Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Fruity urine smell?

lately when ever i go for a piss it smells fruity (cant really describe), like it doesnt smell like it should.
    anyone know what is causing this?
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

fruity urine

Ketones are a common source of fruity odor. They are produced when the body does not have enough glucose to utilize. They are common in dehydration. Do you have a fruity odor on your breath as well? Good idea to get a urinalysis. Are you otherwise well?

advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50) advanc3d will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nah breathe is fine. could it be because of something i eat?

i rkn i drink enough for my bodyweight. somewhere about 3litres or so a day.

i feel well. well i feel good enough that i never felt better
    Last edited by advanc3d; 02-20-2007 at 10:16 PM.
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What kind of fruit does it smell like?
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    What kind of fruit does it smell like?
    fuk if i know. something sweet perhaps
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dr. Painburner is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    at least it dont smell like piss.
    COD4 on PS3. PSN: G-Jimbo type "misc" in the message

tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Fruity odor

If there is a fruit that you are eating a lot of the chemicals that make up taste and odor pass unchanged into the urine leaving the same odor and sometimes color as the fruit. Look at your diet and see if there is an intake of a lot of one single item. If you are well hydrated and otherwise healthy it is likely related to your diet. No harm no foul. Continue to drink water like a fish.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urine-odor/AN00958
    Urine odor -> Potential medical causes
    Strong ammonia smell -> Not enough fluids, dehydration
    Foul smelling -> Bacterial infection of the kidneys or bladder
    Sweet smelling -> Benign Ketosis, Uncontrolled diabetes / Ketoacidosis
    Musty smelling -> Liver disease; phenylketonuria, a rare, inherited metabolic condition
    Maple syrup smell -> Maple sugar urine disease, a rare, inherited metabolic disorder
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

the thing is. in the past 5 hours i pissed 10 times more then what i drinked

the colour is light yellow with a very light greenish hue.
    Last edited by advanc3d; 02-21-2007 at 02:14 AM.
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Physician [In training] XYJetta's Avatar
    XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by advanc3d View Post
    lately when ever i go for a piss it smells fruity (cant really describe), like it doesnt smell like it should.
    Obviously diet, fluid intake, exercise and kidney function affect the composition of your urine.
    Have you been taking any new supplements, medications (Both OTC and/or prescriptive) lately?

Even diabetes, certain urinary tract infections, or even starvation could yield a sweet-smelling or fruity odoriferous urine.

My recommendation: if this has gone on long-term and/or continues, I would consult your physician.
    Last edited by XYJetta; 02-21-2007 at 02:41 AM.

Originally Posted by XYJetta View Post
    Obviously diet, fluid intake, exercise and kidney function affect the composition of your urine.
    Have you been taking any new supplements, medications (Both OTC and/or prescriptive) lately?

Even diabetes, certain urinary tract infections, or even starvation could yield a sweet-smelling or fruity odoriferous urine.

My recommendation: if this has gone on long-term and continues, I would consult your physician.

the only new thing i started having today that i rmember was Oats.

but the lastitme i had soemthing like this happen was after i had a cheeseburger from mcdonolds which coincidentally i had the samething today aswell
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Physician [In training] XYJetta's Avatar
    XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XYJetta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but the lastitme i had soemthing like this happen was after i had a cheeseburger from mcdonolds which coincidentally i had the samething today aswell
    Something to strongly consider, wouldn't you agree?
    Have you had any other effects, synchronous with this change in urine composition?

Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Too ........ Many.......Jokes.......Brain........Overloading... ......

*sizzle* *sizzle* *BANG*

(silence)
    When in doubt......lift more!!

Originally Posted by XYJetta View Post
    Have you had any other effects, synchronous with this change in urine composition?
    i have not
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Keto-Adapted

Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rainmaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just out of curiousity, does it taste fruity as well?
    When in doubt......lift more!!

Urinary frequency

If you are also having more urine output you need to get a urinalysis at your Drs office to make sure you are not spilling glucose in your urine. Our kidneys normally can recover the glucose in our urine as it is made, and so glucose does not pass in our urine. A fruity odor and going to the bathroom a lot is an early sign of diabetes. As the blood glucose increases above the ability of the kidney to recover the glucose it spills into the urine. This is normally about 200ng/ml. Glucose is osmotically active and so pulls water with it causing more urine production. If you are additionally thirsty or have lost weight recently, or find low energy a problem, you need to go in. Catching it early is a huge benefit and to rule it out is obviously a relief.

