Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Confusion about fat in vegetables

I log what I eat on fitday.com and I'm very meticulous about every macro and calorie.

I've noticed that the fat in raw vegetables and cooked vegetables change by quite a lot.

For example 100g of raw broccoli contains 34 cals and 0.4g of fat whereas 100g of cooked broccoli contains 54 cals and 2.7g of fat.

Assuming both are correct where does the extra fat and calories come from?

saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It probably assumes you're sauteeing in oil or something.

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how are you cooking it?

FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    I log what I eat on fitday.com and I'm very meticulous about every macro and calorie.

I've noticed that the fat in raw vegetables and cooked vegetables change by quite a lot.

For example 100g of raw broccoli contains 34 cals and 0.4g of fat whereas 100g of cooked broccoli contains 54 cals and 2.7g of fat.

Assuming both are correct where does the extra fat and calories come from?
    Not sure if srs?
    If you cook 100g of raw veggies, all the water comes out of the veggie during cooking and you end up with much less than 100g. So in order to get 100g cooked veggies, you would have to cook somewhere close to 180-200 raw veggies.
    comprende?

Originally Posted by saw7988 View Post
    It probably assumes you're sauteeing in oil or something.
    wut?
    Originally Posted by MrBillson View Post
    how are you cooking it?
    huh
    *EDM KREW*
    *Positive Krew*
    *Minotaur kREw*
    *President of Mr.Cooper's Fan Klub krEW*

lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) lVlaKaVeLi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I'm pretty sure there is some sort of mistake, there are 33kcal in 100g of cooked broccoli.

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FattyMcTubbs View Post
    Not sure if srs?
    If you cook 100g of raw veggies, all the water comes out of the veggie during cooking and you end up with much less than 100g. So in order to get 100g cooked veggies, you would have to cook somewhere close to 180-200 raw veggies.
    comprende?

wut?

huh
    I was going for this. Would it be the same if the veg was boiled or steamed? Sorry if stupid question.

Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how are you cooking it?
    Often I will put all sorts of veg with chicked in a "shake and bake" bag.

Basically this is some powdered flavouring and a plastic bag that can be put in the oven.

All my veg will be oven cooked for 40 mins in a plastic bag.

No oils and the food is all contained in a plastic bag.

Basically this is some powdered flavouring and a plastic bag that can be put in the oven.

Fatty hit the nail on the head.

Less water = less weight = higher concentration

Fatty hit the nail on the head.

Less water = less weight = higher concentration
    Where does the extra fat come from then?

FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was going for this. Would it be the same if the veg was boiled or steamed? Sorry if stupid question.
    Not sure, to be honest. I'm sure at the same level of "done-ness" difference would be negligible. Cooking/boiling/steaming for too long will result in nutrient loss.
    *EDM KREW*
    *Positive Krew*
    *Minotaur kREw*

saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea but it's not 0.4->2.7 g of fat higher concentration. It's either wrong or it assumes oil.

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Maybe Fitday doesn't know you didn't add anything.

I reckon by doing nothing - the macro content would remain as it was, raw. Maybe absorbed some fat from the chicken, but that would already be counted in the chicken anyway.

Not sure, to be honest. I'm sure at the same level of "done-ness" difference would be negligible. Cooking/boiling/steaming for too long will result in nutrient loss.
    True, I was once told by someone studying dietetics (so not a complete authority on the subject, but fairly knowledgeable) that microwaving was the way to go for veg, because less cooking time = less nutrient loss.

True, I was once told by someone studying dietetics (so not a complete authority on the subject, but fairly knowledgeable) that microwaving was the way to go for veg, because less cooking time = less nutrient loss.
    Amount of water used in cooking/steaming/nuking is responsible for greater loss of nutrients. Less water=less nutrient loss.
    *EDM KREW*
    *Positive Krew*
    *Minotaur kREw*

Amount of water used in cooking/steaming/nuking is responsible for greater loss of nutrients. Less water=less nutrient loss.
    All makes sense.

Reps on spread.

Originally Posted by saw7988 View Post
    Yea but it's not 0.4->2.7 g of fat higher concentration. It's either wrong or it assumes oil.
    Different sources of info, I guess(yes even if using same site ie nutrtiondata).
    Plus, when something contain less than .5g of fat it can be rounded down but if you use a larger amount you have to count more
    Either way, stick to raw whenever possible. Even if you don't you would have to eat a ton of broccoli in order to make any sort of damage to your diet.
    *EDM KREW*
    *Positive Krew*
    *Minotaur kREw*