Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donnyten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

An ectomorph on a small budget

Hello. I'm Donny. I am African American, 6'1, and weigh 145 pounds. Like many of my ectomorph if brethren, I want to get stronger and put on some weight. I am sick of people telling me how skinny I am and I'm sick of people putting their fingers around my wrists and saying ' damn Youz a twig'. I get if I punched you your body would shatter!

That is enough motivation for be to put on some pounds and round some of these bony shoulders off but the problem is I don't have much money to pay for my weight gain. On average I get 200 bucks a month on food stamps, but between me and my girlfriend the food only lasts us for about 17 days and she's the opposite of me, a lil chunky and she wants to lose weight. I make 580 bucks every two weeks, 200 which goes toward my car, and utilities that are about 120 bucks, plus car insurance which is 30 bucks monthly. Here at the hospital where I work, I kind of have access to scandishake instant shake mixes which are around 580 calories when mixed with milk.

I guess my question is how in the hell is it possible for me to gain weight with little funds? I côuld of course just go to the gym but I wouldn't gain anything, ill just be a skinny ripped guy and might actually end up loosing weight.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    First off, you're not an Ectomorph, body types are made up terms for people failing at their goals due to improper knowledge on how to achieve their physique.

Sounds like your biggest issue is proper budgeting, if you're getting $200/month in food stamps alone that is plenty to consume a proper diet.
    My wife and I spend >$125/month on groceries and we eat plentifully, and I still successfully bulk.
    Buy when stuffs on sale, buy 1 get 1, use coupons, just budget properly.

Head over to the nutrition forums to get a basic understanding of nutrition, partner that with a solid beginners program from the sticky threads in this section and you'll see results.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Milk. A gallon is something like 2800 calories and costs about 3 bucks. I dunno the cost and calories of chocolate milk, but I know the calories would be even higher. Drink a gallon every day along with some inexpensive food and work out at a gym if you can.
    The floundering has ended.

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    Milk. A gallon is something like 2800 calories and costs about 3 bucks. I dunno the cost and calories of chocolate milk, but I know the calories would be even higher. Drink a gallon every day along with some inexpensive food and work out at a gym if you can.
    This is horrible advice, for sanity's sake you should focus on getting your calories from whole food, not processed or liquid.
    Milk can be a great way to add a bit of calories and protein if mixed with a shake or maybe consume a glass a day, but please do not drink a gallon a day trying to hit calories.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    for sanity's sake you should focus on getting your calories from whole food, not processed or liquid.
    makes sense on a cut. not necessarily on a bulk.

makes sense on a cut. not necessarily on a bulk.
    It's still horrible advice, there is so much wrong with that suggestion.

-Even on a bulk, milk is going to offer little long term satiety so OP is going to constantly be hungry
    -Micronutrients are going to be very deficient
    -Even though carbs are unnecessary milk offers little to none and could lead to OP feeling sick, tired, and losing any motivation to workout
    -the list goes on, please do not suggest this anymore.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

It's still horrible advice, there is so much wrong with that suggestion.

-Even on a bulk, milk is going to offer little long term satiety so OP is going to constantly be hungry
    -Micronutrients are going to be very deficient
    -Even though carbs are unnecessary milk offers little to none and could lead to OP feeling sick, tired, and losing any motivation to workout
    -the list goes on, please do not suggest this anymore.
    you get the satiety from the solid food that goes with it
    micronutrients from the food that goes with it
    plain milk has more carbs than any other macro. chocolate even more.

you act as if i have said just drink milk and don't eat anything which is not the case at all.

in regards to this v refer to the statement you made here ^

you act as if i have said just drink milk and don't eat anything which is not the case at all.
    That's 2,800 calories a day strictly from milk, leaving between 200-400 cal/day he can consume from food.
    That's not going to offer **** for satiety, so I don't see how you think he'll be able to consume enough food for satiety.
    Also if he's drinking a gallon a day at $3/gallon that's $90/month on milk, almost half of his grocery budget.

