Page 75 of 124 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3702
    Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That was a good move to do the walkout and then go for the 4th set of squats .. I'm always amazed at how light anything feels when you've shocked the CNS with a heavy BB on your shoulders. I looked at the vids before I read the commentary and when I saw that last vid I was thinking that you really bombed down into those squats and got some great rebound happening and showed no sign of stalling on the way up. When I read it then it was good to see that it was a conscious decision
    Another great effort
    Legs and ass are starting to look really thick btw
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When the squatting comes I know I feel alive,
    Failing will be the last thing on my mind,
    All to depth, do you know what that means?

Bounce!

(Sung to Calvin Harris)

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've put my 225 squat goal on the shelf for now but that's a great idea when the time comes.

It's probably my inexperience showing here but rep 1 of that set you thought was terrible looked good to me. It didn't seem shallow, seemed parallel. Am I missing something?

Monster work as always anyway with the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looked tough but you survived

Great intestinal fortitude to bang out those sets. Lol@ you laughing at the weight on the bar after the lift off.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very Nice! Mental toughness for sure. I would have never thought of doing a walkout midway through a progression, But I sure might give that a try next time when the bar is feeling heavier than normal. Way to get back after it. Likely not a lot of people adding sets to smolov....

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Dropped into the hole with a bit of purpose, and hey, I popped back out again.

Pleased as hell to have worked out where I was going wrong as I got tired, and also that I persuaded myself to throw myself back in the ring.

Did some Kroc rows and face pulls, but now I really was pretty spent.
    Nice work!
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    foundah you know i watch your videos on youtubes, right? i subscribed a while ago. your journal is crazy busy, but i wanted to pop in and say "You are a BAMF."

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Smolov starts tailing off soon before the new max test day, and I think this is about the toughest session left. The main course was 4 x 3 x 147.5kg (325lb).

Working sets

3 x 100kg (220lb). Easy enough.

3 x 120kg (264lb). Likewise.

3 x 132.5kg (292lb). OK that was actually pretty easy. Progress.

Set 1.
    3 x 147.5kg. Felt no temptation to bump to 150kg today with 4 sets required. 4 sets would be quite tough enough. Determined to focus today on driving the chest up and driving through with the hips.

[youtube]-PiyjuWiib4[youtube]

Well, depth was better than the 3 x 150kg - these were all to parallel. The last rep was a grinder and a bit of a GM. But generally better I thought.

Set 2.

This set was tough. Rep 2 came up ever so slowly, and I very nearly missed rep 3. Made it up after what seemed like about 10 minutes...

Set 3.

Rep 2 was a grinder. Failed on rep 3.

Set 4.

I went to unrack for set 4, and it just felt really heavy. In order to teach myself to be less of a pussy, I loaded an extra 80kg to do a walkout. Ha, I wasn't walking anywhere with it. Could barely unrack it (220kg (484lb))

MIssion accomplished though. 147.5kg felt light

Failed at rep 3 again. Figured "oh well, all I had". I was beat.

Then I watched the video. These reps were horrible. They were really shallow, and I was basically tentatively going down until I got to near depth, then slowly driving up. They looked almost like paused reps.

At that moment a big shiny lightbulb came on. THEY LOOK LIKE FECKING PAUSED REPS. I'm trying to pause-rep 147.5kg. What a twat. I have been telling myself that as I get tired my depth suffers. Sure it does, but it is because I know that I am tired, and so I start feeling down slowly towards depth, which means I get no bounce at all. If I dropped straight to depth, I would get much more drive out of the hole, and then not get stuck.

If only I wasn't spent so that I could immediately test this theory.

Hang on, if the theory is right, maybe I can get some more reps even though I thought I was spent. Buckle up baby. We're going back in.

Unplanned Set 5

Dropped into the hole with a bit of purpose, and hey, I popped back out again.

Pleased as hell to have worked out where I was going wrong as I got tired, and also that I persuaded myself to throw myself back in the ring.

Did some Kroc rows and face pulls, but now I really was pretty spent.

Got no gifs for you tonight mate sorry. Was wanting to pop in here all day as I was out when you posted the workout.

I got a question mate.

You know the other day when you said about widening your stance? Well looks like you were rather close on that first vid. Not the stupidly knee caving I would of died unrack of peace. But the other vid where you failed.

Did you change up again?

Then I watched the last vid and props for going for it again after the lightbulb moment. You sure your managing to stay awake each day after this lot? Because I know I would be falling asleep about 2pm onwards. My body would be in pieces with all the squatting.

