Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Seemed to have plateau'ed and could use some advice

I've run into an issue here, and I'm not sure that I'm even identifying it properly because I'm still fairly new to a lot of this stuff. From mid-January through May I lost approximately 40 lbs without any particular diet, it was simply eating less food. I wasn't counting calories, I wasn't sticking to macros, I was simply eating less. I started lifting the following week using the Rippetoe "Starting Strength" plan and began sticking to ~150/120/60 protein/carbs/fat diet, which I had held to pretty rigidly. My measurements when I started were as follows:

- weight 208 (appx 2 lbs/week)
    - bf 34%
    - chest 43.5
    - waist 43
    - hips 40

Yesterday when I weighed in and took measurements I found the following:

- weight 205 (half lb/week)
    - bf 28%
    - chest 42
    - waist 41
    - hips 38

This is 6 weeks after starting to lift heavy. I know that weight isn't the best indicator of progress, but it's been a little frustrating seeing a good rate of weight loss all but evaporate. What I want to ask if whether the other measurements are good progress for a 6 week period? I know with n00b gains lots of things are possible, but it seems like too much to believe that I'm putting on appx 1.5 lbs of muscle per week, doesn't it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've attached a comparison picture from the time I started working out until now. I'm not expecting miracles, I'm still a fat guy who has a long way to go, but is this progress alright?
    Attached Images

Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raver32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Baynyn View Post
    I've run into an issue here, and I'm not sure that I'm even identifying it properly because I'm still fairly new to a lot of this stuff. From mid-January through May I lost approximately 40 lbs without any particular diet, it was simply eating less food. I wasn't counting calories, I wasn't sticking to macros, I was simply eating less. I started lifting the following week using the Rippetoe "Starting Strength" plan and began sticking to ~150/120/60 protein/carbs/fat diet, which I had held to pretty rigidly. My measurements when I started were as follows:

- weight 208 (appx 2 lbs/week)
    - bf 34%
    - chest 43.5
    - waist 43
    - hips 40

Yesterday when I weighed in and took measurements I found the following:

- weight 205 (half lb/week)
    - bf 28%
    - chest 42
    - waist 41
    - hips 38

This is 6 weeks after starting to lift heavy. I know that weight isn't the best indicator of progress, but it's been a little frustrating seeing a good rate of weight loss all but evaporate. What I want to ask if whether the other measurements are good progress for a 6 week period? I know with n00b gains lots of things are possible, but it seems like too much to believe that I'm putting on appx 1.5 lbs of muscle per week, doesn't it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've attached a comparison picture from the time I started working out until now. I'm not expecting miracles, I'm still a fat guy who has a long way to go, but is this progress alright?
    I don't pay attention to weight near as much as I do my measurements. Weight has a lot of factors (muscle, fat, water, the effects of creatine to bloat a bit), so its very inaccurate.

Your BF% and measurements all show significant improvements! Good work!

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to continue to lose, you are going to have to start tracking calories.
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baynyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sourmash1973 View Post
    If you want to continue to lose, you are going to have to start tracking calories.
    Sorry, I didn't make that clear at all from my first post. Since May I have been tracking very carefully. I weigh everything and if I don't know exactly what's in it, I don't eat it.

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't trust body fat measurements, unless you did a dexascan or something - scales, handheld monitors and calipers are all unreliable.

Based on your macros, you're eating about 1,600-1,700 calories a day, which is very low and should be producing significant fat loss. Candidly, your weight loss (3 pounds in 6 weeks) is very sub-par. Something's wrong. I tend to think you're eating much more than your macros indicate.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a carb re-feed and/or diet break, since you've been cutting for about 7 months. 9 times out of 10, though, when these "plateau" threads pop up, the OP has been eating more than they realize.
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    how long have you been stalled?

how accurately have you been counting? do you weigh and count everything that goes into your mouth. glass of milk, beer, dipping sauces, salad dressing, olive oil spray, coffee creamer, etc...
    Stern Crew

Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    Don't trust body fat measurements, unless you did a dexascan or something - scales, handheld monitors and calipers are all unreliable.

