taiwanscuba has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Suitcase full of fitness gear?

Hi Folks,

Brand new to the forum and fairly new to free weight training in general.

I am an expat living abroad in Asia.

I have just started building a home-gym using locally sourced fitness gear.

My over all fitness goals are:

#1 Fat loss
    #2 Increasing my daily energy (I'm over 40)
    #2 Building functional strength

Currently, my home-gym has the following:

-Concept 2 Rower
    -Heavy Bag
    -Body Solid Bench with dumbells + lots of weight
    -16kg kettlebell
    -Curl bar
    -Fixed pullup bar
    -PVC parallettes
    -Nike pushup handles
    -Ab Wheel

* We have a Costco here where I get protein powder but that is the extent to which I use supplements.

* Where I live in Asia, the 'garage-gym' scene is virtually non-existent. For example, it is virtually impossible to purchase a good Olympic bar and bumper plates. I do have the capacity to build and get things fabricated but generally speaking, the list above represents most of whats possible to get here.

* I am going back to North America for a vacation and have a friend who manages a large fitness store and can get me pretty much anything I want. They have a good selection of Crossfit gear as well. I can essentially bring back anything that will fit inside a suitcase and doesn't go beyond travel weight limits.

I am thinking about putting the following in my suitcase: (Note that each of these items are not available where I live)

-Cable Speed Jump Rope (I've never jumped rope but it seems like a good idea to start)

-Gymnastics Rings (I'm sure it will be ages before I can do muscle-ups etc.. but these are simply not available where I live so it makes sense to buy a set) Question: Wood - Steel - Plastic ? Big price differences between them.

-Resistance Bands (I'd like to get some that will help assist me with pull-ups and dips) Question: Any recommendations? Should I be thinking about getting other ones for other purposes?

-Medicine Ball (I've been thinking about getting a Dynamax 20lbs ball. Medicine balls are simply not available here) Question: It seems to me that because the 20lbs ball is the crossfit standard, everyone buys this one. Do people find these very useful for general functional strength building. It would be a massive effort to put this into a suitcase. Do people think a good medicine ball is a very important part of a strength building home-gym?

-Interval timer (Gymboss is not available here)

* Is there anything else that folks might put into the suitcase beyond these things?

* Any suggestions, ideas or advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i'd get a very high quality standard bar, like an Ivanko or something. you can put into a pvc pipe for travel, and it sounds like you'd have all the weights you'd want for it. if you build the right platform, you can drop the iron weights without damage to the bar or plates (probably), and that would take care of having bumpers, and you wouldn't need an olympic weight set.

if you like kettlebells, you can get a couple of Punch Kettlebells, maybe 24kg, and two each of 2kg and 4kg kettlebell buddies that fit on there, to give you a pair of 24kg, 26kg, 28kg kettlebells

definitely rings.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're in Taiwan? That's amazing if they don't sell any bars and bumpers.

For rings you probably want wood. Steel you can leave outside but wood grips better and if it hits your head it's gentler.

You may also want straps and a nice leather belt. http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-lifting-belt.php or http://www.bestbelts.net/ or Inzer.

And fatgripz. And maybe this compact sled http://www.roguefitness.com/s-35e-rogue-e-sled.php Sorinex makes one too.

And and sandbags http://www.roguefitness.com/tactical-sandbags.php and these grips http://www.roguefitness.com/cannonball-grips.php and knee and wrist wraps.

And maybe a weight vest without the weights if you can fabricate at home.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any chance you can ship some stuff back, rather than only taking what will fit in a suitcase? That way you're not limited by size and weights that will fit in a suitcase, and since you have a connection, you can presumably get good deals on your equipment, which should help offset at least some of the extra shipping costs.

In terms of what to bring in your suitcase, I'd say that you should definitely get a jump rope, resistance bands and rings. Do a search on the forums for resistance bands on ebay, there are supposed to be some good deals there vs getting brand name bands. Rings are the best thing you can get, especially since you already have a pullup bar. Probably best deal out there right now are the Muscledriver wood rings for $55 (see link below). This is a good price for any kind of rings, and especially so for wood rings. That being said, if humidity/moisture is an issue, you might want to consider polycarbonate rings to avoid any warping issues with wood, or rusting issues with metal rings.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/MDUSA...le_p_2467.html

Thanks so much for the replies.

Shipping: I live in Taiwan and getting anything shipped from North America (in my case Canada) to Taiwan is absolutely brutal. A friend of mine once mailed a thick hardback book to me from Vancouver and it cost him $40 bucks. Reciprocally, I could send you a bicycle from here for the same price. The best way to get things to Asia is to take it with you on the airplane. If necessary, paying the extra-baggage fees. These always turn out to be much cheaper than shipping and risking paying duty etc.. On the plus side, you can basically bring whatever you want to into Taiwan. I have never been charged for anything I brought in on a plane in many years of travel.

