thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

obese, chain smoking, noob (kinda long post)

hey, ah soo i am 34 yrs old 6 foot 1, 330 -340 lbs depending on the day, smoked a pack a day since i was 12, (currently quitting), torn acl in my right knee, with an umbilical hernia (in process of going to doctors and fixing)high blood pressure and ive had a heart ischemia. Being over weight has taken its toll, I literally cant not be sweating , even just sitting around, or walk up two flights of stairs without being breathless at the top im that fat guy piece of ****. how i got here it no mystery, point is im ****ing sick of being this person. Its embarrassing!! IM READY TO CHANGE

When i was younger i heavy into sports soccer baseball, mountain biking then around 23-25 i slowly just became the jabbah the hut at 34...

I went vegetarian for 6 months and actually gained weight (jan2012-june2012) , then it took about a month , month and a half to work myself back onto meat, without getting digestive problems. Then i did the eat only meat thing, and i just felt like ****. Now ive decided to join a forum , get some pointers , take some heat for being a fat sloppy mess, and maybe some support lol

I just bought a york 4180, since money is an issue(i have little) and i got it for $100 and figured weight training was the best road to travel, low weight, high reps, build lean muscle mass thus burning fat and raising my metabolism.

basically im asking for any tips, useful information on diet or exercises that can be done a 4180 or even if there's anything i shouldn't do because of my hernia and heart issues. like cardio.... is that safe for me?

I have thick skin so if you just want to bust my balls go ahead, hoping mixed in will be some useful info lol

Thanks

Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thatphatguy View Post
    hey, ah soo i am 34 yrs old 6 foot 1, 330 -340 lbs depending on the day, smoked a pack a day since i was 12, (currently quitting), torn acl in my right knee, with an umbilical hernia (in process of going to doctors and fixing)high blood pressure and ive had a heart ischemia. Being over weight has taken its toll, I literally cant not be sweating , even just sitting around, or walk up two flights of stairs without being breathless at the top im that fat guy piece of ****. how i got here it no mystery, point is im ****ing sick of being this person. Its embarrassing!! IM READY TO CHANGE

When i was younger i heavy into sports soccer baseball, mountain biking then around 23-25 i slowly just became the jabbah the hut at 34...

I went vegetarian for 6 months and actually gained weight (jan2012-june2012) , then it took about a month , month and a half to work myself back onto meat, without getting digestive problems. Then i did the eat only meat thing, and i just felt like ****. Now ive decided to join a forum , get some pointers , take some heat for being a fat sloppy mess, and maybe some support lol

I just bought a york 4180, since money is an issue(i have little) and i got it for $100 and figured weight training was the best road to travel, low weight, high reps, build lean muscle mass thus burning fat and raising my metabolism.

basically im asking for any tips, useful information on diet or exercises that can be done a 4180 or even if there's anything i shouldn't do because of my hernia and heart issues. like cardio.... is that safe for me?

I have thick skin so if you just want to bust my balls go ahead, hoping mixed in will be some useful info lol

Thanks
    Buy the book "The 4 hour body" by Tim somethingidunno. It's invaluable and will give you a solid foundation for knowledge regarding workout ideas and diet.
    He in depth lays out everything you'll need to succeed as a beginner. Buy it, life changing.
    Views expressed on this domain are fictitious and represent the opinion of no entity whatsoever

thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thatphatguy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    tim ferriss , ya i heard him on the JRE a few times, he def has a wealth of info, been thinking of it actually.

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah no. Dont do that. You do not need to buy a book to get the info you need.

Read the stickies in the nutrition forum. You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Anything else is BS.

Regarding your medical issues and weight training, you really need to ask your doctor.
    ---Likes front squats more than back squats crew---
    ---Likes overhead press more than bench press crew---
    ---Can't argue with deadlifts crew---

i used one of those daily calorie guides and it says for my weight,height and age i need 3028 calories daily to "maintain" so basically just eat less fat boy lol " a fridge too far " kk ill head over tho those stickies

Originally Posted by phrali View Post

Read the stickies in the nutrition forum. You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Anything else is BS.

Regarding your medical issues and weight training, you really need to ask your doctor.

Registered User ijustbluemyself's Avatar
    ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ijustbluemyself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    E-cigs and nicotine gum breh.

Make sure to cut down from 4mg to 2mg and then start using half pieces.

Also ramp down on the E-cigs because they can keep you addicted to the puffing aspect of smoking.

I have found that green tea helps me personally.

