FitParade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Contest prep coach for first time competitor

Hi everyone. I am new to this site . I decided to post here hoping some of the experienced folks can guide me. I am thinking of competing next year in March 2014 and wanted to get your thoughts on when to get a coach. I am a bit nervous since I have never competed before. I am thinking Bikini for now, although in future, I'd love to do figure . Do you guys prefer local coaches or on-line coaches ? I have heard scary stories about coaches and I want to do this right and in a healthy way.
    Also, did you do figure or Bikini for your first competition ?
    If so, please share your experience . Thanks for listening.

Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fitvero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FitParade View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new to this site . I decided to post here hoping some of the experienced folks can guide me. I am thinking of competing next year in March 2014 and wanted to get your thoughts on when to get a coach. I am a bit nervous since I have never competed before. I am thinking Bikini for now, although in future, I'd love to do figure . Do you guys prefer local coaches or on-line coaches ? I have heard scary stories about coaches and I want to do this right and in a healthy way.
    Congrats on your new goal!! I'm thinking doing same thing.. I'm a little nervous with "online coaching" as pictures don't often represent what I really look like!! I'm hoping you'll get some feedback

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think online coaching has the benefit of being completely objective. You don't have as close of a relationship with that person, so you can be a bit more critical when judging their physique. I think a lot of the coaching business gets a bad rap because of the small percentage of coaches that do things wrong. Layne's videos have done a good job of highlighting those people, but the public has also overreacted a lot by assuming that the majority of coaches are bad coaches.

If you're thinking about a March show, you're going to need to have 16-20 weeks for your first prep. That gives you lots of time to adjust and really let your coach figure out how your body responds to different protocols (HIIT cardio vs MISS, low carb vs high carb, etc). So, you're looking at starting a diet in November. If you want your coach to have a better idea of what works for you BEFORE you start your prep, it might be good to start looking for one now and also figuring out what people charge for their services so you can budget more effectively. As far as which division, bikini is a pretty easy way to get your feet wet in bodybuilding shows and I think it can be good for first time competitors. If you end up having too much muscle for bikini, you can adjust your focus for the next competition season and aim for figure.

Feel free to shoot me a PM about coaching.

Originally Posted by Fitvero View Post
    Congrats on your new goal!! I'm thinking doing same thing.. I'm a little nervous with "online coaching" as pictures don't often represent what I really look like!! I'm hoping you'll get some feedback
    I actually find the opposite to be true. Pictures are generally unflattering and present us at less than our best. If you can look amazing and shredded in a picture, you're going to look amazing on stage. Simple as that. If my clients have the ability, I have them send videos in addition to pictures to get a well-rounded assessment of their physique (also helps with assessing their posing).

POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am in a similar boat as you. I am training for my first Men's Physique show in May. I actually went through a pretty arduous process when it came down to hiring a coach and I hired my coach on May 23rd so it was about a year out. Admittedly I knew I probably needed a full year if not more to get in the shape I wanted and to do it right. I started out with about 7-8 people I contacted from references or people I followed and respect their work. I had phone calls or email conversations with all of them and I quickly narrowed it down to 3 coaches. Two were online and one was "local" he is about an hour away so it is still basically on-line. I went with the local coach but it is still primarily on-line, email, text, ********. The only real benefit I get being withing an hours drive is get out to see him about once every two weeks for posing other than that we communicate by email, text or call. Sometimes I will send him pictures if I can't make it out to his gym. i do love going out to the posing practice and even though I am no where contest ready it is great experience getting up on the practice stage with guys who compete on the local and national level and learn from them.

If you are looking for a coach who will also be a "trainer" then you may want a local coach but if you don't need to have a trainer push you then you should feel comfortable hiring an on-line coach. I also agree with redcat pictures are always less flattering than you really look so you won't be deceiving your coach with your pictures.

One thing I would recommend and this falls on you the athlete. When you are meeting with your potential coaches you should come prepared. For lack of a better word you should have a "portfolio" that includes:

Your current workout routine
    ---weights
    ---cardio
    Your current diet. If you know your macros provide that info or provide them with what a sample day of you diet looks like now
    Your current supplements
    Your goals
    Any history of injury
    I also included pictures of where I started and where I was currently at. (I was a major project I spent the 6-8 months prior to hiring a coach getting rid of tons of fat and I had documented the process)

The more information you can provide the better of they will be able to help you.

