Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    KimberlyS0812 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Firewife27 View Post
    Hi Justine!

I have a question about ab pudge... I've had mine for forever, even before having my daughter 7 years ago. I can work them til they're good and sore, eat as clean as I possibly can, but the pudge stays there. It might shrink, but it won't go away. Everything else on me is gaining tone and muscle. What can I do to blast this ab pudge away?
    Have you varied your macronutrients, weight training, and cardio. Your intensity should increase, taking minimal breaks in between sets and intervals, and making sure you are ingesting enough calories and not starving yourself. If you are increasing your intensity, you may want to look at your nutrition.

Firewife27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I adjust my macros if I'm not making any progress, I lift 5x a week and don't do much cardio since I'm doing the Livefit trainer and I'm only in week 3, cardio doesn't get added in to the program until week 5. Once it does, it's steady state cardio for 1/2 hour 3 to 4 days a week
    Originally Posted by KimberlyS0812 View Post
    Have you varied your macronutrients, weight training, and cardio. Your intensity should increase, taking minimal breaks in between sets and intervals, and making sure you are ingesting enough calories and not starving yourself. If you are increasing your intensity, you may want to look at your nutrition.

JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First off you look awesome! Congratulations on your transformation! I know how much hard work and dedication it takes to make changes in your body, so you should be very proud of yourself!!!

My 3 Suggestions for getting started with competing:

1) Go to a local show. If you want to compete in the NPC (or another organization) look up competitions near you and go check it out. It's important to get an idea of what you are getting into first. Observe the competitors, and what sets the winning competitors apart... How they walk, how they pose, how they present themselves. Getting into great shape is one thing, presenting it onstage and commanding an audience and judging panel's attention is ANOTHER thing. So observe, study, take notes, get inspired!

2) Set a date! Pick out which show(s) you want to do. I personally trained for 6 months to prepare for my first show. I recommend a MINIMUM of 12 weeks for a contest prep, but slow and steady is always best. So look for shows in about 4-6 months.

3) Hire a coach. Shop around to find a coach who can best suit your needs. Find someone who is reliable, reputable and has experience and credentials to properly guide you to the stage. Make sure it is someone you feel comfortable with and can trust to look out for your best interests.

*** I will post about modeling in the next thread!! ;-)

Originally Posted by Hannahstone25 View Post
    i would love to get some advice on how to start getting into competing and modeling! i need all the help i can get lol

jan,2014- 130lbs
    jun,2013- 180lbs

JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustineFit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Some advice for getting into fitness modeling...

Most of the photo shoots I've done I have set up myself... My first shoot I decided to set up for one week after my first competition. At the time I wasn't sure if I would continue competing, so I wanted to capture being in the best shape of my life. I worked with a local photographer and the pics came out great so I posted them on my ******** and soon after started getting contacted by other photographers. A lot of up and coming photographers will do TF shoots (trade for pics- where neither the photographer nor model pays for the shoot, just a collaboration) so I began doing a few of those types of shoots, working with photographers I connected with through ModelMayhem.com. That is a good way to get your feet wet with modeling. There is more to it than just being fit- facial expressions are challenging- my first shoot I think we took about 100 photos before I started looking natural on camera and not like a deer in headlights!! LOL.

I also highly recommend making an investment to build your portfolio working with some of the top names in the industry. I have been fortunate enough to work with LHGFX, Ludwig Araujo, Eric Battershell, Andrew Nicholson, and Jimmy Murtaugh (Alpha Design Photography) and they are all VERY talented, VERY professional and AWESOME to work with. Investing in a shoot and getting some high-quality, eye-catching photos when you are in peak condition can help get your name and face out there. If you compete I recommend setting up 1-2 shoots right around competition time, when you will be in your best shape.

***A MAJOR word of CAUTION for TF type shoots, and ALL photo shoots... There are a lot of creeps out there, and unfortunately a lot of men with nice cameras that CALL themselves photographers, but really are looking to make money off cheap, tasteless, provocative shots. My #1 word of advice is never go to a photo shoot alone, and do not work with ANYONE who says you can't bring someone with. (I've had photographers tell me "you can't bring a boyfriend/ husband because it's distracting to the model"... NO. This is a red light! Do NOT work with anyone who says you can't bring someone to your shoot). Second, KNOW YOUR LIMITS. If you are doing a sexy shoot, know how far you are willing to go and what your boundaries are ahead of time. I do photo shoots that are sexy in nature, but I always keep in the back of my mind that I want all the work I do to be okay for my Dad to see. I am super close to my family, so I always keep that in mind going into shoots, so I don't end up with shots that went too far. Your reputation and image are everything in the industry, so have your boundaries and stand your ground.

