jaigordon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shaping uneven triceps

I am looking for some advice as to a chest and tricep routine that will reshape an uneven/oddly shaped left tricep.

I have only been working out seriously, on and off, for two years. But played a lot of sports all my life mostly hockey (LH), golf(RH), and baseball(RH), which i attribute the shape of my left tricep to. From what i can tell, it is the brachii lateral of my left arm that is oversized and does not form the same v shape that i have on my right. I mostly played a lot of golf, like everyday for about 8 years. And then spent the rest of my time working on my slap shot.

My concern is that when doing chest exercises, such as dumbell press or even bench, that i am using too much tri and not enough chest. Now that i am working out consistently, it seems to only be exaggerating the disproportionate shape. Could someone recommend a chest and tri routine that might help to correct this problem.

Do you recommend using dumbells, which i mostly do, or moving to bench only. How can i isolate the chest better? do i want a more narrow grip?

Should i start doing all my tricep exercises single armed?

ps. i have tried slowing my lifts and concentrating on form.

williaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jaigordon View Post
    I am looking for some advice as to a chest and tricep routine that will reshape an uneven/oddly shaped left tricep.

I have only been working out seriously, on and off, for two years. But played a lot of sports all my life mostly hockey (LH), golf(RH), and baseball(RH), which i attribute the shape of my left tricep to. From what i can tell, it is the brachii lateral of my left arm that is oversized and does not form the same v shape that i have on my right. I mostly played a lot of golf, like everyday for about 8 years. And then spent the rest of my time working on my slap shot.

My concern is that when doing chest exercises, such as dumbell press or even bench, that i am using too much tri and not enough chest. Now that i am working out consistently, it seems to only be exaggerating the disproportionate shape. Could someone recommend a chest and tri routine that might help to correct this problem.

Do you recommend using dumbells, which i mostly do, or moving to bench only. How can i isolate the chest better? do i want a more narrow grip?

Wider grip on the bench press puts more focus on the chest. Close grip is more triceps and inner chest. I would recommend dumbell pressing for the bulk of your chest routine. Don't forget incline presses as well. As far as the triceps, you can isolate them one at a time, just make sure to start every tricep exercise with your weak tricep and do the same number of reps on your strong tricep. Eventually they will even out. Hope that helps

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Now that i am working out consistently, it seems to only be exaggerating the disproportionate shape.
    "Seems to be" seems to be the important words here. It seems more likely that the imbalance is becoming less important as the muscles get bigger but that it's not completely vanishing. I'd bet that no one else even notices this imbalance and it is actually quite minor.

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Is this a strength issue or an aesthetic issue?

jaigordon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DrJKiel View Post
    Is this a strength issue or an aesthetic issue?
    both actually. im really only working out for health and appearance.

I just tried doing a few sets of single arm pull downs, at he very end of my usual cheest and tri routine, and i could push out about four more reps with my left than my right so there is a significant strength difference. I will definitely start isolating and beginning with the weaker arm, and not doing more reps with my left than my right. Thanks williaf

And thanks davidolson, you're probably right. it's not the end of the world, and i'm sure they will come around with time.

But if there is any other general advice, perhaps specific exercises?? I'm all for learning and getting the most out of my workouts.

Thanks everyone.

Registered User OptimalHealth13's Avatar
    OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OptimalHealth13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do some unilateral tricep exercises. one arm cable press downs are great. also if you do your weaker side first you will be surprised how even the amount of reps you get are