nsff2001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I need help getting motivated.

Does anyone have advice on how to get motivated when lonely. I love to hike and be active, however over the last few months (after losing a job) being motivated has been hard. I dont have a group I exercise with and am not interested in joining classes.
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    -Brianna

BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrunoChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nsff2001 View Post
    Does anyone have advice on how to get motivated when lonely. I love to hike and be active, however over the last few months (after losing a job) being motivated has been hard. I dont have a group I exercise with and am not interested in joining classes.
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    -Brianna
    Motivated to do what? Go to the gym? Hike? I was a seasonal employee for a long time and would get 1-2 months off in the spring and the fall. I set a goal for something I liked. I love hiking...I wanted to hike every trail on the front range in Colorado. So I did it in the Spring. That set me up to plan a backpacking trip on the CD in the fall. Which I did. Motivation for the gym? Well, if you like going to the gym, set a goal. Whether it be you want to lift a certain amount of weight or be able to do a million hours of cardio without stopping. Pick a goal, challenge yourself and do it. Without a goal you will find the temptation of quitting too easy.

So...set a goal, challenge yourself, do it...

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sometimes you have to force yourself to do something, like exercise, because it will make you feel better afterwards. It's hard to tell how big an issue your lack of motivation is from your post, but mentioning loneliness and the fact that you lost your job makes me wonder if you have depression. It would definitely be worth having a chat with your doctor and finding out if you need medical help. Antidepressants get a lot of bad press, but I wouldn't be here without them and - if your doctor decides you need them - they can give you that tiny nudge of motivation to get exercising again. Some form of therapy or counselling may be helpful too - see your doctor.

The good news is, I find that exercise improves my mood and each session motivates me to do the next. Especially now I'm focusing on resitance workouts again. I know it's easier said than done, but even a gentle walk will release endorphins and make you a little happier and more motivated. I was sceptical before I tried regular exercise and didn't fully realise its positive impact until my treadmill broke and I couldn't exercise for a while (I have bad anxiety, as well as depression, so do the bulk of my exercise at home).

That reminds me of another tip - having what you need to exercise at home can help with motivation, since it minimises the effort needed to exercise. You don't need loads of equipment, though having my own treadmill, exercise bike and weights has helped immensely. However, if you would like equipment and money is tight (I'm guessing it probably is, if you're out of work) you might find some on the internet for little/no money. My friend got an exercise bike that way!

Most of all, be kind to yourself and find what motivates you without making you feel bad. For me, now I'm ready to change my body in a positive way after years of abusing it, reading transformations on this site and others has been a huge motivation. Ditto reading about fitness models and competitors, since I want to improve all aspects of my fitness, including cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and endurance. Reading fitness magazines and books may also help. You could even put a picture of your ideal body in a prominent place. Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope things get better soon.

ldeford has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've found just being here on the BB site is very motivating.. there are a lot of people that will lift your spirits and help you through down days. In comparison to FB which I do still love just because it keeps me connected to lots of family and friends the BB site and friends you pick up on here are very supportive and are very like minded when it comes to fitness and health. I would suggest picking one of their awesome programs and give that a try. I'm a home gym fitness person and don't do well with exercise videos so I just print off the workout sheets and just go day by day..

MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100)
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    -Brianna
    My only advise is not to be motivated, and dont search motivation.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    -Brianna
    Motivation sometimes ebbs like that. It's ok to take a break and focus on other things for a bit. I think hiking is an excellent way to clear the mind though - whether solo or with a group. I have started hiking groups via Craigslist before, and it's nice to have company.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000) bizarrosaurus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TigerAngelLeigh View Post
    Sometimes you have to force yourself to do something, like exercise, because it will make you feel better afterwards. It's hard to tell how big an issue your lack of motivation is from your post, but mentioning loneliness and the fact that you lost your job makes me wonder if you have depression. It would definitely be worth having a chat with your doctor and finding out if you need medical help. Antidepressants get a lot of bad press, but I wouldn't be here without them and - if your doctor decides you need them - they can give you that tiny nudge of motivation to get exercising again. Some form of therapy or counselling may be helpful too - see your doctor.

The good news is, I find that exercise improves my mood and each session motivates me to do the next. Especially now I'm focusing on resitance workouts again. I know it's easier said than done, but even a gentle walk will release endorphins and make you a little happier and more motivated. I was sceptical before I tried regular exercise and didn't fully realise its positive impact until my treadmill broke and I couldn't exercise for a while (I have bad anxiety, as well as depression, so do the bulk of my exercise at home).

That reminds me of another tip - having what you need to exercise at home can help with motivation, since it minimises the effort needed to exercise. You don't need loads of equipment, though having my own treadmill, exercise bike and weights has helped immensely. However, if you would like equipment and money is tight (I'm guessing it probably is, if you're out of work) you might find some on the internet for little/no money. My friend got an exercise bike that way!

Most of all, be kind to yourself and find what motivates you without making you feel bad. For me, now I'm ready to change my body in a positive way after years of abusing it, reading transformations on this site and others has been a huge motivation. Ditto reading about fitness models and competitors, since I want to improve all aspects of my fitness, including cardiovascular, strength, flexibility and endurance. Reading fitness magazines and books may also help. You could even put a picture of your ideal body in a prominent place. Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope things get better soon.
    Excellent post. My biggest motivation is knowing how great I'll feel after working out, especially on lazy or down days. I'll force myself to lift anyway and after my first set I'll already feel ten times better. When first working out, I had trouble finding motivation and determination to follow a consistent routine. I didn't get all the fuss about endorphins and whatnot, but after around a month or two I was addicted and it does lift my mood, which will be the motivation itself for my next workout. It can be harder to get your butt off the couch when you're at home and unemployed, than when you come home from a busy day, as odd as that may seem (and it differs from person to person of course). But it is extra important to get your energy levels up so you don't become lethargic.

Having a goal and/or plan also helps. If you love hiking, search a beautiful hiking path you can follow and maybe you'll find it enjoyable walking on your own. Otherwise you could try looking on the internet if there are any hiking groups where you live. If you want to start lifting, buy some cheap and basic equipment and you will probably prefer lifting on your own.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and it'll sort itself out.

CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    "You never want to fail because you didn't work hard enough" -Arnold Schwarzenegger

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    It was initially difficult for me to stay motivated, plus I wasn't quite sure of what exercises to do, so I got a personal trainer. Now that I've become much stronger, I'm motivated enough on my own to continue diligently working out on my own. If I were to stop at this point, I'd lose all the strength that I've worked so hard to gain!
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRFit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I definitely find it easier to stay motivated when I have set a goal. I often pick some small things like local 5km fun runs but I also try and pick 4 big things a year that really require a lot of focus and dedication. For example this year I picked an Ironman, a marathon, an ocean swim and I am now picking my fourth (Not that you need to pick big events to be motivated! It is just what has worked for me, a 5km fun run a couple of years ago was a big event for me )I have found that doing different things helps me enjoy the journey as well as feel great when I have accomplished my goal. When I picked my swim and Ironman I could barely swim one length of a pool! So the challenge of learning a new skill helped get me up and out of the house

I hope you find your motivation and rekindle your love of hiking soon
    Love to LIFT :)

www.iwantmore.com.au - for free exercise videos
    www.proteinpowderforwomensite.com - for free info on protein

sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what mountain are you on in your avi?
    ت