As for sponsorships and building your name...

Social media is HUGE... that goes hand in hand with sponsorships and other great opportunities in the fitness industry. So don't wait for perfect conditions to start posting- just get started! Share your journey with others through photos, blogs, motivational posts, etc. My best advice for social media is 1) always be positive and 2) post from the heart. People can tell when you are trying too hard and when you are being yourself. If you are just yourself and open up and share your up's and down's people will FEEL that, and respond to that. In this age a simple "SELFIE" can build a fitness superstar... So snap photos of your progress and share, share share! Companies in the industry want to sponsor athletes who can connect with others and promote the brand, so building up social media is really important.

I also suggest getting out there and attending fitness events and shows. When you go to shows, expos or fitness events you can introduce yourself to people working the supplement tables and inquire if they need anyone to do demos. Always carry business cards on you in case you meet a good contact. It's all about networking, putting your best foot forward in public and in your posts, and putting yourself out there. I'm naturally pretty shy but this industry has forced me to step outside of my comfort zone and go up to people and shake their hand and introduce myself. Just keep moving forward like that with your positive attitude and great things will fall into place.

I hope this helps!!! It's such a broad topic, so I hope this kind of steers you in the right direction! All the best to you!

Originally Posted by KimberlyS0812 View Post
    I actually have a couple of questions. I aspire to be sponsored one day. And to compete. I just had my son 5 months ago and am on the right track back to strength and fitness. How did you get your start? What advice could you give?

I would suggest trying 2 things:

1) Add high intensity SPRINTS to your weekly routine, 2-3x/ week. Sprints are proven to help blast fat better than other types of cardio, so they are great to incorporate when you are looking to blast that last bit of fat in "trouble zones"

2) Fine tune your diet. Even though you are eating clean you might be taking in too many/ too few calories for optimal fat loss... Or you might be consuming excess carbs or fats and not enough protein. I recommend that 30-40% of your total calories come from protein, then 30-40% carbs and 20-30% fats. Investing in a nutritionist or coach might be a good idea, even for just a few month to get your nutrition on point. All the ab exercises in the world will not get my abs to show if my diet isn't VERY on point, so I suggest starting with your nutrition to shed fat in your midsection.

I hope this helps!! Train hard and be patient... You can do this!!

Originally Posted by Firewife27 View Post
    Hi Justine!

I have a question about ab pudge... I've had mine for forever, even before having my daughter 7 years ago. I can work them til they're good and sore, eat as clean as I possibly can, but the pudge stays there. It might shrink, but it won't go away. Everything else on me is gaining tone and muscle. What can I do to blast this ab pudge away?

lpgear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Justine I had a question about diet wise I eat clean a lot and was cutting out a lot of carbs but I feel like as soon as I eat something alittle not clean I gain weight. and for diet wise I see post for like women to eat 1200 calories a day that seems really low I recently started carrying a step monitor at work and most days I have about 1300 steps in 8 hours of work should I be eating more with all the work im doing at work and than lifting at night. Thanks.

Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hannahstone25 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JustineFit View Post
    First off you look awesome! Congratulations on your transformation! I know how much hard work and dedication it takes to make changes in your body, so you should be very proud of yourself!!!

My 3 Suggestions for getting started with competing:

1) Go to a local show. If you want to compete in the NPC (or another organization) look up competitions near you and go check it out. It's important to get an idea of what you are getting into first. Observe the competitors, and what sets the winning competitors apart... How they walk, how they pose, how they present themselves. Getting into great shape is one thing, presenting it onstage and commanding an audience and judging panel's attention is ANOTHER thing. So observe, study, take notes, get inspired!

2) Set a date! Pick out which show(s) you want to do. I personally trained for 6 months to prepare for my first show. I recommend a MINIMUM of 12 weeks for a contest prep, but slow and steady is always best. So look for shows in about 4-6 months.

