24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Stats: 6'0", 203 lbs
    BodyPoints: 19788
    EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit EdgarAllanPoe's BodySpace

pelvic hip thrust or bridge okay for pregnant women?

Have a client in the 2nd trimester and for the past month I have done zero exercises lying on her back or on her stomach, but I see so many women doing bridges and hip thrusts for glute strength. I have a studio so I have no seated hamstring curl machines or anything like that.

Limited somewhat to cable hip extensions, jungle gym hip extensions, standing hamstring curls and a few others. I figure doing hip thrusts off the bench would not apply any direct pressure to the low back/glute area so would that be fine? Her balance and everything has been fine although I haven't really challenged it, I believe a swiss ball hip thrust may be too unstable for her as most of what i read encourages me to take away balance challenging exercises from the routine.

Stats: 6'0", 245 lbs
    Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Endevorforever's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPoe View Post
    Have a client in the 2nd trimester and for the past month I have done zero exercises lying on her back or on her stomach, but I see so many women doing bridges and hip thrusts for glute strength. I have a studio so I have no seated hamstring curl machines or anything like that.

Limited somewhat to cable hip extensions, jungle gym hip extensions, standing hamstring curls and a few others. I figure doing hip thrusts off the bench would not apply any direct pressure to the low back/glute area so would that be fine? Her balance and everything has been fine although I haven't really challenged it, I believe a swiss ball hip thrust may be too unstable for her as most of what i read encourages me to take away balance challenging exercises from the routine.
    Why not do a ball/hack squat or lunges to strengthen the glutes? You could also do a standing hip thrust too.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

Stats: 5'5", 127 lbs
    sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit sonti's BodySpace
    Technically, she should not be flat on her back by the 2nd trimester.

These are excellent exercises for postpartum recovery but by-the-book, no, they are not supposed to be done in pregnancy. For glute strength in pregnancies, I found squats and kettlebell swings work best around the growing belly. Simple lunges (keeping a box for balance if needed) also work well.

Stats: 5'9", 152 lbs
    mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mastersimons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit mastersimons's BodySpace
    According to ACSM, all supine exercises should be avoided after the first trimester.
    Josh Simons
    James Madison University 2013
    Kinesiology - Exercise Science
    Personal Trainer, JMU University Recreation

Power Clean: 155 x1
    Bench Press: 265 x1
    Squat: 300 x1