Just accept that your suggestion was a poor one and move on, stop trying to make it sound logical, it doesn't.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

in regards to this v refer to the statement you made here ^

That's 2,800 calories a day strictly from milk, leaving between 200-400 cal/day he can consume from food.
    That's not going to offer **** for satiety, so I don't see how you think he'll be able to consume enough food for satiety.
    Also if he's drinking a gallon a day at $3/gallon that's $90/month on milk, almost half of his grocery budget.

Just accept that your suggestion was a poor one and move on, stop trying to make it sound logical, it doesn't.
    if his calorie requirement is 3000-3200 then yes, and he could drink less of it. It is just a general example. The main point is that milk is a good and cheap way to suppliment calories.

rwebster85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm also a "skinny" guy, but have always had a defined form. I've always struggled to gain weight no matter what I ate, and how much I threw down my throat. However over the last 6 months (it's not an over-night process) I've noticed good gains by following these basic things:

First workout hard, and include core exercises like squats, bench presses, dead lifts etc, on a regular routine. I do 5 out of 7 days. Lift heavy, but high rep exercises also help to. So I don't just do 4-4-4-4 of my max weight, I'll mix it up and do 12-8-8-4, or drop the weight and do 20-15-10-8 (just examples).

Secondly eat as much as you can, but concentrate on high carb, high protein things. I try to eat a lot of beef, chicken, pasta and potatoes. Also cake, although not healthy, is packed with calories. About 500 of my daily calories comes from carrot cake, and milkshakes. Whey protein is also a good supplement, I have a shake (1 to 2 scoops) after a workout, and the next morning. Also protein bars for snacks. Although you're better getting protein from food, I can only use about 90g of protein a day, and if a steak isn't on the menu, at least these supplements can boost when needed.

Thirdly, give yourself rewards, even if it's just noticing yourself grow slightly. It all helps with your mindset, and if you can see it working (even just a little) it'll push you to work at it more and harder.

Works for me

FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IIFYM right
    New Orleans Saints
    Only wear vans
    Fantasy football
    Latina and white chicks <3

Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smancers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Drinking a lot of milk is definitely not a bad suggestion.

Look at the facts. He is a skinny male, that has trouble gaining weight. People like him generally have trouble eating more than their maintenance.

So how can someone who has trouble eating whole, real food get the extra calories they need to bulk up. Drinking the calories with milk is definitely a good suggestion in this case.

if his calorie requirement is 3000-3200 then yes, and he could drink less of it. It is just a general example. The main point is that milk is a good and cheap way to suppliment calories.
    Than phrase things correctly.
    Your original post was "Drink a gallon of milk and hit a bit of real food"...and he'd be good.
    For a beginner who really doesn't know what's going on he's gonna see this advice and could take it much more literal than what you claim to have intended.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Originally Posted by Smancers View Post
    Drinking a lot of milk is definitely not a bad suggestion.

Look at the facts. He is a skinny male, that has trouble gaining weight. People like him generally have trouble eating more than their maintenance.

So how can someone who has trouble eating whole, real food get the extra calories they need to bulk up. Drinking the calories with milk is definitely a good suggestion in this case.
    I never said milk wasn't an option or that it was a bad suggestion, what was stated was horrible advice though, to simply drink a gallon of milk a day to hit calories is awful advice.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I never said milk wasn't an option or that it was a bad suggestion, what was stated was horrible advice though, to simply drink a gallon of milk a day to hit calories is awful advice.
    Now you are putting words in his mouth and you are in the wrong. The op asked for suggestions concerning weight gain and he said to drink a gallon of milk along with food. Milk is cheap and is very macro and micro rich. He never said to drink it exclusively.

Edit: op said his budget is tight as well.

FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10) FuzzyMuzy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Op, im on a budget too bro. I literally bulk off of peanut butter sandwiches and oatmeal.

