SunGod84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto Bulk with Madcow 5x5

I have been on a CKD for the last month or so and have been fairly successful. I decided I wanted to put on some mass and get stronger. I started bulking and chose the Madcow 5x5 as my program. This first week I have noticed that my body fat has gone up about a percent without much in the way of muscle gains. I understand that about .5lbs a week is about the top for muscle gain. I am also wondering if I haven't hit sufficient stress on my body with the workout yet. I have just started so I am working up to my 5RM. Technically I am lifting lighter than normal as well as dropping from my original 4 day split to a 3 day split. I am currently doing 3 days of HIIT training. Should I up the cardio in the initial run up to my 5RM? Will I start to see more efficient results with the program once I start really lifting heavy?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Learn from your mistakes lucidz's Avatar
    lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SunGod84 View Post
    I have been on a CKD for the last month or so and have been fairly successful. I decided I wanted to put on some mass and get stronger. I started bulking and chose the Madcow 5x5 as my program. This first week I have noticed that my body fat has gone up about a percent without much in the way of muscle gains. I understand that about .5lbs a week is about the top for muscle gain. I am also wondering if I haven't hit sufficient stress on my body with the workout yet. I have just started so I am working up to my 5RM. Technically I am lifting lighter than normal as well as dropping from my original 4 day split to a 3 day split. I am currently doing 3 days of HIIT training. Should I up the cardio in the initial run up to my 5RM? Will I start to see more efficient results with the program once I start really lifting heavy?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
    You are only noticing changes within a week period of time? Are you sure its fat and not just water retention or bloat? That commonly occurs going from a deficit to a surplus.
    Its not how strong you are, its how good your aim is from 500 yards.

SunGod84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it has only been a week. I am trying not to panic too much as I am committed to bulking and to this program for its duration. It very well may be that it is water weight. I had considered the possibility that it was bloat. I have been doing keto for a while but wasn't sure if I had ever fully fat adapted since I actually did refeeds after the first week. My goal is to stay in keto for a few weeks to see if there is a significant difference. I have been drinking a large amount of fluid (100-130oz) daily. I am at eating over 3000 calories (~180g protein, ~40g carbs, the rest from fat)

ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My bf% went up 2%... and once again it went up 2%
    but mine was because i got out of ketosis to bulk up
    BULKING - Aug 20-2016 (74kg)-Jan 1, 2017 (85kg)
    (Aug 30, 2016-Jan 1, 2017:)Deadlift: 231-303 Squat: 214-263 Bench: 174-198 lbs OHP: 104.5-134 Pendlay Row: 115-154
    ---------------------------------------
    ☆★ Victory loves Preparation ★☆
    ---------------------------------------

Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100)
    Sooooooo.. you're trying to gain mass muscle while on a deficit. Good luck with that.

technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10) technifish is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In on your results sungod...keep us posted!