Finally. What you testing the end of Smolov with?

Again, myron the determination and enthusiasm mate. I can't really say more without seeming to repeat myself though.
    Ride it like you just stole it.

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice session Flounder....I have to learn to not be tentative on the way down just controlled so I can get that bounce.....So I see you added an extra set to your workout....smolov not tough enough for ya....Didn't you just pull my chain for doing 10 reps on my last set of bench then I come here and you're doing extra sets....

You're a great example of not letting yourself get in the way....
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Dood I m now an envious and jelly fan of your squat vids as well. Fantastic work, you are a fearless beast. Motivated me to squat haaard next session!!!!
    Cheers Shawn! Fear is overrated. Though I have to say I would welcome a spotter for when I retest my max in ten days...

Originally Posted by SteveWright1 View Post
    excellent session and nicely written account Flounderbout
    you laughed at 484 for walkout which was great - a great CNS workout in it's own right in my experience
    good job on the additional triple at 147.5kg (324.5lbs) good to prove a theory and even better to have worked out why you had failed
    (seems ironic that I put the words squat, 320 plus pounds and failed in the same sentence- but you know what I mean)
    there is no fail when you are beyond 3 pps for squatting - there is only varying degrees of success
    Thanks Steve. I had to laugh at the walkout - it felt just so ridiculously heavy - the thought that people squat nearly double that just makes me SMFH...!

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    That was a good move to do the walkout and then go for the 4th set of squats .. I'm always amazed at how light anything feels when you've shocked the CNS with a heavy BB on your shoulders. I looked at the vids before I read the commentary and when I saw that last vid I was thinking that you really bombed down into those squats and got some great rebound happening and showed no sign of stalling on the way up. When I read it then it was good to see that it was a conscious decision
    Another great effort
    Legs and ass are starting to look really thick btw ; )
    Yep, my ass is getting fat... It's the B&J shakes I've invented... Going down into the squat with conviction has made a huge difference. I wish I had a coach like you do to point this stuff out as I go. But you guys are the next best thing, srsly.

Originally Posted by lunchbreak View Post
    When the squatting comes I know I feel alive,
    Failing will be the last thing on my mind,
    All to depth, do you know what that means?

Bounce!

(Sung to Calvin Harris)
    LOL! I don't feel very alive very often any more - more like an extra from "the Squatting Dead"...

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    I've put my 225 squat goal on the shelf for now but that's a great idea when the time comes.
    It's probably my inexperience showing here but rep 1 of that set you thought was terrible looked good to me. It didn't seem shallow, seemed parallel. Am I missing something?
    Monster work as always anyway with the weight of the world on your shoulders.
    Thanks Dave. The first rep wasn't as bad as the others, but it was still a good inch short of parallel. Don't forget it is the hip crease that has to hit level with the knee. Don't want to reignite the whole depth debate though - it just felt liker a horrible tentative set, and driving down with confidence has definitely helped me.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Looked tough but you survived : D

Great intestinal fortitude to bang out those sets. Lol@ you laughing at the weight on the bar after the lift off.
    Cheers John! I really could barely lift it. I do fear that that is partly because of another of my technical flaws, which is a tendency to lean forward in the unrack and generally. I think if I could get more upright before the squat it might help. Problem is if I do I feel unbalanced. Maybe I am just too scrawny to have that much iron on my back... . How the feck people squat >600 and even 800lbs though is just mindboggling.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Very Nice! Mental toughness for sure. I would have never thought of doing a walkout midway through a progression, But I sure might give that a try next time when the bar is feeling heavier than normal. Way to get back after it. Likely not a lot of people adding sets to smolov....: )
    I am not sure it is out of any standard playbook. It just suddenly struck me that the bar was feeling heavier than it should, and I wanted a way to try and get rid of the feeling! Seemed to work OK though!

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks Chris!

