Wojo1721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help building a bulking routine

Hey guys, first post here. I recently graduated high school, and am getting back into dedicated lifting. I was a 4 year 3 sport athlete(football, basketball, track) at a large D1 school constantly ranked in the top athletic high school programs in the nation. That being said I'm no stranger to working out. My problem has always been gaining weight and size. I have a small frame and stature at 5'9 155, but my body fat is sub 6% depending on the day due to blessed genetics and diet granting me an incredible metabolism. I've always been strong for my size, especially in my posterior. Up top I have good size and definition, but the strength is lacking. My weight distribution is skewed with much more being in my legs. I was all state in track and all conference football due to my speed( <4.4 40, 37.5 standing vertical, my legs are strong and I weigh next to nothing) but I lack the size, skill, and desire to play college. So that's me. I did not mean to boast or brag, I'm actually quite humble. I just know the more you guys know the more you can help.

Moving on, I want to lift 3-4 times a week. I'm really going for upper body size to even out my lower body Dominance. I still plan on lifting legs, but I'll do my own routine, just tell me what day. I also do cardio 3-4 times a week in 3+hour basketball sessions.

So essentially I really want to gain bigger arms and chest. That's where I am lacking most. My shoulders are good as well as my back, and they will get better with training. But I want to focus on chest and arms, I know how college of me. As well as abs, I want to continue working them out and getting better.

I come here because I know how much you all know, and I appreciate any help you give me with gaining size and workouts I can so. I'm sure ill be criticized but it happens. Again thank you all for help!

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1st off do not just focus on your chest and arms, you'll end up looking ridiculous.
    Pick a good starters program from this section (located in the sticky threads) to build a solid strong muscle base.

If you're not gaining size it means your diet is incorrect and you're not eating enough.
    Go to the nutrition section and read the stickies to learn about basic nutrition and how to eat properly to achieve your goal.

Partner a good beginners program with proper nutrition and you'll be on your way to results.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

Ha it's not my diet. It's the lack of supplements. I eat we'll over 4500 calories everyday, and it's extremely healthy carb and protein rich food. My moms a health freak. And obviously I'm not going to just lift my arms and chest, I stated that's where I need my gains the most. My body is naturally not proportional: my legs are enormous, my arms are decent, my chest is non existent. I aim to correct it. I'm not looking for a beginners workout. I know the excesses. I've lifted for around 5 years. No not just curls and bench, but compound and Olympic lifts. I was just inquiring about how I can add more size and correct non proportional sizes

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you have lifted for 5 years I would think you already know the answer is to train your whole body properly and add extra volume to the parts you feel are lagging.
    The floundering has ended.

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Wojo1721 View Post
    Ha it's not my diet. It's the lack of supplements. I eat we'll over 4500 calories everyday, and it's extremely healthy carb and protein rich food. My moms a health freak. And obviously I'm not going to just lift my arms and chest, I stated that's where I need my gains the most. My body is naturally not proportional: my legs are enormous, my arms are decent, my chest is non existent. I aim to correct it. I'm not looking for a beginners workout. I know the excesses. I've lifted for around 5 years. No not just curls and bench, but compound and Olympic lifts. I was just inquiring about how I can add more size and correct non proportional sizes
    No it's not.
    If you're not adding size it is your diet.
    You're not consuming 4500 cal/day (99% sure) because you'd be putting on a lot of fat.
    I'd be willing to bet you really have o clue what you're getting daily as far as caloriesor macros.

As for your BOLDED statement, that's completely wrong.
    Supplements are entirely unnecessary for achieving results.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    No it's not.
    If you're not adding size it is your diet.
    You're not consuming 4500 cal/day (99% sure) because you'd be putting on a lot of fat.
    I'd be willing to bet you really have o clue what you're getting daily as far as caloriesor macros.