3) Hire a coach. Shop around to find a coach who can best suit your needs. Find someone who is reliable, reputable and has experience and credentials to properly guide you to the stage. Make sure it is someone you feel comfortable with and can trust to look out for your best interests.

*** I will post about modeling in the next thread!! ;-)
    Thank you so much!!!!!! you're awesome!!!!!

Your daily caloric needs should be calculated while taking into account a variety of factors including gender, age, height, weight, lifestyle, workout regimen and daily activities.... But I can tell you offhand in my opinion 1200 calories is WAY too low for anyone. I typically do not suggest clients ever go under at LEAST 1500 calories a day. Your body will not burn fat if you are under-eating... It will actually do the opposite and CONSERVE fat as an energy source because it is not getting adequate fuel from food. Also keep in mind that not all carbs are bad!! Carbs are our bodies PREFERRED source of energy and studies show that people who consume more complex carbs actually maintain lower body fat and BMI's long term. Stick to carb sources like oats, sweet potatoes, rice, beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables and stay away from processed foods, white flour and sugar.

As for the issue of gaining weight as soon as you eat something "not clean"... My first guess would be that is sodium related. If you are eating mostly unprocessed foods and do not salt your food you are probably taking in very little sodium on a daily basis. So when you eat something processed or from a restaurant and it contains higher sodium that will make your body retain water for a few days (even up to a week if you are very sodium-sensitive). SOME sodium intake is actually necessary for the body to function properly. I used to NEVER salt my food or use condiments and I was extremely salt/ sodium-sensitive... Now I use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt on some of my meals each day and I no longer experience any weight gain when I have a cheat meal. Try that out and see if it helps.

Originally Posted by lpgear View Post
    Hi Justine I had a question about diet wise I eat clean a lot and was cutting out a lot of carbs but I feel like as soon as I eat something alittle not clean I gain weight. and for diet wise I see post for like women to eat 1200 calories a day that seems really low I recently started carrying a step monitor at work and most days I have about 1300 steps in 8 hours of work should I be eating more with all the work im doing at work and than lifting at night. Thanks.

jasminerivers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Hi justine my question is so what would be the recommended time to start competitions. I understand everyone body is different so it can take years for some people to be comfortable to compete. I have back ground in weight lifting but stopped after 11 years do to doubt and pregnancy.

When i was weight lifting i was at roughly 100lbs lifting 200lbs however after 11 years of not working out im at 140lbs all fat and i thought by giving myself 6months of training i could start competing but after reading other posts it has discouraged me into years possibly.

So how long would you wait and continue training to build your confidence back up?

Hi Jasmine,

When I started my fitness journey in competing I was fairly new to working out. I did NOT have an athletic background- growing up I didn't play sports, so I didn't really start to develop my muscles/ physique until my early 20's. When I started training for my first show I was also at 140 lbs with fairly HIGH body fat percentage compared to where a lot of competitors start... I took 6 months of consistent weight training and proper diet before I stepped on stage for the first time.

Now 4 years and 16 shows later there is no doubt my body is significantly better, but my opinion is everyone has to start SOMEWHERE... So I always tell people just go for it! 6 months is an adequate amount of time to prepare for a competition if you have the right mindset and work ethic. I always feel its better to get onstage sooner rather than later, so you can see how your body looks onstage, and then make improvements and progress with each show and each season.

Keep in mind, this sport is about YOU versus YOU.... Being the best YOU can be... so don't be discouraged by other people's journeys or progress... This is YOUR individual journey and it should be a fun, positive experience!!

I wish you all the best! Hope this helps :-)

Originally Posted by jasminerivers View Post
    Hi justine my question is so what would be the recommended time to start competitions. I understand everyone body is different so it can take years for some people to be comfortable to compete. I have back ground in weight lifting but stopped after 11 years do to doubt and pregnancy.

When i was weight lifting i was at roughly 100lbs lifting 200lbs however after 11 years of not working out im at 140lbs all fat and i thought by giving myself 6months of training i could start competing but after reading other posts it has discouraged me into years possibly.

So how long would you wait and continue training to build your confidence back up?

Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi Justine. What sort of numbers do Bikini pros put up in the gym? Let's say on the Big 3?
    Hoping to bench 200 someday

Originally Posted by Big_Dip View Post
    Hi Justine. What sort of numbers do Bikini pros put up in the gym? Let's say on the Big 3?
    I spend a lot of the year in a calorie deficit when preparing for competitions and photo shoots- but in my offseason I squat 135, dead lift 135, and bench 95 (I weigh 120-130 lbs). That's just me personally, however I know bikini competitors who lift a lot more than me.

Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big_Dip will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I spend a lot of the year in a calorie deficit when preparing for competitions and photo shoots- but in my offseason I squat 135, dead lift 135, and bench 95 (I weigh 120-130 lbs). That's just me personally, however I know bikini competitors who lift a lot more than me.
    Cool. Was just curious as I never actually see lifting stats for Bikini competitors. Are those 1RMs or you rep that much?
    Hoping to bench 200 someday

I do those for reps- up to 15 reps at that weight. Not sure of my 1RM it doesn't really apply to the type of training I do.

Originally Posted by Big_Dip View Post
    Cool. Was just curious as I never actually see lifting stats for Bikini competitors. Are those 1RMs or you rep that much?

kmbnyc2013 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for starting this thread. You really have motivated me and gotten me to where I am today. I have a few questions regarding competition prep. I have my first competition in October 18 2014. I am trying to find the best check list for making sure I have everything and learn any tips i need to know about tanning, suite, or suggested online coaches.

Right now I am looking for an online coach. I will be 12 weeks out in 37 days and I really need to find a coach I am comfortable with and trust their opinion and advise. Do you have any suggestions on who to look or a place to go to see a list of coaches?

How did you pick out your suite? Who did you use? When did you start exfoliating for your tan? Did you get a base tan in a bed before getting your spray tan? Where and how did you pick out your jewelry? When would be the point where you KNOW you will be able to compete? I am dedicated to compete but I want to make sure I am really ready when it comes down to it instead of showing up and noticing I am not ready compared to other girls competing. How do you know you are a bikini or figure? Does it depends on how your body shapes out when you cut down fat or is it all in the way you train your body?

Sorry, I know this is a lot but I have all of this on my mind and I can't seem to find reliable sources to answer these questions.

Thank you again for your time.

Noor1555 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dear ,
    Is it ok to take steroids to make muscle??
    please let us have your reply

maxiereavis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Competing

Hi Justine!
    I've always had an interest in nutrition and fitness since high school, and have always wanted to compete as well. I'm lost though, on where I can start!
    I currently weigh 130lbs and am 5'6. I eat clean (with occasional cheat days) and workout daily. Any advice for a complete beginner or someone with no competing experience?
    Thanks!
    -Maxie

Hi everyone!!! I am Justine Moore, Official MET-Rx Athlete, National Level NPC Bikini Competitor, Fitness Model & Certified Personal Trainer & Nutrition Specialist. Thank you for taking the time to check out my thread!

I have competed in 14 competitions to date and have gotten in shape for countless photo shoots-- but to be honest, getting in shape and STAYING in shape does NOT come naturally to me! I have to work VERY hard to get the body you see in my photos. I am not blessed with super genetics, or a physique that stays lean easily... And like most women I despise my cardio most of the time and I love, love, LOVE to eat (especially dessert!)

Fitness has been my greatest passion for the past 5 years since I first began training clients. I struggled with my weight from childhood into my early 20's and tried just about every fad diet that exists before I found strength training and clean eating and realized living a fit lifestyle was a HEALTHY way to control my weight and get the body I always wanted!

There is nothing more satisfying than helping a person change their life- gaining strength and confidence, making goals a reality and improving their health and overall quality of life. I LOVE sharing my knowledge and experience of fitness to help others. I especially love connecting with other women in fitness, because I feel that those of us who live this lifestyle share a common BOND... it provides awesome support and motivation knowing others are going through the same things as me!!

I have created this thread for all of YOU... to share your thoughts or tips, or ask me questions or for advice anytime! I receive a lot of questions through emails and social media and I thought this would be a great place that can be a "go-to" for sharing/ asking for advice and opinions. I will also be sharing my personal thoughts, trials and tribulations through my upcoming contest prep which starts this Monday (Aug. 12th)!!