Originally Posted by geek23ka View Post
    foundah you know i watch your videos on youtubes, right? i subscribed a while ago. your journal is crazy busy, but i wanted to pop in and say "You are a BAMF."
    Thanks Geek! Nice to see you around here again - I didn't know you watched my Youtube vids. DO they let you unsubscribe after like the 132,000 time another damn squat video pops up... ? I think I am going to get a sign for the gym - BAMF's ONLY...! You are definitely someone who qualifies (as long as you don't add weights to my bar when you work in... )

Originally Posted by doughnutgut View Post
    Got no gifs for you tonight mate sorry. Was wanting to pop in here all day as I was out when you posted the workout.
    I got a question mate. : D
    You know the other day when you said about widening your stance? Well looks like you were rather close on that first vid. Not the stupidly knee caving I would of died unrack of peace. But the other vid where you failed.
    Did you change up again?
    Then I watched the last vid and props for going for it again after the lightbulb moment. You sure your managing to stay awake each day after this lot? Because I know I would be falling asleep about 2pm onwards. My body would be in pieces with all the squatting.
    Finally. What you testing the end of Smolov with?
    Again, myron the determination and enthusiasm mate. I can't really say more without seeming to repeat myself though. : p
    Great spot Doughnut. Yep my stance had drifted in again. I need to keep working to widen it as it drifts in, which I did again today. So many thanks!

As for the test, I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking 170kg to open, and then depending on how that feels a try at 175kg or 180kg. Unless I fail the 170kg of course!

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Nice session Flounder....I have to learn to not be tentative on the way down just controlled so I can get that bounce.....So I see you added an extra set to your workout....smolov not tough enough for ya....Didn't you just pull my chain for doing 10 reps on my last set of bench then I come here and you're doing extra sets....; )

You're a great example of not letting yourself get in the way....
    Thanks Ron! Yeah hypocrisy 'r' us on the extra sets! I did think of that after I did it funnily enough! Needs must though...
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Finish line in sight

So, nearly there. This is one of the two really tough sessions left - the rest are a bit lighter.

3 x 107.5kg. Nice warmup.

4 x 125kg. Likewise, nice loosener...

Main course

5 x 5 x 140kg (308lb)

Last week I got 5, 3, 2, 2, 3 I think. So this time I was peppered to try and get them all.

Set 1

Set 2 was a grinder. Rep 2 I got out of shape and almost reracked. Pulled it back together though and made all 5.

Set 3

Set 4

Made it just. Another 5 in the bag.

Set 5

Made it!!!
    ☻/
    / \

doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) doughnutgut has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Personally. If your gonna go for a 180. I know full well you will kick yourself for not microloading to take it to the 4 hunnerd stage.

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    5 x 5 at 3pps is awesome!
    Of course reps if I wasn't on spread

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That was fantastic, solid squats, incredible power!

Music "i think I am going insane"
    Perfect choice.

My sig has been changed.

All I got for you tonight after that little lot.

SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SlothBane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    5 x 5 3pps squatties with the finish line in sight. The programming of Smolovs is quite interesting as evident from your progression. It will be interesting to see the final numbers, but more so, what will the carry over be concerning DLs.

Anyways, keep at it, as your epic 5 x 5 was well earned.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3 pps squats and sabbath. Can't beat that.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Strong looking squatting FB, great reading you found the courage tapped your stretch reflex. Was on the edge of the seat on that write up. The 5x5 today was awesome man! No suprise I'm always on spread ITT

The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice session Flounder....5 X 5 with that weight is a nice place to be....keep up the hard work....
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Personally. If your gonna go for a 180. I know full well you will kick yourself for not microloading to take it to the 4 hunnerd stage.
    ; )
    LOL - true. But I don't think 180kg is realistic TBH, let alone 180andsome. I'm not even sure I have 170kg. Will not be for lack of trying though!

5 x 5 at 3pps is awesome!
    Of course reps if I wasn't on spread
    Thanks Andrew, thjough it sounds as though you would have had 3pps x 8! Terrifying!

That was fantastic, solid squats, incredible power!
    Cheers Shawn. Not sure about the power. I think I need to work on explosive speed a bit after Smolov is over and get the power on quicker...

Music "i think I am going insane"
    Perfect choice.
    My sig has been changed. : D
    All I got for you tonight after that little lot.
    LOL - now that monkey looks a little more like me than the last one!

Originally Posted by SlothBane View Post
    5 x 5 3pps squatties with the finish line in sight. The programming of Smolovs is quite interesting as evident from your progression. It will be interesting to see the final numbers, but more so, what will the carry over be concerning DLs.
    Anyways, keep at it, as your epic 5 x 5 was well earned.
    Thanks SB. The programming for the intensive phase is certainly different from the base phase. In the base phase there was very rapid and noticeable progression, whereas in the intense phase it is all tough as hell and the progress is in very small increments, so you don't feel as though you are moving along in the same way. One thing that is a bit disconcerting is that the low rep sets don't really give a caluclated 1RM anywhere near where the test 1RM will be. So for example the max sets that I have done are 150kg x 3, which is only a calculated 1RM of 159kg. Yet I will be hoping to hit 170kg. The worrying thing is that 150 x 3 feels tough! I guess that is offset by the fact that I do four sets. SO it is hard to judge where I am really at at the moment. We will see shortly!

