trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Herniated Disc - Training Legs NEED ADVICE please!

Hey guys. It's been a LONG time since I've been on bodybuilding.com due to lots of focus on my work but I've come back to look for some help as far as working out with a major injury.

I have a herniated disc (lumbar lower spine L5-S1 herniation). It is an anterior disc bulge so whenever I do a "lower ab" exercise, I feel pain relief, and whenever I do a hyperextension I receive a lot of pain and make the injury worse.

Because it is an anterior disc bulge, I cannot even ATTEMPT to squat, deadlift, glute/ham raise, leg press, lunge for the rest of my life with any kind of weight. Sucks :/ legs was my favorite body part to train.

With this in mind I've sort of accepted to fact that I will not have gargantuan legs, but at the very least I can do leg extensions and seated hamstring curls because they do not have any kind of hyperextensive movement that activates the spinal erectors.

My question is...is there ANYTHING I can do for the glutes?

I don't want to have a saggy fat @**. I'm convinced that 10 sets of leg extensions and 10 sets of hamstring curls will be more than enough to keep my legs a medium size and at least have some kind of separation/toneness so I don't have some skinny fat legs, but I can't think of any exercises that activate the glutes without hyperextension of the spine.

trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10) trenofuu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nobody has had this issue?

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are many lifters here w/ L5-S1 herniation but you'll probably have to do some "search ninja" (I'm not one of them). From what I've observed, some can still squat, some can still DL, few can do both however. You might re-post this in the Exercise forum (some of them frequent that forum moreso than here). Other strategies involve exercise selection -- unilateral work such as Bulgarian Split Squats can hit posterior chain really well, while loading the back very little. BSS in particular is reco'ed by many strength & conditioning coaches for this reason.

... article from Ben Bruno, who also shares your L5-S1 issue: https://www.t-nation.com/free_online...n_split_squats
    Last edited by SkydogGinsberg; 07-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have herniated disc with L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1, and I have had this going on for the past 3 years.

What I have done and what you should do is as below:

- Go to a doctor, get some medicines/creams
    - MRI scan
    - Physio therapy
    - Take a little time off from the gym (If you have major pain)
    - When you go back to the gym, ask your physio for strengthening/stretching exercises.

I had about 52 physio therapy sessions, done strengthening exercises, and when I went back to the gym, I avoided A LOT of exercises.

By time, I was able to do ball squats, leg extension, lunges, etc..

And as time passed I was able to do heavy squats, dumbbells lunges, etc.. but I totally avoid bent over rows, deads and so should you, basically anything that will cause a strain on your back.

For ABS, you can do leg raises (have your back supported though), some crunches (floor) and don't go all the way up, just partial movements..etc

I learned to live with the pain honestly.

If you have any questions let me know.
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

I truly appreciate your comments. Means a lot considering the suffering I've gone through with this injury.

I got my MRI and all that, and am scheduled for a cortisone injection on Monday.

The issue with my injury is that ANY TIME my body is in an upright position, the disc is being pushed forward. This being said I have a hunched forward duck walk. I CANNOT stand up straight without harming myself (doesn't necessarily hurt but I can feel the disc herniation being further shoved).

Also know that after my herniation, I did squats and deadlifts..and right now I CAN. But a lot of people with an L5-S1 herniation don't realize that although they can physically do these things, they have an unstable spine so either it crushes their spine over time or pushes the herniation in slowly. My herniation originally was a very small bulge where I said "screw it I can still squat/deadlift it doesn't hurt much" and now I'm here to where I have trouble getting out of bed without someone to help me.

So the big thing I have to ask is are there any exercises that contract the glutes while the body is in a non-hyperextensive position? I tried glute ham raises today but stopped at the neutral point...I thought my glutes were being worked but idk if that's enough.

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trenofuu View Post
    I truly appreciate your comments. Means a lot considering the suffering I've gone through with this injury.

I got my MRI and all that, and am scheduled for a cortisone injection on Monday.

The issue with my injury is that ANY TIME my body is in an upright position, the disc is being pushed forward. This being said I have a hunched forward duck walk. I CANNOT stand up straight without harming myself (doesn't necessarily hurt but I can feel the disc herniation being further shoved).

Also know that after my herniation, I did squats and deadlifts..and right now I CAN. But a lot of people with an L5-S1 herniation don't realize that although they can physically do these things, they have an unstable spine so either it crushes their spine over time or pushes the herniation in slowly. My herniation originally was a very small bulge where I said "screw it I can still squat/deadlift it doesn't hurt much" and now I'm here to where I have trouble getting out of bed without someone to help me.

So the big thing I have to ask is are there any exercises that contract the glutes while the body is in a non-hyperextensive position? I tried glute ham raises today but stopped at the neutral point...I thought my glutes were being worked but idk if that's enough.
    knowthatfeel.jpg

Try ball squatting, hack squat (that has a back support) and go a little deep, relying on your back being supported, it should work your glutes.

Cortisone injections will make you feel better as well, please do consider physio therapy, strengthening/stretching exercises, they will help a ton with getting out of bed, bending, not walking properly..etc
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    I have herniated disc with L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1, and I have had this going on for the past 3 years.