I would suggest starting small, don't worry about impressing people with the weight you're lifting. Maybe do a full body workout a couple times a week with mostly compound lifts, and do some cardio.

Most importantly track your calories. It's a bitch at first, but if you keep a log of the things you eat day by day, you can build a catalog of most of the things you eat, which makes counting cals way easier. Or use myfitness pal for that. Just don't overlook calories that's the most important thing for weight loss

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hay. I just quit smoking in january after 20 years of half a pack a day. I did it with chantix. That sh8t works yo. I weighed 180lbs. I cut down to 130lbs(too much). Bulked up and started lifting. Ive come far, you can too.

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day its a pig, but hey I guess even the sun shines on a dogs rear end somedays..just kidding...anyway good luck hope you quit that garbage for good and get in your best shape
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

ya in Canada the "e cigs" are not allowed to contain nicotine so they are sensation replacement only, i picked up thrive lozenges..taste like a$$ lol
    i literally just started writing down caloric intake today, its insane how many calories are in food, i figured id set a limit of 2500 calories a day for now, after one meal im at 780...can of tuna, 4 pcs sesame seed bread, 2 level tbl spoons helmans = 780 calories...thats insane lol. also im drinking atleast 2 litres of water a day

what about fruits and veggies? how do i measure those , they dont really have a label....

it may seem like im just asking and not researching for my self, but i am researching however im finding alot of contradictions, like some articles say eat several (7-10) small meals a day to keep my body metabolizing, others say no more than 3 meals so my system has time to rest .....

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    ya in Canada the "e cigs" are not allowed to contain nicotine so they are sensation replacement only, i picked up thrive lozenges..taste like a$$ lol
    i literally just started writing down caloric intake today, its insane how many calories are in food, i figured id set a limit of 2500 calories a day for now, after one meal im at 780...can of tuna, 4 pcs sesame seed bread, 2 level tbl spoons helmans = 780 calories...thats insane lol. also im drinking atleast 2 litres of water a day

what about fruits and veggies? how do i measure those , they dont really have a label....

it may seem like im just asking and not researching for my self, but i am researching however im finding alot of contradictions, like some articles say eat several (7-10) small meals a day to keep my body metabolizing, others say no more than 3 meals so my system has time to rest .....
    Eating lots of small meals is an old wives tale. Real science says that you can eat when you want and it makes no real difference to results. Total calories for the day is everything. Closely followed by getting sufficient protein and dietary fat.

Note that things are a little different when you have a large amount of weight to lose, you can run a very low number of calories provided that you eat mainly lean protein and foods high in EFAs (essential fatty acids). Fill up on fibrous vegetables (watch they mayo, it's almost pure fat)

mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000) mcapote3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i used one of those daily calorie guides and it says for my weight,height and age i need 3028 calories daily to "maintain" so basically just eat less fat boy lol " a fridge too far " kk ill head over tho those stickies
    yeah I started @ 460lbs 5 months ago and im down to 400 now. Still a ways to go but I also put on alot of muscle in the last few months. I would say drop way below 3k if you want to drop weight. You really need to do your calculations based off lean body mass not fat weight cause they are severely inaccurate. I am around 1500 cals per day with alot of protein. also put cardio into your routine even if its 40-60 minutes of fast walking it will still cut 400-700 cals on you. that machine dont do much in terms of strength you can probably do fast reps as a resistance cardio, but it wont take the place of squats, bench, and deadlifts.

i quit 13 years ago smoking after smoking for 14 years. good choice you wont regret it if you have the head to stay off it.
    Logs: none currently

previous sponsored logs and reviews can be seen here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158128363

Weight lost to date: 100lbs

Registered User OperationChisel's Avatar
    OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OperationChisel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're making big changes. Good for you. Take it one step at a time. Quitting smoking with working out is a really good plan (see http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87N0XA20120824).

Definitely read the stickies, choose a good beginner plan and stick with it. You'll see results ... in fact the first 6 to 12 months with consistent effort can be life-changing.
    www.42Workouts.com

Learn from your mistakes lucidz's Avatar
    lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suggest eating foods that don't require condiments or complex recipes. That way its easier to count calories without counting every single individual one.

Low carb diets work for pretty much anyone, but its important to understand why. Don't pick a fad diet. While any diet will work, ANY diet will work for a few weeks ONLY. Do something to establish healthy eating patterns that you can sustain for a year or two. It took you many years to get to this point, its going to take years to get back. Sorry, thats just it.