As for deads, yes I am keen to see too! Assuming my povvy bench on my fecked shoulder can handle 95kg (please god ), and I can hit a 175kg squat, I need a DL of 184kg to hit 1000lb, which was my goal when I kicked off all of this. So if I can still hit my PR of 190kg without having touched a heavy DL for months, I will be golden. Obviously if I can improve on it than I will comfortably clear the 1000lb, but I am not convinced that my technique is good enough to come back fresh and hit a really big pull from nowhere.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    3 pps squats and sabbath. Can't beat that.
    Cheers Dave! I don't know much about God, but I'm pretty sure that he would have made an exception for squatting and deadlifting on Sundays...

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Strong looking squatting FB, great reading you found the courage tapped your stretch reflex. Was on the edge of the seat on that write up. The 5x5 today was awesome man! No surprise I'm always on spread ITT : p

: D
    Thanks Robert! I'm always on spread with everyone...

Nice session Flounder....5 X 5 with that weight is a nice place to be....keep up the hard work....
    Cheers Ron! Nearly there!
    ☻/
    / \

Three sessions left

Yet more tedious squat vids. Nearly there though! Today's main course was 4 x 3 x 147.5kg (325lb). Then the last really tough session is on Friday: 4 x 140kg (308lb), 3 x 4 x 147.5kg (325lb). And then a light day the following Monday of 4 x 4 x 132.5kg (292lb) before test day next Friday. So close to the finish line.

I figured that I had done 4 x 3 x 147.5kg before, so today was a doddle.

In fact feck it, let's bump it up to 150kg (330lb). (In fact of course I had completely failed to get 4 x 3 x 147.5kg when it last came up, but I had forgotten this!)

Warmups

3 x 107.5kg (237lb)

3 x 125kg (275lb)

Working sets

I know that you lot can't be arsed to watch all of these videos (most watch just the last, and some watch the first too, but hardly anyone watches the middle ones! I know - me too! ), but I have found it useful to video as many of my sets as possible for technique issues, and so I am going to bang them in here just as a record.

Set 1

This set was rubbish. I'm not quite sure why, but I got all out of shape and it was a real grinder. Prospect of getting all 4 triples seemed a long way off. Frankly, a test 1RM of 170kg seemed like a pipe dream after it too (170kg equates roughly to 5 x 150kg)

Set 2

Decided I needed better a) to not hang about for so bloody long, and b) get more hip drive. Focussed on those and this set was much improved. Still tough, but could maybe have bagged a 4th.

Set 3

Had a serious wobble on rep 2, and had to take a while to pull it back together. But made it through.

Set 4

As you can see, I found this quite hard. Made it though!

So I failed 4 x 3 x 147.5kg last week, and made 4 x 3 x 150kg this week. Progress. Not much progress, but progress all the same!
    ☻/
    / \

Ha ... I love that 'drop to your knees' at the beginning of the first vid!
    Awesome work to get triples at 150kg and everything looked very strong with good rebound out of the hole and barely a hint of a good morning. I know I've said it before but I'm very impressed that you're going for these heavy near max sets without a spotter. When I'm with JP I squat away from the rack and I'm not afraid to dump the bar but JP is always there to give advice and to help me with the bar if I have a fail. When I'm on my own in my regular gym I've never squatted more than 140 because I'm always a bit scared about having to dump the bar in the rack.
    You'll get that 3 x 4 x 150 on Friday and then I'm expecting you to nail that 170 and give 175 a run for your money. The 1000lbs is a gimme!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm pretty much off the grid ATM but stopping in to check on a few of ya

The reps feel tough because they are tough. Look at all the squatting you are doing and it's no wonder why. One thing I've noticed is when I do do reps of say 325 or so it always feels heavier than it should. Mentally I know that that's the heaviest weight I'm doing that day so my mind must tell my body that. If I go into the 400s which is heavy for me it doesn't feel any heavier that 325. The difference is my mentality.

I guess I'm saying I get what your saying but just because a days weight feels heavy and that your 1rm max seems far off it's not. Your mentality it will be different and your body will follow atleast that's what happens with me and it happens with every lift I do.

