Thread: Type 2 diabetes

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Type 2 diabetes

So, went to the doctor last Friday to follow up an issue I had that had landed me in the hospital for a few hours back at the end of July. Doctor diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes. Not surprised, there is a genetic disposition to it in my family (my grandmother was insulin dependent, my aunt has been on gluco****e forever...that's what they put me on as well).

So, any of you guys dealing with this? If so, has it caused you to have to make any changes in your training?

It's All Broscience -Bro JBWarren70's Avatar
    JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JBWarren70 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Check your inbox, I sent you a link to how someone beat type II with nutrition and lifting.

I can't link anything here until after 50 posts.

LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    So, went to the doctor last Friday to follow up an issue I had that had landed me in the hospital for a few hours back at the end of July. Doctor diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes. Not surprised, there is a genetic disposition to it in my family (my grandmother was insulin dependent, my aunt has been on gluco****e forever...that's what they put me on as well).

So, any of you guys dealing with this? If so, has it caused you to have to make any changes in your training?
    I can't offer any advice on this subject, but I can offer you my very best wishes.

Just think positively, lean on the advice of your doctors and the solace of family and friends.

LPM
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. It is the wine of a new procreation, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for men and makes them drunk with the spirit."

Beethoven

sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sammybigz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

My mother has had type 2 diabetes for almost her entire life. She was always over weight never ate right none of that. Well, she dropped all her weight and cut out all sugars and drinks Prickly Pear Juice every singe day and my mother , now at the age of 70 is completely off her diabetes medicine and doing well. Look into getting yourself that juice buddy. It works. It is an amazing product Prickly pear juice also known as Nopal Juice. or Cactus

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check out Getsum's journal. He's diabetic and doing amazing things.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am type II. Was heavily medicated. Lost 90lbs, no more meds. Still type II, just controlled with diet. Not all can, and those who do, can still end up on meds over time.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    I am type II. Was heavily medicated. Lost 90lbs, no more meds. Still type II, just controlled with diet. Not all can, and those who do, can still end up on meds over time.
    Thanks for this...and thanks to everybody else that has commented,.

Going to see a nutritionist on the 15th. Think I might make some changes, go lighter weight/higher reps, drop about 30-40 pounds and see how I feel. I'm on Metformin right now, goal is to be able to manage this without meds.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Talk to Monekyman. I mean, T-Monkey.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Been type 2 now for 15 years. Im diet controlled. A1C always comes back in the 5's. You can't beat it per say but can control it.
    2012 was a year of on and off training due to miss-hap's. I had broken ribs,pulled something under my shoulder blade. Then had a total hip replacement. Got soft around the edges. Now time for a comeback. 1st year in. So far things are going great!!
    April 11th 2014 double bypass surgery. So another set back grrrrrr.

If The Bar Ain't Bending... You're Just Pretending.

There is no pill or shake. That can replace hard work.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

I was a type II, now the VA Doctors tell me I am no longer diabetic.

A. Realize that the AMA type docs want to treat you, and continue making money. Same applies to the
    American Diabetic/Diabetes Assn, and most dieticians.
    B I am a subscriber to a Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health & Healing news letter. Buy the hard copy, have it delivered to your home and NEVER throw one away. Also buy all his prevent and reverse Diasbetes books, as I did and it really workes if you G.O.Y.A

C. Buy Dr. Neal D. Bernard's (MD) book on Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. It too did
    wonders for me. He ap0pears on Dr. Oz from time to time.

I had one guy say you are still diabetic, but you control it by eating right and you take so damn many vitamins and suplements...... Well when I hear other diabertics tell me they were told to see what I did to get better, that is all the success that anyone needs. If you can, after a healthy breakfast, walk or do someting to burn off the blood sugar you just created. You can do it.
    Do what's right.

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)

Going to see a nutritionist on the 15th. Think I might make some changes, go lighter weight/higher reps, drop about 30-40 pounds and see how I feel. I'm on Metformin right now, goal is to be able to manage this without meds.
    Dont lower weight and raise reps.

Originally Posted by lyle mcdonald
    the primary stimulus for muscle growth is progressive high tension overload (e.g. adding more weight to the bar over time). Without getting into a big old technical discussion of protein synthesis and breakdown here (you can read The Protein Book if you’re interested); I’ll simply say here that the high tension stimulus that builds muscle is the exact same high tension stimulus that will maintain muscle mass when you’re dieting.
    So perhaps you can guess what happens to muscle mass when you reduce weight on the bar to use higher reps and shorter rest intervals. When you remove the high tension stimulus, you remove the signal to build (or in the case of dieting, maintain) muscle mass. What do you think happens next? Right, muscles get smaller.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-1.html

I was diagnosed back in November with a fasting blood glucose of 268 and an a1c level of 11

3 months later I was at 95 and 6.3. Lifting heavy is your friend.

