ice65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Compound Exercises Only?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this routine for size. I've gotten great results from this routine after moving from lower reps and lower sets. Also, I used to do tricep pushdowns, curls, etc but they led to burnout on top of all the compound exercises. I find this routine keeps me less overtrained and has minimal overlap of muscle groups.

Monday: Squat/Press (8 sets of 10 reps)
    Tuesday: Assisted Pullup (8 sets of 10 reps)
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Bench (8 sets of 10 reps)
    Friday: Deadlift/Shrug (8 sets of 10 reps)
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Off

The only isolation I do is abs and calves but only 2 sets because I just want strength in those areas so that my squat and deadlift don't kill me

The real question is, if bigger muscles and lower bodyfat produce a good looking physique (arguably), is it not logical to just hit as many muscle groups as possible at once? Do us "normal gainers" really need to do isolation at all?

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    !!!

Why not do Wendler's 5/3/1's 4 day workout?

http://www.strstd.com/ and use the "Not-Doing-Jack-Chit" template.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    !!!

Why not do Wendler's 5/3/1's 4 day workout?
    It's not bad...not too much overlap either. I do more sets though. Keep with what works for you.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ice65 View Post
    It's not bad...not too much overlap either. I do more sets though. Keep with what works for you.
    I don't do it.

But from reading your description I thought this would be great for you.

You could look up GVT (German Volume Training).

It's basically 10x10.

I don't do it.

But from reading your description I thought this would be great for you.

You could look up GVT (German Volume Training).

It's basically 10x10.
    Ah ok. Yup I did GVT...basically 2 more sets than what I'm doing now. I found those 2 extra sets were so brutal I ended up overtraining sooner than I should have. Capacity to recover is everything lol.

Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Labado21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    8x10 is something an advanced lifter would do to shock his body. if you wanna do 8 sets then the maximum reps i would use is 6

Originally Posted by Labado21 View Post
    8x10 is something an advanced lifter would do to shock his body. if you wanna do 8 sets then the maximum reps i would use is 6
    I think he may be doing 8x10 at 60% RM. It'll still shock his body in a way. He'll be recruiting a lot of muscle fibers by doing that. Many have done it through GVT, and 8x10 is pretty close to it.

I think he may be doing 8x10 at 60% RM. It'll still shock his body in a way. He'll be recruiting a lot of muscle fibers by doing that. Many have done it through GVT, and 8x10 is pretty close to it.
    Exactly. Many would probably laugh at my bench poundages but if they were to do as many sets and reps as me they might find it just as hard. Keep in mind I have average genetics and I only do 1 or 2 exercises at the most in a workout. 8X10 fills up the hour though!