Solid stuff "James" and no BS you have inspired me to maybe one day think about thinking about the posisibility of maybe one day in the future to possibly maybe think about running Smolov. Defiantly will think about maybe one day thinking about the program no doubt about it...maybe.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Even alittle progress is progress, great work. Even if the weights feel heavy, they still went up! How is your mentality at this point in the program? Do you still feel motivated and driven? Its a lot of squats lol! Very pleasing results I may add

No idea why anyone would not want to watch all the vids.

The music is awesome at times.

Flounder. I am starting to sound like a broken record. Might see if I can get a shortcut key made up for my posts in here to save some time.

Solid as hell. If anyone is in doubt about being a pussy becuase they are intimidated by the weight. I am going to pass them over to this journal for them to man the fuk up.

Solid as ever mate.

No pics today. Just solid props.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you still feel motivated and driven? Its a lot of squats lol! Very pleasing results I may add
    He sure looks motivated and driven, if he isn't he is putting on a good front lol Every time a new set of Flounder squat vids pop up in my youtube feed, I start watching and I feel like I am doing the program. I see the weight coming out if the rack and it's like 'oh please can't this be a light day, I'm beat' lol. It has been so heavy, for so long, we are needing a deload just watching but he keeps grinding through.

Flounder, re the 1rm, each session's volume along with frequency you are at will keep you a little fatigued during the program. After you take a light week and then work to max without the volume (and being fully recovered and rested), you'll be pleasantly surprised
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

Great work Flounder to go from a fail at a lighter weight to success at a heavier is great progress in a weeks time. Your determination is very inspiring....

Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    He sure looks motivated and driven, if he isn't he is putting on a good front lol Every time a new set of Flounder squat vids pop up in my youtube feed, I start watching and I feel like I am doing the program. I see the weight coming out if the rack and it's like 'oh please can't this be a light day, I'm beat' lol. It has been so heavy, for so long, we are needing a deload just watching but he keeps grinding through.

Flounder, re the 1rm, each session's volume along with frequency you are at will keep you a little fatigued during the program. After you take a light week and then work to max without the volume (and being fully recovered and rested), you'll be pleasantly surprised
    Lol guess that was a dumb question considering he brings it to the table every session! Like an fn animal!!!

Ha ... I love that 'drop to your knees' at the beginning of the first vid!
    Haha - didn't even know what you were talking about until I watched the vid back. Pure coincidence - I think it is the end of a Queens of the Stone Age song!

Awesome work to get triples at 150kg and everything looked very strong with good rebound out of the hole and barely a hint of a good morning. I know I've said it before but I'm very impressed that you're going for these heavy near max sets without a spotter. When I'm with JP I squat away from the rack and I'm not afraid to dump the bar but JP is always there to give advice and to help me with the bar if I have a fail. When I'm on my own in my regular gym I've never squatted more than 140 because I'm always a bit scared about having to dump the bar in the rack.
    You'll get that 3 x 4 x 150 on Friday and then I'm expecting you to nail that 170 and give 175 a run for your money. The 1000lbs is a gimme!
    Well I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer to have a spotter once I get over 150kg. And I'd be lying if I didn't think about the consequences of dumping heavy weight if I get in a mess. But it's all added motivation not to fail... right?

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew. I will see what I can do!

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I'm pretty much off the grid ATM but stopping in to check on a few of ya ; )

The reps feel tough because they are tough. Look at all the squatting you are doing and it's no wonder why. One thing I've noticed is when I do do reps of say 325 or so it always feels heavier than it should. Mentally I know that that's the heaviest weight I'm doing that day so my mind must tell my body that. If I go into the 400s which is heavy for me it doesn't feel any heavier that 325. The difference is my mentality.

I guess I'm saying I get what your saying but just because a days weight feels heavy and that your 1rm max seems far off it's not. Your mentality it will be different and your body will follow at least that's what happens with me and it happens with every lift I do.
    Thanks for popping in John. I know you are in deep preparation mode. That makes a lot of sense. And you are right for me anything from about 130kg up just feels heavy. But it is just varying degrees of heaviness! There aren't any free reps above that weight - I have to work hard for all of them. And often I will have to work really hard on a triple at 130kg and find myself thinking "hell how am I going to triple 150kg if that was tough". And yet... So many thanks, will bear that in mind for the big day and try not to let myself get psyched out.

