Under Construction... sharkattack's Avatar
    sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

"Scrawny to Brawny" - anyone see this?

I was at Borders last night and saw a new workout book called "Scrawny to Brawny." Has anyone else seen this book? I looked at it for a little while and it seemed not all that different from many of the other books that are already out there on the subject of working out and building muscle. There are 100s of books out there, each month it seems as if each one tries to 'one up' the rest of them.

After taking some time in the store to take a look at it, I put it back it back on the shelf. My reason? Well, it just didn't seem too different from the multitudes of other books that are out there. I have the 'complete collection' by Stuart McRobert (Brawn, Beyond Brawn, The Muscle and Might Training Tracker, and The Insider's Guide to Proper Technique) and I keep coming back to them as the be all-end all on the subject of building muscle for most of us ‘normal gainers’ (as he likes to call folks).

I guess books written by guys like McRobert and Randal Strossen aren't flashy enough and not filled with loads of pictures to attract enough attention. However, if anyone's ever read any of McRobert's books, they'll know he's the real deal.

Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone seen "Scrawny to Brawny"?

All replies are welcome.

"keep the body Guessing" body2big's Avatar
    body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just got Beyond Brawn from the library. I have barely opened as time has been so tight. I actually brought it to work to try and read it and its still there and I have not touched it. But I think your right books like Beyond Brawn are much better than the ones written today by these "So Called Experts".

Shawn
    "I'm really whalen on my glutes this morning"

"I'm gonna shock the biceps later, finish up with some cardio you know, change it up keep the body guessing"

---Gordon - dodgeball movie---

Ecto-Morph Terminator Ecto-Monkey's Avatar
    Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My buddy picked up Scrawny to Brawny a little while back, he says its really good. I read a bit of it and it actually makes sence.

Peace.

jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is this the book you're referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...441389-6163056

The people who post reviews on Amazon seem to like it.

jag
    My Music: http://jaguarr.spymac.com

Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Free Alternative...

Well, you could alwayz save yourself $12 bucks and join BB.Com for free...

Then use that $12 (plus $8 more) to pick up some Higher Power Whey Protein... and be on your way to being fit...

Plus, the guy on that book cover wasn't brawny!!! Hahaha...
    The only other thyng on that page that caught my eye was thys...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...308508-1567124

Peace..~G
    Back in the Dawghouse...
    Last edited by GameDayDog; 07-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

Ecto-Morph Terminator Ecto-Monkey's Avatar
    Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ecto-Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jaguarr
    Is this the book you're referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...441389-6163056

The people who post reviews on Amazon seem to like it.

jag
    Thats the one im talking about

Originally Posted by GameDayDog

Then use that $12 (plus $8 more) to pick up some Higher Power Whey Protein... and be on your way to being fit...

Peace..~G
    Back in the Dawghouse...
    The guy on the cover is pretty buffed man.

Peace.

Body Building Enthusiast AnnArborMonk's Avatar
    AnnArborMonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the thing that disturbs me about the book is that he bribed a whole bunch of people to post good reviews on amazon with a free bonus. i'm skeptical. i've read a lot of it, and it seems like sound advice, but overly complicated. i could probably compress most of it into 5 pages

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    John Berardi is a co-author. You can search for his articles here on bb.com and also on his web site http://www.johnberardi.com/

That'll probably give you a pretty good sesne of the "flavor."

rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Beardi is making alot of money. Save yours.

If anyone remembers him, he is the food partitioning guy. Been preaching on T nation to anyone who will listen. Pushes products..Surge comes to mind.

Follow the money.

concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) concreteman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by GameDayDog

Peace..~G
    Back in the Dawghouse...
    What Gamedaydog says.
    I'd rather be drag racing, burnin rubber and hookin hard on the 660

JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought the book for the nutrition section alone. It goes into serious depth about P+C P+F meals, effects of insulin, and so many other subjects, he does not push products in the book at all. If you were in his position i am sure you would make the most of it. He offers most of his advice for free, check out his articles on BB.com and his website.

All his nutritional advice is sound advice. I defy anyone to argue with his principles and protocols outlined on his website and BB.com.

I know if i was him i would be a little bit of a sellout. He cannot be making that much money just by creating diets for people.

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want workout info check out Ian King from australia. Great strength coach.
    Charles Polquin is another good one that comes to mind. As for diets I saw a good one at another forum called super cutter. It is basicly carb manipulation. Many guys have gotten great results from it.
    Also Found that Jerry Telle is good for routines. All this is for free.

Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by resurrected
    If you want workout info check out Ian King from australia. Great strength coach.
    I agree. His book, The Book Of Muscle (co-written with Lou Shuler) is an excellent reference and I highly recommend it to anyone following the bb lifestyle.

Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jrdnstatz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My number one problem with the book... is the meal plans get vague when it comes to your own caloric needs. Plus, he constantly pushes his website in the book...which is a subscription website.

The other issue I have with the book - is lack of organization. He uses terms like "the above table"....when the table is on another page. There is a lot of flipping around in the book too.

I like the style of writing - comical while still keeping to the point. It is very "Men's health" in style. Plus, the free online courses have been helpful in reinforcing the lessons of the book.

Scrawny to Brawny isn't just a book -- it is an investment. Not overly expensive mind you and (I think) worth while for people who are hypertrophy-challenged.

Although, my grocery store bills are leaving me very afraid.
    Last edited by Jrdnstatz; 06-07-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. -Adelle Davis

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good. -Alice May Brock

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients. -Julia Child

Never eat more than you can lift. -Miss Piggy

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, that's one book I never have to consider. I ain't never been scrawny.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bennychains View Post
    the book obviously hasnt done you any good - judging by your pic.
    That's messed up!!!!!!!!!