As for your BOLDED statement, that's completely wrong.
    Supplements are entirely unnecessary for achieving results.
    No it's not, I mean I'll be honest my diet isn't consistent calorie wise. But I certainly eat well over 3000 everyday. Mostly everything is fat free besides milk and meat. I think a lot of it has to do with my metabolism and my cardio. And my only luck has been supplements as far as gaining weight. Since my body is accustumed to such high caloric intake, the extra 600-1000 calories in a mass shake help. I'm not saying I know everything haha I don't want you to think that. You all know more than me, I'm just a kid, well young adult. And just because I've been lifting for 5 years, which I have, it hasn't been consistent do to sports, sometimes 2 times a week, if that. And they have all been controlled and monitored by our weight coach. My point was that I've done my fair share of excersises, however I don't know which ones will be best.
    Again I'm not trying to have a pissing contest. I respect all of you guys, that's why I came here.

Edit: and as far as calorie count goes, like I said it varies. But I would say at least over 3000 everyday, cuz once a month ill count( like I said moms a health nut) and I generally average 3500-4000. But as I said it really varies. But I do eat a lot of organic and fat free things. Aside from milk which is whole. Can the natural fatty acids have that much of an impact?
    Last edited by Wojo1721; 07-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Originally Posted by Wojo1721 View Post
    No it's not, I mean I'll be honest my diet isn't consistent calorie wise. But I certainly eat well over 3000 everyday. Mostly everything is fat free besides milk and meat. I think a lot of it has to do with my metabolism and my cardio. And my only luck has been supplements as far as gaining weight. Since my body is accustumed to such high caloric intake, the extra 600-1000 calories in a mass shake help. I'm not saying I know everything haha I don't want you to think that. You all know more than me, I'm just a kid, well young adult. And just because I've been lifting for 5 years, which I have, it hasn't been consistent do to sports, sometimes 2 times a week, if that. And they have all been controlled and monitored by our weight coach. My point was that I've done my fair share of excersises, however I don't know which ones will be best.
    Again I'm not trying to have a pissing contest. I respect all of you guys, that's why I came here.
    Look at what you said :
    If your only luck gaining weight has been by consuming a mass gainer shake (or "supplement") that means you're not eating enough food.
    It doesn't mean supplements are the key to success, all a mass gainer shake is, is a powdered form of food, it has no miracle ingredients that are leading to your weight gain.
    It's the extra 600-1000 calories that are leading to your gains, which means you need to just consume more food.

Please consult the stickies threads in the nutrition forum for an understanding of proper dieting and how to figure out how much food you should be consuming.

As far as your program, just select a good beginners program from the sticky threads in this forum and start there.

Combine a good beginners program with proper nutrition and you'll be on the right path.

*Final Note* STOP AVOIDING FATS! : your body requires a certain amount of fat intake for proper balance, also fats are 2x's as calorie dense as protein/carbs so its a great way to get in those extra calories you need. Contrary to popular belief, consuming fat is not what makes you fat.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Yeah, I understand that I could just eat more food... That's just a lot of food, and I don't know what I would add or when, the shakes were convienant cuz I mix and drink before bed. And as far as other supplements go, I more or less anti-supplement. I prefer to stay natural, cuz it's cheaper and easier, but I will take protein, creatine, and pre workout from time to time. With the fats, I figured as much, that's why I always insist on whole milk, and drink it like water. However, my father at a healthy 6'2 210, has never been overweight, but has cholesterol problems, and I've normally associated fat with cholesterol.

So anytips on when to squeeze in another meal? I normally eat about 3 big meals a day(B,L, D) , with 2 smaller ones, then snacks if I get hungry.

Just eat whenever it's convienent.
    It can be a pain in the as trying to cram in all of those extra calories but you gotta just get it down.
    If you can only do 3 big meals than just pack em in during those meals, consider doubling up on portions.

Also this is where fats come into play.
    You get 9 cals per gram with fat as compared to 4 cals per gram with protein and carbs.

Just focus on consuming the healthier kinds of fats and you'll be fine.
    Great sources are nuts, fish, olive oil, most salad dressings, just browse around and do a bit of googling you can find all sorts of possibilities.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