Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Sorinex Base Camp Scout vs Dark Horse

I am looking at the two racks for my home garage gym build. I have searched craigslist long enough and I am almost ready to just purchase one retail. I first thought the Dark Horse was a smaller 3x3 foot rack but read the specs wrong so now I am to believe that both the horse and the scout are both 42" from post to post. Both the horse and scout both say 3x3 11 gauge so I also assume that they are made of the same metal or is the scout made of higher strength? I see that the scout is four inches taller than the horse but both would be fine since my ceiling is 11ft tall. I realize the scout has holes on all sides but wouldn't that make the metal actually weaker? I have a drill press I could drill holes in the horse where needed for attachments if I decided on the horse (not worried it the warranty is voided). Is there any other difference that makes the scout $650 more ? I want to buy "the right rack the first time" and not ever worry about wanting upgrading it in the future. I have $2000 budgeted for the rack. Is there anything that Rogue offers that I should be looking at also or any other worthy racks?

I still have a few local used commercial local stores to check out that sell closed gym equipment so if they have something at a great deal then that is still an option.

Thanks for reading!

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I tried to round up a bunch of racks for around 2K

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...000+power+rack

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KJ4GR View Post
    I am looking at the two racks for my home garage gym build. I have searched craigslist long enough and I am almost ready to just purchase one retail. I first thought the Dark Horse was a smaller 3x3 foot rack but read the specs wrong so now I am to believe that both the horse and the scout are both 42" from post to post. Both the horse and scout both say 3x3 11 gauge so I also assume that they are made of the same metal or is the scout made of higher strength? I see that the scout is four inches taller than the horse but both would be fine since my ceiling is 11ft tall. I realize the scout has holes on all sides but wouldn't that make the metal actually weaker? I have a drill press I could drill holes in the horse where needed for attachments if I decided on the horse (not worried it the warranty is voided). Is there any other difference that makes the scout $650 more ? I want to buy "the right rack the first time" and not ever worry about wanting upgrading it in the future. I have $2000 budgeted for the rack. Is there anything that Rogue offers that I should be looking at also or any other worthy racks?

I still have a few local used commercial local stores to check out that sell closed gym equipment so if they have something at a great deal then that is still an option.

Thanks for reading!
    So many great racks in that range! Used commercial is best - I have a half lob on for Power Lift racks. I personally have a Hammer Strength. But anything commercial with those style safeties would be my first choice (used of course). For that budget, if you go new, you may consider the Elite FTS 3x3 BYO rack. It is beautiful and well constructed. Rogue has the R6, but I'm not in love with their racks. Good, just not my first rack choice with that sort of budget. Keep us posted - I love me some gym pr0n of quality equipment.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are significant diminishing returns on high price racks. You should be able to find a rock sold, used commercial grade unit for under $1000. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend $2000 on a power rack. That extra $1000 could be used wisely in so many other ways.

If you prefer new, you should do yourself a favor, and contact both Promaxima and Williams Strength. Both companies will give you more for your money than Rogue and Sorinex (The Dark Horse being the exception). You should be able to get a full commercial grade rack from either company for $1300 or less. My Texas Power Rack from Promaxima would be considered "light commercial" (11g steel) in my eyes, and it ran me just $856 to my door, with extra bar hooks and custom height adjustment.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 08-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post
    There are significant diminishing returns on high price racks. You should be able to find a rock sold, commercial grade unit for under $1000. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend $2000 on a power rack. That extra $1000 could be used wisely in so many other ways.