You may want to go in prepared with a list of questions you want to have answered treat it like an interview. After all you are paying for this service and you should be able to determine before you pay them if you would be comfortable working with them and they know what they are talking about.
    https://www.********.com/ChrisHessMensPhysique
    http://www.rxmuscle.com/blogs/the-life-inspiration-and-dedication/8571-when-are-you-ready-for-the-stage.html
    www.twitter.com/portergolf
    www.instagram.com/portergolf

sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100) sarahbakian is not very well liked. (-100)
    Good Morning!

My name is Sarah Bakian and I am a bikini coach as well as a nationally qualified competitor. If you want more detail, please let me know by emailing me: sarahbakian@gmail.com

jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Coach. Layne norton recommended

Brian Melancon of c620 nutrition. Humble guy, reasonable with prep $ and gets people in awesome shape SAFELY. No water depletion, no diuretics, no hours of cardio. True genius.

c620nutrition dot com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-amateur-of-the-week-iron-workhorse.html

No free lunch here, you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band!

jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdrub will become famous soon enough. (+50)

See what he did for me

Originally Posted by jdrub View Post
    Brian Melancon of c620 nutrition. Humble guy, reasonable with prep $ and gets people in awesome shape SAFELY. No water depletion, no diuretics, no hours of cardio. True genius.

c620nutrition dot com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over...workhorse.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-amateur-of-the-week-iron-workhorse.html

No free lunch here, you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band!

Jersey7177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jersey7177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bikini Coach!

Just saw your post and I'd love to bring you on my team! I'm a Pro NGA & Natl. NPC bikini competitor, trainer, BS in bio, and also work for Cellucor so I have much experience and knowledge beyond most coaches. It's all about understanding everyone's body works differently and truly understanding the body. My rates are very reasonable and I'm available anytime. Please feel free to contact me here, via email at shreddedbarbie@gmail.com, or kik at shreddedbarbie.

Hope to speak with you soon!
    Thanks.

NicXtine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by POrtergolf View Post
    I am in a similar boat as you. I am training for my first Men's Physique show in May. I actually went through a pretty arduous process when it came down to hiring a coach and I hired my coach on May 23rd so it was about a year out. Admittedly I knew I probably needed a full year if not more to get in the shape I wanted and to do it right. I started out with about 7-8 people I contacted from references or people I followed and respect their work. I had phone calls or email conversations with all of them and I quickly narrowed it down to 3 coaches. Two were online and one was "local" he is about an hour away so it is still basically on-line. I went with the local coach but it is still primarily on-line, email, text, ********. The only real benefit I get being withing an hours drive is get out to see him about once every two weeks for posing other than that we communicate by email, text or call. Sometimes I will send him pictures if I can't make it out to his gym. i do love going out to the posing practice and even though I am no where contest ready it is great experience getting up on the practice stage with guys who compete on the local and national level and learn from them.

If you are looking for a coach who will also be a "trainer" then you may want a local coach but if you don't need to have a trainer push you then you should feel comfortable hiring an on-line coach. I also agree with redcat pictures are always less flattering than you really look so you won't be deceiving your coach with your pictures.

One thing I would recommend and this falls on you the athlete. When you are meeting with your potential coaches you should come prepared. For lack of a better word you should have a "portfolio" that includes:

Your current workout routine
    ---weights
    ---cardio
    Your current diet. If you know your macros provide that info or provide them with what a sample day of you diet looks like now
    Your current supplements
    Your goals
    Any history of injury
    I also included pictures of where I started and where I was currently at. (I was a major project I spent the 6-8 months prior to hiring a coach getting rid of tons of fat and I had documented the process)

The more information you can provide the better of they will be able to help you.

You may want to go in prepared with a list of questions you want to have answered treat it like an interview. After all you are paying for this service and you should be able to determine before you pay them if you would be comfortable working with them and they know what they are talking about.
    Can you tell me who your coach is? I'm not far from Marietta and am looking for someone that I can meet in person and who can attend my show with me. I am planning to compete for the first time early 2014. Thanks!

bhayes2620 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This thread is a little old so I'm not sure if I will get a response. But I just decided I want to compete in a bikini competition as well and I am looking for a coach. I don't mind if the coach is online or in person, I am from Milwaukee, WI. If anyone knows of a good online coach that is affordable please let me know!

JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JuicedSFGUY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Coach

I provide online and person coaching. I do customized meal plans every week, write workouts for you and cardio. Also give supplementation advice for an extremely low rate. xtremefitnessnc.com