2 tablespoons of peanut butter of pb and 2 slices of bread is generally around 300 cals.
    New Orleans Saints
    Only wear vans
    Fantasy football
    Latina and white chicks <3

Originally Posted by DrunkonMilk View Post
    Now you are putting words in his mouth and you are in the wrong. The op asked for suggestions concerning weight gain and he said to drink a gallon of milk along with food. Milk is cheap and is very macro and micro rich. He never said to drink it exclusively.

Edit: op said his budget is tight as well.
    You're just jumping in clearly not having read (or maybe you just can't comprehend it) the whole thread.
    His original suggestion was that OP could drink a gallon a milk a day and fill the remaining with food, however this would leave OP vary little room for real food, and not to mention cut his budget in half just from trying to buy enough milk.

I understand completely what he was suggesting, and it wasn't a good one.
    So you and his other little buddy both need to hop off his dick, none of you understand basic nutrition clearly, and shouldn't be offering suggestions.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

none of you understand basic nutrition clearly.
    most incorrect thing you have said

most incorrect thing you have said
    Coming from the "Drink a gallon of milk a day" guy.
    All you do is come into threads with trash advice, and "Read the link in my sig"

You're a failed sticky thread dreamer, skating a long on ****ty suggestions.
    Someone was going to call you out eventually on your lack of knowledge.

Than once you realized you were wrong you tried twisting and adjusting what you said to make it sound like you were right.
    You weren't, your suggestion was dumb, get over it, admit you we're wrong or just shut the **** up.
    Either way, I'm done with you, your lack of knowledge, and arrogance to get beside yourself is astounding and you're clearly a lost cause.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrunkonMilk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're just jumping in clearly not having read (or maybe you just can't comprehend it) the whole thread.
    His original suggestion was that OP could drink a gallon a milk a day and fill the remaining with food, however this would leave OP vary little room for real food, and not to mention cut his budget in half just from trying to buy enough milk.

I understand completely what he was suggesting, and it wasn't a good one.
    So you and his other little buddy both need to hop off his dick, none of you understand basic nutrition clearly, and shouldn't be offering suggestions.
    It is comical that you say we don't know basic nutrition, while you say that milk isn't a real food. Have you ever taken the time to look at the nutritional label on milk? The only thing missing would be his fiber and more micro nutrients. He could buy inexpensive oats, vegetables, and fruit, depending on prices. That is a whole days worth of macro and micro nutrients. Is it an exciting and varied diet? No, its not, but it is duable and extremely inexpensive. So, again explain how this is a bad suggestion?

It is comical that you say we don't know basic nutrition, while you say that milk isn't a real food. Have you ever taken the time to look at the nutritional label on milk? The only thing missing would be his fiber and more micro nutrients. He could buy inexpensive oats, vegetables, and fruit, depending on prices. That is a whole days worth of macro and micro nutrients. Is it an exciting and varied diet? No, its not, but it is duable and extremely inexpensive. So, again explain how this is a bad suggestion?
    You're just another one of those little parrots who comes into threads, quotes what someone says in agreement hoping they'll rep you and you try to sound like you know what you're talking about.
    I don't know what's worse, the original jackass suggesting to drink a gallon of milk a day, or you trying to be his little parrot.

You and your little puppet master could both do the forums much help by leaving.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

You're just another one of those little parrots who comes into threads, quotes what someone says in agreement hoping they'll rep you and you try to sound like you know what you're talking about.
    I don't know what's worse, the original jackass suggesting to drink a gallon of milk a day, or you trying to be his little parrot.

You and your little puppet master could both do the forums much help by leaving.
    You didn't answer my question. I never said I disagreed with your suggestion, so I don't get why you are so butt hurt. Op should budget, but he has barely any money to work with. In his case milk is a good option. I don't see the problem.

Edit: I don't always agree with him, we lift for different reasons, and I surely don't care about his reps, but if he gives good info I will say it is.
    Last edited by DrunkonMilk; 07-10-2013 at 12:04 PM.