Kettlebells: totally sorted for that. There is a guy in Taipei who has them made so I can get anything I want.

Olympic Bars and Bumpers: Ultimately, I would love to get myself a rack with an Oly bar and plates. Unfortunately, I have fairly serious disc compression in one of my lumbar vertebrae and it has given me very serious pain for over 15 years. I build my core strength to counter-balance this issue but doing a lot of squats and cleans would probably put me in traction. *(if anybody has information or links that say otherwise I would appreciate any ideas)

Rings: I think I've settled on getting a set of Rogue Wood Rings. They seem like the standard and folks seem to recommend them very highly. I might also get myself a set of plastic ones to keep outside.

Sandbags: What do people think about these? They seem really expensive. I've seen people make them out of car inner-tubes etc..

PS: I'm fairly tuned into the DIY Garage Gym options and plan on making some slosh-tubes and a Dip Station out of PVC etc.. but if anyone has any additional ideas about things that really should be purchased, it would be great to hear from you. (The ball-grips and Rogue sled looks very cool!)

Thanks

MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterMackinaw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    easy, just bench your suitcase full of fitness gear

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by taiwanscuba View Post
    I have fairly serious disc compression in one of my lumbar vertebrae and it has given me very serious pain for over 15 years. I build my core strength to counter-balance this issue but doing a lot of squats and cleans would probably put me in traction. *(if anybody has information or links that say otherwise I would appreciate any ideas)
    Here are four more things to add to the suitcase:

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief

Body Back Buddy

A LaCrosse Ball.

A Foam Roller.

I think it's likely that you can eliminate at least some of your back pain through trigger point therapy. I made a thread a while back which tells part of my story with it and shows some of the tools that I use. See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137619833
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hcnehracso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Folks,

Brand new to the forum and fairly new to free weight training in general.

I am an expat living abroad in Asia.

I have just started building a home-gym using locally sourced fitness gear.

My over all fitness goals are:

#1 Fat loss
    #2 Increasing my daily energy (I'm over 40)
    #2 Building functional strength

Currently, my home-gym has the following:

-Concept 2 Rower
    -Heavy Bag
    -Body Solid Bench with dumbells + lots of weight
    -16kg kettlebell
    -Curl bar
    -Fixed pullup bar
    -PVC parallettes
    -Nike pushup handles
    -Ab Wheel

* We have a Costco here where I get protein powder but that is the extent to which I use supplements.

* Where I live in Asia, the 'garage-gym' scene is virtually non-existent. For example, it is virtually impossible to purchase a good Olympic bar and bumper plates. I do have the capacity to build and get things fabricated but generally speaking, the list above represents most of whats possible to get here.

* I am going back to North America for a vacation and have a friend who manages a large fitness store and can get me pretty much anything I want. They have a good selection of Crossfit gear as well. I can essentially bring back anything that will fit inside a suitcase and doesn't go beyond travel weight limits.

I am thinking about putting the following in my suitcase: (Note that each of these items are not available where I live)

-Cable Speed Jump Rope (I've never jumped rope but it seems like a good idea to start)

-Gymnastics Rings (I'm sure it will be ages before I can do muscle-ups etc.. but these are simply not available where I live so it makes sense to buy a set) Question: Wood - Steel - Plastic ? Big price differences between them.

-Resistance Bands (I'd like to get some that will help assist me with pull-ups and dips) Question: Any recommendations? Should I be thinking about getting other ones for other purposes?

-Medicine Ball (I've been thinking about getting a Dynamax 20lbs ball. Medicine balls are simply not available here) Question: It seems to me that because the 20lbs ball is the crossfit standard, everyone buys this one. Do people find these very useful for general functional strength building. It would be a massive effort to put this into a suitcase. Do people think a good medicine ball is a very important part of a strength building home-gym?

* Is there anything else that folks might put into the suitcase beyond these things?

* Any suggestions, ideas or advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    You said you buy your protein from costco- do you ever get any good fitness stuff on sale there? Sorry not sure what kind of stuff they stock in costco in your country but here in UK costco usually has good deals

Talking

Thanks for the replies. The mobility factor is something I haven't thought enough about. I have a final question: What should I consider in the way of resistance bands. These are simply not for sale in Taiwan. What color / mm thickness should I be getting for #1 Assistance with pullups and dips and #2 To help me with mobility stretches #3 Anything I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Taobao.com is your friend.