As for exercise. It all starts with walking man. Its boring and it sucks, but do it. Weight lift if you can. The most important thing to do if you're going to lose weight is not to lose TOO much too fast. You'll get stretch marks and loose skin which may or may not look ok later. (I fked this one up and am literally scarred for life)

Exercise, and get enough protein for sure. Keep your muscles from atrophing as much as you can. The more you engage your muscles, the more they'll get used and the better you'll feel encouraging you to do more physical activities without even realizing it. The more you feel better, the more your TDEE will naturally rise because it doesn't suck to do stuff.

You can do it man. 7 months ago I was just getting out of the hospital, was 50lbs over weight, and so weak from the medical problems I couldn't climb ONE step, let alone stand up for more than a few minutes.

I lost all the weight and am doing my first bulk believe it or not. It'll work.
    Its not how strong you are, its how good your aim is from 500 yards.

thanks for all the replies i appreciate it , i tried to "rep" everyone who replied but the system said i cant rep to much within a 24 hr period.lol
    Anybody have any success with the "cheat day" approach ? basically be super strict 6 days in a row , eat properly and very disciplined then on the 7th day u can eat (within reason) pleasure foods .

Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Said book has information pertaining to a lot more than nutrition and routines. It has everything and is definitely worth the $30-40 it costs, you'll find things in that book that aren't on this forum.
    Views expressed on this domain are fictitious and represent the opinion of no entity whatsoever

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Vampirelol View Post
    Said book has information pertaining to a lot more than nutrition and routines. It has everything and is definitely worth the $30-40 it costs, you'll find things in that book that aren't on this forum.
    Op does not need information about anything other than nutrition and routines to achieve his goals, and he sure as hell doesn't need someone trying to sell him something.

thanks for all the replies i appreciate it , i tried to "rep" everyone who replied but the system said i cant rep to much within a 24 hr period.lol
    Anybody have any success with the "cheat day" approach ? basically be super strict 6 days in a row , eat properly and very disciplined then on the 7th day u can eat (within reason) pleasure foods .
    The cheat day thing is a concept you should not be worried about.

You need to do this as a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. This must be a permanent long term change if you want it to work.

Quitting smoking doesnt work if you decide to let yourself smoke one day a week. You spend the whole week still thinking about smoking and looking forward to your smoking day. It is kinda the same thing with nutrition.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO that's a recipe for disaster, at least until you start getting close to your goal. You need to hit your minimum daily protein and fat intake and don't go over you daily calorie goal. You are need of a serious dose of will power, but it can be done.

It's probably difficult to say how much lean body mass you have. If you are optimistic you could assume 200 lbs. So go for a minimum of .82g/lb for protein and .4g/lb for fat. You want a minimum of 165g of protein and 80g of fat. That is 1380 calories (4x165 + 9x80). A good starting point for you would be 2500 calories. So you have 1120 calories to get from carbs and/or more protein and fat.

You will want to do a full body lifting routine 3x per week. You may have to do some exercise adaption if all you have is that York home gym. I recommned you look at All-pro's beginner routine. You should be able to adapt it to you home gym.

Op does not need information about anything other than nutrition and routines to achieve his goals, and he sure as hell doesn't need someone trying to sell him something.
    Phuck off *******. You've given him nothing useful aside from "read stickies". They only contain so much and some people want different resources and knowledge. It's not always just as simple as "eat this and do this". I'm presenting him with an option that will provide in depth and accurate information that will benefit him throughout his life in a wide vary of aspects, including your precious nutrition and routines. Go read the book or stfu.

hey thanks to everyone , seriously i know "noobs" can be annoying. ill be lurking and reading stickies for atleast a week. lol. Some great starting advice for me in this thread.

day one - limited by my equipment lol work out , but it was an honest effort, 50 lbs 20 reps 3 sets, of each of the exercises i could figure out lol and an end of day calorie count of 2202, give or take 150 either way for my vegetable caloric value estimations (4 oz of mushrooms,4 oz of red peppers tossed in 1 tble spoon of pesto) also ate 12 oz of steamed chicken with pepper with those veggies for dinner, and b4 bed ( right now ) im eating 1 cup of rice crispies, 1 cup of raisin bran, with a sliced up banana and two cups of almond milk (plus the tuna samies i had for lunch ) = 2202 calories total ( i think lol ) and a Gatorade after my work out

in the words of joe rogan " be the guy you pretend to be when you're trying to get laid "

c ya 2 mar peeps