RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mineral Ratios for athletes/bodybuilders

I have been Google searching for a while now but I have yet to really come to a conclusive answer on what ratios of the primary minerals are optimum for an active person.

For minerals my primary concern is Calcium to Magnesium. Most supplements and nutritionists seem to dictate the 2:1 ratio for those two minerals. Unfortunately, there are MANY cases where this seems to be sub optimal intake for magnesium in active individuals. One such resource that I stumbled across suggests a bare minimum 1:1 and optimally 1:2. That is a BOAT load of magnesium to take if you are anywhere near the 2g mark for calcium intake as most pills are around the 250mg mark.

My personal experience from my own experimentation has been that 2:1 completely depletes my body of magnesium. Within 2 days of following this supplementation I was feeling tired, run down and lifting the same weight for only half the reps. Today was the first day that I tried a 1:2 ratio to hopefully catch up my magnesium levels. The magnesium knocked me out within a half hour sending my body into deep recovery mode. When I woke up, I noticed that strength had returned to my arms and they no longer throbbed, but I very soon after had the magnesium citrate runs. I have heard that magnesium chloride eliminates that effect, but from what I hear it is applied topically, making it hard to measure how much your are actually taking/absorbing.

Much more experimentation is needed, but early results are promising.

RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    backing off supplementation to 1:1 Cal/Mag for today to observe results. 1:2 causes too much watery bowel and will negate any positive effect due to mineral loss by dehydration.

some interesting information: http://paleoedge.com/how-much-calciu...athletes-take/

even though it is a paleo site pitching products at the end, the information presented is valid. Second source I have found confirming ratios of at least 1:1

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic...um_Levels.aspx

Finally a quantity suggestion. Magnesium intake 1.2g for females and 2g for males. With 1:1 that's 2g calcium to 2g magnesium and remember to count the 100 or so mg's of calcium in your protein shake.

It would probably be ill advised to go much higher than these levels because Charles Poliquin is not know for being conservative.
    Last edited by RustedIron; 08-10-2013 at 08:38 AM.

interesting to note that to keep a balanced mineral ratio you should be having a 250mg magnesium pill for every 2 protein shakes that you consume and that's if it is just taken with water.

Today the bowls have calmed significantly, still not 100% but not all water either. Energy and general sense of well being is up significantly and strength levels have returned to normal. 1:1 is definitely the most optimal ratio that I have tried yet.

Also experimenting with increasing my potassium levels a bit. Switched out some pasta for potatoes last night and noticed a circulation increase "Fuller muscles".
    Last edited by RustedIron; 08-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.

LastFlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where did you find information stating you need twice as much Mag to Cal?

The official american nutritional guidelines recommends 350mg Magnesium per day.

To have a ratio of 2:1 would mean 3.4g of Mag / day.

That's almost freaking 10x the RDA!

"Most human studies of the effects of dietary calcium
    decrease magnesium on magnesium absorption have shown no effect.
    absorption. Calcium intakes of as much as 2,000 mg/day (in adult
    men) did not affect magnesium balance. However,
    calcium intakes in excess of 2,600 mg/day* have been
    reported to decrease magnesium balance. Several
    studies have found that high sodium and calcium
    intake may result in increased renal magnesium
    excretion. Overall, at the dietary levels recommended
    in this report, the interaction of magnesium with
    calcium is not a concern."

*Fyi, Cal doses in excess of 2.5g a day is toxic anyway

That is a direct quote, from the papers that nutritionists refer to.

I'll grant you there aren't any significantly horrible side effects to over-dosing. Interestingly, they established the upper limit for Mg as the point at which diarrhoea occurred, even so, I wouldn't want any of my mates dosing that hard.
    Last edited by LastFlight; 08-21-2013 at 02:47 AM.

jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jimaras22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have heard that 1g magnesium , 1g calcium and 2g potassium is enough daily.

i have tried 1g of magnesium and i am ok after consuming it , better sleep and recovery.[citrate is one of the best forms , that's the one i used]

i have seen a friend of my mom's with a bone problem taking 2 caps of 500mg calcium each and some vitamin d daily.

find the best forms for all of them.
    UWOTM8