16 reps)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270 – (Campos et al compared eight weeks of 3-5RM, 9-11RM, and 20-28RM. The low/moderate rep ranges caused greatest increases in hypertrophy and strength with little difference between the two)
    http://stackingplates.com
    http://instagram.com/mrstackingplates

SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperHippo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    6-12 typically closer to 8-10, I try to get 9

Reececoza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reececoza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reececoza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I reckon 8-10 is a good range, always stuck to that and db press doubled within 3 months

ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Brenjam View Post
    wot is this
    I'm sorry, I don't understand?

CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10) CzarSurg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    6-10

Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dugimeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Basically, when you lift a weight, you recruit a certain amount of muscle that are able to contract in order to move the weight. When doing several reps, the initial fibers that were recruited get fatigued, therefore your body will start recruiting more fibers in order to keep on resisting the weight. This is how hypertrophy comes into play, it's about recruiting as much fibers as possible to make the muscle grow. When doing only one rep for example, you will only recruit a small amount of strong fibers, that will complete the lift on their own. When doing more reps, more fibers will get into play. Although, the resistance (the weight) needs to stay relatively heavy.

From what I have read, the best rep range for hypertrophy varies from 8-12. Although, there are a number of other things that come into play.

I hope that helped a bit!

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Brenjam View Post
    wot is this

I'm sorry, I don't understand?

He's probably referring to your strange post with a 'what the hell?' type statement.

Iv learned over the years that 6-8 key for strength building (strength = size = muscle hypertrophy).
    Strength doesn't equal size. And if it did, you'd be doing a lot more 2-5 rep sets on the main lifts, as many powerlifters do.

Although the lower end of the rep rage may give you the quickest results, it may have an effect on your form and technic.

If your form is bad when the weight is heavy, that's your own fault, not the rep ranges.

Causing imperfect muscle growth.
    Muscle growth is muscle growth.

Iv found my best and most well-rounded results with the 8-10 to even 12 rep range, this, if done right, will ensure muscle hypertrophy and long, balanced muscle fibers.
    You do realize that muscle fibers are microscopic? And that your rep range won't determine if they're 'long and balanced' or not?

#no cats aloud

Confused.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) SUAS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For legs, chest and back, like 6-8, but delts at least 10-12, for me personally.
    Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165224651

Anna Kendrick is My 10/10 soloki's Avatar
    Location: Gettin Weird W/ Green Holiday Manlets at, Santa Clause's Crib on, Christmas Island
    soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000) soloki is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO

6-8 Reps

Originally Posted by NZninja101 View Post
    He's probably referring to your strange post with a 'what the hell?' type statement.

Strength doesn't equal size. And if it did, you'd be doing a lot more 2-5 rep sets on the main lifts, as many powerlifters do.

If your form is bad when the weight is heavy, that's your own fault, not the rep ranges.

Muscle growth is muscle growth.

You do realize that muscle fibers are microscopic? And that your rep range won't determine if they're 'long and balanced' or not?

Confused.
    lol, repped.
    #BRENZILLA

J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dugimeister View Post
    Basically, when you lift a weight, you recruit a certain amount of muscle that are able to contract in order to move the weight. When doing several reps, the initial fibers that were recruited get fatigued, therefore your body will start recruiting more fibers in order to keep on resisting the weight. This is how hypertrophy comes into play, it's about recruiting as much fibers as possible to make the muscle grow. When doing only one rep for example, you will only recruit a small amount of strong fibers, that will complete the lift on their own. When doing more reps, more fibers will get into play. Although, the resistance (the weight) needs to stay relatively heavy.

From what I have read, the best rep range for hypertrophy varies from 8-12. Although, there are a number of other things that come into play.

I hope that helped a bit!
    best reply here. It is about recruiting the muscle fibers and also working them. That is achieved by straight sets with variable rep ranges 5-20 are the best here or employing rest-pause/myo reps types of workouts

Jordan1324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blessmygains View Post
    I was just wondering what everyone's personal opinion was. Personally from my experience I have seen better result's in adding mass with the range of 6-8 reps. How about everyone else?
    8-12 Is supposed to be the best hypertrophy rep range of course, but maybe you're adding size better than strict 8-12 because you're gaining more strength and recruiting more muscle fibers to actually grow. All while still staying in that hypertrophy range. I get my best results in 8-12, but only after i have took a month or so of pure strength training. Or of course, maybe you're just geared for the 6-8 range.

J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) J777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jordan1324 View Post
    8-12 Is supposed to be the best hypertrophy rep range of course, but maybe you're adding size better than strict 8-12 because you're gaining more strength and recruiting more muscle fibers to actually grow. All while still staying in that hypertrophy range. I get my best results in 8-12, but only after i have took a month or so of pure strength training. Or of course, maybe you're just geared for the 6-8 range.
    the thing is that 8-12 despite sounding like bro-science to some people is actually the golden medium for hypertrophy/strength. it allows for enough tension but most importantly it allows for volume. Volume is critical for hypertrophy

robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) robrobrobrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why is it that everyone here has said 6+ reps onward, yet the stickied ripatoe guide says 5.

Originally Posted by robrobrobrob View Post
    Why is it that everyone here has said 6+ reps onward, yet the stickied ripatoe guide says 5.
    He is a strength coach, not a bodybuilding coach. Bodybuilding is not strength training.

If you Lift at 5 RM - you will get stronger at 5 RM
    If you Lift at 12 RM- you will get stronger at lifting at 12RM

But lifting at 12 RM is superior for bodybuilding purposes as it allows for more volume and works muscle fibers progressively.