sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny fat, begginer and wants(needs) to gain muscle - What program to follow?

Hello.
    I placed a " - " bellow on the main question because i can't find a bold/highlight option and this way saves you time if you don't want to read the details.

Im a skinny fat guy that lost around 80lb with diet+cardio and not much weight training ( got some dumbbells and did p90x at home just to get used to weights ) and so for all effects i consider myself to be a beginner and now i will be able to join a gym and access to more equipment. I lost muscle during the weight loss and i didn't had much to begin with and so im looking for a workout/bulking program to gain some muscle and then after that cut and try to get rid of this skinny fat curse.

The thing is that i have been looking at so many programs that i don't even know what to choose and what one is better/which to choose. I used the "find a plan" section on bb.com and was considering Kris Gethin 12 week trainer, but it seems that seems to be more of a cutting program, but i thought i could cut the amounts of cardio and still eat at a surplus. I also looked into Derek Charlebois 12-Week Bulking Trainer but i don't know if that would be a good workout and there aren't many people posting results of it.
    I then started seeing other plans, like the ones on the stickies here and the others on bb.com that i don't know which one to pick for me and if i should stick with a plan with fewer exercises or something that has more exercises per workout. Im confused on what is the best one to start =/

- Considering that im skinny fat beginner, can someone recommend me a workout program?

In terms of diet i will be eating from 2300-2400 cals ( im 133lb and 5'4) and i will get around 135g of protein, 190g and close to 50g of fat. Are the carbs to high? or i shouldn't worry to much about that now? That was other doubt i had.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
    Last edited by sgriffin31; 07-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Any good beginner program program from the sticky threads will work.
    ICF's 5x5 is a great routine.

You need to recompose your diet though.
    Read THIS
    Calculate your proper TDEE/MACROS and eat at a 10-20% surplus for a lean bulk.

Please do not follow the Gethin routine, especially the diet.
    It's geared towards pushing supplements with complete disregard towards its effect on your health.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sgriffin31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply.

I will check out ICF's 5x5. I will also look more into my diet and tweak it more with the proper macros. The only supplements i was planning to use were Whey protein, caffeine from coffee/green tea(if that is considered a supplement), but is there something else that would be helpful? I don't have much money to spend on supplements and whey is not cheap, but if there was one more supplement that would be useful i'll see if i can buy it.

Also, and i know this might depend on the person/workout/goals, but how long does a bulk usually lasts? Is something like 4-5 months a realistic time frame? Its just to have an idea because i plan to do the bulk until i see that i have had enough/good gains.

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sgriffin31 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I will check out ICF's 5x5. I will also look more into my diet and tweak it more with the proper macros. The only supplements i was planning to use were Whey protein, caffeine from coffee/green tea(if that is considered a supplement), but is there something else that would be helpful? I don't have much money to spend on supplements and whey is not cheap, but if there was one more supplement that would be useful i'll see if i can buy it.

Also, and i know this might depend on the person/workout/goals, but how long does a bulk usually lasts? Is something like 4-5 months a realistic time frame? Its just to have an idea because i plan to do the bulk until i see that i have had enough/good gains.
    Only take the supplements you feel like taking, they are not neccessary by any means.
    If your diet is in check you'll see results.

Now as far as perisnal recommendation a protein can be great to help you hit any macro shortage you may be at, creatine can also be great for adding mass.
    Like I said though, nothing is neccessary.

Your bulk can last as long as youre comfortable with, there is no set time frame.
    Some guys will bulk for 2-3 months than do a small cut to try and constantly be at a muscular/cut looking physique, well other guys will bulk for over a year to try and add as much mass as possible without stopping.
    It's personal preference, bulk until the mirror tells you to stop.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

Thanks!
    I will just keep with the program as long as i have to.
    Whey protein is definitely on my order list and it will be especially helpful to get to the g of protein i need.I might also creatine a try . I was also looking into BCAA, do you think those would be useful or the amount that comes with the protein powder will be enough?

Thanks!
    Whey protein is definitely on my order list and it will be especially helpful to get to the g of protein i need.I might also creatine a try . I was also looking into BCAA, do you think those would be useful or the amount that comes with the protein powder will be enough?
    Between a balanced diet and the protein powder you should be fine, it's as with any supplement though you can take them if you'd like.
    I actually a quiet enjoy using BCAA's as my intra workout for a bit of variety/flavor as opposed to just drinking water.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Thanks for all the help and info, i really appreciate it.
    I will look into the BCAA also.
    Hopefully in some months i will be posting about a successful bulk/gains

DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hugeqb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks!
    Just throwing this out there, "Body-fortress super advanced whey protein" is about $15 at walmart for 2 lbs. by far the cheapest per gram of protein I have seen, and it has BCAA and doesn't taste too bad and mixes well. That said, I'm sure someone on here would be able tp find a way to complain about it now that I recommended it. Personally, I find its cheapest way possible to hit macros. Maybe I'm missing something as to why so many people mess around with the $30+ GNC tubs

Thanks for the reply.
    I will check that link, it seems to have great info.
    The supplements here are not that cheap, i usually get a 5lb (2.2kg) whey cointeiner for around 45$/35€ and i don't go to the most expensive brands or buy those when they are on sale for that price. Here the 2lb ones cast around half the price, so i think the 5lb is worth it.