If you prefer new, you should do yourself a favor, and contact both Promaxima and Williams Strength. Both companies will give you more for your money than Rogue and Sorinex (The Dark Horse being the exception). You should be able to get a full commercial grade rack from either company for $1300 or less. My Texas Power Rack from Promaxima would be considered "light commercial" (11g steel) in my eyes, and it ran me just $856 to my door, with extra bar hooks and custom height adjustment.
    you see that as light commercial? lol that thing look looks like a beast.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have the Sorinex XL and I think I paid around $1800 for the rack, landmine, and solid swing in safeties. The XL is 3x3 with 11 gauge, I don't feel like me and 3 of my workout partners could come close to pushing it to the max weight. It's rock solid. Like Paulie said, that is a sh!t ton of money to spend on a rack, but I had been eye balling that booger for a long time and I wanted to make one purchase and be happy. The only thing I wish the rack had was numbered uprights, with all those holes it can get confusing. (insert joke) The base camp comes standard with laser engraved uprights, so that's a plus.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    you see that as light commercial? lol that thing look looks like a beast.
    It is a beast, and I'll never need anything more bulletproof. However, it still is 11g. Opinions may differ, but I don't consider anything full commercial unless it's 7g.

irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500) irongym is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If 7 gauge steel is required for equipment to be considered commercial then there are only a few individual pieces out there. Basically for hammer strength the only commercial piece they make with 7 gauge are their big power racks...

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There are significant diminishing returns on high price racks. You should be able to find a rock sold, commercial grade unit for under $1000. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend $2000 on a power rack. That extra $1000 could be used wisely in so many other ways.

^this x a lot.

Even if I won the lottery I don't think I would get a $2k rack, just don't see the value there. I'd rather have a milder rack and spend the extra on a GHD and a good bar.

That's funny, I can't even remember the going rate for my dream rack, which is the Legend 3141 and the 3215 is another favorite.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the dark horse and have been nothing but pleased, and that was before they added the holes for band pegs. It is PLENTY sturdy.

If you can drill, I don't see what the scout offers you that the dark horse does not, that you couldn't:

A- Modify yourself if you can make new holes yourself, and get new add-ons fabricated by black widow, edge, or another less expensive custom manufacturer. Or....

B- make yourself, or find other easy substitutes, or equipment to accessorize the gym, but not necessarily the rack.

The strap safeties are nice, and available as a dark horse upgrade. I have the pipe pin sabers, and they are fine for me and my buddies to work out with.
    The plyo box, step up thing could be bought and modified, or you could build a step up box out of plywood.

I just wouldn't buy a power rack because of a step up attachment...

Originally Posted by irongym View Post
    If 7 gauge steel is required for equipment to be considered commercial then there are only a few individual pieces out there. Basically for hammer strength the only commercial piece they make with 7 gauge are their big power racks...
    That's simply not true. Many of the top tier commercial brands use 7g steel on many of their pieces. Maybe my standards are high, but if I'm putting a rack in a commercial gym, where free weights are actually used often, I don't want racks made from 11g. For home use, they are more than fine.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ... if I'm putting a rack in a commercial gym, where free weights are actually used often...
    I've never seen this phenomenon in a commercial gym.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    I've never seen this phenomenon in a commercial gym.
    Unfortunately, this is usually the truth. On a positive note and an exception to the rule, I have had the pleasure of training in a couple of gyms that were primarily lifting gyms. The shock and awe of it.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 08-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.

KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for all the replies! I am gonna keep checking the local area for a used commercial rack. My 2K budget is the max I am willing to spend on a rack but I priced the dark horse with straps safeties, square spotters and shipping for about $1400. I would really like a rack that accept the strap safeties.

MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MNRider008 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is pretty helpful (obviously along with the power rack sticky). I'll be in the market for a power rack within the year and I still haven't identified my dream rack. Still evolving

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am curious as to why you want the strap safeties and the square spotter safeties?

I would assume you would only need one set of safeties unless you were doing isometric pin pulls or something.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i think even 11ga is heavier than most of us will ever need. But we have egos to feed And some of us just like nice stuff.

I've seen cheap weider racks used for years by big dudes without falling apart.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    i think even 11ga is heavier than most of us will ever need. But we have egos to feed And some of us just like nice stuff.

I've seen cheap weider racks used for years by big dudes without falling apart.
    those old Yorks made with channel seem to be holding up well too
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by scottofio View Post
    I am curious as to why you want the strap safeties and the square spotter safeties?

I would assume you would only need one set of safeties unless you were doing isometric pin pulls or something.
    i agree. i've got both and i end up using the straps, exclusively. the sorinex square spotters are also good as a dip station if you have utility pins, but i end up just using rings for that. the straps are just easier to adjust and i like that there's no bounce effect if i drop too low on a rep.

i'd just keep shopping and at some point, you'll know what's important to you. to some, 4-way holes on each post is important for the versatility and to others, a homemade wood rack with 4 holes total is enough. OP is already clearly steering clear of crap-class equipment and so whatever you get will be plenty strong.

So is the dark horse 42" between front & back post and also 42" between front left and right post?

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So is the dark horse 42" between front & back post and also 42" between front left and right post?
    No, 42" inside left to right and 30" inside front to back.

Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    No, 42" inside left to right and 30" inside front to back.
    OK, so that is what I was getting wrong. The scout is 42" deep and the DH is 30". I was puzzled why the price was so much more but now i realize there is a 12" difference.

owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    11g is plently for anyone imo, i cant ever see an 11g rack failing unless a joint is welded badly or it has inadaquet jhooks/safetys.

that being said im making mine out of 5mm thick 3x3 lol just 'cus it cost me next to nothing though.
    Last edited by owasM; 08-02-2013 at 05:27 PM.

OK, so that is what I was getting wrong. The scout is 42" deep and the DH is 30". I was puzzled why the price was so much more but now i realize there is a 12" difference.
    I think the specs on the Sorinex site must be incorrect. I've had Dean from BWTG email or call me on a few occasions to confirm DH measurements before he makes up custom items for customers. Good on him for doing so.

Even the Sorinex drawings are incorrect and show a 43" inner width between the uprights (its actually 42").

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    that being said im making mine out of 5mm thick 3x3 lol just 'cus it cost me next to nothing though.
    Is that 6 gauge? ...That might be heavier than any of the commercial racks!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Is that 6 gauge? ...That might be heavier than any of the commercial racks!
    its around 6/7g, 5mm seems to be inbetween the two.

have the choice between 80x80x4mm,75x75mmx5mm or 70x70x3mm, all costing around $4 for 10/13ft lengths, still undecided on which will be best to use.

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    its around 6/7g, 5mm seems to be inbetween the two.

have the choice between 80x80x4mm,75x75mmx5mm or 70x70x3mm, all costing around $4 for 10/13ft lengths, still undecided on which will be best to use.
    I can barely get 2x4 lumber for that price

I wonder why the Base camp scout and the Rogue RM-4 is the same price shipped? The rogue I priced was 108" tall (the one I priced) while the scout is 94" tall. The RM-4 is also 7 gauge. 7 Gauge is way overkill but if I was to lean toward on the scout, I might get the RM-4 instead. I don't see many reviews on the rogue rack, I guess price and need play a big factor in it. Both the RM-4 and Base Camp Scout is $1780 shipped, I think I would have to pickup the Rogue but UPS & Fex-ex are about 5 minutes from my house. The dark horse is $1310 shipped with straps and no square safety so for @ $450 I could get a overkill "I will pass this rack down to my grand kids" rack.

Still checking craigslist multiple time daily and still searching for that pennies on the dollar rack out there!

I wonder why the Base camp scout and the Rogue RM-4 is the same price shipped? The rogue I priced was 108" tall (the one I priced) while the scout is 94" tall. The RM-4 is also 7 gauge. 7 Gauge is way overkill but if I was to lean toward on the scout, I might get the RM-4 instead. I don't see many reviews on the rogue rack, I guess price and need play a big factor in it. Both the RM-4 and Base Camp Scout is $1780 shipped, I think I would have to pickup the Rogue but UPS & Fex-ex are about 5 minutes from my house. The dark horse is $1310 shipped with straps and no square safety so for @ $450 I could get a overkill "I will pass this rack down to my grand kids" rack.

Still checking craigslist multiple time daily and still searching for that pennies on the dollar rack out there!
    The Rogue is a good option if you are putting it in a basement and need something that bolts together and comes apart for easier transport, and the abundance of Rogue accessories is also a plus. I still prefer a welded rack where possible.

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    just a heads up but sorinex has a 6-8 week backlog right now. Something to consider the longer you wait to place your order.

I have the dark horse and absolutely love it.