You didn't answer my question. I never said I disagreed with your suggestion, so I don't get why you are so butt hurt. Op should budget, but he has barely any money to work with. In his case milk is a good option. I don't see the problem.
    If he's on such a strict budget, why would he want to spend almost 50% of it on liquid calories?
    That there is the biggest issue, you guys keep saying he can hit his micros from other food, well he's not gonna have sufficient budget left to buy enough food or the proper food to hit his micros and maintain a decent diet.

The biggest issue in this whole situation is the noobs original suggestion of an entire gallon of milk a day.
    At OP's stats a gallon of milk a day would use roughly 87% of his calories for the day, leaving him nowhere near enough calories left to eat enough whole food (non liquid form) to reach satiety or micronutrient needs.

Also leading to the statement "You don't understand basic nutrition" because if either of you did you'd clearly see why a gallon of milk a day is a horrible idea.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

If he's on such a strict budget, why would he want to spend almost 50% of it on liquid calories?
    That there is the biggest issue, you guys keep saying he can hit his micros from other food, well he's not gonna have sufficient budget left to buy enough food or the proper food to hit his micros and maintain a decent diet.

The biggest issue in this whole situation is the noobs original suggestion of an entire gallon of milk a day.
    At OP's stats a gallon of milk a day would use roughly 87% of his calories for the day, leaving him nowhere near enough calories left to eat enough whole food (non liquid form) to reach satiety or micronutrient needs.

Also leading to the statement "You don't understand basic nutrition" because if either of you did you'd clearly see why a gallon of milk a day is a horrible idea.
    How is he not going to have sufficient funds to buy vegetables, oats, and fruit? Yeah your right, I don't know his caloric needs, but at 6'1 and 145 he needs to gain weight. I can say that he will need a lot more than 3k a day to do this, all with the assumption he is going to the gym. I guess if he was sedentary a gallon of milk would be a horrible idea. With this said stop assuming he is going to bulk on 3k a day. Maybe that is what you do, but that beauty of life is that we are all different to a degree.

How is he not going to have sufficient funds to buy vegetables, oats, and fruit? Yeah your right, I don't know his caloric needs, but at 6'1 and 145 he needs to gain weight. I can say that he will need a lot more than 3k a day to do this, all with the assumption he is going to the gym. I guess if he was sedentary a gallon of milk would be a horrible idea. With this said stop assuming he is going to bulk on 3k a day. Maybe that is what you do, but that beauty of life is that we are all different to a degree.
    Even if he eats 4,000 calories a day that means almost 75% of his calories would come from the milk, and only having $100 to provide a month worth of food to be sufficient for daily needs isn't gonna happen.
    You can argue this all you want, you're not making any logical reasoning for this suggestion because it doesn't exist.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im still trying to figure out if Im a buff endo or a fat meso. Life is hard
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

Originally Posted by InspecktaDeck View Post
    Im still trying to figure out if Im a buff endo or a fat meso. Life is hard
    Dem feels brah.
    Lol @ people "Help I can't gain weight because I was born an endomorph! My dads a meso and my mom doesn't even lift so I'm screwed "
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Lol @ angry board warrior

Lol @ angry board warrior
    Lol @ people who fail at sticky thread dreams and fail to see the clear picture in front of them.
    Maybe you should do a bit of research in your "ultimate thread"
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP, gaining weight on the cheap is not difficult. Determinednoob's suggestion of milk is solid and a good start, along w/ other dairy products such as bulk packaging of cheese, eggs. Inexpensive "family size" packages of pork, chicken, certain cuts of beef like pot roasts, cross-rib or chuck roasts, round roasts. Oats, rice, peanut butter are good staples. Generic packages of frozen vegetables can be dressed up w/ spices. It just takes some extra diligence paying attention to "price per lb" and "price per ounce" markers on the packaging to find best value.

Determinednoob's list over here has more good advice for routines and other nutrition info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151032123