I shed about 45 lbs just eating what I wanted Keto style from 300-255ish. Went off Metformin and ballooned back up to 270. Now I am sitting at about 260. The weight falls off when I am on Metformin.
    Last edited by billb7581; 08-07-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marll is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Just be wary what the nutritionist has to say. I've seen too many times that they will recommend diet with an insane amount of carbs, including sugar, for someone that is diabetic. Many times the goal isn't to heal you, but to keep you on meds and coming back to the doctor regularly.

You'll know right away though if they give you plan that as 100s of grams of carbs per day. Stick to the lower end of the spectrum and you'll be much better off and with lifting and diet can probably get off Metformin eventually.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by Marll View Post
    Just be wary what the nutritionist has to say. I've seen too many times that they will recommend diet with an insane amount of carbs, including sugar, for someone that is diabetic. Many times the goal isn't to heal you, but to keep you on meds and coming back to the doctor regularly.

You'll know right away though if they give you plan that as 100s of grams of carbs per day. Stick to the lower end of the spectrum and you'll be much better off and with lifting and diet can probably get off Metformin eventually.
    I swear those people are insane, my mother in law has type 2 and had a hospital 'nutritionist' (who was a fat woman, obviously) tell her so long as she stayed under 2000 cals a day that was the most important thing, not macros.

OP, just drop to 50 or better still trace carbs. Keep taking metformin because it has lots of positive effects in a low dose, even for non diabetics. Problem solved

jman48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm type 2 diabetic weighed 215 lbs doctors kept increasing insulin to try to control levels wasn't working for me finally said to myself a year ago going to try something new, lose weight eat better. one year later 183 lbs no insulin steady levels. It can be beat with nutrition and exercise but doctors don't try that because so many people want the easy way meds.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I hated Meformin. Very sensitive to fluctuating food intake. FWIW, lots of BBers use it for non-diabetes related purposes. Can't say here though.

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Metformin blunts my appetite. I never really had any other problem with it.

Diabetes class/nutritionist was a waste IMO. Their dietary advice sucked.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    Metformin blunts my appetite.
    imo that's reason enough never to come off! I'm going to ask my HRT doc to get me on it after seeing my mother in laws blood work after taking it for a few months.. she eats pure carbs and hasn't broken sweat since high school gym class - yet her numbers are better than mine!

Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    imo that's reason enough never to come off! I'm going to ask my HRT doc to get me on it after seeing my mother in laws blood work after taking it for a few months.. she eats pure carbs and hasn't broken sweat since high school gym class - yet her numbers are better than mine!

I hated that med. Feel 100x better being off it. JME.

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you have my sympathy and well wishes.
    my wifes on the edge of it,had been trying to diet and excercise for the longest time to keep it at arms length.funny thing is tho her sugars were a little messed so she gained weight.
    now shes on the medicine and lost 15lbs,but doesnt like the side affects.
    she still has a bunch to take off she feels so that she can get off the meds.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart
    i said all the words,mostly.
    member of the crew member crew.

Originally Posted by tomsfish View Post
    you have my sympathy and well wishes.
    my wifes on the edge of it,had been trying to diet and excercise for the longest time to keep it at arms length.funny thing is tho her sugars were a little messed so she gained weight.
    now shes on the medicine and lost 15lbs,but doesnt like the side affects.
    she still has a bunch to take off she feels so that she can get off the meds.
    If she is having GI issues.. .sometimes the extended release metformin can help with that. It's not a bad drug, if you can tolerate it IMO. I still need to drop another 30 or 40 to get off of it though.

The only thing I can think of being useful in a BBing applicaton is that it puts you right back into Ketosis after a carb up, if you are doing a CKD.

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    If she is having GI issues.. .sometimes the extended release metformin can help with that. It's not a bad drug, if you can tolerate it IMO. I still need to drop another 30 or 40 to get off of it though.
    ill mention this to her,thanks.
    asthmatic dumbass crew
    shop smart shop s mart
    i said all the words,mostly.
    member of the crew member crew.

Got my labresults today 101 fasted blood glucose and my a1C was 5.7. Not much in the way of aesthetic gains but my health had improved markedly from lifting