phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

how do oly lifters program the squat.

I have switched to oly squatting and front squatting after about a year of rippetoe low bar. My low bar was up to 360 before i got tired of being paranoid about depth and the generally ugly way my squat looked. decided to just touch hams to calves each rep.

I am not interested in clean and jerk or snatches right now (maybe in the future) but i am definitely interested in improving my front squat. I was back squatting 360 parallel and then tried front squat for the first time with 225 and could not do it. I was like wtf have i been doing the last year with this low bar half squat mess.

I would like to get my front squat to at least my bench press, 305. 315 is a nice goal, and i have seen plenty of videos of guys much smaller than me banging out 315.

How do oly lifters program the squat? Is it just 3x5 linear progression? I have been doing 5x3 on fronts for 3 weeks, 3x a week. Started really light, now at 255.

I have found conflicting info about programming for olympic squats and would like info or suggestions from anyone with experience with this.
    ---Likes front squats more than back squats crew---
    ---Likes overhead press more than bench press crew---
    ---Can't argue with deadlifts crew---

Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...36831&page=457

I talked about some of the squats I have been doing on that page and on. (Post #13684). There is indeed a lot of information though. May take time to see what is best for yourself.

phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phrali has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    thanks.

i''ve read several places that front squats should not be done in high reps like back squats can be, that front squats should be kept to sets of less than 7, and high rep stuff left to the back squats. any input on this from anyone?

Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Miscamus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i'm a red
    in this here thread
    so give me some head
    or I'll get some lead
    and put a bullet in my head

kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10) kerltee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    5s are standard in weightlifting programs. triples and doubles are moreso working up to a competition. and then you have freaks like greco with his 10s.

if you're solely doing squatting follow something like smolov as i believe it is incredibly important to train at differing rep ranges. i had a problem with being strong at singles and much weaker at higher rep ranges. although how much i squat for 7 reps doesn't really matter in a competition i just think if there's a blaring weakness somewhere, it wouldn't hurt to improve it.

oh and the only reason high reps in the front squats suck is because your upper back/core fails before your legs and you get this rounding of the upper back happening while your legs can still push through.
    Training:

BP: 100kg/220lb
    FS: 130kg/287lb
    BS: 140kg/309lb
    DL: 145kg/320lb

SN: 70kg/154lb
    CJ: 90kg/198lb

http://www.youtube.com/styykez

Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000) Greco-Roman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah my squatting seemed atypical.

Most seem to say heavier is better for a weightlifter. But I've seen places like Broz squat everyday, and then Derrick Johnson and the Barnes squat once a week. Both produce fantastic lifters.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would say to work the high bar back squat along with the front as they have very similar mechanics. I'm not surprised you had to lower the weight so much, especially if you were low bar squatting only. Depending on the rest of your workouts, you could try Hatch Squat program. It's pretty intense, but only squatting 2 days a week and doing both back and front squats on both days.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    I would say to work the high bar back squat along with the front as they have very similar mechanics. I'm not surprised you had to lower the weight so much, especially if you were low bar squatting only.
    yeah i kinda figured i should high bar, had a good high bar back squat session today and it felt great. it always felt weird before front squatting for a few weeks. it's nice to not worry about "oh god am i hitting parallel" now i just touch hams to calves.

would it be reasonable to do something like alternating front and back squats? like back squat monday and friday, front squat wednesday, and then the next week fronts M and F, backs W? i think it might be a little nuts to try to fit in both every other day, especially when i'm trying to add 5 pounds every workout, am i wrong, i'm also deadlifting regularly?

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by phrali View Post
    yeah i kinda figured i should high bar, had a good high bar back squat session today and it felt great. it always felt weird before front squatting for a few weeks. it's nice to not worry about "oh god am i hitting parallel" now i just touch hams to calves.

would it be reasonable to do something like alternating front and back squats? like back squat monday and friday, front squat wednesday, and then the next week fronts M and F, backs W? i think it might be a little nuts to try to fit in both every other day, especially when i'm trying to add 5 pounds every workout, am i wrong, i'm also deadlifting regularly?
    Look up Glenn Pendlay's 5x5, it's basically what you described.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by phrali View Post

Yeah, you could do that, it's basically running Texas Method with front squats on the middle day. If you do that, then alternate the Intensity day with back squat and front squat max set.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    Look up Glenn Pendlay's 5x5, it's basically what you described.
    thanks, will check it out

CMonster23af has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CMonster23af has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could ask 10 different highly experienced individuals from 10 different parts of the world and get 10 different answers concerning this topic. Additionally, all 10 of those highly experienced individuals will likely have 10 different answers themselves depending on the individual, their training goals, etc.

I'll tell you what works for me. I like to squat as frequently as my body allows. My legs are stubborn and thus require lots of volume. Right now, that means 6 sessions a week, ranging from 70% to 90% with rep schemes including, 4x4, 4x3, 4x2, 3x3, 3x2 typically. Movements are back squat (high bar, of course) and front squat, alternating. I personally tend to taper on/off this type of frequency depending on how my body feels. Below is a sample week.

Sunday: Back Squat - 4x2 @ 90%
    Monday: Front Squat - 4x2 @ 90%
    Tuesday: Back Squat - 3x3 @ 80%
    Wednesday: Front Squat - 3x3 @ 80%
    Thursday: Back Squat - 4x4 @ 75%
    Friday: Front Squat - 4x4 @ 75%
    Saturday: Rest

Remember, that is just a sample week. Some weeks I only go to 80-85%, other weeks I might be at 90% for 4 days. Depends on where I am in training and if/when I have a competition.

At this stage in my lifting career, I typically react best to heavier sets early in the week and then tapering down as the week progresses. Squats are typically in the middle of a workout for me, with the quick lifts being first and pulls being last followed by some light bodybuilding.

The key in my experience is packing your ego away before you get to the gym and sticking to prescribed percentages (generally) instead of just "going heavy" when you squat. Your hips and knees will thank you later. Since mobility has always been an issue for me, keeping up on stretching every day without fail is a must to stay healthy. I would say this is common for most individuals venturing into this sport after the age of 20 or so. Then like I said earlier, just listen to your body. Sometimes you'll have nights where you're supposed to squat in the 85-90% range but your body just isn't cooperating. Just do what you can and come back stronger and healthier the next day.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My program is set up for heavy days:

back squat week 1 3x3 80% 1RM, week 2 3x2 85% 1RM, week 3 3x1 90, 92.5 and 95% 1RM
    front squats 3/4 sets for 8-12 reps
    Good morning 3/4 set for 8-12 reps

You'd be surprised how much front squats can help your back squat.

BTW...I also switched from low bar to Olympic about 7 weeks ago. best move that I made, IMO.
    OG