What I have done and what you should do is as below:

- Go to a doctor, get some medicines/creams
    - MRI scan
    - Physio therapy
    - Take a little time off from the gym (If you have major pain)
    - When you go back to the gym, ask your physio for strengthening/stretching exercises.

I had about 52 physio therapy sessions, done strengthening exercises, and when I went back to the gym, I avoided A LOT of exercises.

By time, I was able to do ball squats, leg extension, lunges, etc..

And as time passed I was able to do heavy squats, dumbbells lunges, etc.. but I totally avoid bent over rows, deads and so should you, basically anything that will cause a strain on your back.

For ABS, you can do leg raises (have your back supported though), some crunches (floor) and don't go all the way up, just partial movements..etc

I learned to live with the pain honestly.

If you have any questions let me know.

Pretty much everything I've been going through for the past 10 years. It's a constant struggle trying to balance the pain with function.

One thing I'd add is stretching and foam/ball rolling. I've found that foam rolling for my back, glutes, and hams to really help.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Pretty much everything I've been going through for the past 10 years. It's a constant struggle trying to balance the pain with function.

One thing I'd add is stretching and foam/ball rolling. I've found that foam rolling for my back, glutes, and hams to really help.
    10 years? Damn, sorry about that bro.

I mentioned stretching above, but I have never tried foam rolling before, I'll definitely give that a try, thanks.

I foam roll and do physical therapy exercises regularly. At this point functioning/pain is being dealt with as effectively as possible. Now I just want to TRAIN! haha but srsly glutes are the only real problem point

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, I kept stretching my back and wondering why it wasn't getting any better. For me, glutes and hammies were REALLY linked to all my troubles. I might feel it in my back, but tight hams, and overpowering glutes (read: big ass), really don't help.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MasterBench is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Yeah, I kept stretching my back and wondering why it wasn't getting any better. For me, glutes and hammies were REALLY linked to all my troubles. I might feel it in my back, but tight hams, and overpowering glutes (read: big ass), really don't help.
    I have herniated l4/l5 bulged l5/S1 and DL/Squat fine. Though everyone's case is different I suggest you do the following.
    1. Stretch. Hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, back, are extremely important.
    2. Foam roll. Everyday. Erectors, glutes, hams, quads, IT band, and whereever else you please

If you have access to it use a reverse hyper extension machine. Simmons swears by them.

Originally Posted by MasterBench View Post
    I have herniated l4/l5 bulged l5/S1 and DL/Squat fine. Though everyone's case is different I suggest you do the following.
    1. Stretch. Hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, back, are extremely important.
    2. Foam roll. Everyday. Erectors, glutes, hams, quads, IT band, and whereever else you please

If you have access to it use a reverse hyper extension machine. Simmons swears by them.
    Interesting...do you have discomfort/pain/limited mobility throughout the day 24/7?

I foam roll and stretch DAILY. I also do core movements for the lower abs to help support my lower back.

When I do a squat, the issue is not the movement, but the fact that my spine is now unstable so it feels like its getting crushed.
    Deadlifts push my herniations in.

And from what you're saying it sounds like you have a posterior bulge, not an anterior bulge (caused by picking heavy stuff off the ground with a rounded back). An anterior bulge is harmed by spinal erector stimulation. A posterior bulge is aided by it.

My pain/mobility ebbs and flows over the day/weeks.

Bad days, I'm near bed ridden/ stuck on the sofa chair. Semi-bad days, I have to give up on putting on socks. Good days, I'm full of function and vigour.

I'd like to say I KNOW what's causing it each time. But honestly, a misstep here, a water park there, and it "just happens" sometimes. Overall, I think I'm trending better, but every so often, it likes to come back and remind me who's in charge.

Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50) Planteater will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi,

I'm not sure, not being you, what exactly it is that limits you here but a couple thoughts....
    1. If you can ghr, great, but as you suspect, that is not hitting gluteus.
    2. Can you squat with plates hanging on a hip dip belt? If so, great. But I am guessing no, because your hips are moving and in flex ion. On the other hand, the back is barely loaded if at all so it might be worth trying.
    3. Whenever you can remember to, isometric ally contract your gluteus. Be a total tight ass like all the time. Why? Gets the neuromuscular connection going. Get that cns pathway powerful buddy. Then, whatever exercises you find that do at least dust the gluteus, you will be able to maximize its recruitment. The ghr might even start to work (a bit). Furthermore, with an improved connection you will be able to better be able to find what works through experiment.
    4. Last but not least, unless I forgot what you said and got it backwards, you may be able to do quadruped hip extensions? On all fours, one knee on ground, one knee pointing behind you bent leg foot sole facing sky, then kicking sole straight up to sky, with ankle weights. A device that allows up to 100 lbs of weight is available. This will target gluteus nicely. You can have decline angle if you rest on forearms and grasp dumbells for stability.
    5. Alternatively, the worked leg can be unbent, held parallel or lower if necessary and the glute isometric ally contracted and pulsed while holding. This prevents any hip movement and might be right for you. This will hit the hams harder, but with improved cns connection this can become better than nothing.

Hope that helps