Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500)

Thumbs up Soccer strength training

I just started playing soccer. I'm 5'7 131 lbs, so I'm quite skinny. Would it be a good idea to do Starting Strength or something similar for some months to put on mass, and then switch to a high-rep "soccer" routine with various versions of squat etc?

Or will low reps just make me slow?

ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10) ricknadell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kelto10 View Post
    I just started playing soccer. I'm 5'7 131 lbs, so I'm quite skinny. Would it be a good idea to do Starting Strength or something similar for some months to put on mass, and then switch to a high-rep "soccer" routine with various versions of squat etc?

Or will low reps just make me slow?
    Low reps will never make you slow. They increase your force producing power and thus will slightly increase (or at least maintain) speed. Starting strength is solid. Use the barbell work in that alongside a solid program of plyos(in my opinion the most underutilized way to get faster) and conditioning - do lots of glycolitic training (ie. 150 yard shuttle with 1:00 rest)
    Rick Nadell MS, CSCS
    Owner, Performance Revolution
    www.performrev.com
    https://www.********.com/PerformanceRevolution
    https://twitter.com/perform_rev

Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500) Kelto10 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ricknadell View Post
    Low reps will never make you slow. They increase your force producing power and thus will slightly increase (or at least maintain) speed. Starting strength is solid. Use the barbell work in that alongside a solid program of plyos(in my opinion the most underutilized way to get faster) and conditioning - do lots of glycolitic training (ie. 150 yard shuttle with 1:00 rest)
    Okay, so should I stick to SS for some months to get mass and strength (and eat a lot) and then afterwards switch to high-rep one-legged squats and lunges etc?

Currently I work out 3 days of the week. Should I do plyo's on those days before / after lifting? And do you have a program to suggest?

Glycolitic training - never heard of it, google shows nothing... do you mean HIIT / Interval training?

RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RubenOlivares is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Okay, so should I stick to SS for some months to get mass and strength (and eat a lot) and then afterwards switch to high-rep one-legged squats and lunges etc?

Currently I work out 3 days of the week. Should I do plyo's on those days before / after lifting? And do you have a program to suggest?

Glycolitic training - never heard of it, google shows nothing... do you mean HIIT / Interval training?
    Why the urge to switch to high-rep work?

There are periods where higher rep work can be beneficial to induce more hypertrophy, but in the initial stages you'll not only see hypertrophy but probably an increase in speed due to increased neural efficiency.
    Yo momma's research methodology is so flawed...

Originally Posted by RubenOlivares View Post
    Why the urge to switch to high-rep work?

There are periods where higher rep work can be beneficial to induce more hypertrophy, but in the initial stages you'll not only see hypertrophy but probably an increase in speed due to increased neural efficiency.
    Well, basically evey program I have seen says high reps for muscle endurance and explosivity is far better for soccer than just maximal strength.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, basically evey program I have seen says high reps for muscle endurance and explosivity is far better for soccer than just maximal strength.
    Then every program you've ever read is bunkum, I'm afraid. High reps build explosiveness under few circumstances. And even then, it's essentially by mistake. Muscular endurance is a ho-hum quality at best. The weight training component contributes a tiny percentage of your endurance capacity. Your conditioning program looks after that. I've never heard any athlete who managed to improve their conditioning over 90 minutes by increasing from 6 rep sets to 15 rep sets.

On the contrary, in fact.