MinoTarTar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Tips for bigger arms?

So I'm working on packing some size onto my arms and have a few questions.
    First off is it true that your triceps are the majority of your arms (therefore training triceps hard = bigger arms)?

Also, it seems to me that wide grip barbell curls work the short head of biceps, and narrow grip works long head of biceps. Is it true that working the short head of the biceps (aka wide grip) makes the arms more developed/bigger?

And finally, what are some general tips on getting bigger arms? (Exercises etc.)

Thanks in advance guys

i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000) i666 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First off, welcome to Bodybuilding.com

DIPS! DIPS! and MORE DIPS! They are the "squat" for the upper body. Mount the bars, keep your body as perpendicular to the floor as possible, lower your body until your arms are at right angles and press back up. Add weight as often as you can. Either using a belt to hang plates or by crossing your ankles and holding a dumbbell with them.

The Triceps muscle complex takes up two thirds of your arms overall size, so; if you want big arms... go heavy on the dips! Use heavy dumbbell hammer curls to develop the outside of your biceps(wouldn't worry so much about wide curls) and tie your upper arms into your lower arms and whatever you do... DON'T NEGLECT YOUR FOREARMS! Your forearms are on display EVERY time you wear short sleeves. For those, superset barbell wrist curls and wrist extensions EVERYDAY. Five supersets a day Monday through Friday taking the weekends off will add about a solid inch to your forearms in about six weeks.

BUT! You wont get anything unless you're willing to put in the work, LOTS of hard work. That, and eating enough QUALITY food to grow.

BUT! Truth be told... there is NO way to quick size. It takes patience, dedication, and a BOAT load of hard work. I can't reiterate enough about the hard work, it is ESSENTIAL!

Good luck OP!

cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What he said ^ giving him my poor reps

Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slaugh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes train your triceps, theyll get your arms huge

i started doing narrow grip bench press about two months ago and my triceps have been growing super fast. give it a shot!
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Agreed with working triceps. Be sure to include overhead work to work the long head.
    GSF

Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grabre is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by i666 View Post
    Use heavy dumbbell hammer curls to develop the outside of your biceps(wouldn't worry so much about wide curls) and tie your upper arms into your lower arms and whatever you do...
    Hammer curls primarily target the brachioradialis, not the brachialis/long head of the biceps brachii, so I would still be sure to incorporate other kinds of curls (e.g. wide grip). Otherwise solid advice.
    Edit: Also yeah, your triceps make up something like 60%-70% of your arm, so make sure you train them hard!!

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't forget to work your chest

alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexb650 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. Triceps are 2/3 of your arm mass so keep that in mind.
    2. Don't ego lift
    3. Have your diet in check and eat a surplus.

That kinda goes for all muscles.

map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by i666 View Post
    Your forearms are on display EVERY time you wear short sleeves. For those, superset barbell wrist curls and wrist extensions EVERYDAY. Five supersets a day Monday through Friday taking the weekends off will add about a solid inch to your forearms in about six weeks.
    I'm really surprised to see several members of this forum agreeing with this, I think doing 5 supersets of wrist curls a day M-F is a terrible idea. Twice a week maybe, like Monday AND Friday, but not Monday through Friday.

chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chris139ryan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    As stated above concentrate on triceips as well as biceips your arms will grow

Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by MinoTarTar View Post
    First off is it true that your triceps are the majority of your arms (therefore training triceps hard = bigger arms)?

Also, it seems to me that wide grip barbell curls work the short head of biceps, and narrow grip works long head of biceps. Is it true that working the short head of the biceps (aka wide grip) makes the arms more developed/bigger?

And finally, what are some general tips on getting bigger arms? (Exercises etc.)

Thanks in advance guys
    Focus on making progress on your compounds and eating at a surplus. No amount of isolations will make your arms big if your chest/back/shoulders are small/weak.

And don't forget about forearms, the single most aesthetic muscle group in the body (imo). I personally hit them hard twice a week on my pull days with deadlifts, heavy shrugs, and reverse wrist curls.

Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50) Newbiees will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Malfurion View Post
    No amount of isolations will make your arms big if your chest/back/shoulders are small/weak.
    Lol what? You can't grow arms if the rest of your body is weak?

Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Newbiees View Post
    Lol what? You can't grow arms if the rest of your body is weak?
    You can get some size gains, but they won't grow significantly out of proportion.

jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jeremyacox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MinoTarTar View Post

Thanks in advance guys
    Yes triceps of your arm so focus on them more than biceps in my opinion. For example on arm day I do 4 exercises for triceps and 3 for biceps.

I wouldnt worry about finding illusions to make the arm bigger from a certain angle, just lift hard to make it grow. I do heavy hammer curls, EZ bar curls and barbell curls and made great progress even on my last cut. However, dont forget these are isolation movements and for biceps, heavy rows and back work incorporate biceps as well and you can lift more weight with those movements than just a curl.

What helped me out tremendously for my arms was first off dips as those work almost your whole upper body and once you can start to add weight to them, its like magic to see the growth. Currently working out with 155 lbs of extra weight on them and it is my favorite exercise. For the biceps, try reverse grip on some back work like pulldowns and rows and it will add mass as well.
    Meet lifts
    578/402/618

ACE certified Personal Trainer

*Twin Lab Miltia Member since 2014*

Instagram @jeremyacox1