Spank yourself with a rolled up newspaper for me!!!

I suspect my bulk is done trib2's Avatar
    trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trib2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try looking at this instead: "Bulking for the Ectomorph" - it's free and has some good information. I'm working my way through it and am about to implement a lot of the suggestions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast50.htm
    "I can't be around carbs today. Do you know what one loaf of bread would do to my abs?!?" -- Michael Scott (The Office)

naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naturalbrawn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post
    I was at Borders last night and saw a new workout book called "Scrawny to Brawny." Has anyone else seen this book? I looked at it for a little while and it seemed not all that different from many of the other books that are already out there on the subject of working out and building muscle. There are 100s of books out there, each month it seems as if each one tries to 'one up' the rest of them.

After taking some time in the store to take a look at it, I put it back it back on the shelf. My reason? Well, it just didn't seem too different from the multitudes of other books that are out there. I have the 'complete collection' by Stuart McRobert (Brawn, Beyond Brawn, The Muscle and Might Training Tracker, and The Insider's Guide to Proper Technique) and I keep coming back to them as the be all-end all on the subject of building muscle for most of us ?€˜normal gainers?€™ (as he likes to call folks).

I guess books written by guys like McRobert and Randal Strossen aren't flashy enough and not filled with loads of pictures to attract enough attention. However, if anyone's ever read any of McRobert's books, they'll know he's the real deal.

All replies are welcome.
    I know what you mean about Stuart McRobert books.

I just got done reading his latest book, Build Muscle Lose Fat Look Great.

I threw out all my other bodybuilding books after reading it. I had like 30 books. They all had something missing in them. I guess that's why I kept buying them.

I would not buy Scrawny to Brawny, and yes I did give the book a good look.
    Last edited by naturalbrawn; 09-27-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I read Scrawny to Brawny a while back. I liked it. It's a good book for teaching skinny guys how to shop, cook, and eat like a bodybuilder.

I also read the free e-book, Bulking for Ectomorphs. It's worth a read. It's got a great recipie for a gainer shake that drink twice a day.

Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bennychains View Post
    the book obviously hasnt done you any good - judging by your pic.
    That reply my young friend is why Bodybuildiong.com requests that folks be 35 or older or at least exhibit a certain measure of maturity such as Jrdnstatz demonstrated at the age of 17, in his intelligent and well-written post.
    I would politely suggest that you seek another outlet for your putdowns or ill advised attempts at humor.

HenrykMarczak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HenrykMarczak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HenrykMarczak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Scrawny to Brawny." Has anyone else seen this book?
    I bought the book and has great diet info and even a grocery list, it doesn't push any supplements and goes mainly on what to eat in detail. The exercise are a bit geared for the gym, and I train in my basement so am limited to some methods since I don't have a high ceiling and certain equipment.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I remember seeing it in a bookstore, but, honestly, I rarely buy bodybuilding/weight training books anymore. I can get so much information online, here and at places like T-nation, that I can go on "information overload" and not spend any money.

BTW, I think this is the last book I actually purchased. For me it was a good investment.

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    wow.......strong 6 year bump!

p0lish_sausage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After taking some time in the store to take a look at it, I put it back it back on the shelf. My reason? Well, it just didn't seem too different from the multitudes of other books that are out there. I have the 'complete collection' by Stuart McRobert (Brawn, Beyond Brawn, The Muscle and Might Training Tracker, and The Insider's Guide to Proper Technique) and I keep coming back to them as the be all-end all on the subject of building muscle for most of us ‘normal gainers’ (as he likes to call folks).

All replies are welcome.
    I got this book last year and followed it as closely as I could. It's the first workout program that actually worked for me... sort of. The "sort of" part stems from the fact that I did not grow as much as I wanted to, but I'm aware that it's all my fault, since I didn't stick to the crazy amounts of food the book prescribed some of the time. It is the *only* bodybuilding resource I have ever seen that actually addresses issues issues that are specific to skinny bean-pole-like people, like me. For example:

- gives you tools to see how "scrawny" you actually are, and uses these assessments to mechanically alter your workouts
    - explains how to do the basic lifts in a way that will work for people with narrow shoulders and long limbs
    - breaks down routines into phases that focus on muscle imbalance corrections, "shocking" your nervous system into actually put on weight, and then finally hypertrophy routines
    - gives macro-nutrient timing meal plans that minimizes fat gain
    - great calorie-efficient meal ideas

The book is not perfect though.

1. It's poorly organized and edited. It's so bad that in one instance, than the table for their phase IV workout routine is all screwed up: I had to go online to his website to get the proper routine. They really need to make a revised edition.

2. Too much protein. There are countless of scientific studies that show you don't need as much protein as this guy is prescribing in his book (and in most BB guides, really) - I found it kept me full too much and made it way harder to eat as much as the book wanted me to. I toned down the protein and upped the carbs (on workout days) or fat (on rest days) and my energy levels at the gym skyrocketed.

But it is by far the best book I have read for scrawny people like me. I'm still not huge by any means, but it let me put on 20+ lbs of lean muscle with very little fat. I just wished they'd have more content instead of asking for $100 a month to get coaching online (which is a rip-off).

Registered User aaustinfischerr's Avatar
    aaustinfischerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I've done the program

Me and my buddy 2 years ago did the program in this book. We stuck to it pretty good. We definitely could have done better but it actually had pretty awesome results for as short of a time as it is. There may be better stuff out there but there is no denying that his method produces awesome quick results.