Good luck!

Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hunter B has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I think the real question here is "How does it taste"? If it taste good than you may be onto something. You could sell your urine this summer to sweaty dehydrated kinds on the side of the road. You would be like a walking drink dispenser. A quarter a pop and you could be loaded in no time. I'm thinking we could even bottle it up and sell them in grocery stores. Now we just need a name...how about Pizlets? Sparkle Juice? HEY! I just got another idea, how about we put them in urinal shaped bottles!? Hit me up with a PM if you like my ideas, maybe we can work something out.

PS: When you hit big time remeber who gave you the idea.

GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeeNo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would get some bloodwork and a urinalysis done, as it sounds like this could be diabetes. Especially if you are urinating more frequently.

Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you are pissing more than you're drinking, i'd definitely get checked out for diabetes... not to mention the fact that the smell is a sign of ketosis (another symptom of diabetes)

Update

Have you had a chance to get to the Dr? If not you really should get some labs done to at least rule out Diabetes. Take care.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think thus far you have obtained good advice. Ketone bodies are typical in diabetes mellitus and increase urinary frequency is also a sign of diabetes. In fact, the diabetes mellitus means exactly that: urinating a lot of sweet urine.... IMO Glucose does not smell, so my guess is you have some mild form of ketoacidosis... The formation of ketone bodies is a typical sign of diabetes...

Thus, you need to get a urinalysis ASAP.... Go to the Dr and tell him/her your symptomps... I am sure he/she will order a urinalysis and perhaps a glucose tolerance test...

And BTW The formation of ketone bodies is NOT related to dehydration. Ketone bodies are formed from non-glucose substrates when the body is starved of glucose... In your case it would probably imply a lack of insulin secretion or response...

HTH
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Yrat View Post
    if you are pissing more than you're drinking, i'd definitely get checked out for diabetes... not to mention the fact that the smell is a sign of ketosis (another symptom of diabetes)
    dam...i bet he didnt expect that when he made this thread:/
    GOAL: BUILD LEAN MASS
    SUPPLEMENTS: whey protein & creatine mono
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html - exercises
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php - food
    http://www.nutritiondata.com - calorie counter
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956 - clean bulking
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=292tc2 - MY MOTIVATION

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation Seriously, see ur doc . . .

One thing it could be is juvenile (Type 1) diabetes, which is nothing 2 mess with.
    I found out I had it when I was the same age u r now. I pissed a lot & my urine smelled fruity & I went 2 my doc & found out I had it.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by reefpicker View Post
    And BTW The formation of ketone bodies is NOT related to dehydration.
    I see the doctor is in again...

This is not correct. Examination of even the poor man's Merck Manual will yield otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis
    Normally, ketone bodies are produced in minuscule quantities, feeding only part of the energy needs of the heart and brain. However, in DKA, the body enters a starving state. Eventually, neurons (and so the brain) switches from using glucose as a primary fuel source to using ketone bodies.

As a result, the bloodstream is filled with an increasing amount of glucose that it cannot use (as the liver continues gluconeogenesis and exporting the glucose so made). This significantly increases its osmolality. At the same time, massive amounts of ketone bodies are produced, which, in addition to increasing the osmolal load of the blood, are acidic. As a result, the pH of the blood begins to change. Glucose begins to spill into the urine as the proteins responsible for reclaiming it from urine reach maximum capacity. As it does so, it takes a great deal of body water with it, resulting in dehydration.

Dehydration worsens the increased osmolality of the blood, and forces water out of cells and into the bloodstream in order to keep vital organs perfused. A vicious cycle is now set up, positively feeding back upon itself, and if untreated will lead to coma and death.
    And the REAL Merck Manual: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch15...0bodies&alt=sh
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    I see the doctor is in again...

This is not correct. Examination of even the poor man's Merck Manual will yield otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_ketoacidosis

And the REAL Merck Manual: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch15...0bodies&alt=sh
    WHAT?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

The post to which I replied and corrected made it look like dehydration causes ketoacidosis!

Dehydration has many symptomps. Formation of ketone bodies is not one of them!!!!

Thats what I was saying....

The increase in urine output during DM has to do with increase glucose. Ketoacidosis is not always present in DM patients.

From your own source:
    "Glucose begins to spill into the urine as the proteins responsible for reclaiming it from urine reach maximum capacity"

This is in no way connected to DKA. Not at all. A DM patient can have glucosuria and polyuria w/o having DKA.