I look forward to connecting with a lot of you!! Train hard, eat clean, stay positive! XOXO, Justine

Originally Posted by Noor1555 View Post
    Dear ,
    Is it ok to take steroids to make muscle??
    please let us have your reply
    My opinion is no... With proper training, nutrition and supplementation you don't need to resort to that. There are no magic pills or potions that can substitute HARD WORK.

Originally Posted by maxiereavis View Post
    Hi Justine!
    I've always had an interest in nutrition and fitness since high school, and have always wanted to compete as well. I'm lost though, on where I can start!
    I currently weigh 130lbs and am 5'6. I eat clean (with occasional cheat days) and workout daily. Any advice for a complete beginner or someone with no competing experience?
    Thanks!
    -Maxie

Hi Maxie,

That is awesome! Preparing for a competition is a GREAT way to learn a lot about yourself & really dedicate yourself to a goal while getting your body into the best shape of your life! It is both mentally and physically challenging- but very rewarding, when you do it for the right reasons. ;-)

My 2 suggestions to get started are:

1) Check out local shows and decide which show you might like to compete in. I would recommend giving yourself at least 5-6 months to fully prepare for your first competition. There are different organizations so attending shows in person is the best way to get a feel for if it's right for you.

2) Find a coach. Do your research on this and find a coach with a great reputation who you feel you connect with. The coach-competitior relationship is extremely important- you want someone qualified, who knows what they are doing, has experience with the organization/ division you want to compete in, and someone you can trust and be open with.
    I HIGHLY recommend hiring a coach for your first competition... and every show after that, for that matter! The reason being is it becomes too hard to look at yourself from an unbiased perspective... And contest prep does not need to be stressful so take the guess work out of it and put it in the hands of an experienced professional. They will tell you exactly how to train, what to eat, how to pose, details about suits, tanning, hair, makeup, registration... All that stuff, so you can sit back, train hard and follow your plan and be CONFIDENT that you will be your best on show day.

Good luck to you!!! :-)

chelseaspinos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Justine! I was wondering as a bikini competitor, how many times do you train glutes?? I gain mass a lot easier in my upper body and I really want to build more muscle on my lower body but I am nervous about "overtraining". Right now I do hams/glutes Monday, Full legs Thursday, then glutes+back on Saturday...

how many times for legs/glutes in sufficient enough?

vivavi12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vivavi12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's awesome to see you here!

Originally Posted by chelseaspinos View Post
    Hey Justine! I was wondering as a bikini competitor, how many times do you train glutes?? I gain mass a lot easier in my upper body and I really want to build more muscle on my lower body but I am nervous about "overtraining". Right now I do hams/glutes Monday, Full legs Thursday, then glutes+back on Saturday...

how many times for legs/glutes in sufficient enough?
    Great question! My personal routine depends on how close I am to a show but normally I have 1 heavy full lower body day, 1 day of plyos/ conditioning work, and often close to a show I will tack on an extra glute day (often with some upper body, as you mentioned).

If you are looking to add some mass to your lower body I definitely recommend going heavy on all the basics... Compound lifts like squats, lunges and deadlifts are KING, as well as leg press, extensions and curls. I really believe those fundamental moves are the best for creating a strong, shapely lower body. The extra glute day is a good time to incorporate more of the "shaping" exercises such as kickbacks, hip thrusts, & abduction movements.

Cardio & diet are important as well... If you are looking to add muscle to your lower body I highly recommend sprints and other HIIT cardio, as sprints are shown to actually aid in gaining muscle, where as most types of cardio do not. Also make sure you're taking adequate calories to build muscle... Plenty of protein and carbohydrates and a balance of healthy fats.

Supplements like BCAA's, Glutamine and a high-quality Whey Isolate are also effective, and can help your body recover from multiple lower body days each week. I also like to take a pre-workout to give me an extra boost to really push on my training days... Right now I'm taking the new MET-Rx pre-workout Nuclear X. It contains caffeine, beta-alanine, arginine and creatine-- all of which can give you more energy, stamina, and that "pump" (better circulation) for improved strength and performance. As always check with your doctor if you are going to add any new supplements to your regimen.

Train hard & stay consistent and keep me posted on your progress!! Good luck girl!