Based on your macros, you're eating about 1,600-1,700 calories a day, which is very low and should be producing significant fat loss. Candidly, your weight loss (3 pounds in 6 weeks) is very sub-par. Something's wrong. I tend to think you're eating much more than your macros indicate.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a carb re-feed and/or diet break, since you've been cutting for about 7 months. 9 times out of 10, though, when these "plateau" threads pop up, the OP has been eating more than they realize.
    I realize the bf% aren't going to be completely accurate, but they should be consistent. The kcal intake is about right, I peg my TEE at 2100-2200 and try to get in at 80%. I agree the weight loss has been sub-par, I wanted to get some confirmation that I wasn't alone in thinking that. I'll look into a carb re-feed/diet break. I want to make sure I do it the right way and not cause a problem that I'll have a tougher time working off.

Originally Posted by Retoaded;
    how long have you been stalled?

how accurately have you been counting? do you weigh and count everything that goes into your mouth. glass of milk, beer, dipping sauces, salad dressing, olive oil spray, coffee creamer, etc...
    From a weight loss standpoint, I've been stalled since the week I started working out, so about 6 weeks.

Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've definitely made some progress there. I don't think you are low enough yet in body fat to need a refeed yet though. That would probably just slow you down at this point. Also, I would drop percentages and measure by the gram. i.e. 205g protein/92g fat/and rest carbs. Just make sure you stay within your calorie deficit. If 500 kcals below maintenance has slowed, then do -750 and see how your body responds.
    advertising not permitted

Registered User billthekill2012's Avatar
    billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) billthekill2012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's really good progress so far bro.

You're definitely got some type of recomp going on from your newbie gains. So, just the scale weight is not going to give you the whole picture of what's going on. In your case, (at least in the beginning) it's not a simple case of calories in vs calories out = how much you should weigh.

Losing a pound of fat = -3500 calories
    Gaining a pound of muscle = +600 calories

For now, I would say keep track of your waist measure as it is a fairly decent indicator of how you are doing.
    Every inch you lose is around 5lb of fat loss. This varies a lot from individual but, for someone with lots of bf I think it's pretty close.

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Baynyn View Post

From a weight loss standpoint, I've been stalled since the week I started working out, so about 6 weeks.
    Actually, you haven't. You lost 3 lbs.

I would like to know a general timeline of when that 3lb loss occurred over the course of those 6 weeks.

My assumption right now is that you've just begun a lifting program and you're going to see an increase in bodyweight (or decrease in weight loss) due to fluid retention. This can take a few weeks to normalize and it can really, really throw off fat loss.

Now the other possibilities are that your total energy expenditure has decreased a bit, and your intake tracking isn't quite as accurate for whatever reason, and those are two things you're going to have to try and manage, but the fluid thing you can't do anything about and it happens to just about everyone when beginning a training program.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

Originally Posted by billthekill2012 View Post
    Losing a pound of fat = -3500 calories
    Gaining a pound of muscle = +600 calories
    I knew the first stat but didn't know the second. Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by SideSteal
    I would like to know a general timeline of when that 3lb loss occurred over the course of those 6 weeks.

My assumption right now is that you've just begun a lifting program and you're going to see an increase in bodyweight (or decrease in weight loss) due to fluid retention. This can take a few weeks to normalize and it can really, really throw off fat loss.
    Here are the stats I've kept from the week I started lifting:

6/2 - 207.7 lbs - 32.03%
    6/9 - 206.6 lbs - 30.26%
    6/16 - 212.2 lbs - 29.25%
    6/23 - 205 lbs - 29.55%
    6/30 - 204.4 lbs - 28.65%
    7/7 - 205.2 lbs - 28.51%
    7/14 - 205.4 lbs - 28.47%

Originally Posted by SideStep
    Actually, you haven't. You lost 3 lbs.
    You're correct. I haven't stalled, and I'm not completely hopeless at the situation, I'm just trying to understand what might be going on. I would be perfectly ok with losing .5 lbs a week for a while because evenutally I'll get to my target of 10%bf at whatever weight that happens. But I appreciate all the input from those of you that have experience doing this.
    Last edited by Baynyn; 07-16-2013 at 08:04 PM.