Almost everything you mentioned here is indeed available here inTaiwan/china.

Getting a high quality bar may be a bit tough but jumpropes, Kbs, trx, rings and the like are easily available, shipped to your door.
    *Muay Thai*
    *Brazilian Jiu Jitsu*

Originally Posted by China505 View Post
    Taobao.com is your friend.

Almost everything you mentioned here is indeed available here inTaiwan/china.

Getting a high quality bar may be a bit tough but jumpropes, Kbs, trx, rings and the like are easily available, shipped to your door.
    Definitely true if you are on the mainland but importing stuff directly from China via taobao to Taiwan is a dicey business. Getting hit with duties might be a problem. I've heard that there are some third party agents that can bring stuff in.

China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) China505 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Definitely true if you are on the mainland but importing stuff directly from China via taobao to Taiwan is a dicey business. Getting hit with duties might be a problem. I've heard that there are some third party agents that can bring stuff in.

Got any friends on the mainland? Maybe they could order it for you then ems it over. I'm surprised taobao won't ship to Taiwan directly. I sent a pair of liftin shoes to a guy on another forum from qingdao to Taipei and we had no issues, if I remember correctly, it cost like 50rmb.
    *Muay Thai*
    *Brazilian Jiu Jitsu*

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Boxers have been using these for years and for good reason. An excellent tool for your conditioning.

Wood if you can find them.

There are many different types of bands. Are you referring to the one-piece bands that form a loop? Or the stretch tubing? Both have their uses and can be very beneficial. You have to actually use them to see which ones are right for you.

Med balls can be incredible for developing conditioning. Keep in mind that Crossfit uses a few different types; traditional med balls, slam balls and wall balls. A 20lb ball might be an issue depending on your suitcase.

A good investment.

Look into things like Fatgripz and travel-size foam or rumble rollers.

undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies. The mobility factor is something I haven't thought enough about. I have a final question: What should I consider in the way of resistance bands. These are simply not for sale in Taiwan. What color / mm thickness should I be getting for #1 Assistance with pullups and dips and #2 To help me with mobility stretches #3 Anything I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    elitefts for bands. They have variety packs of color/thickness too. I was going to recommend Jump Stretch bands, but it looks like the ones elitefts are selling are jump stretch with a different name.

undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post

Look into things like Fatgripz and travel-size foam or rumble rollers.
    +1 for Fatgripz and foam rollers

Don't pay attention to the fatgripz schtick about getting big arms, that's just marketing bs. Fatgripz are all about grip strength, and worth the $40 IMHO.
    Last edited by undrconstruxn; 08-13-2013 at 12:00 PM.

#3 Anything I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Captains of crush grippers from ironmind if you are interested in grip strength, in addition to the fat grips which work grip differently.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. I see a lot of good recommendations for fatgripz. Captains of Crush grippers seem like a major player for people who are serious about grip strength. I reckon the Trainer is for me

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. I see a lot of good recommendations for fatgripz. Captains of Crush grippers seem like a major player for people who are serious about grip strength. I reckon the Trainer is for me
    I like the CoC grippers for testing grip strength. If your goal is to close heavy grippers, then doing some training with them makes sense too. But the shape of the handles is hard on the hands, especially once you work up to using heavier grippers; I recommend some other type of training for actually developing grip strength. Grip strength is activity specific too; being able to close a CoC #2 gripper will not necessarily mean that you'll be able to hang onto the holds on a climbing wall.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I like the CoC grippers for testing grip strength. If your goal is to close heavy grippers, then doing some training with them makes sense too. But the shape of the handles is hard on the hands, especially once you work up to using heavier grippers; I recommend some other type of training for actually developing grip strength. Grip strength is activity specific too; being able to close a CoC #2 gripper will not necessarily mean that you'll be able to hang onto the holds on a climbing wall.
    There seem to be a great many grip-strength exercises that can be done with diy gear. I actually bought a kind of forearm roller in Taiwan that gives a very good workout. I load up empty wide mouth protein jars with sand and practice lifts. I think I'll try to make a set of diy softball grips as well and attach them to my pullup bar since the Rogue canon ball grips are kinda pricey. I was shopping for a rockclimbing finger board trainer today at MEC but its just too heavy for the suitcase. The quest continues

Also thought I'd mention, if you have something shipped from the USA, if you go with USPS flat rate international, it slips ugly through customs.

If you go with fed ex or ups, they get switched to Dhl and it ies straight to customs.

I've had about 10 boxes sent here USPS flat rate, never had to deal with customs...straight to my door.
    *Muay Thai*
    *Brazilian Jiu Jitsu*