Solid stuff "James" and no BS you have inspired me to maybe one day think about thinking about the posisibility of maybe one day in the future to possibly maybe think about running Smolov. Defiantly will think about maybe one day thinking about the program no doubt about it...maybe. : D
    LOL. I am going to consider thinking about running it again when I finish . Though first I am going to sort my bench out. Hope you have got some training tips lined up... And a program...

Even alittle progress is progress, great work. Even if the weights feel heavy, they still went up! How is your mentality at this point in the program? Do you still feel motivated and driven? Its a lot of squats lol! Very pleasing results I may add
    Not a stupid question at all. From what I have read about the program a lot of people quit in the intense phase. And squatting over and over with little to spare for anything else is not exactly a feast of variety. Funnily enough though although I will be pleased to finish and do some other stuff, I have enjoyed it and have never once even thought about quitting. Squats was the day I looked forward to least on my 531. Largely because I found them the toughest mentally. If I got to walk into the gym and pick any exercise I wanted on a given day, I would never do them. But if you give me a program with everything written down, I will just get on with it. And the more I have done, the more I have enjoyed them. I still find the heaviest sets mentally challenging, but I no longer worry about squats per se. And my light sets now are heavier than my heaviest sets were before I started the program. Also, the aches and pains I always used to get from squats (and the terrible DOMS) have pretty much gone now. I get occasional sore knees, and some very very slight DOMs sometimes, but that is it. In future whatever program I run I think I will try and squat 3x per week, even if one day is a light day and one medium. Now I am just focused on getting through the last big session and hitting the 150kg rep PR, an then the test day.

I'm not sure I would have been able to do it without the support I've had in here though. I reckon if it was just me stuck in my gym on my own I would have struggled...

No idea why anyone would not want to watch all the vids.
    The music is awesome at times. : D
    Flounder. I am starting to sound like a broken record. Might see if I can get a shortcut key made up for my posts in here to save some time.
    Solid as hell. If anyone is in doubt about being a pussy becuase they are intimidated by the weight. I am going to pass them over to this journal for them to man the fuk up.
    Solid as ever mate.
    No pics today. Just solid props.
    Cheers Doughnut. Not surprised you are running out of new things to say - I'm running out of new things to post!

Day X,000: Loads more heavy-assed fecking squats

Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    He sure looks motivated and driven, if he isn't he is putting on a good front lol : ) Every time a new set of Flounder squat vids pop up in my youtube feed, I start watching and I feel like I am doing the program. I see the weight coming out if the rack and it's like 'oh please can't this be a light day, I'm beat' lol. It has been so heavy, for so long, we are needing a deload just watching but he keeps grinding through.

Flounder, re the 1rm, each session's volume along with frequency you are at will keep you a little fatigued during the program. After you take a light week and then work to max without the volume (and being fully recovered and rested), you'll be pleasantly surprised : )
    Aw shucks, thanks Laura! A deload would be nice for sure...

Great point about general fatigue. I hadn't really taken into account the general wear and tear and the positive effect a week's rest will have. Feeling a bit more buoyed about test day again - thanks!

Great work Flounder to go from a fail at a lighter weight to success at a heavier is great progress in a weeks time. Your determination is very inspiring....
    Thanks Ron. Just keeping on keeping on!

Lol guess that was a dumb question considering he brings it to the table every session! Like an fn animal!!!
    Cheers Shawn!
    ☻/
    / \

Not a stupid question at all. From what I have read about the program a lot of people quit in the intense phase. And squatting over and over with little to spare for anything else is not exactly a feast of variety. Funnily enough though although I will be pleased to finish and do some other stuff, I have enjoyed it and have never once even thought about quitting. Squats was the day I looked forward to least on my 531. Largely because I found them the toughest mentally. If I got to walk into the gym and pick any exercise I wanted on a given day, I would never do them. But if you give me a program with everything written down, I will just get on with it. And the more I have done, the more I have enjoyed them. I still find the heaviest sets mentally challenging, but I no longer worry about squats per se. And my light sets now are heavier than my heaviest sets were before I started the program. Also, the aches and pains I always used to get from squats (and the terrible DOMS) have pretty much gone now. I get occasional sore knees, and some very very slight DOMs sometimes, but that is it. In future whatever program I run I think I will try and squat 3x per week, even if one day is a light day and one medium. Now I am just focused on getting through the last big session and hitting the 150kg rep PR, an then the test day.

I'm not sure I would have been able to do it without the support I've had in here though. I reckon if it was just me stuck in my gym on my own I would have struggled...

Just to re highlight the importance of how much truth is in this post.

Page 75 of 124 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast