LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Can't squat properly, but can do bodyweight?

Hey guys, I'm new here just signed up, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem..

I can squat with bodyweight, easily ass to grass. But if I take a bar onto my back, I can't even go 90 degrees.
    If I try to sit down in the squat position and then take the bar on my back, It wont allow my arms to go far enough back, I can't even straighten out my arms as if I were to do a lateral delt raise. And please notice that I can do a bodyweight squat with perfect form.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LeanAsFuark View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new here just signed up, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem..

I can squat with bodyweight, easily ass to grass. But if I take a bar onto my back, I can't even go 90 degrees.
    If I try to sit down in the squat position and then take the bar on my back, It wont allow my arms to go far enough back, I can't even straighten out my arms as if I were to do a lateral delt raise. And please notice that I can do a bodyweight squat with perfect form.
    Can't really help you without some sort of visual. Could be you need to mobilize your shoulders, could be your bw squat form isn't as perfect as you think it is.
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LeanAsFuark is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Na It's perfect, my mate even saw it and said it was so. Back straight, chest out, ass out and slowly go down, feet shoulder width apart, knees facing my toes. But I have slight lordosis not too much, but a little, barely noticeable.
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Can't really help you without some sort of visual. Could be you need to mobilize your shoulders, could be your bw squat form isn't as perfect as you think it is.

Bump, please anyone if you know anything, help would be much appreciated..
    Last edited by LeanAsFuark; 07-29-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Anyone?
    dl 180kg
    s 150kg
    b 112.5kg/102.5kg x5

My lifting log: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166940041

applepie12321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lean further forward? as in your upper body

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone?
    Maybe try with something less than 20 kg Olympic bar? Like small 10 kg bars if you gym has them. Practice brah, practice.
    S120kg/B97.5kg/D140kg/OHP62kg
    My training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150869353

The bar I was talking about was simply a wooden stick.. I can't do the back squat as soon as it engages that my shoulders go backwards. I can take a dumbbell on my back aslong as my elbows are infront of me, I can still manage to perform perfect form squats.
    Originally Posted by tazui1982 View Post
    Maybe try with something less than 20 kg Olympic bar? Like small 10 kg bars if you gym has them. Practice brah, practice.
    dl 180kg
    s 150kg
    b 112.5kg/102.5kg x5

When I do that I just really feel it in my upper hamstrings, and still can't go below 90 degrees.
    Originally Posted by applepie12321 View Post
    lean further forward? as in your upper body
    dl 180kg
    s 150kg
    b 112.5kg/102.5kg x5

cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How about front squats

I can do those too, it's basically as soon as my shoulder blades goes towards eachother that I can't go further down than 90 degrees without falling
    Originally Posted by cha89 View Post
    How about front squats
    dl 180kg
    s 150kg
    b 112.5kg/102.5kg x5

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tidnab View Post
    Originally Posted by cha89 View Post
    How about front squats
    There's your best advice based on your description without a video of what's going on.

Na It's perfect, my mate even saw it and said it was so. Back straight, chest out, ass out and slowly go down, feet shoulder width apart, knees facing my toes. But I have slight lordosis not too much, but a little, barely noticeable.
    There are a lot of people around the place who think they know what "perfect" technique looks like, who are also wrong. As a matter of fact, having "perfect" in the vocabulary you use to describe technique is usually a sign that you don't know what good technique looks like, or what deviations from it look like.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Okay, then do something else. Let's say I don't have perfect form, that still doesn't explain how I can't do back squats, yet I can do bodyweight squats and front squats. As soon as I go to about 100-110 degrees during the back squat, I just can't go further down without falling backwards.
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    There's your best advice based on your description without a video of what's going on.

There are a lot of people around the place who think they know what "perfect" technique looks like, who are also wrong. As a matter of fact, having "perfect" in the vocabulary you use to describe technique is usually a sign that you don't know what good technique looks like, or what deviations from it look like.
    dl 180kg
    s 150kg
    b 112.5kg/102.5kg x5

HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000) HarryFlashman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to lean forward at the bottom. You've been told this already. If you try and stay completely upright, you'll fall over.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A

Vid

You're going to make everyone just play guessing games with you otherwise.

Post a vid of doing them with just bodyweight and then with the bar and we'll
    be able to see what's going on and maybe point you in the right direction.

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The bar I was talking about was simply a wooden stick.. I can't do the back squat as soon as it engages that my shoulders go backwards. I can take a dumbbell on my back aslong as my elbows are infront of me, I can still manage to perform perfect form squats.
    Well , post a video with your wooden stick back squat, many people here have been squatting more than average person, they will be able to tell you what's going wrong. And, change the mind set too if you can't squat that means you don't have a perfect form, even people like Dmitry Klokov are humble when it comes to their squats.
    S120kg/B97.5kg/D140kg/OHP62kg
    My training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150869353