Also:
    "in DKA, the body enters a starving state"

This is exactly what I said. KA only occurs when non-glucose substrates are used to provide fuel for the body. Starvation state is laymens terms for fasting. The lack of insulin means that the blood glucose can no longer be used (b/c of insulin-dependent glucose transporters). This means that the body switches to KB to provide energy. Again, where does dehydration takes place.

I am not a doctor, and I never claimed to be one but I only post when I am sure about what I am talking about....

This really makes me a bit angry... Mostly b/c of the "i see the doctor is in again" comment...

What is that supossed to mean? Besides, I may not be an MD doctor but hopefully I will be a PhD soon and technically, I did went to medical school :P
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Registered User bernbabybern820's Avatar
    bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    can you really smell the sweet urine without getting close to it? If not im going to be curious to see if i have diabetes.

Your statement refutes all relations between the two. A correction and clarification, such as "dehydration is not a cause of ketoacidosis, rather dehydration is a symptom thereof", would have avoided misinterpretations

Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Your statement refutes all relations between the two. A correction and clarification, such as "dehydration is not a cause of ketoacidosis, rather dehydration is a symptom thereof", would have avoided misinterpretations
    I am sorry but even that would be incorrect. As I stated, DM with polyuria and polydypsia can occur with or without KA. I am not even sure that KA can cause dehydration. Your first link did not provide a specific direct connection between KA and dehydration. Your second one sort of did.. (I will get back on this)... I am sure that the ketone bodies can increase the osmolality of the blood, and when they are released into the urine, they may well help to pump water into the collecting ducts. But I do not recall this being important in the context of KA, only of high blood glucose. When we talk about KA back in school, we talk about the fact that ketone bodies can be smelled in the breath, that they cause a change in pH of the blood which causes changes in the CO2 balance and respiration, kidney compensation... blah blah blah, but never have I heard that it is associated with a loss of free water. Even if it did, I was talking in the context of the previous post. Had your read more carefully, you would have found that out. Besides, you made it sound like I needed the clarification, not that the statement itself needed a clarification.

Arguing about this is pointless, but I think that after several threads here, I would have at the very least gained your intelectual respect. You know that when I make a mistake, I admit it. I think I try to show respect for others ideas, and I would never say something like "I see the doctor is in again". That was not very respectful... You can say, "Not correct " or "Thats awfully wrong"...

I am not perfect. I could be wrong at times, but I try to talk only about stuff I am comfortable with. I also take time to verify information I am not so sure about. This is an internet forum, so there is always the freedom to BS now and then, but I try to keep it to a minimum
    Last edited by reefpicker; 03-04-2007 at 05:09 PM.
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BeastWithin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ive had piss thats smelled like cereal, specifically fruitloops. happens rarely.

I am sure that the ketone bodies can increase the osmolality of the blood, and when they are released into the urine, they may well help to pump water into the collecting ducts.
    OK, one thing you have to say I am is persistent... So I finally found out why dehydration is often correlated specifically with DKA. But, as I said formation of ketone bodies itself has nothing to do with it... They are NOT directly related.... And in fact, not only can you have polyuria, and polydypsia w/o KA, but you can in theory have KA w/o dehydration. yep.

Its the metabolic acidosis... Its actually quiet interesting... As the Ketoacids are being produced, the blood becomes acidic. The first thing that happens to upset this is (within minutes!) a change in your ventilation rate... The increase in pH is an increase in H+ (proton), this can be "vented" by the lungs as CO2 and water... Once the kidneys kick in, the patient compensates... This happens after perhaps a day or two (not sure myself but I know it takes more than one day)...

At this point you may have an uncontrolled diabetic with DKA and metabolic acidosis. And here is when dehydration can occur, as the body attempts to dump the excess H+ via the kidneys it does so only at the expense of increasing plasma potasium and decreasing sodium reabsortion at the proximal tubule, which means H20 is not being reabsorbed. This leads to an increase in urine output and a decrease of plasma volume.

Now recall that this patient may have high blood glucose. Now you are under extreme dehydrating conditions. This is indeed a very dangerous metabolic disorder.

However, all of this processes occur in steps. It takes some time to get to this point and most diabetics will recognize the first symptopms of DKA.

Hope I helped clarify things and not add to the confusion.

So, I guess I was right... Even if you misinterpreted my statement

The relation b/w ketone bodies and dehydration is not absolute. I.E One is not absolutely correlated to the other... Unless you have chronic DKA....
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)